Cup 39: Destroy the Dungeon Master!
65 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ryu groaned, placing his palms on the floor. He mustered the strength to push himself up, his eyes fluttering in a daze. The room was spinning, and he hadn’t a clue on how he wound up across the arena, the faint sound of muddled voices closing in on him. His ears rang, causing him to place a finger on one of them. He felt liquid; warm and sticky.

He looked at his fingers, confused. They were red. He could feel a similar warmth slowly run down his forehead, making its way past the side of his nose and across his cheeks until it finally collected under his chin.

“Ryu!” a figure yelled, followed by a flying black speck.

Ryu squinted his eyes, the figure and the tiny dot growing larger as they zoomed towards him.

“The Ursa, nya!” the dot exclaimed.

“Get out of the way!” the silver-haired figure warned.

Ryu turned too late to see the enormous blue and white creature bearing down on him, its muscles rippling with effort as it brought down its fists.

He felt a pressure in his chest as the figure pushed him out of the way, bearing the brunt of the beast’s attack. The floor shattered, cracks in the ice running the entirety of the area. Shards embedded themselves in Ryu’s arms as he gritted his teeth, pushed back by the impact. It was only then that he realized who had saved him. Ryu’s eyes widened at the elf and black cat lying motionless in the crater.

“Sylfie! Aurora!” he screamed. Fear gripped his chest. Aurora’s immortal. She’ll be fine, but Sylfie…

He snapped into action dodging another giant ground slam. The [Aggro] had worn off, allowing Ryu to scoop up his comrades and bolt towards the others without a moment’s hesitation.

“Wisteria! Tend to Sylfie’s wounds first and then take a look at Aurora!” he commanded.

“R-right!” she stammered, her eyes wide and her lips trembling.

“Freyja, Jörm, Tyr! I’ll need your help!” he stated.

“What do you need us to do?” Freyja asked, awaiting his order.

Ryu glanced at the Ursa Glacius, massive icicles forming across the entirety of its hide and turning its fur darker blue and spikier. It let out a guttural roar, the ice on its body glowing.

[WARNING: Ursa Glacius health at critical values]

[Boss Health: 10%]

[Berserk Mode Activated: Hyperboreal Breath]

[Hide Defense Bonus: Fire Resistance]

[Hide Defense Bonus: Darkness Resistance]

“It’s charging up its attack! Everybody move!” Ryu yelled.

The party dove to the ground as the Ursa Glacius released a beam of supercooled air, annihilating parts of the arena and turning it into ice.

“Fire and darkness are its weaknesses, just like the Vorpal Goblins,” Ryu explained. “But in its Berserk Mode, its fur has gained resistance against these elements.”

Freyja furrowed her brow. “So what you’re saying is—”

“We have to kill it from the inside,” Ryu sighed, grimacing.

“Just our luck,” Tyr frowned.

“Someone will need to get in close to land an attack inside,” Jörm pointed out.

“It’ll have to be me. You three are too big to fit,” Ryu stated, not thrilled by the prospect of being eaten alive.

“If that thing decides to shoot another ice beam out of its mouth, you’re toast!” Freyja exclaimed. “Or whatever the cold equivalent to that is.”

“It’s the only way. I’ll need your help to get me in close—”

The Dungeon Master slammed the ground violently in a fit of rage, causing the icicles from the ceiling to fall down.

Ryu and the others evaded the attack, weaving through the icicles that had already dropped, and rolling out of the way of the ones that were in motion. He glanced back at Wisteria, her jaw clenched as she employed a great deal of effort to maintain concentration while healing Sylfie. A small group of adventurers, left behind to protect her, shielded the mage and her patients from the onslaught of icicles.

Aurora’s ears twitched as she started to wake, slightly alleviating Ryu though he knew she would come to eventually.

“Listen up!” He explained his plan as he and the rest of the adventurers charged at the Dungeon Master.

“You hear that, men?!” Freyja yelled.

“Aye!!” they answered in unison.

Ryu hoped this would work, otherwise, he would become little more than a human popsicle. He shook his head, glaring at the beast. His blood boiled, his grip on the [Storm Lance] so tight that his knuckles had turned whiter than his already porcelain skin.

The Ursa dug its claws into the ice, pulling its arms up in quick succession. It flung frozen shards at the crew, sniping a few in their limbs.

Party members fell down left and right until only a few stragglers remained, though none suffered severe injuries. They split up, breaking off to either side as Ryu charged straight ahead.

Freyja brandished her weapon like a lasso, throwing the chain around one of the Ursa’s arms and pinning it to the ground. The blade embedded itself deep into the ice, melting the upper layer and traveling well below the surface.

The monster roared in protest, shaking its head about. Tyr and Jörm attacked its other arm; the same one they had wounded prior.

“Round two, tubby!” Jörm yelled, raising his shield as the Ursa attempted to gouge his face out.

Tyr came from the side and lopped the beast’s arm off, sending it into a raging fit. It howled in pain, opening its jaws wide.

Ryu made use of the opportunity created by the others and looked for a way to launch himself up in the air.

“Here!” Bronson called out from behind him.

Ryu didn’t hesitate, running towards the new recruit and climbing on top of his shield.

“[Shield Break]!” Bronson invoked, sending Ryu right above his target.

The Ursa Glacius spotted him, its form shimmering. A massive amount of energy collected in its throat, ready to fire.

“Oh no you don’t!” Ryu exclaimed, his eyes burning with rage. He pulled back the [Storm Lance] cocking his arm. The flames that engulfed his weapon distorted the air around them due to their heat.

Ryu grit his teeth ignoring the pain as the heat burned his arm. He screamed at the top of his lungs, invoking a spell that would finally smite the beast.

“Burn to Ash and Cinder: [Crimson Point]!”

4