Cup 30: +1 Member Joined the Party!
88 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sylfie slid across the table, swiping the drinks and gulping them both down before Wisteria finally froze her.

“You couldn’t have done that before?!” Ryu exclaimed.

“Getting frozen hurts! I was trying to be considerate!” Wisteria huffed.

“I’m sorry about her,” Ryu apologized to Giuseppe and Gia.

“Ha! Not at all. Some people just can’t resist the allure of a good brew,” Giuseppe chortled.

We really need to get her some help. This can’t be healthy. Ryu contemplated at the sight of Sylfie’s euphoric expression, preserved in ice.

Gia cleared her throat, redirecting their attention back to her. “After assessing your brews and taking into careful consideration all the elements that went into creating the final product, I’ve made my decision.”

Ryu and Giuseppe leaned forward, eager to know the results. The patrons of the café moved their seats closer to Gia, their interests piqued. By her remarks, the decision was likely to go either way.

“The winner for the latte Brew Battle is…no one! I declare this battle a tie!”

Ryu stood dumbfounded for a moment while Giuseppe slapped his knee, doubled over. It took a moment for the café owner to collect himself before he addressed Ryu.

“I’m not sure if you’ve faced Coffee Brewers with ranks higher than mine, but as a Novice Brewer to be matching the level of a Seasoned Brewer, you’ve got serious talent,” Giuseppe commended him.

“You told me before, remember?” Ryu chuckled. “That I had potential for great things or something.”

“Hmm? Oh! That was for another thing,” Giuseppe corrected him. “You see, Jörm is a friend of mine. He let me know all about your exploits.”

“Oh.” Ryu grimaced, as Wisteria leaned in front of him with a smug smile.

“Well,” —Giuseppe clapped his hands together— “it looks like we have a tie. I guess this can go one of two ways then. Either we both give each other something based on the terms that we agreed upon or neither of us has to give anything up.”

He didn’t look particularly sad about the outcome. In fact, he looked positively elated by the verdict. Ryu finally realized what had transpired.

“You went easy on me,” he said.

“What gave you that idea?” Giuseppe replied, raising an eyebrow.

“The criteria—you intentionally ignored it. It wasn’t for some gag, but so that our lattes would be on a level playing field.”

Giuseppe shrugged. “Everything you just said is speculation. It can’t be proven. The way I see it, I got distracted by a high-class ingredient and it cost me the match.”

Ryu frowned; he was bothered by the fact that he had been taken lightly. Although, his respect for Giuseppe only grew. The man had concocted an outcome that resulted in a win-win situation without calling into question his own skill as a Coffee Brewer.

Ryu couldn't argue for a better result. He had nothing to lose by sharing his cold brew recipe, and he desperately wanted to know the secret behind Giuseppe’s specialty drink.

They exchanged recipes, Ryu’s excitement turning to confusion. “Pineapple extract?”

“That’s right. Pineapple contains a proteolytic enzyme mixture called bromelain. Proteolytic simply means it breaks down proteins. Coupled with the fruit’s natural acidity, it makes for a unique sensation on the tongue and the inside of your mouth,” Giuseppe explained.

“I would’ve never thought of that,” Ryu stated in awe.

“But you somehow thought of rhododendron extract?” Wisteria interjected. “Your brain has to be wired differently.”

Ryu mumbled an incoherent retort about seeing it on the internet, thawing Sylfie out with [Combustion]. Giuseppe tapped him on the shoulder once he had finished, handing him a bag of coffee berries. “Here, a present from Gia and I.”

Ryu graciously accepted, placing the coffee berries in his satchel.

“Won’t you stay a while?” Gia inquired.

Ryu glanced at Sylfie, soaking and shivering. He shook his head. “Unfortunately, we have some things to take care of back home. We're leaving first thing in the morning tomorrow. Plus, we’ll need to get her into dry clothes, or else she’ll catch a cold. Maybe some other time,” he said, apologetically.

“Send our regards to Hazel and Jörm, will you?” Giuseppe requested.

“Will do,” Ryu nodded.

They left, returning to the Huxley Manor for their final night in Kopi City. Mathias and Sir Reginald were still on leave for business so it was just the four of them and Sir Maxwell to tend to their needs.

They sat around the dining table making small talk.

“We have our shipment of Volthalla beans now. I suppose we’ll have to head out tomorrow,” Ryu sighed. He had enjoyed his stay in the city. Their trip felt too short to qualify as such. It was more of a weekend retreat than anything else.

“I think it’s good that we’re going back, finally,” Sylfie remarked, reclining back in her chair. “The city is fun and all but we have obligations to Grandmother and the café,” she pointed out.

“True, and I think Aurora’s better off in a small town; the city’s too overwhelming for her,” Ryu stated, stroking her dark fur as she slept in his lap.

Wisteria frowned. She hadn’t said a word since arriving back at the manor.

“Something wrong?” Ryu asked her, concerned.

She shook her head. “It’s nothing, just…”

Ryu and Sylfie exchanged a glance. “You’re coming with us, right?” Sylfie spoke first.

Wisteria’s eyes lit up in surprise. “W-what do you mean?”

“We sorta assumed you’d be traveling along with us. You’re always hanging around the café, and we like spending time with you—Aurora especially.”

“That’s right, nya,” the cat yawned sleepily, overhearing their conversation.

“Y-you mean it?” Wisteria stammered, almost in tears.

“Y-yes! We mean it!” Ryu exclaimed, trying to console her. “Plus, I need a mentor for water-based magic. Who better to teach me than you?”

Wisteria wiped her eyes, managing a smile. “You’ll do just fine on your own in the early stages, but once you get to higher levels, spells require greater technical expertise; it’s important to have a guide.”

“Exactly! So, what do you say?” Ryu extended a hand to her. “Join our party?”

Wisteria nodded, happily taking his hand. Sylfie embraced the two of them as they celebrated the addition of a new party member. They woke Aurora, though she didn’t mind, joining in on the festivities.

They popped a champagne bottle provided by Sir Maxwell to mark the occasion. Sylfie was closely monitored by Ryu, not wanting a repeat of the last time the elf had too much to drink. Thankfully, the night proceeded without issue.

As they were winding down, getting ready for bed, Sylfie jumped out of her seat waving Ryu and Wisteria over.

“What is it, nya?” Aurora asked curiously, hovering over them.

Ryu beamed when he saw what Sylfie wanted to show them. A nervous excitement shot through him. His experiences in the Wildlands had made him wary of venturing into the unknown, but the allure of the note in front of him was too great to pass up.

It was a message from Jörm, sent to Sylfie via the System.

[New dungeon discovered! We’re still scoping out the area and sending in some feelers before we can properly categorize the level requirements. Should take about two weeks to finalize. In the meantime, focus on leveling up our hero! I’d like to see him join us for this one if permissible. Cheers!] -Jörm.

Ryu could hardly wait.

6