Chapter 38: The King’s Songbird
18 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

POSSIBLE TW: This chapter talks about Fae feeding on children. It also depicts enthralled/enchanted children. None of them are depicted being hurt or abused, but this still might be something difficult to hear about. Just wanted to give a fair warning just in case.

Chapter 38:

The King's Songbird

Cathrine treated me to a tour around the grounds, though it was more of a leisurely stroll as she greeted all of her guests. I let her lead me around, learning and watching. Her laughs were half-hearted. Her attention elsewhere.

Still, she played the proper host and those gathered tonight were none the wiser. I was content to play the part of her arm candy, and in turn, I made sure she knew I was paying attention to her. To bolster her confidence and lighten the anxiety in her heart.

A light brush of her hair at the nape of her neck. A whisper in her ear. A brush of my lips against her skin. This filled her with a radiance that gave her quite the confidence. She stood proudly next to me as if she was in complete control. For now, she was.

I never understood how people enjoyed such frivolities at these parties. Being greeted personally by the host. I suppose that was just my more introverted nature kicking in. When I was younger, I preferred staying in or finding a nice quiet place to read. I found socializing to be trivial and tedious.

As King, I had to join such festivities before. Calli always found it adorable how I squirmed under the scrutiny. Despite that, she would always give me confidence by standing by my side. The things she had done for me to make me feel more comfortable, I used on Catherine as well. This eased her into a sense of security with me.

"Julien..." Cathrine placed her hand affectionately upon my forearm, "I'm truly grateful that you're here. I was worried with the merger happening that you might be busy."

We were getting drinks at the bar in her parlor. The glasses hit the counter and the bartender moved away to give us privacy. I scanned the room as I took the drink and had a sip of it. The cool liquid slid down my throat with a surprisingly refreshing taste. Yet, once again, the familiar sting of alcohol just didn't hit right.

"Unfortunately, the merger has been postponed," I admitted regrettably with a sigh, "It seems they didn't get the message properly. I'll have to increase negotiations."

The merger in question was with a subdivision of Tempest and a foreign business that would skyrocket profits for Tempest while subsuming the other company. It was essentially a hostile takeover that was prettied up with fanciful words. I had put an end to it during my time pretending to be Julien.

Cathrine's touched on my arm grew a little serious as she leaned in towards me. Before she could say anything, I glanced at her and leaned in, taking her by the face gently. I looked upon her with an avid gaze. There was passion in my eyes. Desire. Of course, what kind of desire...well, the dangerous kind.

"Even if it had gone through, mi amor," I told her with an affectionately obsessive tone, "I'd not miss tonight for the world. So, rest assured. Nothing was stopping me from showing up."

This was true. I wasn't about to miss tonight for anything. I wanted to see her fall. To see her eyes filled with fear. To watch as she realizes her entire world has collapsed, but not before she squealed to me everything she knew. Her whimpers would be the highlight of my night.

Her lips parted partially before swallowing hard. Whatever she was about to say had been lost, replaced by a blush in her cheeks. She watched me with a lurid gaze.

"I said it before, but..." she caressed my arm with her fingers, moving closer to me, "There's something different about you tonight. Something more...commanding. Dangerous."

"Should I not be?" I inquired, sipping my drink with a smirk, "I've looked forward to this night for a while now. I'm not about to let external issues ruin it for me. Besides..."

I tilted her chin to look me in the eyes and tilted my head.

"You deserve someone just as commanding as you," I motioned towards the room with a nod of my head, "Look at them. They've gathered her for you. I have to step up my game if I'm to be worthy."

In that moment, I saw a flicker of hunger in her eyes. Glancing at the room, she stood proudly with a smug grin upon her lips.

"You're right," she said, leaning close to me, "Without me, the morale would drop. They come here. Beg at my feet. Just as you make your competitors beg."

I understood just what kind of person Cathrine was. She wanted to be at the top. She thought herself important. Believing that she was better than most. She had only one weakness. Julien.

Something about him had drawn her, and that was his ruthless business tactics. I could only chuckle to myself, remembering that just days before, he had been begging me for his life. I didn't know about Julien, but I certainly did make people beg.

"Well, someone has to show them their place," I responded coldly, a devilish glint to my eyes.

This practically made her quiver as she glanced up at me. Licking her lips, she tilted her head curiously.

"You know, Julien..." she said in almost hushed tone, "Are you hungry? I selected a few delicacies specifically for you."

She played with her fingers upon my chest, moving them up towards my face before cupping. She caressed my face lovingly, completely enraptured.

"I know it's not quite time to feast, but for you..." she smiled a cruel, vicious smile, "I'll make an exception. I always love seeing you work."

Meeting her gaze with one of my own, I placed my hand over hers and smiled in anticipation.

"Honestly, Cathrine..." I said to her with delight, "I'm quite famished. Lead the way."

Taking my hand, she led me from the room and further in the mansion. The noise of the party soon dwindled to a low, distance hum. Through corridors of dark colors and macabre statues, I followed her. I was indeed hungry. Starving, even.

Yet, I held myself back. Not here. Not out in the hall. Once I had her alone...a slow, satisfied grin spread across my face. This poor fool of a woman.

Throughout the night, I had watched Cathrine interact with her guests. She basked in their praise and the glory they threw at her feet. I saw in her what she wanted to be. A Queen.

The only thing I saw, however, was a pretender. A woman who was afraid of her own inferiority. Someone who couldn't stand anyone being better than her. The entire night, I had been stroking her ego. Luring her into a sense of security while learning all I could about this "party".

I knew what it was. I saw it for what it was. All of these Fae supported New Dawn in some fashion. She spoke of morale before. This party was to ensure their supporters that everything was fine. To placate their palates.

The mortals which hung on their every word were nothing but catatonic cattle. I saw the glaze in their eyes. The call of the Siren's Song. New Dawn was losing its grip, and what better time to throw a party than when everything was going to shit?

They pretended things were normal, but Cathrine's nervousness tonight was enough to tell me the truth. I could see the cracks and I almost felt sorry for them. The compassionate side of my heart which had been buried deep underneath the darkness of my hatred for years had been forced to the surface by the interference of those I hold dear, but in this particular instance...I pushed it back down.

I was grateful I no longer held only hatred in my heart, but the hatred I had for those who ruined my life would never be sated until New Dawn had paid in full everything they owed me. I couldn't feel compassion for a poor, misguided Siren with deluded visions of grandeur. Especially one who used the lives of others as bargaining chips. I refused.

"This way," she beckoned me down a hallway leading further into the estate, "I've found the perfect little treats for you."

The way she said that made my stomach sick. I could only imagine what she meant by that, but it wouldn't be long before I figured it out. Cathrine stopped before a door in the middle of the hall between two extravagant vases holding a bouquet of various flowers. She produced a key from within a pocket of her dress. Peeking at me from the corner of her eye, she smirked coyly.

"Have I mentioned how grateful I am for the pockets?" she chuckled, placing the key in the lock and turning it, "I wore this tonight just for you, but..."

She sounded a little disheartened, and I took that opportunity to move in. Sliding a hand along her lower back to her side, I gripped her firmly and pulled her close till there was no space between us. She inhaled sharply, a light blush to her face as her doe-like eyes turned towards me.

"Did you think I didn't notice?" I whispered sensually in her ear as I leaned close to her, "Trust me. I noticed. I was simply admiring my work quietly. Didn't want to distract you too much."

I gave her a charming smile, causing her blush to deepen.

"Well...maybe I wanted to be distracted," she smirked, pushing the door open to reveal a set of stairs leading down, "Follow me. I can't wait to show you what I've got."

She took my hand and led me onto the stairs, closing the door behind us. The moment the door closed, all sound ceased save for our footsteps. I made note of the wards upon the door and the stairs going down. It was intricate work, but nothing I couldn't handle. They would not detect me.

The stairs were dimly lit by blue light until we reached the landing. There, the room opened up into what looked like a large cellblock converted into a club, except instead of steel and concrete, there was wood and velvet. The walls were a dark midnight blue with maroon patterns depicting thorny vines.

Where there would be cells, there were instead lush, padded doors leading to what were essential small, private lounges. Built in semi-circular couches decorated each room with a black marble table in the center. Violet and blue lights illuminated everything via neon lights, and every so often, strobe lights basked the place in red.

It looked like this is where the "feast" Cathrine was talking about was to take place. It was empty now, but I could feel it. The thrum of life from further inside. Cathrine continued to pull me past the many private rooms into a much larger, what looked like dining and dance area.

The tables were set with black tablecloth and well cushioned chairs with golden accents. Before each seat was crystalline goblet and opulent tableware. They were all arranged before a stage. It was at this point that my stomach sunk.

I recalled many similar places such as this. Only they were a little less luxurious. It was where I had first met Jasmine, though I didn't know it was her at the time. They held auctions here before a crowd of Fae and a few mortals. These auctions...they were for slaves.

My jaw clenched, though I did my best not to show it. The thrum of life was getting closer now. She took me upon the stage and behind the velvet curtains, playing coyly with them as she led me along. She would be almost alluring, if not for me knowing about her sordid nature.

It wasn't like I didn't like dangerous women, but all I felt was sick to my stomach seeing her play with me. Of course, she did think I was Julien. Perhaps that's why I felt sick.

Here they were, playing and living their normal lives despite all the atrocities they've committed without a care in the world. You might be able to say the same about me with all the blood on my hands. Yet, you can't tell me that I've ever pretended things were okay. The joy in my life was taken...and only recently was I able to reclaim even a fraction of it.

I wasn't about to pretend I was a saint, but in the face of New Dawn and their ability to truly believe they were doing good...I might as well be one. After my fight with Harrison, I began to understand just how self-righteous and conceited they were. Everything they do, they believe they can do no wrong. This world is just a playground for them.

They wanted to mold it and shape it to their will. They didn't know that someone else was already in control of this world. They believed that it was Calli, my love and the Queen they once revered, but no. The one they should have come for. The one they should have killed...was me.

"Just in here," Cathrine smiled invitingly, pulling me towards a door behind the stage, "I've had them waiting just for you."

It was a wooden black door that responded to her touch. A blue rune activated as she hovered her hand over the door. It clicked and she pushed it open. Inside, all sense of mercy, pity, and compassion that I may have had vanished.

There were four children, two girls and two boys, seated on a couch inside. They looked to be completely entranced and dressed in simple, yet luxurious clothing. The girls all wore a sleek, modest black dress and the boys all wore black dress pants and a black long-sleeved shirt with slight Y-neckline.

"...How old are they?" I inquired softly, forcing a smile as I restrained the anger inside me.

Cathrine glanced at me with an all too knowing glint in her eye.

"I knew you'd like them," she cooed, draping herself over me as she motioned towards them, "The youngest is six. The oldest is nine. You always told me that children produce the best fear, and they're so full of life."

I couldn't do it anymore. I couldn't play along any further. I felt the beating of their hearts. The life within them. Cathrine was right about one thing. Children were quite full of life and looking at them...they had a long life yet to live.

One of the girls was a Faerie. Her wings had barely grown in, protruding out of the back of her dress. One of the boys was an Elf. Their ears long and pointed. The other two were Mortals.

"Children, please..." I held the door with a tight grip, trying not to shatter it, my voice calm and soothing, "Return to your rooms. I'm sure you know the way."

Though my voice was gentle, it echoed with power that broke through the enchantment placed upon them and another took its place. They stood, walking from the room and down the hall. Cathrine blinked in confusion.

"Julien...?" she looked to be worried now, "How did you...!"

As the last of the children left, I held Cathrine tightly in my arm, glancing down at her with a cold gaze.

"I'm sorry," I told her with a wicked smiled, "I think I'm going to skip right to the main course."

As I said this, the glamour I had placed upon me faded like water falling away from me. I was revealed in all my glory. Julien's emerald eyes were replaced by mine. Sapphires glowing deeply of amber with an inner hue of silver like living flame. I took in Cathrine, who soon came to a horrifying realization.

"Osran..." her eyes widened in terrified surprise, "Shit."

She tried to struggle, but it was no use as I closed the door on us. To the rest of the world, we no longer existed. She no longer existed. It was time to feast, and damn was I starving.

-----

Fear. A useful tool. Even the most hardened of Fae and Mortals alike broke under its pressure. The looming, imminent threat of death.

They became irrational. Pleading and begging for their lives. Yet, some...some became paralyzed in the face of fear. Unable to handle the reality before them, they chose to invent a new one for their own sanity.

"J-Julien," Cathrine blinked, chuckling in hysteria, "What kind of joke is this?"

She tried to play off her fear even as she already realized who was before her. I found it almost cute the way she broke under her fear, but that wouldn't do. I couldn't have her losing her mind before I got what I wanted out of it.

"I'm afraid this isn't a joke, mi amor," I teased her, my tone dripping with disgust, "Don't tell me...you actually fell for me? Perhaps you even prefer me to him?"

I smirked cruelly, hand gripping her lower back. She simply stared blankly at me, no longer able to struggle.

"A simple touch, a frivolous word..." I sighed, shaking my head, "It was so easy to win you over. I wonder if Julien played you. Used you."

Her eyes flashed at the mention of being used. Suddenly they were angry as she gripped the suit I wore tightly.

"No one uses me," she growled, her pride having taken a hit, "Not even-"

Before she finished her sentence, my face became Julien's once more as I leaned down towards her ear.

"Me?" I whispered in his voice before turning my face and voice back, "Or me? You were more than willing to be used earlier. In fact, you were quite looking forward to it if I recall."

She blushed deeply as she scowled at me.

"Crude..." she muttered with distaste, "What have you done with him?"

"Julien?" I smirked, and in a quick motion flung Cathrine onto the couch where she landed with a swift, yet soft, thud, "Your little boytoy is broken. I returned him to be fixed."

I thought I was funny, but Cathrine didn't. As she recovered from being tossed like a ragdoll, she glared at me with vehemence.

"If you so much as touched him, I'll-" she began, but her words were cut short as I placed my foot next to her and leaned towards her.

"You'll what?" I inquired, a dangerous aura around me, "By all means. He thought he could do something too."

Cathrine had reached the stage in her fear when belligerence took over. No longer paralyzed, she struggled to fight with the rising panic and the only way to do that was with anger. Yet, with anger no longer being an option, she resorted to the only trick she had...her bloodline.

As she opened her mouth to speak her Siren's Song, I smiled and listened with intent. Her song was beautiful. Enthralling, even. However, to my ears it was just a pleasant melody.

I swayed my head, waving a hand to the tune of her song with a smile upon my face. It took her a moment to realize that it had no effect. Slowly, she ceased her song and I feigned being disappointed.

"Well, come on, don't stop there," I sighed, shaking my head before gripping her firmly by the face, "Sing."

Her eyes wavered before she obeyed without thought. I didn't use a single hint of my power upon her. It was fear fueling my words. I released her and began listening to her song once more.

"That's it," I nodded, taking my foot from the cushion, "A beautiful melody, Cathrine. I'm sure it's enchanted many people over your long life."

She sang for fear of if she ended her song early, she'd incur my wrath. So long as she sang, I would retain my cool. In this room were several chairs and a bed. Most likely, Julien and her had spent many nights in here. This place even had a television and a minibar.

It even had a bathroom through a second door. I knew this, for as she sang, I grew curious about the room. Satisfied with my curiosity, I pulled one of the chairs before her, sitting in it and giving her my rapt attention.

"I mean it when I say you have a lovely voice," I praised before clicking my tongue, genuinely disappointed this time, "Yet, you use it for such shit. Children? Really? You feed on children."

I sighed, leaning back in the chair and enjoying her song. She watched me with terrified eyes, though her song never wavered. Her notes were light. Melodic. It was a gentle song with an uplifting tune.

"You know, the Vampires you wish to imitate..." I explained, crossing my hands before me, "They'd never touch a child. They have rules against that, you know. Not just them. We have rules against that."

I've said it before, but among the Fae, children were off limits to be fed upon. There were exceptions to this, but very, very few. None of these exceptions ever harmed the child. They ate nightmares or basked in their joyous emotions, but never took from them.

Most Fae thrived off of a child's imagination. Born of their delight. This was much different from feeding upon them. To take from a child was to condemn them to a life of hollowness. A sense of loss where happiness had been. Where love had been.

There were some among the Fae who saw such empty husks as delicacy. That loss they thrived on. I shuddered to recall that this almost happened to me...if not for Calli.

I had wandered off away from her, alone in one of the woods of the Faelands. A Hag had made it her home, and naive as I was at the time, I trusted the woman. She took me in, fed me sweets and pies. However, as I ate, I felt myself begin to grow sad.

The joy of eating this food had left me hollow. Suddenly, everything felt like ash in my mouth. It was then, just as the hag was about to feast upon the loss and leave me forever empty, Callista burst open the Hag's hut, berating me for leaving her behind. The Hag recoiled from her and joy once more filled my heart.

I bounded from my chair and presented Calli with a piece of the pie that I had been eating. She gave me an exasperated, tender as if to say "What am I going to do with you?" before taking the pie from me and killing the Hag right then and there. She then took me by the hand and escorted me back to safety.

Looking at my hand now, I remembered that she didn't let go for a long, long time. Even back then, she helped me when I was lost and made sure that I stayed on the right path. We were both children then, but she was so much wiser than I ever was. Perhaps that was because Fae didn't mature or grow like Mortals, but...well, she remained wiser even as we grew together.

A sudden quiet filled the room and my focus returned to Cathrine. The memories of the past faded away, leaving me with a bitter feeling.

"I didn't tell you to stop," I said coolly, "Continue."

"B-But...my throat, I can't..." she rubbed her neck with a grimace upon her face.

Her voice did sound coarse, but I wasn't about to let her rest. Glancing over at the bar, I saw bottles of water upon the counter. Reaching out a hand, I beckoned one of them to me. It flew into my hand and I tossed it towards her.

"Drink," I ordered, watching her closely, "I don't want to hear you stop again, except to take a drink or I tell you to stop. Do you understand?"

She nodded as she sipped from the water before resuming.

"Do you know why I'm having you sing?" I inquired and she shook her head, though her singing never stopped, "It's because you've used that voice of yours in the ritual, didn't you?"

As if hitting the nail on the head, she flinched as a gap in her singing appeared. Raising an eyebrow, I tilted my head towards her and she was quick to resume. I could feel the power of her voice from here and sense the blood inside of her. She was a partially awakened Siren. Her voice held the ability to captivate and enthrall whole rooms of people.

"I want to hear it," I continued, leaning casually on one arm, head rested in my hand, "I want to hear the voice you used to destroy my life, but first...you can stop. I want to know how long until this feast you mentioned."

Cathrine's song came to a soft end, though as it did, she began to cough and immediately sipped water. I couldn't imagine that she should have this much struggle, but perhaps she wasn't used to prolonged, continuous singing. I watched her closely, waiting for her to answer. Finally, she did.

"M-Midnight...roughly," she took several breaths, looking at me with a slightly defiant glare, "Are you going to kill them?"

"Well, that depends..." I leaned forward, "How much of a good girl are you going to be? Oh, but you will die. Don't be mistaken on that. The question there is...how painful is it going to be?"

Her eyes darted away, and I could see her thinking. Trying to figure a way out of this. There wasn't. She knew this, and so she chose to return to being defiant.

"Then just kill me," she scoffed, shaking her head in defeat, "Why play with me like this? Why...agh!"

I lunged forward, hand shooting out to grab her hair roughly and pull her to me. I held her by the fistful of hair I had grabbed, tilting my head with a dangerous, cold gaze. Narrowing my eyes, I got so close to her that my lips might as well have been touching her. I stared right into her eyes...no. I was looking directly into her soul.

"Why?" I could almost not believe the audacity, "Really? Why? Because you played with me. Do you think I could just forgive it that easily? Oh, I have mercy, but for someone like you...you'll need to earn it."

I tightened my grip upon her hair and brought my other hand up to grab her by the face. I could feel my eyes glowing with that newly founded silver flame like a twinkling star in the night. I saw her terrifyingly captivated by it.

"Now, midnight is still a few hours away," I told her with barely contained rage, "I suggest you continue to sing now. Let me here your pretty little voice till it breaks...and then, then the real fun begins."

I released her with a rough toss back to the couch and leaned back. I saw as she made a decision right then and there. Deep in her soul, she knew. She knew that she wasn't going to leave this room without satisfying me, and so...she sang. She sang as if her life depended on it, for it did.

Nonstop for several hours. I didn't ask questions. I simply listened. I felt the power woven into her voice. I could hear it begin to crack. Still, she persevered.

I felt her blood respond to her determination, and I ignited it. The persistence in her singing began to break the seed of awakening which had half-sprouted. Soon, it burst forth and blossomed into something glorious. Just in time for the clock to strike midnight.

Her voice broke, cracked, and she began to cough up blood. However, as she did, her body went through a change. Power surged through her and repaired the damage done. It was then that she realized...she had awakened.

The delight and feeling of euphoria upon her face was adorable to see. She had finally attained one of her goals. To become something more. I saw as her skin appeared to glisten, as if she had just shed her old and a new one had grown in its place.

Within her eyes, the red flecks twinkled with an inner light. It was always a beautiful thing to see someone awaken. It wasn't a common thing, but in this particular instance...I may have forced it a bit. She had already started on the process, I just helped finish it.

"Congratulations," I stated with a slow clap of my hands, "You've awakened."

"Yes, I can feel it..." she looked at herself, clenching her fists and testing her voice, "This is...incredible. Finally, I'll..."

Her words faded away, just like the smile upon her face as she met my gaze. I was looking at her like a ripe fruit ready to be plucked. She immediately deflated, understanding by the wicked smirk upon my lips that I had hoped for this. In fact, I had helped her.

"Oh, don't stop on my account," I chuckled, motioning towards her, "Please, you were saying? Finally, you'll...?"

"Nothing..." she responded dejectedly, "It doesn't matter, does it? You'll still kill me. You wanted this, didn't you?"

I simply shrugged nonchalantly. I saw her think about it for a second. To use her newfound power on me, but she thought better of it.

"You're smarter than Julien," I commented, seeing her wince from hearing his name, "He tried to attack me in his final moments. You, however, know better. That's good."

"Why?" she asked that annoying question again, "Why did you help me if you're just going to kill me?"

"Because..." I sighed, shifting to a more comfortable position, "You're going to help me. With that voice, you took everything from me. So, with that same voice...you're going to destroy everything you earned by it."

I took great delight to see the sudden realization hit. The reason I hadn't killed her yet. The reason I had helped her awaken right before the "feast". Whatever light had been in her eyes faded into obscurity. It was even more adorable than when she was delighted about her awakening.

"That's my girl..." I smiled and pushed myself up from the chair, "If you listen to me, I'll make things easier for you. I'm a man of my word, you know."

Making my way over to her, I traced a single finger along her jaw to her chin, tilting her head to look up at me.

"If you understand, nod," I spoke softly, and she nodded, "That's good. We have a show to put on, mi amor."

My eyes glowed with an inner power. A menacing aura enveloping me as the room flickered into shadows. She watched in complete defeat as I took on the guise of Julien Gale once more. Taking her by the hand, I lifted her up and adjusted her to look presentable. She simply stood there, unable to act. Unable to think.

Fear. It was a useful tool. Placing my arm around her waist, I gave her the best charming smile I could.

"All you have to do is enchant them," I told her in Julien's voice, "You can do that, can't you? Force them to tear their throats out for your pleasure."

"So...you're not killing them," she chuckled dejectedly, "How much of a good girl I can be...that's what you meant."

"Oh, yes," my smile turned wicked, "You can do that, right?"

She took a moment, weighing her options, but she saw only one. Leaning into me, she placed a hand upon my chest, looking away almost sheepishly.

"...Yeah, I can," she steeled herself, looking up at me with those familiar doe-like eyes, "Anything for you, Julien..."

I softly scoffed, for I saw in her eyes her broken spirit. She was playing her part perfectly, and as she agreed, I sealed it with but a whisper of power. A golden collar manifested around her neck with a chain connected to it and forming in my hand upon her waist.

"Perfect," I stated, and the leash faded out of view, though the weight of it Cathrine still felt.

With that, we stepped from the room to the waiting crowd.

-----

0