Chapter 1; The Flowers Are Black
2k 15 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The room was filled with serious workers except for the unusual pair. A wacky red-haired woman with a black ribbon tied at the back and a diligent worker who still sucks lollipops like a kid.

Stacks of signed paper and organized office supplies were beside her. That red-haired woman is Izuna. However, her seemingly real pitch-black horns are far more astonishing than her wicked eyes.

Izuna wiped the sweat on her face with her black handkerchief. There’s a little design embroidered—Eight seconds have been passed. She then bends forward on her desk.

“When you’ve worked so hard, you even forget your own name... Give me a break!”

She barely could reach the power button and her empty mug fell. Its aroma has a hint of seaweed and faintly sweet scent.

“No, I can’t do this anymore… I need my theme song!”

Izuna’s eyes couldn’t take it anymore. Before she fell asleep, she turned off her computer.

Izuna’s coworker heard the sound of the computer switching to sleep mode. She then slid her chair towards Izuna and frantically looked at Izuna’s computer. She only finished inputting half of the data.

“Hey, Izuna senpai! You must be kidding? Don’t fall asleep when—" Izuna’s co-worker kept shaking her but she’s already fast-asleep. “Ahh!!! Bring it on! I can do this!”

Izuna remembered a memory from the past.

Huge intricate flying architectures are floating with harmony. A place as if it was a paradise built out of nowhere. Blue lights emanating from small flying creatures scattered around the place.

This is Izuna when she was young. Her smooth and charming small horns are such a teaser that makes you want to play with it. Izuna’s mother caressed her daughter’s horns. Unlike her, she had long horns that almost reached the floor and it's filled with dents and scratches.

“Mother, why would I go all the way to that filthy human world?”

A light sea breeze blew. The murky waters before became a huge reflection of the night sky.

“I found him finally.” Izuna’s mother fixed her hair. You can truly see her vivid similarities with her daughter. She’s more proper because of her hair tied in a complex yet decorative manner. While Izuna has her uncombed hair down. 

“Finally? Ah? The guy with a tremendous amount of mana.” Little Izuna jumped to the flowerbed of those flying creatures. It was soft, similar to lying on a grass field. One of the flying creatures landed into her nose. It seemingly looks like a butterfly.

“Achoo!”

“I know you can do it. Sorry.” Izuna’s mother smiled as she looked through the skies. 

Little Izuna tried to peek at her mother’s mana core. In short, the inside of her heart. Tons of various magic sigils appeared out of nowhere and were floating behind Izuna’s mother.

Little Izuna's eyes widened out of surprise. Her mind is filled with questions on how or what ways to achieve that state.

“It’s alright. After all, you can’t leave here. Just depend on me! Right, Mother Euphrasia?”

The sigils became transparent.

“I appreciate that. Also, be careful about him.”

Euphrasia then chanted her magic and transported her daughter to the human realm.

Lights were gleaming from a distance in a sluggish afternoon. Lots of figures posed dramatically as if there was a photoshoot going on.  

“That light… Is that the legendary nudist beach!?” Izuna’s dream stopped mid-way because her coworker flashed her phone in front of Izuna’s eyes.

“Since then, as a Godkin offspring, I spent my time on Earth to find him…” Izuna murmured as she laid back at her office chair and rubs her eye dirt away.

“Senpai, wake up! If you sleep more, I’ll be in a great pinch!” Izuna’s coworker gently slaps half-asleep Izuna.

“But up to this day, I still can’t find him.” Izuna swings around her office hair using her feet.

“I know you’re being chunni, Izuna-senpai~ What’s with that nonsense while half-asleep!?” Izuna’s coworker caught up to her and charged her foot to violently swing Izuna’s office hair.

“Awawawa~! That hurts! Agent no.2, cut it out!”

Despite recovering from that, Izuna stood up in front of her coworker as she rested her hands on her hips. Although, she still couldn’t look straight.

“At last! I’m free! It’s hard to do mine and yours at the same time, Senpai!”

“Fufufufu. You just said the word. You mean under new management.”

Izuna pulled a thumbs up. As expected, her coworker could barely handle her chuuni sense anymore.

“Let’s get some early dinner. It’s on me, agent no.2! Muhahahaha!!!”

 

[Part I] 

 

This vast, rectangular classroom has coordinating sleek design. Light is provided by ceiling light and holograms embedded on the student desks.The seats were in place but the way it is moved proves that the class just ended. Only one student remained. He sorted the diagrams and quickly typed. He merged and folded the dual monitor to become a printer. A thin almost translucent paper was made. His name is Gevanni. 

A news video popped out. Another mass killing is reported but the murderer is still yet to be found. Their main targets are those top players who participate in grand tournaments of Herscheim.

As much as I love this world, I detest it. Everyone is so fixated in obtaining power and crushing what they deemed as enemies—without even considering that they were also weak and had to protect something other than themselves. Gevanni wondered.

He shutted down the computer and put his seat properly.

That way of thinking only tricks the students in these totalitarian-like states of schools. Because of that, they mostly breed scums. Gevanni speculated as he stared blankly in space. 

The doors automatically slid. There was a professor who rushed to the back of the classroom. He went past Gevanni. 

Just like me. Isn’t it so tragic? Gevanni pondered. 

The professor noticed Gevanni’s presence at his back. “I hope this won’t be another blank again. It’s such a waste if your abilities are wasted”, the professor said as he sighs deeply. He received the print that was handed to him. 

Various complex diagrams and numbers popped out in thin air. The professor swiped hastily and solved it in minutes. It turns out only the word Deicide is the content of the print. It made him wonder as to why Gevanni had to do that; he could have just said what he wanted to the professor. 

“All I wish is to see what awaits ahead—the path I’m going ahead. Because I know what true weakness really means. The overwhelming injustice of society has no part with this. The true weakness that mankind has…” Gevanni commented. 

The professor dropped his jaw. “Are you serious, Gevanni-kun!?” It seems that being a Deicide matters a lot in this time and age. 

I handed another print to my professor. It’s much more harder than the first. I’m sure it will take a while for him to decrypt it.  

“Yes, teach. Isn’t it embarrassing that we act too high when we contribute little to no benefit to those who protect us?” Gevanni replied as he left the classroom. 

The empty hallway is broad and straight like a tunnel. The floor is shiny though, just like the waters in the calm ocean, brought to a high polish by a dedicated caretaker.

The disturbing part of being the weakest is that we often find shortcuts to attain our goals—our other senses become numb as we lust for something. Because of that, I hate those who seek to rule the uneducated. Gevanni wondered as he fixed his eyes to the students approaching him.

Just like demons who prey on them. Especially like them. Gevanni murmured.

Those students passed Gevanni. Although they look like misfits up to no good around these times, surprisingly, they didn’t have any intentions yet.

“To protect yourself from this harsh reality, all you had to do is obey the rules—that way of thinking is foolish. If arrogance isn’t abused…” Gevanni assumed as he stopped. 

Standing 5’9” tall, this tan-skinned man has an expressive feel about him, and he has a large cut on his right ear which he got when he was attacked many years ago. He cornered Gevanni and slammed his arms against the wall. This is not a wall slam just like in your yaoi romance novels but rather an implication of over-aggressiveness. His name is Hajime. 

“Gevanni, can you quietly hand over your money?” Hajime softly whispered to Gevanni’s ear.

The world won’t change for you, but you can change the world. That’s why I feel no need to be pent up. Nor any reason to run away nor fight them. Gevanni thought as his right shoulder was grasped and lowered his balance by Hajime. 

It doesn’t mean I should just accept my fate so easily. However, I don’t consider myself doing such lofty ideals. Therefore, I won’t rant about justice and accept the victim card. Gevanni speculated while thinking on what’s the best option to retreat in this spot.

Inches lower than Gevanni, this creamed skinned man has a stoic feel about him. A particular notable feature is his mischievous grin. People like him are so common in the wild—they start a fight they couldn’t finish. His name is Kei. 

“He’s right! No one would bother. After all, you’re the infamous ghost of this academy”, Kei insisted. 

Gevanni shows no signs of resistance. Hajime quickly unbuttons Gevanni’s straps and throws his bag to Kei. 

Kei scuffled around Gevanni’s bag and scattered his belongings.”Damn! Where’s your credit card!?” Most of Gevanni's belongings are mainly cleaning supplies and personal hygiene products.

Hajime feels Gevanni’s chest until he reached Gevanni’s back, sliding his hands easily to Gevanni’s butt and search for his wallet. Unfortunately, it's all empty. 

The moment both punks were disappointed, Gevanni quickly stood in front of them while asserting his dominance with a calm composure. “You lot are just demons.” He let out a soul-piercing gaze into their eyes. It made those punks take a step away from him.

I’m well aware of the difference between their and my physical aspects. Gevanni thought as he followed Hajime’s ankle shift. 

“What did you just say, bastard?” Hajime shouted as he threw a strong left punch. Gevanni quickly evaded.

“Depending to another when you need help? Are you afraid to do it alone?” Gevanni provoked Kei. In retaliation, Hajime secured Gevanni’s other arm.

As expected, he took my collar and raised me. He then clenches his fist—ready to punch me anytime. Only punks like him couldn’t even understand between the distinction of using your power for yourself and for others. I would like to call this “loathing your weaknesses and have to justify yourself or in other words, the entitled kid”.

“I’ll smash your head and your face over and over!” Hajime exclaimed. His face is obvious that he’s just scaring off Gevanni. He doesn't intend to do that.

Justifying your own nature over self-gratification. That’s what I see in their actions. These punks are hoping if they could please their boss if they did something like this to me.  I couldn’t help but to sneer at him. Gevanni thought. 

“Oh! Punks are dumb. That’s why they can’t read the atmosphere.” Gevanni boldly said.

“Talking like some big shot… You, nerdy freak!” Kei insisted as he maintained a safe distance against Gevanni.

“You just proved my point. Let me ask you a question. Depending on your answer, I could let you beat me.”

Hajime threw his punch.

“Yo, stop it. That scheming half-foreigner is not worth the trouble.”

Hajime pulled out his punch. His knuckles bleed. Gevanni dodged it right in time.

That ripped man with broken arm support is the leader of them. He’s the same year as me but I made him repeat for two years. Gevanni thought out loud. He noticed that there’s a bystander watching these scenes from a distance. 

“Gevanni, as always, your blue eyes feel so distant. That’s why you’re a ghost—you don’t see things face to face.”

I quite like that man. Instead of running away from his failures, he punishes himself. That’s why I would never see him eye to eye— it puts my actions into disgrace. How ironic, isn’t it? Perhaps, I’m a demon as well. Gevanni thought. He let Kei and Hajime grab both of his arms.

The guy with broken arm support unwrapped his support and his bandages. He stretched his arm.

Why? It’s because failure is never my choice. That way of thinking always leads me to my own path. They deserve what they’re supposed to have— My retaliation. Gevanni thought as he looked at the leader’s torso.

“I’m a weak person. You know that already, Raizo.” Gevanni said.

Raizo moved his face closer to Gevanni. Raizo’s face look like a scary yakuza and doesn’t look like his age for a highschooler. Meanwhile, there’s Gevanni who have feminine like structure on his face and looked frail. Everyone knows the outcome of this fight already.

“Was I that obvious? Well, I won’t. I want to graduate this time.” Raizo eagerly replied as he was about to throw his punch.   

“I’m not that pathetic as to believe in someone who believes in me that I can do anything.”

Raizo noticed the sudden shift of Gevanni’s head. He quickly changed his punch into a solid elbow strike to Gevanni’s stomach.

Gevanni quickly stomped and flung the stylus pen mid-air. He then caught it using his mouth and thrust his body forward.

Raizo pulled out his elbow strike and leaned downwards to his right. In front of him is the stylus pen only millimeters away. The hunter became the prey instead. Both Kei and Hajime couldn’t do anything. They loosened their grip to Gevanni.

“Give up?” Gevanni asked. 

Raizo nodded and backed out. He brushed both punks away from Gevanni. 

“A-Aniki!” Both Hajime and Kei were worried why he gave up. 

Raizo quickly delivered a strong slap. Despite Raizo’s palm being twice the size of Gevanni’s face, the pen from his mouth didn’t fell.

Raizo grabbed Gevanni’s reddish face.

“I hate your face. It boils my blood that you looked like us.” Raizo insisted with anger visible on his face. 

“I thought you had enough.” Gevanni retaliated. In an instant, he knee strike and twisted Raizo’s elbow.

“Don’t get cocky, filthy halfie. Your little sis...” Raizo was interrupted until Gevanni thrust his pen inside Raizo’s mouth with the intention to rip his insides. 

Gevanni glared at injured Raizo like a dog begging for food. He then looked at Hajime and Kei. Their reactions were natural. That glare sent shivers to their spines.

"This pen is not that sharp. You're lucky," Gevanni commented.

Raizo raised his hand and handed some money to Gevanni to let him go. Gevanni accepted it.

Why is everyone content with their lives? Aren’t they just incapable beings to attain the future? Gevanni thought as he moved away his pen from Raizo’s mouth. 

Raizo coughed as he stood. “Scary. Scary. Come on guys, let's hit the arcade!” he then put both of his hands into his pocket.

I pity whoever wants everything when they are powerless and doing nothing to achieve it. If someone could hear my wishes. Please hear me. Gevanni begged inside his mind.

“Gevanni, just stick your nose where it belongs. Try going online again as the creator.” Raizo said with a sarcastic tone. 

“There’s no way I would go back to the hell I created. Don’t make me remember it again.” Gevanni replied.

“Too bad. I haven’t seen my friend online for seven years.” Raizo smiled as if Gevanni was his first and only friend.

“Tch! Gay-vanni… Just go back to your country!” Kei shouted as he broke Gevanni’s tablet. 

“You can never be Japanese like us!” Hajime shouted as he kicked the trash can and hastily went into Raizo’s side.

“See ya later, White Snow”, Raizo waved his hand.

“This is too broken… Just like them.” Gevanni used his disposable gloves and fixed the trash. He then wiped the stains on the floor with disinfectant wipes. 

I don’t have friends, but I chose it to be that way. Why? Even if I had one, I just treat them as objects who had the same experiences as me. They aren’t real. They wear masks to make themselves look better. Gevanni thought as he looked at the clock.

“Just like rotten people all over the world.”

Gevanni went into the locker room and opened his locker.

“A mail specifically sent for me in school. Not directly at home?” Gevanni murmured. He uncovered the other tip of the pen. It revealed a sharp blade. He used it to cut the old-fashioned letter wrap. 

If God is truly gracious—I hope, he could answer my selfish request. To attain the power that is enough to erase this corrupt world.

It was a letter of recognition. The moment Gevanni saw the appreciation statements, he crumpled the paper and threw it to the trash.

It doesn’t matter if I have to sacrifice myself as well— to atone for my past. Gevanni continued what he thought of earlier.

He sat on the bench and crossed his leg to the other. 

If this life where almost nothing happens continues— I have no choice but to live a quiet life. Isn’t it too sinful for me to wish such a Godly request? It would be amazing if I were to experience any irregularities. Gevanni imagined and sighed deeply.

“Guess I’ll drop by that steakhouse again.” Gevanni removed the sticker below the bench and reached for the well carved hole. He had to use the blade of his pen to pull his wallet down. 

Or start my life again as another being. Gevanni continued what he thought earlier.

 

[Part II]

 

In this place, usually foreigners come here. It’s a safe haven for us. We can speak English to our heart’s content. Although, we have to mind our own business. Or else, we’ll be bugged by weeb foreigners. 

Spending your time alone as you reward yourself from doing hard work doesn’t seem lonely, right? Well, I don’t care. I’m used to it.

The male server in front of Gevanni carefully laid all the food he requested.

I devoured the first piece of steak medallion. When I was about to take the second one, a woman sat in front of me. Her clothes are different. It’s more businesslike. She’s not part of the staff accompanying lonely guests. If I were to guess, she’s around in her twenties or early thirties.

Almost everyone is looking funny at us. The only thing that stands the most is her seemingly real horns.

With a beauty like her, it’s hard to imagine having a body modification like that. I rarely watch television. Maybe it’s a new product like those cat-themed headphones.

“You eat a lot, don’t you?” The businesswoman said after she took an additional order to the male server. 

I might be imagining things. Maybe she’s one of those TV producers or Talent Scouts. I didn’t bother to look at her after that. I only went to this place just to eat not to mingle and flirt with a stranger.

“I keep wondering when you’ll ever talk every time I order for refills, Gevanni-san” 

“Who knows.”

It seems I attracted another creep who would try to trick me by putting this on their tab and walk with them to their place. I won’t waste my energy just for that.

“Last plate, please and thank you! Oh! It’s my treat for him. Can you kindly please put this in my tab?”

“Yes, my dear customer. Our regular, Estella-san.” The male server said with a slight smile and left as soon as he can so that he won’t be part of the awkward moment between her and Gevanni. 

Just what I have thought— this is becoming sketchy or rather too cliché. 

“Are you sure you’re not from another world? Your mana is overflowing.”

At that moment, I didn’t know what she was talking about. Mana? As in what you commonly see in fantasy? Nothing feels strange but what is this weird feeling? Why I feel that she’s different from us.

I quickly grabbed my phone and looked at my face— it’s normal. I gently brushed my hair by the side.  

Maybe I just imagined it. I thought I was transported into another world. No, maybe it already happened. It just happened that everything still looked the same.

“Excuse me! Is there something wrong with me?” Gevanni raised his hand as he asked. 

“No. Umm… Do you need something?” The waitress put another batch of plates and took the finished ones. 

“Sorry. It’s nothing.”

That red-haired woman is such a big eater. Is her stomach a black hole? It’s best not to act rash and think things over again.

Gevanni drank the last drop of his drink as he watched Estella gobble the food.

The possibility of me being transported is pretty low. If that’s the case, why in the modern era?... This is so humiliating to think that a chuuni dragged me to her pace.

“I already finished the food?” Gevanni looked confused that he already finished his plates. He didn’t know that Estella had been sneakily stealing meat from him. Especially the burnt ones. 

I can’t believe I got flustered for something trivial such as this. I might be overthinking things again. It’s bad for my health.

Estella keeps on poking the edge of her mouth. I realized that there were stains from my mouth. I wiped it and continued eating.

I need to gather more information while pretending to be casual towards her. Good thing that I’m such a slow eater.

And so— I spent the time eating with her. Although, I only answered her questions with simple yes and no. This is the first time I had trouble with a woman. Normally, they would be content if they just talked to me. Maybe I should contact Emi-chi for advance tips. 

I scanned the area around us. The customers and the regulars eat like the usual. Still, nothing feels out of ordinary.

“Are you a walking display?”

Estella played with her long red hair using her fingertips. I wonder why she became grumpy. As soon as she stopped playing with her hair, I knew she’s going to spout some nonsense. 

“I see. You’re his other half. I’m glad.”

I didn’t hear what she said but I know she whispered something. Estella quickly wipes the stain on my mouth. I just stared at her as she finished it.

For a moment, when someone is this close you can’t help but to check each other’s faces. She then leans back. She smelled different, unlike the girls who have been trying to get close to me. It feels like an aroma you normally smell on a faraway island.  

“You won’t believe me but I’m a Demon Lord from another world vacationing here~”

As Estella shook her glass of lemonade, smiling as if it was common to say in this world. 

She seemed happy mentioning that. Is that even a good thing to brag? If she’s already one, I already risked myself affiliating with a Demon! Does it mean she’s after my soul?

“What a letdown. You’re quite the cold type, huh? How about I make you a Demon too!”

It wasn’t even a harassment or even teasing, Estella intended for it to happen. 

This stupid joke still continues, and I couldn’t let myself cough. Well, it won’t hurt me if I were to try to join her pace a bit.

“That is if you can.” 

I felt satisfied for a bit. Even if this is not something that I’d wish for, maybe, perhaps, she’ll bring me to a world where I can find my answers and start anew. 

“Yes! That’s our promise between us.”

Estella let a tear flow into her cheeks. It’s as if she fulfilled something she dreamt before. 

I hesitated for a moment, but I accepted her pinky promise.

“It’s not like—my face is becoming red because of this embarrassment; it’s just my face is swelling from this intense tension!”

After I turned my head to the side, underneath the table, I touched the wall. It seems my current situation is still vague. There are no illusions involved. I’m sure this is the real world. For now.

“It’s quite fun for me to tease you a bit.”

I don’t have to question if she was being honest about that. How come, I won’t even notice that little smug of hers? It’s obvious! She’s making fun of me!

“Ahh~~ I’m so full. I might be mistaken that you impregnated me.”

It’s a bad joke at a bad place in a bad time. I guess whenever I talk to her, I need to shut down my brain cells just to match with her… It’s quite weird that I’m starting to grow fond of it. 

Considering myself to become an idol or an actor disguised as a demon is not bad at all. Heck! Maybe it would be fun pretending to be one.

“Wait— What the hell are you even saying?”

It took me a while to comment on her bad joke. Geez. I wonder when will this stop. 

“Don’t worry, Gevanni-san. With our powers together, we can destroy any secret organizations that are after us.”

I hope she doesn't have a severe case of chuunibyou. If not, where does she get her confidence? Things will get complicated if I spent my time with her longer.

As adults, we both know our actions. We’re supposed not to do things that troubles others. You’re just being immature.

“I admit you’re a great person. However, I’m sorry. I don’t like the way you approached me.”

With a straight face, I told her that. It’s not like I should feel being appreciated for her actions. It’s a choice she made in the first place.

“You’re being hard-headed now? Maybe you’re a tsundere too?”

I took a card from my wallet and gave it to the servers who served us. It’s a handcrafted thank you card.

“As for you…”

I’ll forever brand her as Chuuni Demon. Also, it’s normal to ditch weird girls like her. She might be the “if you love my crush, I’ll kill you” type. 

I didn’t mention her name despite hearing it or even gave her a thank you card. Yes, this is rude for me but I don’t have any obligations to trust a stranger completely.  

“Ahh~ He turned me down.”

Estella said as she looked down and feeling as if something is weighing her down from her shoulder. 

“Senpai! Don’t leave me alone!”

Agent no.2 said as she tries to finish her food but she got choked instead. 

“Just go back to work or something. We’ll look suspicious if we follow him.”

Estella commanded and pursues Gevanni from a distance. 

“Ehhhh!? No way!”

 

[Part III]

 

Things are still normal. The streets I usually don’t use when I go home—Everything is the same. But what I felt earlier, is without a doubt, real. Time completely stopped for a moment except for the both of us. What’s with that distorted image? It looked like a monster…

I tried to call that image but I sensed her presence. In that street, we were both alone. I don’t have to bat my eyes. It’s obvious she’ll talk loudly.

“I’m going to report you to the police if you keep on following me.”

“We’re going to ask your parent’s permission first!”

“What?”

In the first place, how come she knows my name and I have parents? This is getting suspicious. She is rather bold or dumb enough to be caught. 

“This is hard for me you know. Someone is trying to force summon us to another world.”

“Yes, yes. Whatever you say.”

Taking the phone out of my pocket—I answered the call. A hologram appears in front of me showing the current situation at our student council’s room. 

“White Snow… No, as ‘President Gevanni Masahiko’ we know you’re off duty but…” 

The moment the vice president referred to my real position only means that there’s something important that needs action. I trust him so much that I let him pretend as the president and fill the role of the vice president of the student council at the same time. He’s a capable person except for one thing...

He’s a masochist with a dual personality.

I guess comparing him to Estella as a stalker would be a compliment for him. Hmm… I had a fair share of stalkers over the years, huh? 

“Failure to wear your armband within the campus during the end of classes is unacceptable. On top of that, despite filing about that incident to our Professor so that Raizo will learn his lesson in his cell, you let him go scot-free. Why protect him?”

“Kojima Satoru. How many times do I need to tell you the article 7? If the victim is being assaulted and if he happened to escape from that assault, the perpetrator cannot be apprehended; But instead, he’ll comply with a designated community service depending on the severity of the assault.” 

“We know you can handle yourself, President, but you need to abide by the rules!”

By the time Satoru about to lecture Gevanni, he was pushed by a black-haired girl. 

“The sadistic novelist who loves shotas, secretary Hanekawa Rika. Reporting~” 

I let out a deep sigh. It feels like as time passes I’m being surrounded by idiots. Why can’t they just act normal? This is not an anime you know… Freaking weebs. 

“You know what President? We already apprehended that troublemaker~ No, it’s all of my efforts that it was made possible~” Rika spoke slowly as if it was her speech pattern. 

“You didn’t go over the top don’t you, Rika?”

“No, not at all~! I just announced the arcade to close all their doors and activate their emergency anti-intruder gas~” Rika cheerily said. 

“What about the civilians?”

“Hehehe~ My bad! I really went over the top.” 

“Hehehe my ass! Even if we’re going to end up broke, make an apology letter and give funds to those affected. Emi-chi is already traumatized by your acts and handling our finances. You dumb chicken nugget!” 

“I-I’m a stupid chicken nugget?”

“Say it again!”

“I’m a stupid chicken nugget! Ah~! Geez! Please forgive me, President!”

I immediately ended the call as soon as Koji-kun about to start his long explanation on how to treat people.  

“That’s quite intense. Are you sure you want them to lose their minds over that?” Estella asked. 

“They’re still kids if they don’t get used to it.” 

“I know you care for them and you have been secretly texting them on how to fix the mess they made.”

“No comment.”

 

[Part IV]

 

This is my home. We’re not either rich or poor. We just had an average household. This is where I can express my emotions the most. After all, I feel free here.

I don’t think highly of my parents nor hate them. I’m not sure if they’re the best parents I’ve ever had but they all just do is gaming! A shut-in! 

But there is part of me that feels in debt to them. They made me special and able to grow like this. 

My father John Emenrich-Masahiko, a professional esports player who played against my mother Mayuri Takigawa-Masahiko through an official worldwide tournament and ended it with a draw. Since then and after I was born, they keep on dueling together.

If there’s a chance that my parents earned more money than usual whenever they stream, they blow it hard. They believe pay-to-win is the best.

I lost count of the times I have to cover them so that they won’t get cold and put a few bunches of cup ramens early in the morning. In return, they tidy this place as if we were waiting for visitors.

A black rose petal fell unto my hand. I grasped onto it as I looked into the gloomy sky.

Gevanni reminisced about his past.

“It’s natural you’d lose. I bear the unfairness of both future and past. So, don’t cry, Geva-nii.”

“You’re such a bully, nee-chan!”

In reality, it’s to remember what happened that time—Where I foolishly let my sister die. It took a while for us to grow out of it; To the point that my mother has to officially marry a foreigner and told my biological father that she’s been cheating for years. 

 

My father rushed from the stairs and he almost tripped. 

“Hey, Eugene! Welcome home!” John said as he tapped my shoulder. 

“Don’t call me like that! You, Elf Addict!”

I shouted at him and we often do this all the time. 

“Thanks for the compliment.”

“That’s not a compliment!”

I shouted again enough for my Mom to yell “Go beat your monkeys somewhere!” 

Surprisingly this chuuni demon is well-behaved. 

“You get noisy when you’re at home, huh? It’s amazing you can switch off to that personality easily.” Estella said as she took off and put aside her shoes. 

“Who are you even to judge me? Self-proclaimed Demon!”

This day… Out of 365 days! It feels like what you’ll see in a generic slice of life anime. The moment I shouted Demon my mom also rushed here. 

“What a bummer. I thought you’re a smoking hot demon… male.” Mayuri sarcastically said with hints of disappointment on her face.  

“Ah! Hello there, Oka-san and Oto-san.” Estella bows and presented herself to Gevanni’s parents.

“I’m amazed that a virgin like you could get a beauty like her home.” John keeps on hitting softly Gevanni’s side using his elbow.

“I’m not!”

The only thing I hate about my parents is their consistent teasing. I don’t even know how to manage myself and—

“Hora~ You’re blushing,” Mayuri said as she gets closed to Gevanni and picking his nose. 

I had to brush my mom to the chair or else this would turn into a difficult situation. 

“Kyah~~” 

“Let’s talk about this seriously.” Gevanni boldly said as he took Estella’s hand and went upstairs. 

“Mayuchi, do you think he got the guts to have a good harem?” John asked. 

“Idiot! He’s different from us. It’s because we tried to raise him like a normie.”

 

This large, L-shaped bedroom has coordinating metal, wood, and glass furniture. The room is done in an ocean theme in cool colors and overall has a fantasy-look to it. The first thing you can notice here is the handcrafted minimalistic bookshelves with different shapes that Gevanni handcrafted. 

“Oh? Your room is different. Are you in that phase?” Estella asked as he smelled the rosemary-scented room. 

“I live a strict and daily routine-based schedule. That’s why I made this room specialized for that. If you think that—” 

Gevanni was interrupted when Estella went directly to Gevanni’s bed and searched for stuff underneath it. 

“Amazing… After that babbling, there’s no ero-books. D-don’t tell me you swing that—”

I couldn’t let a facepalm. Not only she invaded my privacy, she has the guts to tell me that.

“It’s not a coincidence you found me. What is your deal, chuuni Demon!?”

I sat into my favorite cushioned office chair and crossed my leg to another. 

“Nothing. I thought you might get lonely and confused when we’re both being transported into another world at different times. In fact, you should be thankful that I might end up being your guide.”

I stared at her and I’m sure she must be lying. There’s no way for a chuuni to make up a story this far… It’s taking a while. Why isn’t she adding something into it? Seriously? Is that it?

“Also, stop calling me chuuni demon. I have a name. Don’t mispronounce it, okay?” Estella said as she stood up. 

“Yes, yes, whatever you say.”

“I-zu-na-Es-te-lla! Got it?”

“Ah~! Please forgive my so unsightly behavior, Ms. Estella. You expect me to say but… No! My dear chuuni demon, Ella.” Gevanni said jokingly while closing his eyes for a moment.

“Don’t even call me like that! At least wear your lab coat!”

“Well? I have a lot of questions to ask but I’ll let you do all the talking.”

Of course, that was a lie. There’s no way I can put common sense to a chuuni. On top of that, why is she making so many references? Is this how weebs normally talk?

Estella calmed herself down and sat on Gevanni’s bed. 

“We are different versions of demons. Our proper name is Spectators. Our job is just live with you guys for hundreds of years and leave it to our Destroyers.”

“An infinite loop, huh? I’m not even interested. What is the fun of watching and destroy us anytime?”

Silence filled the room. It seemed I asked a sensitive question or something that her mind can’t process. If that’s the case, I can turn this into my advantage. 

“In the first place, if you were God, you could’ve done a lot if you used your powers.”

The moment I stood up, I felt a burning sensation on my face. She slapped me with all she got. 

“Do you think I even wanted to be born this way!? Even if I did, there’s no way I would cheat to myself!”

Her eyes became teary. At this point, there’s no way she’s acting. I see no benefits of doing this. 

There’s a 75% that she’s the real thing. I didn’t realize that she was that fragile. Even my apologies won’t soothe the burn I inflicted.

The commotion caused by the second level were heard at the secondary gaming room; where John and Mayuri plays together with complete necessities. 

“Looks like she’s beating his monkey now.” John said as he controls his character to evade the undodgeable stream of attacks from Mayuri. 

“At last, I got that item first!” Mayuri shouted as she took a random power-up using her clone. 

Gevanni ought to find something and he opened an unlabeled box beneath his table without a thought. Inside the box, despite everything mostly covered with dust, it has the Universal Link Console and a certificate of being the 27th best player in Herscheim from seven years ago.

"It's been a while being White Snow..." Gevanni murmured as he closed the box and went after the table's drawers and scuffled. He then gave Estella some sort of spray.  

“What’s this?”

“A burn heal. I mean a water spray. It’s really hot outside.”

Estella removed her coat and handed it to Gevanni. He then put it into the clothing rack.   

“I’m sorry. I wasn’t supposed to be fed up… I—”

Gevanni sat beside Estella.

“I can see you face to face. B-Be grateful. I’ll join with your fun.”

“Are you going to say that I look cute even if I’m mad?”

Gevanni used his finger to lightly knocked Estella’s forehead. 

“Don’t get ahead of yourself.” 

And so they spent the time together. Gevanni carefully listened at Estella’s story and her reasons behind following him. That’s when Gevanni finally decided that he can trust her.

 

“Oka-san and Oto-san.”

“What’s with that serious tone, Gevanni?” John asked as he sips a can of cola.

“I’m going to accompany her for a while.” Gevanni said as he glances to Estella.

“You guys won’t believe me but I’m a demon vacationing here!”

I think I’m retarded for not forcing her go to the mental hospital first.

As expected my parents were confused. And so we spent the time listening to her whole story.

“That’s it. Is it fine if I could borrow your son a bit?” Estella asked for permission.

Gevanni’s parents were still in awe to the point that they haven’t been controlling their characters for a while. 

My parents are not that idiot as to believe in what she says…

John glances to Mayuri and she nodded. It was as if they decided to be open more about it and believe Estella’s story.

“Well, that’s a better way to go to another world. Plus, you have a beauty with you. I think you both could do it.”

“Oto-san, that’s a bad joke! Aren’t you worried about me going alone?”

“At least, you don’t have to risk yourself going to a dungeon and pick up your first waifu harem member.”

“Oka-san!”

Gevanni pouts as soon as it turned out the opposite of what he expected.

“I’m sure you’ll even find another way to powerup because the power of friendship doesn’t suit you,” Mayuri suggested. 

“Hey, can you bring me some busty elves?” John jokingly asked. Even Mayuri followed the same. “If you defeat the Demon King, hand me his body!” 

Estella laughed hysterically and it infected everyone. “I’m glad you have this family, Gevanni-san. They’re good people.”

“Your flattery is obvious, and it sucks.” Gevanni murmured. 

The moment the situation calmed down, Estella walked around the place while closing her eyes. It’s as if she’s feeling something. The rest of the family were confused so they decided to follow her. Estella ended up in the living room. 

She embraced herself, “Release suppression. Engage limiter removing. Initiate transform sequence. Outer wall of protection from negativity. Complete neutralization from outer damage below tier 4. Minimal auto-recovery. Secured gate of parallax. Forced attribute sharing. Mana barrier release,” and chanted.

To the rest of the family, nothing’s happening but Estella’s hair keeps on swaying from non-existent wind.

Oh God! She’s taking this in another level. She has major chuunibyou syndrome! Gevanni thought.  

“Activate!”

Both Estella and Gevanni vanished. 

“Woah!? Was that for real? Magic?” John stepped back as he couldn’t believe it was real. 

“I thought Gevanni brought another weird friend.” Mayuri checked underneath the carpet. It has a magic sigil. 

“Just let him do the Isekai thing. It’s going to be alright.” John assures. 

 

 

28