Ch. 4 Faithful Women
301 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The moment she had been dreading had finally arrived.

In that moment, the woman gave up on everything.

A few years ago, she had been revered as a saint in a certain church. But suddenly, she was cast out and found herself captured by devils. It was only after being captured by the devils that she learned it had all been part of their scheme. The devils spoke directly to her, relishing in her despair.

From that point on, her days were filled with humiliation. She was violated, stripped of her dignity, defiled, tormented, harassed, tortured, broken, and violated again. It was a never-ending cycle.

She pretended to be subservient to the devils, obediently catering to their desires. It was less painful that way. She felt regret, pain, and shame. But above all, she felt resentment. Why didn't the God she had prayed to so fervently come to her aid?

To make matters worse, she was not the first nor the last. Many other girls, saints and holy knights, were captured by devils and violated just like her. She couldn't do anything for them. She could only offer them a tiny bit of comfort, sharing in their pain and holding them gently. Her freedom to pray to God had been taken away, leaving her with only tears. Nevertheless, she didn't want to die. She wanted to live, even if she couldn't go to the presence of God.

Those days, too, came to an end. In a terrible sense.

The devil who was their "master" had found the target he had been searching for. It was a girl who had been treated as a healing saint in the church but had been exiled due to the devils’ scheme. After being taken in by a fallen angel, her whereabouts became unknown. It was sad to see more victims, but there was nothing she could do. Neither her heart nor her body could resist the fear of this devil.

She discovered the girl she was after while accompanying the devil, but there was a woman in a red military uniform by the girl's side.

It wasn't a trap, it seemed. Rather than being with the woman in the military uniform, the girl seemed to be dragged around by her.

They made contact when they were alone on the outskirts of town, and as soon as the woman in the military uniform spotted the devil, she shouted.

"Sterilize!"

The devil was already in a sorry state. It was impressive to have cornered a high-ranking devil like this with only bare hands and a pistol, without the use of the church warriors' light swords or guns. Surely, she was a renowned warrior.

The devil crawling on the ground denied the current situation.

"N-No, it can't be true! A mere human couldn't defeat me! A non-exorcist human couldn't be my opponent! I am Diadora of the House of Astaroth!"

"I see. I will remember that name for future prevention. Disinfection!"

 

The sound of a gunshot reverberated. The devil that had violated them had finally died. However, for the former saint, a victim of the devil, it was not a relief. As evidenced by the fact that the woman in the military uniform was now pointing the gun at her. And with an unforgiving voice and an uncompromising attitude, she made her announcement.

"You are sick."

Seeing her refer to devils as pathogens, she was likely an exorcist. It was inevitable considering her deep disdain for devils. She might be a rogue exorcist, but the result would be the same. She would be killed as a devil. It was fortunate that her opponent was not a man, at least.

However, the woman in the military uniform uttered words completely different from what she had expected.

"I will begin treatment now. However, this place is unsanitary. There is a hospital nearby, so we will perform the procedure in their operating room."

"...Eh?"

In her astonishment, the woman in the military uniform continued to aim her gun at her. But she showed no signs of firing. She didn't release her finger from the trigger either.

"Didn't you hear? We will extract the foreign object, the 'Evil Piece,' from within your body. Cooperate and receive treatment. If the patient resists, treatment cannot progress."

"Uhm...?"

"Please, listen to the doctor's orders. Once the doctor decides to do something, she follows through."

The girl, who had been the target of the devils, warned her.

She had seen her picture before, but her impression was quite different. She had heard she was a sheltered girl treated as a saint in the church, but she exuded a madness that didn't fit that image. Undoubtedly, it was due to the influence of the woman in the military uniform.

"With the cooperation of certain individuals, we have established a method to eliminate the pathogens spread by vermin-like creatures such as the one earlier, and cure illnesses like yours. There are no issues. Rehabilitation will be necessary, but there will be no side effects with this treatment."

She tried to deny those words. The ‘Evil Piece’ was not something that could be removed from the body. She had never heard of such a thing being extracted. Except for very few exceptions, the devil piece within the body should disappear upon death. There was no convenient story about them returning to being human. She attempted to dismiss the woman in the military uniform in that way.

"You are sick."

The woman in the military uniform repeated calmly.

"Humans are diurnal creatures. It is unnatural for them to be in better condition at night. It is impossible for them to have headaches when offering prayers. Humans do not possess such physiological functions. I repeat, you are sick. You may not be aware of it. The root cause of the illness is the foreign object in the form of chess pieces within your body. The means to extract them have already been established. If it can be cured, the illness must be treated."

The woman in the military uniform asserted. The 'Evil Piece' was a formidable pathogen, she feared.

 

"The vermin we exterminated before claimed it was a miracle that could revive the dead... I admit that even if it is a forced action, it is an act of prolonging life. However, if it results in falling ill in exchange, it is not treatment. Moreover, forcing the patients to work excessively. It is nothing but a disease that defiles the bodies of the deceased."

Indeed, there was no compromise and no mercy, but there was a strong conviction. A stronger conviction than when she was a saint, wanting to save people, wanting to prove that she could save them.

"That illness should be treated promptly."

If, as the woman in the military uniform said, it was possible to extract the 'Evil Piece'. If reincarnated devils could return to being human. There were children she wanted to be saved before herself.

"I-I don't matter... Please, if you can save them, please help those children! Th-those children are not at fault! Please, please save them!"

The former saint sobbed and prayed. She prayed as she did in the past, even if it caused her headaches. Not to God, but to the woman before her. She had no choice but to clasp her hands together and pray.

"S-So, if they can be helped, please, I beg you, help those children! They-they are innocent! Please, help them!"

In response to the weeping former saint, the woman in the military uniform calmly spoke.

"What I dislike is incurable diseases and patients who refuse to be cured. If you have the will to be cured, we physicians will never abandon our patients. You must not feign the will to be healed either. We will treat you, so speak your true intentions."

She looked into the eyes of the woman in the military uniform. Inevitably, their eyes met. There was no falsehood there. There was no weakness there. Her eyes harbored a dazzling determination that pierced through her. Yet, there was a hint of unease. The fear of being betrayed again, of being deceived.

"Will you help us?"

"Rest assured. I will help all of you."

This woman in the military uniform was the ancestor of all nurses. The woman who eliminated all things poisonous and harmful. The military doctor who even frightened soldiers, the Lady of the Lamp, the nurse of steel, the Angel of Crimea, the mother of modern nursing education. It is said that the soldiers on the battlefield even kissed the shadow of the woman known as Florence Nightingale.

Florence Nightingale, the woman who continued to save people obsessively.

"Even if I have to kill all of you, I will definitely do it."

It is not easy to save people solely with kindness. What is truly needed is strength. 

***

In my daily life, strange things always happen to me, Hyoudou Iseei. Ever since I was reincarnated as a devil, it's been nothing but that.

First, there's Asia. The sister who was lost on that road. In the end, I still don't know anything about that church. I wonder if she's doing well. That guy named Lev is suspicious now. Maybe he lied about being associated with the church. I was scolded by Rias for letting a potential enemy escape. It's frustrating.

Next is about Rias fiancee. They say she's a pure-blooded high-ranking devil, but that yakitori-loving guy is not suitable for Rias! He even has a harem made up of members of his peerage, which is enviable... No, I mean, it's obvious that he'll neglect Rias even after getting married! I don't understand why Rias parents are trying to arrange the marriage when Rias clearly dislikes it. I suppose there are rules among high-ranking devils, but couldn't they consider Rias feelings?

But there is a possibility of canceling the engagement with that yakitori-loving guy. It was postponed due to a small incident, but Rias and the yakitori-loving guy will have a rating game. If Rias wins, she doesn't have to marry that yakitori-loving guy. We're also training while attending school.

Then, there's my Sacred Gear. I found out that it's an amazing weapon called the Longinus, which can kill even gods if mastered! Its name is Boosted Gear, the Gauntlet of the Red Dragon Emperor. I can't handle it properly yet, but I'll master it by the time of the game. It seems like we're at a disadvantage in terms of numbers, but there's no way I'll lose to that yakitori-loving guy!

However, among the peerage member, I am the weakest. Rias and Akeno are genuinely strong. I don't have the power of a kitten or the speed of Kiba. Even with the powerful Boosted Gear, I am weak. That's why I think the game being postponed is actually a good opportunity. I'll use this time to become stronger!

So, I came to the club room after school for special training, but Rias was in a bad mood. I asked Kiba, another peerage member, about the reason, and even he seemed tense.

"You know about the recent church base attack, right?"

"Yeah."

It's the reason why the rating game between Rias and the yakitori-loving guy was postponed.

Apparently, important bases of the biblical factions on the God's side, the Catholics, Protestants, and Orthodox churches, were attacked. Moreover, the culprit is unknown. It's because the attackers were temporary summonings of monsters using some kind of magic. They disappeared like mist as soon as they were defeated.

The monsters ranged from typical ones like beastmen, skeletons, and ghosts to rare ones like wyverns and golems. There were even giant starfish and hermit crabs, they say. Individually, they weren't a big deal, but there were many of them, causing a major blow to the church. It even led to a commotion where angels were deployed.

 

The church is desperate to find the culprit, and they seem to think it's either a demon or a fallen angel. Well, if they're enemies of God, it's natural to suspect one of those. But I don't think it's a demon. If it were the work of demons, the  Satan Sirzechs Lucifer, who is the Rias older brother, wouldn't allow it. Besides, there aren't many devils left, so there's no point in waging a war against them. If it's not demons, then it must be fallen angels, but the Governor denies any involvement. However, the one who killed me, Raynare, was a fallen angel. I can't trust them. It might just be my own impression, though.

According to Rias, there was a possibility of the church staging the incidents, but has there been any progress?

"Seventy-two Pillars successors were killed. It's probably retaliation for that commotion."

"What?! W-What do you mean?"

We were just told that the culprit is still unknown. Or maybe there's evidence pointing towards demons.

"The culprit is still unknown. However, it's undeniable that some members of the church have concluded it was the work of demons. The one who was killed is Diodora Astaroth, a member of the Astaroth family, which produced the current Satan Ajuka Beelzebub. All of his peerage are also missing."

If they were successors of the Seventy-two Pillars, that means they were powerful devils like Rias and Riser. They were even blood relatives of the Satan! It's definitely a significant event that they were killed. But why is Rias in a bad mood? It doesn't seem like they were close based on what Kiba said.

"The church denies involvement, but it could be seen as a payback for the previous incidents. As a result, the Satan might order Rias to return forcibly."

"D-Does that mean Rias-san will go back to the Underworld?"

"Yeah. It's hard to have escorts in the human world. In that case, we might have to go to the Underworld as well. Depending on the situation, we might even have to quit school and attend a school in the Underworld."

"W-What?!"

I might not understand complicated things, but one thing is clear. Someone's malice is trying to destroy our everyday lives. 

 

***

"Report from Orias, Florence Nightingale has achieved results beyond our expectations. However, she stands out too much. We have already disposed of even the Satan bloodline. This exposes our existence to the biblical faction. What was the Control Tower doing? Controlling her was supposed to be their responsibility."

"Protest from Purson, Do you have any idea how much trouble we are having erasing her traces?"

"Counterargument from Leraje, Even for us, the actions of that Berserker were unexpected."

"Suggestion from Crocell, We should not rely on the power of Heroic Spirits."

"Counterargument from Gusion, We have merely learned the motives of humans. We have not become humans ourselves. Considering the possibility of unforeseen flaws in our plans, the perspective of Heroic Spirits is necessary."

"Suggestion from Vassago, In that case, the next summoning should use a catalyst to call forth a Heroic Spirit who can reliably establish a cooperative system."

"Interim report from Amon, representing the Nine Pillars of Voyance: Based on information from the Information Room and the Observatory, we have conducted speculation and identified a potential event that could have a significant impact on our plans. In order to obtain confirmation, we require more solid evidence."

"Suggestion from Focalor, We should make contact with the upper echelons of the Three Great Powers."

"Counterargument from Bifrons, It is not yet the right time. At the very least, we should wait until the investigation of the Nine Pillars of Voyance is completed."

"Decision from Goetia, Depending on the conclusion of the Nine Pillars of Voyance, we will proceed to the next stage of the plan."

"Report from Uvall, In the Far East, Japan, specifically Kyoto, we have confirmed the Kingu existence."

"Question from Stolas, Can we interpret this as visitors from that world other than ourselves?"

"Answer from Ose, That possibility is high. Since the cause of our revival is still unknown, it is reasonable to think so."

"Request from Baal, In consideration of the possibility of unforeseen circumstances, I can no longer bear any more shame and fear. Bureau of Command, grant me permission to engage in combat."

10