Chapter 10; Unexpected Visit
318 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The older man was a shriveled toothless creature, seemingly feeble, and walked with magic-powered leg prosthetic. He looks as though a puff of wind could blow him down. His skin is pale, and both of his hair and beard almost reach his knees; he looked as if he hadn't gone outside in ages. He had a slightly hunched back. He ran as fast as he could towards Gevanni and Izuna.

“I made it!”

“What’s a civilian doing here? No, let’s say one of the proven magic casters.” Gevanni judged as he looked at the older man’s clothes—he is mostly covered by his robe, and on his waist, there’s a bunch of different colored vials strapped into his belt.

“Gevanni, the possessor of that great grimoire, I offer you my absolute obedience!” The older man offered his most sincere bow as if Gevanni is more important than any royalty.

“Whoa~ That old man sure knows his stuff. A small confinement spell.” Izuna murmured.

Idiot! I’d like to say, but as much as I want to learn more about him, this might be the trap of the royals. I’m being tested! Gevanni thought as he looked around frantically. It seems not even the royal guards know what’s happening. They still stood firmly guarding the door.

How did he know my name already? From that explosion? He would put his life in danger if he affiliated with me. How about Chunni demon’s reaction? Gevanni wondered. The moment he glanced at Izuna, “Uwaa… She’s not even interested in him.” She has the face of someone who doesn't care about what's happening right now.

“I’ll go ahead, Gevanni. The majesty is waiting.” Izuna said as she opened the door by herself.

Take your time. This is just a small present from me. For a moment, Izuna reverted into her adult form. She snapped her fingers. It was as if time was diluted in that room except for Gevanni and the older man.

“Hmph! No need to show off.” Gevanni murmured, and Izuna smiled as she left the room.

Izuna reverted into her original child-like form after she took the first few steps. The Great Heroes couldn’t see this since they were analyzing every corner of The King’s 1st general assembly room.

“Before I agree to accept your deal…” Gevanni walked past the older man. “I know what made you come back as soon as you knew that happened because of my grimoire.” He whispered.

“Impressive.” The older man wheezed non-stop. It took for a while for him to calm down until Gevanni glared at him. “You already predicted my plans. Tell me, what is it you want?”

“Give me the most crucial information that shouldn’t be ignored right now.”

“Currently, Evanslei is engaged in a war against the Imperial Demon Army and has lost contact from our allied country, Hemorkia Federation ever since the anomalies appeared. Some reports say Hells Gate isles keep on bringing supplies back and forth from Gacoisea Republic to Imperial Demon Army to Hemorkia Federation.”

Gevanni remained silent and fixated his eyes to the older man.

The older man cleared his throat and thought for a moment. “The magic anomalies constantly grow in size until they become massive dungeons guarded by a few people from another world. They use entirely different systems of magic where we had fatalities in exploring those said dungeons.”

“You’re missing my point.” Gevanni abruptly said.

“It. It. It is confirmed that two Grand grimoires like yours are left in these said dungeons!”

“That is enough. I expected too much from the likes of you. I suppose there are even things where wizards have no access to information. Unless, you’re deceiving me right now.” Gevanni said with a sarcastic tone.

“Oh, please! Don’t think of that way! This is… I’m too perplexed. What I think and what I say contradicts each other. I’m not sure whether to place all of my loyalty to a stranger I never met before so easily.”

“That’s perfectly understandable considering what you’ve contributed to this kingdom. What do you hope to gain from me?”

“Help me find the key to the grand grimoire, Morgen Nifirzal. There’s only one key in existence that can unlock any of the grimoire likes yours. I believe there are five users who possess the grand grimoire.”

“That is quite a difficult request. Engaging in a war against the five other cursed grimoire users. I don’t promise that it will be done sooner than you expect.”

Gevanni offered his hand, and the older man shook it.

“The contract is made. You will subserviently serve me, and I will offer the best of my abilities in exchange for your future.”

Gevanni let go of his hand, and he pointed his foot away from the older man. He should be inside the assembly by now.

“You’re different from the monsters I’ve killed. You were beautiful and intelligent.” The older man commented.

“Is that so? Well, I hope I can trust you. I don’t remember a magic caster breaking any promises he made, right? Make sure we have safe contact.” Gevanni tapped the older man’s shoulder and left him.

“Yes, absolutely!”

“I’m such a naughty demon. Planning this at the doors of his throne room.” Gevanni murmured. All magic in that room dispersed. The royal guards suspected nothing. The Two royal guardians raised their weapons and opened the door for Gevanni.

Blood contract is not common here, unlike Herscheim. That means every contract that was made in this world can be broken at any time. What makes this even harder is that I’m too used to the game… Watching NPC’s fake emotions and always looking at their loyalty points. Gevanni thought.

 

The room had architecture like no other. The reigning monarch five decades earlier had shipped an architect from another world. The design shows the former monarch’s tastes in extravagant runes and magic. Even though the room is mostly used for assembly with enormous amounts of audience, the room has hints of being used as a throne room. It is lavishly decorated in crimson and gold.

“Your majesty, are you sure that these men are enough for them?” Prince asked. He refers not to the overabundance of royal guards around the room but rather the Great heroes who are present today. Judging from Prince Ernest’s concerns, it seems that the Evanslei kingdom has a relationship with other countries’ great heroes.

“Even if it’s by mistake, a demon will become our next hero. In that case, it would be befitting for him to meet the strongest.” The king replied.

Everyone situated themselves and fixated on the same spot. Gevanni walked confidently even though he already knew that there’s a possibility of everyone attacking him. The best thing he can do for now is not to incite hostility. Unless considering what happened earlier to the older man, he’s thinking how to end this without any casualties.

Everything is like your generic cliched fantasy world where you were welcomed by the royals and request for your help. Gevanni assumed.

“Apocope… Impossible? That’s Apocope, right? Monster… Apocope…” The spectators murmured to each other as they tried to avoid looking directly at Gevanni’s eyes.

According to the pattern, their strongest forces are beside the king. The fourth hero, Princess Marielle, is not here. Gevanni thought.

Gevanni can barely hear the whispers, but those aren’t worthy for him to think. The fact that Princess Marielle is not here only means two things: either she is hiding from a distance or she is away from the kingdom. Gevanni already considered these facts to be possible, but the presence of the Queen was absent as well when he looked to the empty seat beside the King’s throne.

The four Great heroes are not loyal through their responsibilities. They only possess power that exceeds that of a Hero. That’s what I heard. Celfeith Leichner, A barbarian. Horim Asphye, A hunter. Orusviel Weibrecht, An Overseer. Gevanni familiarized himself with each of their faces. He stopped for a moment and exchanged glances with Weibrecht.

Lastly, Princess Marielle belongs to the knight class. Gevanni kept looking around. She is still not here, or she’s somewhere from a safe distance. Let’s consider that there’s a skill that keeps track of my real intentions. Cryptic thinking will only cast suspicions, but uncertainty won't. Gevanni theorized.

Good thing, I barely slept last night. I eavesdropped on the conversations of the guards outside my room. Gevanni recalled his memory last night. The guards were talking about how they were once a misfit and how the great heroes encouraged them on different occasions.

Sadly for you false being, I won’t fall that easily to your traps. Gevanni’s grudge remained strong.

Bancroft kept looking disgusted at Gevanni.

I remember his name is Bancroft. He gives a different vibe from anyone else. I wonder what the crystal above his head serves for? A blessing? A curse? Gevanni took his seat.

Each noble house representative stood at the podium and gave their speech. Except the Noble House of Pencaster was absent. Lastly, the youngest representative of research and development presented himself. “Technology and progression knows no bounds. We should appreciate what other races have to offer and strive to make the best out of it… To help his people! Don’t we aspire not to be Ptervnakians? Yes, this is what it means to be an inventor in this age!”

The lesser nobles and selected spectators on the first level applauded.

Gevanni chuckled slightly.

“What’s funny, Gevanni?” Izuna asked as she leaned towards Gevanni.

“It’s plain as day as to what they are going to do with us. I can’t help but chuckle because it would be funny if someone betrayed them.” Gevanni whispered.

 

“The master, Izuna Estella and her companion, Theo Gevanni Ambrosia, please step forward.” Prince Ernest commanded.

The Noble House representatives whispered to each other.

“What is Apocope even doing here?” House of Nevre-Senoapezat wondered. The noble house which maintains Evanslei’s relationships with other states.

“I thought he became a full demon.” House of Elinslotte insisted. The noble house who oversees all activities of Guilds and creates odd jobs.

“Did he seriously think if he can change his name, he can fool us!?” House of Efaunes exclaimed. The noble house who actively ensures naval expeditions safely.

“Maybe the rumors were true after all.” House of Valkainez-Chelovyat proposed. The noble house who manages the merchants and economy.

“Discarding their horns to become human again?” House of Stockfleth asked. The noble house who produces weapons and custom forged equipment to the entire Evanslei kingdom.

“Even if he compensates for his sins, we won’t forgive him at all!” The House of Farnosea d’Zereshaf raised his voice. The noble house who is responsible for adopting abandoned children and raising outstanding royal guards.

Theo Ambrosia and his partner, Izuna… No, my time will come if fate demands. House of Leonardo thought. The noble house who excels the most in research and development regarding magic and technology.

Prince Ernest continued the briefing. He only explained the censored events that happened in the Evanslei kingdom. Izuna was surprised not because of the details but rather Gevanni putting his thumb on his lips as he grinned. Whatever is going on in his mind cannot be described in a few simple words but malevolence.

Apocope, my only God! It hurts that I can’t speak nor spend my time with you. However! With your wits, I know you’ll find a way for us to communicate and pay my debt on what you did for my sister. Bancroft thought. His seat is part of the noble houses designated places. This only means that Bancroft has the same authority that the noble houses can control.

They’re making too much of a fuss. I hate how I can read their thoughts clearly, even on the second floor. The dressmaker thought as she blended well with the rest of the spectators. They are watching the whole ordeal at the second level. They mostly wear hoods or any weird clothing that covers their faces.

Prince Ernest slowly shifted the topic into the history of Apocope, how he used to serve people kindheartedly until he became corrupt. He intended it with a persuasive tone and hoped that Gevanni might remember it. Unfortunately, Gevanni only looked like Apocope, but he is not the vessel yet.

“Hey, Celfeith… I know we’re supposed to do nothing here until that demon makes his move, but I’m itching for a fight!” Horim insisted as she fidgeted her feet.

“Don’t worry. You can have this chance, Asphye. Although, I doubt he could escape this trap. Hands of the Forsaken are already in effect.” Weibrecht responded as he checked for Gevanni’s temperature and heart rate. His vision became thermal imaging.

“This woman already proved her oath to Queen Bethysia herself along with Horim Asphye as witnesses. Izuna Estella, please take a seat.” Prince Ernest commanded. Izuna bowed and went to her seat. Gevanni remains standing at the podium.

“Leichner, don’t you think something is odd? Normally Bancroft is against this and ruthlessly devises plans to subjugate the demons, but right now…” Weibrecht said, but he was interrupted by Celfeith, who placed his finger to Weibrecht’s lips.

“All we can do is to discipline ourselves and don’t think anymore. Apocope might use this against us.” Celfeith said as he pinched Weibrecht’s thigh.

“Mind-reading, huh? However, that skill only works when you have physical contact with the victim.” Horim admitted.

“Agh! It still hurts… That’s why we need to trap him first.” Weibrecht insisted.

“Please ascend the stairs on your left and show respect to the pedestal of heroes’ promise.” Prince Ernest commanded. Gevanni waited for Izuna and they walked together.

 

All eyes were fixated in those moments. The fact that the pedestal shows no signs of corruption means that Izuna and Gevanni are not considered as enemies. However, this sight is terrible for the lesser nobles. They believed that the pedestal was just malfunctioning.

Most of the writing that was carved at the pedestal’s tablet is known as runes. There are long staffs that resembled the holy grail at its tip revolving around the pedestal. This orb is placed on top of the tablet, and around it consists of moving intricate blocks.

Izuna kneeled, but Gevanni remained standing. He then faced the noble houses. This act of indecency sparked an outrage and made every Noble House representative stand from their seats. Their comments are easy to predict considering their nature against demons the whole time.

“You scoundrel!” Prince Ernest shouted as his muscles became tense. The spectators on the second level whispered to one another. This is not something that usually happens when the Evanslei kingdom summons heroes from another world. Especially when Gevanni did this in front of the pedestal of heroes’ promise; It is still moving on its own despite the insults.

“Either he mastered his self-confidence or foolish enough to know cowardice.” The king finally spoke.

“Won’t it be interesting if I could kill anyone here with just their names?” Gevanni boldly exclaimed. The orb at the pedestal of the heroes' promise starts to glow.

Everyone stopped whispering. They are perplexed why the pedestal is processing things too late.

I only meant it as a joke, but I guess everyone took it seriously. Gevanni thought as he looked above. Oh? What a nice change of pace. Ordinary citizens… Isn’t this weird that I’m starting to get used to their faces looking at me all scared?

“Do you think you could handle the four great heroes even if you identified our mana core!?” Prince Ernest announced.

One retard spotted. Gevanni thought as he smirked.

The king groaned. He assumed that the plans they all worked together would lead Gevanni into questioning himself and make him show his true demonic form. However, the opposite happened. It was all ruined ever since Gevanni entered the room.

“Not bad for a bluff even if you’re just playing around.” Izuna whispered to Gevanni.

“The fact that I’m here or rather forcefully summoned—only means that I have to do some sort of noble reason like saving this kingdom or humanity itself,” Gevanni said aggressively. This notion is, in fact, real, and everyone felt ashamed. Despite doing this for centuries, they haven’t changed their traditions, relying on people from another world just to satisfy their desperation and indulging in false hope.

“I Nicholas Vender Xi Evanslei acknowledge your presence here in this very kingdom. Many are already aware of our deal, and our citizens are not used to having demons living side by side; this would be difficult to prolong. Let’s get to my main point…” The king said as he took quick hand signals in secret. It was the sign to get prepared for combat.

The way he thinks of this kingdom only makes him vulnerable and the same reason why his citizens are loyal to him. I can use this to my advantage—being as vague as possible, but the result is in favor of both of us. No, I only mean to myself and the future kingdom, not its citizens.

All of the royal guards slowly stepped in. The intensity that took place into that room grew larger as soon as Bancroft cast an inactive spell. An intricate spell that can't be deactivated unless the caster wishes. The penalty of using this spell makes the caster vulnerable since he has to maintain it for a long time, and he can’t cast other spells.

“I commend both of you. To fight alongside us and emerge victorious to the upcoming world war,” The king tried to command. Before he even finished his sentence, he was interrupted by Gevanni.

“I refuse!” Gevanni’s heart started pounding so fast. He immediately pinched his other arm just to break this attention. Otherwise, he won’t be focused on the next trick he prepared. He moved as if something itchy on his other arm. Weibrecht was alerted for a moment, but Celfeith stopped him.

“Know your filthy place, demon!” Prince Ernest insulted Gevanni as he pointed his finger to him.

 

The sudden break to plans made every royal guard's advance halted. The royal guards outside rappelled back to their original positions. Their movements were quick and tactically well organized, just like how SWAT teams act today. Bancroft deactivated his spell. No matter what they do in that situation, it will only worsen as they keep resisting Gevanni.

“What can we do to make you in our favor, Demon Ruler Candidate Apocope?” The king pleaded.

Complete silence took over the room for a while. It was as if the busiest marketplace became a ghost town in an instant. Everyone’s attention is all focused on Gevanni.

At this rate, I might sound cocky to them. I have no idea what magic is to this world. Then, there is only one choice without asking too much. Gevanni thought.

“Your majesty, we don’t have time to mess around or abide by the wishes of that demon. We have to kill him!” Prince Ernest softly said as he approached The king.

“Yes, we absolutely can’t come to terms with them. I think it’s best to—” The king responded, but he didn’t notice that Gevanni was already below him. The same level as the great heroes' seats.

“King Nicholas xi Evanslei, no matter how time changes, war never ceases. It’s natural for us so-called intelligent yet barbaric species. That’s why pride exists. Without it, we are merely slaves to our beliefs.

Gevanni slowly spreads his arms. “Aren’t we just animals who always crave to be the king of the jungle?”

The king placed his hand across his face. “What a joke. I don’t remember inviting a jester.”

“Gamble your future, including everyone under your rule!” Gevanni commanded as he offered his hand.

Everyone’s eyes widened. No fool would dare to spout such words in front of a royalty unless they want a death wish.

Does he even know how big our kingdom is? Impossible. The king thought as he looked into Gevanni’s forceful yet sincere eyes.

“He’s of that demon of caliber!?” Prince Ernest couldn’t fathom these events. It made him step back.

I won’t let him do what my partner did last time! The king stomped his fist into his armrest of his throne. As soon as he lost for words, Gevanni kneeled in front of him and offered his hand.

“I promise that there’s no ever-single soul that would never die—We will declare war to eradicate the garbage!”

Umu… You just made our job easier… As Demons. Izuna murmured.

In a severe setting filled with aggressive voices and thoughts directed to me, I expected this result from the start—something that will lead the conversation to negate the deal into nonsense—this way, all of their focus stricken and more willing to listen to the reason behind it.

Everyone stopped thinking for a moment except for the great heroes carefully analyzing both of the demons.

“It seems Apocope himself is affected by the unknown magic explosion. He looked like he was in his prime. It’s not over yet.” Celfeith commented worriedly. It implies that there is still hope for converting him.

Weibrecht knew Celfeith truly meant it, but he chose to disagree. “Celfeith, should I use the Hands of the Forsaken now?”

“No, the king said to save it as our last resort,” Celfeith responded.

“Whoa~ Just like in the stories, he’s really prideful, isn’t he, Orsie,” Horim commented.

“Shhh. Please keep that indecent behavior out of this meeting. The King’s about to speak.” Weibrecht insisted.

“Your eyes and heart. I know that vibe very well. You are not lying.” The king confessed.

He confidently declared this because he thought that there are spies and hostile terrorists and eradicate them. In short, he makes enemies and makes them his sacrificial pawns to further his interests. My basis for this is apparent: 1. The explosions last night and alerting every royal guard where it came from. 2. Short history of demons in Evanslei’s perspective. 3. Constant conflicts with the other nations base from what Prince Ernest said earlier. Gevanni assumed.

“The girl beside me is also from another world—different from mine. From now on, she’s in charge of internal affairs and future strategic plans. That is with enough practice and recommendations.”

The pedestal of great heroes’ promise activated. The glowing orb hovered on its own. The intricate moving blocks formed into massive cubes layered itselves and encased the orb inside.

The audience started to whisper. The fact that the pedestal approved Gevanni’s oath meant that he would never betray it. Just like the promises that were made by the great old heroes.

“T-There’s a limit to your jokes, cursed human! Prince Ernest almost stuttered.”

Amid doubts, Izuna went to Gevanni’s side, and he offered his ear due to the difference of height.

“If you declare too much at once… I hope you’re not just a lip service. Remember that well, Gevanni.” Izuna whispered

“And me, I’m in charge of converting troops outside this kingdom!” Gevanni announced sharply.

The pedestal finished its process. Magic sigils appeared, and the runes glowed. It is waiting for the verification from the royalty.

“Is that fine, your majesty?” Gevanni asked.

I’m risking a huge gamble, and this might end up my death. No one will know what my real objective is. That is if this still functions as a game. Gevanni assumed as he waited for the King’s response.

“Don’t dare to pressure Our Majesty with that disgusting mouth of yours!” Prince Ernest still resists Gevanni.

This hot-blooded prince stereotype is really annoying—the standard blondie with blue eyes who tries to look cool. Gevanni thought. The King has no choice but to obey me. After all, they risk themselves if we were to join their enemies. I need one more push that doesn't seem suspicious. He added.

“I’m glad she’s not watching this…” The king murmured. He then stepped down from his throne and shook Gevanni’s hand firmly. “This is pure heresy, but we have no choice. We can’t afford to join the Demon’s army.”

 

The noble houses whispered to each other again. Before The king was about to shake Izuna’s hands, she stepped away from him and approached the nobles instead. She moved especially towards the noble house of Efaunes. She gasped for air as soon as Izuna stomped her feet.

“You lot is too noisy for something so small! We can’t erase anything you think of us, but we are different. We, as beings from another world, truly understand how this world works? No. Do we have any proof we are not part of this world’s Demon faction or your enemies? No. It’s natural for us to learn more before we decide things!” Izuna debated.

Lots of nobles agreed. However, this only turned into loathing at the presence of great heroes. They had no choice but to mask this emotion since it’s not part of the plan.

“That means you’re offering an alliance. It seems your partner is far more reliable than you, Demon.” The king commented after he heard Izuna's point.

Gevanni had a contented look.

“Rest assured, we’re not the type who forces answers and threatens people by taking their soul. Right, Gevanni?” Izuna said as she offered her hand to The king.

Gevanni bows in front of The king. This chuuni demon. She talks more than obvious. He thought.

The king accepted Izuna’s hand, and he then went to the pedestal to verify the oath of these two demons. It was a scene similar to two kingdoms accepting a truce. A moment where citizens can be at ease, but those who serve at the frontlines and have a terrible history with schemes only left a bad taste in their mouths.

This is not enough. Before the suspicion gets ahead of me, I have to... Gevanni thought as he glance to the second level. There was a unique cloaked man in red rushing to getaway. "Before they make their first move..."

Puppets of Strings activate. Fufufufu~ Apocope-sama far exceeds my expectations. He still remembers how my unique skill works. Bancroft thought, but he couldn’t erase the visible smug on his face.

A red string latches above those people's heads who try their hardest to resist lies and denies fear. After that, I can freely manipulate their actions. I understand you very well, Apocope-sama. I just have to prevent the three great heroes from saying what you’ve said to Princess Marielle. How dreamy, doubting your brother. I shall never, without a doubt, make strong fake reasonings for Prince Ernest as well. Bancroft theorized as he started to applause.

Rounds of applause spread like wildfire. Everyone recognized both Izuna and Gevanni the same way they first met the great heroes who started their ordeals.

Although, it’s hard to create a script for them to say to Princess Marielle. No, through this hardship, Apocope-sama himself noticed me once more! Bancroft thought as he quickly left the room.

 

The ordeal in disguise is such a failure, or did the Evanslei kingdom intended for this to happen? Only the intelligent can take advantage of the halt of a world war. Does that mean humans have long surpassed demonic races to the point they consider demihumans a new threat?

Announcement
I would like to make a revamp in terms of scheduling. I'll be posting at 7:40 AM, 10:40 AM, and/or 12:40 PM (if possible 2:40 PM and/or every 2 hours too) GMT+1 every Thursday. (If I have time I could also post during Tuedays too). Also, I would like to test how posting short chapters in bulk works for the whole month of April.
9