Chapter 6; Accepting The Demon’s Demands
219 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"To our Majesty, as heroes from another world, we are cultured with these events for it is our everyday living. I'm talking about the potential fake Hero candidates and possible Hero killers. I suggest that we should break ties from people whose trust is being questioned immediately. I'm fully aware that my words as part of demon lineage, it holds no meaning. That's why there is only one thing that makes us agree to one another. A temporary truce after you broke ties with those people I mentioned earlier."

The High Royal Guard delivered the message to the King in clear and exact detail on how Gevanni told him.

Despite the King's old age, he had a mountain of roiling muscle, outsized arms hung like menacing weapons from his sloping shoulders, and his back had the texture of a bag full of angry snakes. He removed his weighted upper clothing, it made a sound as if 650 pounds of metal was dropped, and revealing large amounts of sweat from his as if a heavy rain suddenly fell—the moment it was exposed to the sun, it evaporated slowly. 

"I must be getting frail if someone had the guts to say that to me." The King replied as he swung his sword numerous times faster than before. Every hack he made is almost the same speed as the blinking eye.

"Please don't think of that, my Majesty! You are our King until to the ends of time!" The High Royal Guard commented.

The King paused his practice and looked to the eyes of the High Royal Guard, "I appreciate your loyalty," and continued his training again. 

Upon slashing in quick succession, all of the dummy targets were reduced into fine sand." We summoned a half-demon instead. That is unheard of."

"Yes, just like what you've said." The High Royal Guard commented.

"I fear no man, but I don't want to assume things. This person who asked you to deliver this message—describe him." The King commanded as he shifted his sights from the High Royal Guard and looked into the blade of his sword—there were cracks on it, and with one more use, it will certainly shatter into pieces.

At the side of the King is no other than Prince Ernest, who was practicing along with him. 

Unlike his father's beast-like body, The Prince notably had a natural and well-defined athletic body. His gold eyes are of those of a darting exotic fish. 

"You're in the presence of our King. Why are you trembling with fear?" With his charming low voice, The Prince asked the High Royal Guard as he tied his shoulder-length light-taupe hair.

As soon as The Prince removed his sweat-covered shirt and twisted it to dry, The King's sword shattered. 

"Ernest… That was unnecessary. Don't pressure him further." The King received another sword from one of the royal guards stationed at the background and practiced his sword swings again.

"Please forgive my rude behavior, My King." The High Royal Guard finally regained his composure and faced the King worthy of recognition—all the while where The King swung his sword heavily, made every sword on the table jumped into the air, and ricocheted to each other. 

The Prince barely deflected everything; before he could breathe, an immediate heavy blow struck him. He barely withstood the blow, angled and sliding himself from the momentum, thus, dodging it.

Impressed by the Prince's maneuver, The King completely stopped his training and asked for a dry towel. "You are forgiven. Now, describe him, my dear knight." The King's sword shattered again. He then signaled his men for water. 

The High Royal Guard removed his helmet and wiped the sweat from his forehead. "I-I strongly believe he—He resemble Apocope—Apocope himself. Also, he has a partner that could be a lesser demon, and she looks like a young child in her early hundred years or in a human perspective, an adolescent." While stuttering his words, he couldn't believe he remained strong while facing Gevanni and Izuna's demonic aura earlier.

"Did he mention the date on how long he wanted the answer?" The King sat into the small staircase. He then splashed all of the water from the cup that was handed to him into his face.

"He said that he'd let Our Majesty do as they please." The High Royal Guard offered another dry towel to the King.

"How many were summoned?" The King cleaned his face.

"It was supposed to be twelve Hero Candidates, but they're only two." The High Royal Guard handed a bunch of papers. It consists of information from Gevanni and Izuna that was acquired by Feomi Pencaster.

The King covered himself in a dry towel and proceeded into assessing the situation.

"As expected of Bethysia, she quickly grasped the situation and sent messengers ahead that we'll accept this demon's deal and Jeanne as assurance. I'll give her a steamy reward later on."

"Father, ahem!" Prince Ernest halted the King's immersion into his thoughts by removing the dry towel.

"Perhaps the others were transported into the lesser summoning towers. Go fetch every Hero immediately." The King stood and commanded.

"Understood!" The High Royal Guard quickly flees from the scene along with his men.

"One moment." The King requested, and the guards stopped.

"It's obvious that there's no reason to turn down this fool's request. We can't risk them going to the Imperial Army." The King insisted. 

"I do not question your authority nor your actions, my Majesty, but that approach would question our authority if we let demons roam here. We have to consult Queen Bethysia herself as well." The High Royal Guard disagreed with the King's statement. 

"It's a huge and risky gamble. We'll take them as guests from another country. As assurance, I'll involve the four great heroes. Also, use the steam-powered armored carriages from the Empire and catch up with Jeanne."

"Understood!" The High Royal Guard bowed with his men and left the place.

The Prince approached the King and lightly knocked his chest with his fist. "Father, is it my job to fetch him too? This time?"

"Yes, we need to cast the Blessing to those half-demons."

"The King and Prince wore their robes at the same time. 

"I heard he proposed and created that magic, but why his very own magic is imprisoning him?" The Prince asked. 

"Things will be grim onwards. Bancroft is a warlock and used to be the progenitor of the head family of the witch cult." The King didn't hesitate to announce such a piece of sensitive information. 

"That Bancroft? The one who's responsible for great damages to this kingdom and was subjugated by Big brother Arkzell himself!? The first mage in history to evenly match with a berserker!?" The Prince's eyes widened in surprise as he imagined the face of Bancroft.

"Don't falter. I have no hints of doubt to Bancroft. We converted him into our ally. Just like what we were about to these lesser demons." The King assured as he pat the Prince's back. 

 

 

Halls of Evanslei Palace. 

"Gamcys, I believe you’re not here just to sightsee…" The prince asked the old man whose beard tied in a braid.

"If it isn’t Prince Ernest? I heard you’re supposed to stay at our Majesty’s side." The old man Gamcys corrected his posture. 

"Actually, he’s behind you." The Prince said as he pointed his finger. 

"That caliber of magic, are you aware of that, former witch hunter?" The king murmured. 

"Holy heavens! Don't scare me like that, My majesty, King Nicholas!" Old man Gamcys hop for a moment and almost tripped himself. Thankfully, he gained his balance. 

"Don’t act like surprised. I know you’re here because of what happened during the summoning." The King gently caressed old man Gamcys' back as if they were long time friends.

"Our greatest twelve sages transformed into their childlike selves and temporary fugue. Not only that, but they also have a unique disturbance going on in their mana cores." Gamcys reported.

"If ever, that being who did that, we will have no choice but to rely on the fourth prince…" The king touched his chin as he loudly wondered. Upon continuing his thoughts, he clenched his fist. "This pains me to resort to such a vile tactic. However, if the result is to reduce the casualties—I have no choice but to accept a demon’s wage."

"Big brother Arkzell… I hope he don’t overdo things."

Both The King and The Prince left Gamcys.

"That troublemaker, huh? A bad last resort." Old man gamcys commented while he moved to the opposite direction that the King and Prince took. 

"What was father and mother thinking in making that announcement? If they were just low-level demons, we could have eradicate them easily." Prince Ernest reminiscences what happened earlier. 

 

3