Cup 42: Mixology
57 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As soon as they had arrived back at Hazel’s café, Ryu rushed behind the counter. He had appointed himself bartender for the night, pouring himself a shot of vodka, his personal favorite, and downing it without a second to spare. Tonight was a night he cared not to remember.

The coffee liqueur had been easy enough to make. Ryu had grabbed a few items from the pantry: vanilla beans, chocolate, sugar, some espresso, water, and more vodka. He had simply heated the sugar, water, and espresso in a pot, combining them and bringing the mixture to a boil. Once the ingredients had emulsified, he turned the heat down, bringing the pot to a low simmer.

After an hour, the consistency of the mixture turned syrupy. Ryu hummed a carefree tune as he proceeded to stir the pot, the aromatics of the espresso filling the entire café with the rich scent of cacao. He removed the pot from the heat letting the syrup cool.

In another pot, Ryu melted the chocolate, adding it to the syrup along with a healthy amount of vodka. He scraped the seeds out of the vanilla pods and into the syrup, finishing the prep work for the ingredients to ferment.

After pouring the syrup into a container, Ryu stored it in a cupboard. He cast [Nullify] in reverse to speed up the fermentation process, and strained the contents, finally producing a completed batch of coffee liqueur.

The guild members watched with great intrigue and curiosity as Ryu flipped around bottles of alcohol, coffee liqueur, and other ingredients to make his cocktails. They crowded around him, eager to be first in line to taste the rising brewer’s latest creation. He eyeballed the measurements, tasting as he went to ensure an amicable balance between flavors.

“Alright! I’m gonna start simple and then things are going to get a teensy more complex,” Ryu announced to the guild. He downed another shot and started making his first cocktail of the night.

“You know, it’s an improvement over your last title,” Hazel remarked.

“Ah, don’t worry about it,” Ryu stated, starting to feel a light buzz. “Tonight is a night for celebration!”

The elderly elf chuckled, shaking her head. “I’ve had a long day, but I’m glad you all are in such high spirits. I would tell you to keep the mess to a minimum, but knowing you people, it’s probably best I say 'Clean up your mess in the morning'. Don’t worry about work tomorrow either, the café will be closed.”

“Thanks, boss! You’re the best!” Ryu beamed.

“Yeah, yeah. I’d rather not have the townsfolk stumble upon a building full of hungover adventurers. Consider this an impromptu holiday. Luckily, I’ve got business to attend to, so closing up shouldn’t be an issue. Enjoy yourselves,” she finished, retiring upstairs with an amused smile on her face.

Ryu grinned, pouring coffee liqueur and whiskey together. “First up! Who wants it?!”

A raucous uproar broke out amongst the crowd as every able-bodied adventurer fought for a chance to taste the first cocktail of the night. Still, there wasn’t a doubt in his mind about who would be the first to try the drink.

Sylfie darted over the crowd with blistering speed, swiping the glass out of Ryu’s hand in a split second. While she was occupied Ryu whipped up a few more glasses, handing them out to the crowd.

Ryu began to feel a teensy bit tipsy after taking one of the coffee liqueur and whiskey mixes for himself, moving to the pour-over station to start on his second cocktail. He brewed up a fresh batch of black coffee and mixed rum and whipped cream, balancing the sweet and bitter flavors perfectly. Again, his elf companion swiped the drink, unyielding in her thirst for more caffeine.

Ryu started taking requests for different types of alcohol to meet the tastes of the adventurers that had yet to be served, creating a similar black coffee and cream mix with tequila instead of rum. It seemed to be a big hit, although he refrained from tasting it himself as the flavor of tequila wasn’t his favorite; the aftertaste never sat well with him.

Ryu tried out different combinations, adding orange zest to his cold brew and bourbon mixes, or making a simple mocha with a hearty serving of coffee liqueur and cocoa powder. He was simply having too much fun brewing and serving drinks to the guild. The regular bartending staff joined him, helping out where they could and sampling the plethora of drink mixes he had concocted.

Laughter rang through the air as mugs sloshed with ale and glasses were tipped at precarious angles, spilling cocktails as the guild members got progressively drunker. Ryu felt warm seeing the jovial faces of his friends as they shared stories and drinks. Although, he did suspect the warmth in his chest may have had something to do with the copious amount of drinking he had also partaken in.

As the night went on, Ryu became bolder in his combinations, fashioning a long island of sorts out of coffee liqueur, black coffee, rum, vodka, tequila, gin, and some orange-flavored liqueur.

The dangerous combination was enough to push the already drunk crowd over the edge, venturing headfirst into blackout territory. Sylfie and Wisteria were both slumped on the table, with Aurora grasped tightly in Wisteria’s arms.

“Ryu! Help!” Aurora squeaked, trying to wiggle her way to freedom.

Ryu was too drunk to take notice, however, much to her chagrin. “If I end up a pancake, I’m gonna be really mad, nya!” Aurora pouted.

Tyr and Jörm sat beside the ladies, gripping the edge of the table for dear life as they tried not to fall over. Bronson lay splayed out on the floor, the first to pass out. He snored loudly, a look of pure bliss on his face.

Only Ryu and Freyja seemed to be slightly cognisant, though both their speech was heavily slurred. They leaned forward to speak to each other over the commotion as more adventurers went down around them.

“Thish wash a good idea,” Freyja said, swaying.

“Heh, you think sho? It looksh like we went *burp* overboard, don’t you think?” Ryu replied, chuckling.

“Nah,” Freyja grinned, shaking her head. “You ever think about joining our party?”

Ryu looked over at his party, two members down for the count. Aurora finally relented in her struggle, accepting her fate. This made him chuckle. He couldn't have picked a better group to watch his back. “I’m happy with where I’m at,” he stated.

Freyja sighed, disappointedly. “Ah, that’sh too bad. I enjoy your company.”

“I thought you didn’t like weak men?” Ryu snorted.

“I don’t. But capable men who aren’t all mushles,” —she shot an annoyed glance at Tyr and Jörm who had finally collapsed to the floor— “I like that. Beshides did you shee yourshelf in the dungeon? I wash verrrry impresshed,” she stated, giving him a sly smile.

“Thanksh,” Ryu grinned, bashfully.

“Sho, how about we head upshtairs?”

“Huh?” Ryu blinked.

“You heard me,” Freyja smiled again, licking her lips.

Ryu gulped. He eyed the Amazonian-like warrior; strong, fierce, bold, and exceptionally gorgeous. He wasn’t necessarily opposed to her advances, but his biggest fear was of the injuries he would most likely sustain if he accepted. A broken pelvis is no joke!

Freyja waited patiently for his answer, raising an eyebrow. “Well?”

Ryu contemplated the situation, weighing out the pros and cons. He had already missed his chance once before. When would he get another offer like this? He steeled his nerves, deciding that the risk was worth it. I can always heal myself later, right? That is, if I don't die first.

He nodded, a nervous excitement coursing through his body.

“Lead the way.”

3