Chapter 1. My last day on Earth
1.4k 2 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In 2020, portals opened around the world and crowds of monsters appeared from them, ordinary weapons could not harm them, and along with the monsters, people began to awaken. The awakened ones had a system and mana with which to destroy the monsters. But of all people, only about 50% have awakened.

It is now the year 2030, terrible monsters roam outside the cities and it is extremely dangerous to go beyond the mana barrier without strong awakened ones. And I, dressed in shorts, a white T-shirt, gray pants and a black coat, go from the store home with bread and sausages in a bag.

I decided, as usual, to shorten the way home and go through the lanes. The sun was setting over the roofs of the houses, crickets began to sing, and the cracked brickwork of the houses, I passed, was covered with dozens of relatively beautiful graffiti, although for connoisseurs of modern art they would be masterpieces. Fortunately, I like the art of the late 19th/early 20th century more.

By the way, I haven't introduced myself yet. My name is John Gray, I'm 20 years old, I'm a freelance programmer and I'm among those unawaken losers. My parents died last year due to a portal breach. The government said that the awakened did not have time to arrive and paid monetary compensation. But I know that this is not true, the awakened ones were simply in no hurry to save ordinary people, because only the strong decide whether weak people live or not. I would have done the same in their place if there weren’t people dear to me there, because I’m an egoist.

I was pulled out of my thoughts by the roar of 10 wolves coming around the corner. They were 1 meter high and 2.5 meters long, gray and studded all over with stone spikes. If I remember correctly in the bestiary, they were called stone wolves and they were D-rank danger.

(Bestiary - a site that contains all the information about monsters known today: how they look, the area in which they live, their abilities, their rank and what valuable can be obtained from their bodies. Monsters are divided into 7 ranks: F - even an ordinary person can kill them; E - ten ordinary but strong men can defeat them; D - they can easily crush 100 people into cabbage, because starting from this rank monsters are immune to conventional weapons; C - they can destroy a small defenseless town; B - they can destroy a city with a population of 1,000,000 people; A - can destroy a small country like Portugal on June 7, 2020; S - June 1, 2020 Russia was wiped off the face of the Earth in less than one day)

I decided to run away as soon as I saw them, because for an ordinary person, standing still in front of 10 grotesque wolves the size of me is a direct path to a Darwin award. Suddenly, I felt danger and jumped aside, thanks to which the wolf did not break my spine, but only scratched my left arm. I'll tell you that it was a little more painful than cutting my hand. Then I heard quick footsteps from the other side of the alley and saw an awakened one running towards me. He was in his 20s, had spiky brown hair on top of his head, and was wearing a red T-shirt, orange tank top, black jeans, white sneakers, and sunglasses on his forehead. In him, I recognized a new promising C-rank awakened Eric Miller, who owns fire magic.

(The ranks of the awakened ones are the same as the ranks of the monsters in terms of strength and there should also be 7 of them, but so far only 6, since there are no awakened S ranks yet. Then you ask why humanity is still alive, and all because awakened one’s form groups and it usually takes 10 A ranked awakened ones to defeat an S rank monster. And the rest of the ranks are combined into groups, because most of the monsters also do not go alone. And the awakened one arrived so quickly to the wolves that attacked the protagonist because scientists have developed mana scanners that determine the location and strength of the mana source)

The wolves quickly turned their attention to Eric. At that moment, I thought that he would save me.

Eric: Fire wave.

But when I heard him cast a spell, I realized that he decided to just attack with magic all over the alley and kill me with the wolves.

Erik: Though you are a weakling, you still benefited humanity.

John: Fuck you. AAAAAAHHhhhhh!!!

I felt extremely intense pain from the burning of my body until I passed out and died.

After an unknown amount of time, I woke up in endless darkness, without feeling my body, I realized that I was now a soul and now an administrator in a suit, an old god or an extremely beautiful goddess should come here. So I thought that I had a very good cosplay on Joan of Arc and then spent time counting the seconds.

An hour has passed and after 5000 seconds I lost count and decided to reflect on my past life.

I lived well with my parents, we were not poor and sometimes we went to restaurants. At school I studied well and I was attracted by programming and creation of mechanisms. I even have a revolver I made at home. From a hobby I had firearms of the last century and playing the guitar that lies under the bed. I didn't have many friends, only a couple from school. I didn’t have a girlfriend either, because I wasn’t interested in relationships. Well, that seems to be all.

And finally, after some more time, I saw a shining light.

John: Meet me wonderful new world!

36