Chapter 7: Friend or traitor?
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

One late night, Adrian Bloodress was making his way to an abandon church. The building was located within his families domain; a suburban area, away from the city and noise.

"This place is filthy, can't believe some one would choose this as a hideout." (Adrian) 

"That's far enough." (BIg Man) 

Adrian looked up to see five shadowy figures standing on top of the church's roof. His red eyes shining threw the night put them all on guard.

"Nice night we're having right? I only came to talk." (Adrian) 

"We don't care." (Flare) 

The clouds moved, allowing the moon to shine on them. Revealing a boy with a bowl cut, one with a red mohawk, a girl with long spikey hair, and 2 very large men. Adrian noticed them moving, multiple needles came flying at him. Once he jumped back, his left and right side were rushed; the bowl cut boy had claw like hands while the mohawk ingulfed his own arms in flames.

"You guys have interesting abilities but you won't be able to hit me with them."

Adrian gently pushed off the ground, making his body seem like it was floating into the air.

"Flare! Heyna! Get out of the way!" (Big Man) 

A large man came down on Adrian, causing a crater. He saw that there wasn't anything between his feet and the ground but felt a weight on his arm.

"If I remember correctly, those who escaped the prison were under 18... So, who are you?"

"Ha, I just look old." (Big Man)

He jumped from the man's arm and landed on the roof with his arm pointed at the other person's throat. The girl next to him was surprised, her hair moved and pointed at Adrian. They formed long blades but she didn't make any moves.

"Smart, if you had moved.. He'd be dead. Since you haven't attacked, it obviously means that you have no fighting abilities."

"..." (Spiky haired girl) 

"Now fat man, I'll ask the same question I told your giant friend. Who are you guys?" (Adrian) 

"We are New Beginning." (Gordo) 

Purple smoke seeped from his mouth as he talked. Adrian jumped back but it was to late, inhaling the smoked caused his body to go numb and slow down his movements. When he touch back down, all five of them were present.

"Don't move" (Gordo) 

His body did as it was told.

"You didn't inhale all of it but it doesn't matter, you're under my control now." (Gordo) 

"Gordo, question him and then we'll kill him!" (Big Man) 

"Speak, Why are you here?" (Gordo) 

"To strike a deal..: (Adrian) 

"Speak, don't you work for the king? Why make a deal with us?" (Gordo)

"No, the king is my father but I can careless about him or my kind. An enemy of my enemy is my friend." (Adrian) 

"A prince? Ivan will want to hear this. Keep going Gordo" (Heyna) 

"Speak, what can you possibly offer?" (Gordo) 

"Resources, invisibility from my kind, and protection." (Adrian) 

"Protection? you forget who we are!" (Flare) 

"Enough Flare! What is this deal?" (Big Man) 

"Kill a certain someone for me and you'll get what you want." (Adrian) 

"Who's the target?" (Big Man) 

Adrian smiled.

"Raymond's daughter, Clarissa. I have a sketch of her in my right pocket." (Adrian) 

"Raymond? Heyna isn't he?" (Flare) 

"Yea, he's the vampire who killed Speed and a lot of our guys." (Heyna)

"He isn't lying. Get revenge for Ivan, disrupt relationships between the kingdoms and get resources?"  (Gordo) 

"Shouldn't we ask Ivan?" (Spikey Girl) 

"No, lets surprise him." (Big Man) 

"Big Man is right so don't even think about it June! That goes for telling your boyfriend too." (Flare) 

The girl known as June showed dissatisfaction but they didn't care.

"Vampire, I'm the leader of this group. Call me Big man. Help us out and we'll deal with this girl and I'll introduce you to Ivan."

"You can call me Adrian."

----------------------------------------------

Growing up, I could never figure out two question. What am I? and why don't people like me? People were either afraid or they hated to me... Was it my blood? My family? Or was it just me? (Clarissa) 

A little girl stood in the center of a crowd, watching as they went on about their day. They kept their distance, kids would show up and talk about her.

"Look its her.."

"Isn't she related to those things?"

"Yea but she doesn't look like them."

"Be careful, she's probably like a hundred years old!"

"A vampire."

"A monster."

"Maybe she's adopted, she looks normal."

"She's probably their lunch."

"She's glaring!"

"Run!"

The scene changed and the girl was now sitting on a sofa, thinking about everything she heard.

"Auntie Mabel.."

"What's up Clarissa?"

Occasionally, she would sneak into the queens office to hide from her parents, study, or just to eat the candy she kept in a bowl. Mabel didn't care, she adored Clarissa.

"Am I a hundred years old?"

"What? No way kid, you're like 8 years old"

"But when I read about vampires.. They said those that are birthed go through periods of long sleep for a 100 years in order to help mature faster. My parents are vampires, so?"

"Well you're different."

"Different.. is that why I can't make friends? What am I?"

"Ah... Abby! You want to chime in now? I know you're listening!"

The door to her office swung open and a women with black hair with a side pony tail in a maids outfit walked in.

"You called my lady?" (Abigail)

"Amazing, just in time." (Mabel)

"Grandmother..." (Clarissa)

"Listen Clarissa, it doesn't matter what people say. You are you." (Abigail)

"Oof." (Mabel) 

Abigail Aster, a noble vampire and currently the right hand woman to her best friend. Mabel Chronicler. She always carried a dignified look, strong posture, a calm face with eyes closed. It was like a persona of hers but when Maybe throws in random comments, it breaks her character completely. Even though she didn't need to wear a maids outfit, she enjoyed being known as a battle maid.

"Did I say something weird? May?!" (Abigail) 

"Thanks grandma." (Clarissa) 

"You're leaving?" (Abigail) 

Once Clarissa turned 12, her abilities began to manifest and it caused an incident with one of the kids at school. Once her parents found out, they thought it was time for a sit down.

They explained how back in the day, only noble vampires were allowed to have children. Whether that was with their own kind or humans, Raymond's family was different, his grandmother was one of the wives of Abigail's grandfather. Eventually, his mother married a sorcerer which explained his abilities and Raymond married her mom, a normal human turned vampire during birth.

"Our bloodline changed over time and that explains you." (Raymond)

"I see.. I'm more human than vampire at this point. What happened to my grandparents? and great grandparents?" (Clarissa) 

"That's a story for another time, perhaps your coming of age if you still want to be a vampire?" (Raymond) 

"Honey, your father and I will support you no matter what choices you make." (Raymond's wife) 

She now had answers but it didn't fix her biggest problem. Making friends which followed her all the way to the age of fourteen. Raymond recommended going to a new school in the Lost City. 5 days prior to her departure, Clarissa was standing at the end of the hallway of school.

Oh good, she's here! This is my chance, she's super popular and is friends with everyone.. Just say hello and ask her to be my.. No, that's stupid. I need to introduce my self first. Yea, I got this!

Clarissa finally convinced herself to say hello to the nicest girl in her school but by the time she moved, she was met with other classmates and left. Leaving Clarissa standing in the hallway alone. Later that day she headed towards Mabel's office feeling defeated.

"So much for trying on the last day of school."

"How is this freak still alive?" 

She stopped and heard guards yelling from a distance. They kicked a cart that was used for transporting prisoners.

"Hey what's going on?"

"Clarissa, we.. we were just giving this demon a good lecturing haha before he got sent away."

"Well I can see he learned his lesson, now get going."

Once the guards left, Clarissa peaked into the cart and found a young boy in chains with multiple spears running through his back.

"Are you ok?"

"Do I look ok?

"Sorry, I'm surprised you're alive but it doesn't mean you're a demon! So again, I apologize."

"This is nothing new, I've been through worse. Called worse."

He doesn't care about the spears? This poor kid.. I can't allow him to grow up like me!"

"I know how you feel. Once I found out what I was, I understood why people saw me that way but it doesn't mean we should agree with them."

"Your face.. It seems like something else is eating away at you... You have small arms. Can you stick them through this cage and pull these things out?"

Clarissa nodded and walked around the cart. She figured since he asked, he must have had a self healing ability. She explained her problem while helping, how making friends was practically impossible.

"That's feels better! Friends you say? I can help you with that."

"Really?"

"Of course! I'm the best at giving advise. One condition... You see my bag out there? There should be a tag with a lightening symbol . Pass it to me."

Even though I already helped?

"First things first. Why are you here?"

"Does it matter?"

"Can't have you escaping and causing trouble."

"I'm technically engaged to your queen."

"Ew, forget I asked. Wait, how old are you?"

"Uhhh... 10?"

Clarissa felt bad for the boy. Once he got a hold of the tag, he flicked it and made it disappear under his sleeve.

"You're going to a new city right? When you see the first people that are the same age as you, go to them and be an asshole!"

"But... Why?"

"If they're mean back, then it will help build a rivalry and eventually, a strong friendship."

"If that doesn't work?"

"It'll work."

"How do you know?"

"Trust me or just be like a normal person and talk to them. Which I assumed you've done?"

"Yea.."

"Exactly! Be a jerk. Look kid, you want friends? Then socialize and fight to keep it"

"Teacher! Who are you?"

"Call me Allister."

-----------------------------------------

Once Jorge learned the truth about Clarissa, he acted normal throughout the day but Chris knew something was up. She chased him down and he told her everything but she wasn't angry. She just apologized to him because Jorge finally had a friend that wasn't from the prison.

"I thought I'd find you here."

She came to the roof later that night and found Jorge sitting by the ledge. He couldn't sleep and she knew something was really bothering him, she knew it wasn't Clarissa. Chris saw the side of his face, which showed tears running down. She walked over and sat beside him.

"I didn't tell you everything. Her powers tried to see further back than just the prison.."

"And?"

"Nothing, she saw nothing."

"Jorge.."

"I don't know who I am Chris.. She probably knew that too."

She listened as he went on.

"I remember nothing. I dreamed about things that don't make sense! They're always the same but when I try to dig deeper, I wake up."

"What are your dreams about?"

"I see a woman I don't know and a kid who looks just like me when. Every time I call out or get close... They disappear. The warden was there too and I'm positive that she knows the truth but now she's gone."

"I don't know what to say."

"What do you remember Chris?"

"The same as you. When we first met."

She thought about that day. They were the first people with abilities to arrive at the prison, Jorge had bandages wrapped around his head.

<Hi, I'm Chris.>

<I'm...>

<Your name is Jorge. We went over this. Remember?>

<Sorry warden.>

<Don't worry Jorge, I'll remember your name for you.>

Chris smiled

"I think the kid might be my memories reaching out to me."

"The woman?"

"My mom.. I'm sure of it!"

Jorge looked at Chris seriously and wiped his tears.

"We can try finding the truth. I want to find my mom too."

"Where do we start?"

"When I see you guys.. It reminds me of my friends." (Selena)

Selena floated down on them, wearing a black dress. She had just finished giving a concert at a nearby bar.

"What are you doing here?" (Jorge)

"The real question is how did you find us?" (Chris)

"You underestimate me Chris. Not once did you guys ask about our last names. Although it does prove how kind you really are." (Selena)

They were silent.

"My name is Selena Bloodress."

"You're a princess?" (Jorge) 

"Well actually, I'm your queen at the moment."

The color faded from their faces. Chris got up to ready herself."

"Easy now, I'm not your enemy." 

She explained to them that Clarissa didn't come home the day before so she figured they had a clue on where she could be.

"Why would we? You saw us leave." (Chris)

"Let me rephrase it. Do you know where the people who took her could be? And yes, I know that you have ties with NB." (Selena)

"What are you talking about..." (Jorge)

"You're adorable Jorge. Clarissa found out by luck. I always knew. Your warden, is my best friend." (Selena)

Jorge looked into Selena's eyes and turned away.

"You know Raymond." (Jorge)

"He's my friend." (Selena)

"Then you know our beef." (Jorge)

"Look I won't say what Raymond did was right. You were scared and honestly, it's his way of having fun but he knew what he was doing." (Selena)

"I don't understand?" (Jorge)

"How well do you know Ivan?" (Selena)

Selena walked across the roof as she spoke.

"Did you know this cities underground is made up of small factions that control the lower class? Gangs would be a better word for them." (Selena)

"The Tyrants." (Chris)

"You know your stuff. They're the worse and currently the most dangerous. Ivan has made contact with them and has been using their wealth, networks of information and supplies to fight us. They've also been reaching out to people from the other kingdoms." (Selena)

"He wouldn't." (Jorge)

"Its simple why, they're losing. We've captured quite a few of your friends and I've been migrating them out of this city." (Selena)

"Why?" (Chris)

"Liz brought you guys together for a reason I can't say. Why she did it this way? It's still unknown to me but you guys don't deserve to go back." 

Chris continued with her questions.

"Why hide us?"

"Before the previous king, This city was ruled by an elder class of vampires. Old guys taking turns as leaders. They discriminated against those who can use magic."

"And war broke out?"

"You clearly know enough. Look, I'm not here to give you a lesson or history so I'll summarize it. Before I was born, my elders fought the magic kingdom. Both sides decided to give up, Liz and I became part of a group.. Our mission was to clean up the problems left by the war, those who would sow seeds of conflict."

"A group?

"The name was never decided so history sees us as different people. Although I tell others we're called Tres Lunas."

"Why are you telling us this?"

"Because the Elders may be gone but not the vampire factions. If Ivan goes down this path, chaos will take over the city."

Jorge was fed up when he listened to their conversation.

"Shut up! Ivan would have told me."

"Why?"

"Because I'm his friend. I've helped them. We've stopped one of your vampires from stealing their blood even though Raymond killed our guys"

"He killed prisoners. You guys weren't the only one's that escaped."

Jorge stopped talking.

"People were staying the night there before you guys blew it up? Now the lower class are turning to groups like the Tyrants in order to make money for their blood. Regardless, Clarissa is innocent and it's only natural she'd be targeted."

"Jorge, she's not wrong."

He didn't respond

"Look, if you find anything, give me a holler."

She jumped off the ledge and left without giving them any clue on how to contact her. Jorge went back inside and Chris followed after, she couldn't let everything they learned go.

"Jorge, say something."

"Like what?"

"You're worried about her, so what's the plan?"

"We don't know if.."

"I believe her and deep down, you do too."

"Alex is still with them though."

"We'll get him out."

"I don't hate this city."

"Me neither."

"I don't hate Clarissa."

"Me neither."

"I promised to be her friend."

"Any friend of yours, is a friend of mine."

"I guess we won't know unless we confront them."

"They can still be in this domain."

"I'm going to need a weapon."

"So, where are we going ? "

"The hide out for this domain. The church."

-----------------------------------------------------

Jorge was standing in front of the church. In his hand was a metal bat. The night was young, sounds of honking cars were heard from a distance and the inhabitants nearby were sleeping peacefully. Upon entering the church, Jorge found himself face to face with three people. Two he recognized but not the man sitting between them on a fallen cross.

"Flare and... bowl cut guy." (Jorge)

"Its Heyna!" (Heyna)

"Yea, well it's a dumb name. Who's the giant?" (Jorge)

"You can call me Big Man." (Big Man) 

Jorge looked around and found no signs of Clarissa.

"She isn't here Jorge." (Flare)

"This place has a basement.." (Jorge)

"Jorge, why are you here? For the girl? Who cares about her! HER DAD IS.." (Flare)

"I know but she isn't her dad." (Jorge) 

"Ridiculous!" (Flare)

"Enough Flare. Jorge, does this mean you're going to betray us?" (Heyna)

"Does Ivan know?" (Jorge)

"He does. In fact, we just got done talking to him." (Flare)

"I guess I got no choice then." (Jorge)

Jorge looked at his bat.

"Ha! What can you do? You're nothing without Chris! Ivan even stopped contacting you after she left!" (Flare)

Flare laughed but Jorge just closed his eyes. He thought about the day he and Chris were at a junk yard, training.

<Chris, what are we doing?>

<No one comes here. Its the perfect place to train.>

<To control my powers?>

<That... and to really just teach you basic fighting moves.>

<Fighting?>

<Jorge, what did the warden teach you?>

<Nothing, I was terrible at controlling my powers so she gave up on me. How do you do it?>

<Well.. to me it feels normal, like breathing but sometimes I use my emotions to really raise my power.>

<Emotions?>

<Rage or just the need to protect someone. Its harder for you because.. well because its to hard for you to hate anyone.>

Jorge got annoyed

<From what I've seen, magic flows through your body. Gives you strength, speed, and pretty much a burst of energy but your body can't handle it. Your control of magic is off and then there's your healing ability.>

<What about it?>

<It's not possible to have two abilities but that doesn't matter if you can't fight. We'll start there, I'll shoot at you so try to dodge!>

<My powers though..>

He opened his eyes and stared at the ground.

"The need to protect some one.."

"Stop him!" (Big Man)

Flare dashed towards Jorge who balled his hands into a fist, punching the ground, creating cracks which lead to a hole being made to the lower floors. Once Jorge jumped down, Chris busted in from the churches window and built a wall of ice, blocking the three from getting to him.

"Dam it. Its Chris." (Heyna)

"She's just one girl. You two munchkin deal with her." (Big Man)

"She's not alone." (Selena)

To Chris's surprise, Selena was right next to her.

"Like I said Chris, don't underestimate me." (Selena)

"You came alone?" (Chris)

"For now. I owe someone a favor so I sent Julie to get her." (Selena)

Big Man finally stood up as he cracked his knuckles. He face changed shaped and a horn grew out of his face.

"A rhino? Not just him either." (Selena)

"The one on his left is Heyna, short for Hyena. The one on the right uses fire magic." (Chris)

"No, its pyrokinesis. That lighter in his hand is the source of his fire. (Selena)

"How do you know?" (Chris)

"My teacher has a similar ability. But he isn't as weak, doesn't need to rely on another source. Look, you take fire boy, I'll deal with the others." (Selena)

Chris created a wall of water once she notice fire being shot at them. Heyna came laughing as his hands turned into claws but Selena shortened the distance. She pointed her right arm at him and snapped her fingers. An invisible force shred the sleeve on her arm, as well as launching Hayne up in the air.

"Magic?" (Chris)

"Sort of, Its blood magic. I can transmit sound and release it like energy. Cool huh?" (Selena)

Big Man stared at Heyna who was throwing up and gasping for air. Pawing at the ground, he charged at Selena.

"Enough Chit Chat!" (Big Man)

Flare covered his arm with fire while Chris covered hers in ice. Shooting at each making a heavy like fog to form. while they were fighting, Selena jumped at the incoming man. Punching him where his horn was, creating a crack and slowing him down. The pure force of his body still pushed her back.

"You're tougher than I thought.

She gave her self some distance from him.

Dam. I should have brought some weapons. He's way more experienced than these kids. A battle using brute will take to long..

She looked at her hand and blood was dripping from it. Big Man also had red leaving his mouth.

I'm going to have to use a more strategic plan..

Behind her, Selena and Flare both jumped out of the mist and we're continuing to shoot at each but no one could get a killer blow but Chris's clothes showed burnt marks.

"What's the matter Chris? You're only using water now. What happened to your ice?"

"Well I figured since you can't hit me either, this should be enough."

"Ha! All bark! You were always lucky! Now that I think about it.. I've never seen you last this long. Are you out of juice?"

She clearly can't use her magic to the fullest. This must be the first time she's ever needed use her magic this long.. Any more and.. (Selena)

Big Man ramped up for another charge.

"Don't get distracted!"

"Enough."

She raised her left arm and snapped her fingers. Her sleeve got destroyed but rather than the same effect as before, sounds around him got louder. He could hear the city as if he was there himself. Big Man's movements got sluggish and came to an abrupt halt.

"What is this?"

"Hard to focus with so much noise right?"

"This.. This is nothing!"

"You don't say. Lets change the frequency for you."

Selena slowly rotated her arm until the sound was to much for him to bare. The ringing in his head caused visions blur and his ears to bleed until lights out. While that was happening, Chris's hair was shinning but no magic was being released. The water she formed fell to the floor, she could no longer control it.

"What is this?" 

"It's called hitting your limit Chris. Your power is scary, don't get me wrong but it's to much. Even for you!"

Flare smiled as he channeled fire in his hands. The snap of fingers caused him to look around. When Flare looked down, his fire was still raging but he couldn't here it as it moved. But he could see and feal the back of someone's fist as it impacted his face, sending him across the room.

"It's over so you need to rest. The ability to use your gift easily will come with time and training." (Selena)

"It's not over until the other side is dead." (Bigman)

Selena turned to find them slowly getting up, she sighed and told Chris to rest.

"I guess its time for round 2." (Selena)

0