Chapter 12; A Deal
197 4 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This small, square room has coordinating wooden furniture. The seats were cushioned. The floor is tiled, and the walls are painted and decorated with a flock wallpaper. The room is done in colors that remind you of an old book and overall has a clean look.

“The payment will be billed in a month and a half. Seven hundred gold coins and Three S-Class monster souls. Do you think you can handle that?”

This gentleman’s lemon-yellow eyes are those of a savvy alley cat. He has short, brick-red hair, which is in a style that reminds you of the dragon’s scales. His form is sleek, and Aristocrat is the best term you can think of. He is Belmare Fate Stockfelt, the representative of the noble house of Stockfelt.

“Are you here to degrade me or you enjoy being sarcastic?” Gevanni replied as he crossed his arms to one another and looked down unto Belmare as if he was an insect.

“No, no! I find this implausible.” Belmare closed his eyes for a moment and slowly waved his hands to clear the confusion.

Gevanni won’t buy it. It’s obvious that Belmare is playing with him.

“The fact that you have no training both in physical and mage combat is indeed true, but these are the gear you requested…” Belmare clasped his hands together. “...Is at Platinum level. A grade that even Ruby Class takes decades to reach.”

After all, Belmare knew from personal experience how harsh the hunting spots had gone ever since the magic anomalies appeared. Monsters are gathering into hordes and attacking any humans in sight strategically. It is considered unsafe for unregistered to bronze class to act in these times.

“You’re quite the bad negotiator, but I do admire your concerns; This is no longer a question of my skill but rather my competitors against high ranking monsters,” Gevanni replied.

Gevanni was determined to rise in ranks, even if it meant that he’s charging into unknown risks. If he can breakthrough, he’ll follow it no matter how far it goes. If not, he will seduce the fearsome adversaries with his collections of facts and beat them using their specialty.

“Bahahaha!!!” Belmare almost dropped his coffee on his hand. “It’s been ages since someone said that to me. Let’s say we can be friends, no?”

As a capable businessman, Belmare knew there was a mountain of pending issues regarding logistics and competition. Thus, even while retaining his humorous tone, the only thing on his mind was smoothly selling the poached monsters with an interest rate to his various connections.

“No, I would consider it to be business partners instead.”

In response, Gevanni boldly plays the unabashed patriot, highlighting that it would be a waste of an opportunity. He also suggests that it depends on the damage contribution to the poached monsters should be one of the factors that should be considered when splitting the loot.

It made Belmare who thoroughly enjoys his coffee put it down on the table for once.

“Such a proactive young De…” Belmare clears his throat, “Man…” Belmare quickly shifts, “ Yes, you are indeed right. There has been a shortage of high-ranking monsters recently. I’m not sure if the magic anomalies caused it or something else.”

This implies whoever finds a high-ranking monster first, there's a probability of finding their rival/family nest around. Leaving other competitors to hunt outside Evanslei.

“I don’t have 300 gold coins and one S-Class monster soul to pay right now. Bill it to my bank.”

Gevanni chose to meet this risk with utmost discipline because he was confident enough from the skills he acquired from all the games he played.

And as aspiring Deicide.

“You’re making a bad image to your credit score. Especially on your first transaction.”

Hence Belmare’s initial disbelief. How can a newly summoned hero not be able to cast any magic nor know any basic combat training take down a group of Jivorr or any intelligent monster?

“Shouldn’t you call it an investment? Insecurities aside… Do you know a high ranking monster that lives nearby?” Gevanni gazed at Belmare with curiosity. Belmare couldn’t prolong the eye contact with Gevanni and decided to walk towards the windows and look outside.

“I’m not supposed to tell this yet until confirmed.” Belmare hesitates for a brief moment, aligning his thoughts on the best ways to proceed.

“The House of Elinslotte is about to release a quest for the Hunters’ Guild to erase the menace that’s been causing a lot of mayhem near the Mana Essenther Mountains… A newly appointed Jivorr Commander.”

“That would at least give me 400 gold coins, right?” Gevanni expected.

Belmare nodded in agreement. “Yes, but of course, you’re going to split that money with your team. Along with the future monsters, you’re going to poach like the canines; at best, it will take you to reach…”

A laborer knocked into the door. “It’s me! The Package is here!” The guard at the door opened it, and he has a platinum plate strapped on his waist with an F-3 embedded. That’s why even in the presence of Gevanni, Belmare had no serious doubts about whether any possible intruders could inflict danger. Unless he's still underestimating Gevanni.

“We arrange all your temporary needs, De…” Belmare purposely stopped mid-way as he accepted the signed letter by Gevanni.

The laborer pushed the movable crate towards Gevanni and opened it for him.

“Do you think these items will suffice?” Belmare added as he checked the lists of necessities on the contract.

It was a contract that Gevanni specifically commissioned to make a unique gear for him. Unfortunately, due to Gevanni’s highly specific demands, it will take at least two months to be produced. As compensation, he’ll be using a lower grade that is similar to the one he envisioned.

“Hmph! More than enough… One thing, shouldn’t you be assured that I’m being watched all day?” Gevanni sarcastically said loudly and pointed at his chain collar, “And this”.

The slave collar prevents Gevanni from using any magic whenever he shows maliciously intent or hints of murdering any citizen of Evanslei. It is made from The blessing of The royal Majesty, Epsilon's Prison's skill. 

One of the lesser nobles entered the room and whispered to Belmare.

“It seems that His Majesty would like to see your skill and therefore asked me not to demand money from you right now. As long as you come back alive and present the monsters you poached, it should complete the contract without having you to pay for it.”

I was waiting for this moment. Good thing, I dragged the conversation. Surprisingly my knowledge from the game, Herscheim, works well over here. Gevanni thought.

Belmare stood from his table and took a step back. “Please take this.” He extended his arm, handing some sort of card to Gevanni.

“Even if you have an unregistered class, this pass allows you to poach for monsters or join a team temporarily. However, it won’t let you upgrade your plate no matter how many times you present your poaches.”

The pass has a unique signature and has hints of recommendation from Belmare himself. Gevanni accepted and put it inside his chest pocket.

“If I managed to poach a high ranking monster while being unregistered, I won’t rise in ranks, right?” Gevanni asked.

“Yes, you are indeed correct.” Belmare smiled.

“Thanks for doing business with me.” Gevanni declared as he rose. “Your coffee must be cold. You haven’t taken a sip ever since I said that I consider you as a business partner.”

Unknown to Belmare, Gevanni snuck one of his papers from the table.

Belmare hasted and leisurely wet his palate by savoring the coffee to the last drop. “Pleasure doing business with you!!!”

9