Chapter 14 – I’m saving my appetite for the large feast coming!
73 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Every second, Erdem expected something to happen as they moved through the nobles around the platform. His gaze kept going through the crowd as he looked for a pistol to spring up, pointing at him.

“Relax,” Filko whispered. “You look ready to pounce. You’ll scare our hosts.”

Erdem glared at him, then took a deep breath.

“Welcome to Makla, my lord.” Kirel said as she stepped up and bowed to the prince. “The House of Raragel offers our gratitude for your arrival. We hope the emperor will join us presently.”

Erdem stiffened slightly, but his diplomatic training immediately took over.

“Unfortunately, my father is returning to the capital as we speak. I’m afraid an urgent matter came up at the last minute. He asked me to carry on in his place.”

The older woman with gray hair looked undisturbed by the news. Then she grinned.

“Well, I’ll have more time for the handsome heir to the throne.”

Erdem smiled uncomfortably at the familiarity of the woman’s statement.

“Good to see you again, Prince Erdem,” Greac bowed when he arrived. “I hope you won’t mind taking the emperor’s spot to speak before the crowd gathering outside the station.”

The prince nodded, expecting the chore, and followed the short, pudgy man and Kirel toward the entrance. Flanking them were the New Cavaliers, a regiment of the empire’s elite troops, holding their rifled muskets on their shoulders. Decked out in resplendent red and tan coats, black pants and black leather Shako hats, the troops exuded precision and power. In contrast, the House of Raragel guards’ blue uniforms while holding ancient pikes looked like a militia. The guards stood in ragged lines behind the Cavaliers.

“Your guards looked splendid as always,” Erdem told Kirel with a bemused glance at Filko.

The leader of the Raragel’s accepted his words gracefully.

“What we lack in weapons and uniforms, we make up with a tremendous heart. I can’t wait to discuss Nazalath’s ideas for dealing with the anarchists as it relates to our guards.”

“Yes, I’m sure the new arrangements for taxes will allow you more leeway in dealing with these traitors. I took the liberty of looking over the security agreement for Raragel and the empire. It would be a shame for my father to leave the regiment here as part of our security agreement.”

Erdem glanced over, hoping for the woman to betray her surprise at his words. It was his idea to put pressure on the House of Raragel before they formally met. The prince expected to hold the advantage by threatening more imperial involvement. However, she disappointed him.

“You know, I’ve been wondering when someone from the capital might decide to do that. Given recent developments, we should discuss the idea,” Kirel responded with ease. “Of course, with the empire’s financial strength, leaving a regiment here might be useful to train my people.”

The prince held his frown inside and refused to look over at Filko. Instead, he picked up the pace when he saw the platform overlooking the small crowd waiting for his remarks.

~~~

Two days later, three people rode along the barely seen trails in the remote forest of Plarel. The trio rode silently with Grym on one horse while Aprot and Valary rode the other. The horses were an unexpected benefit that came from Aprot’s powerful senses and Grym’s outrageous abilities.

While they walked at night to avoid any unnecessary encounters, Aprot noticed the wood smoke of a recent fire. Expecting the hunters in the camp to be asleep, Grym stayed outside the light of the campfire and bypassed the campsite. However, two men were light sleepers, and they saw the trio. When they brought their muskets to their shoulders, the battle for survival between the two groups started.

Unable to retreat from the threat, Grym instantly struck them down with a wind spell that cut both men in half. The event occurred so quickly that Valary could only recount the affair in fascinated horror.

She watched as Grym placed a hand on Aprot as the men pulled their weapons. When he flicked two fingers at the men to cast his silent spell. After the men fell without a sound, the healer looked over the bodies. To her amazement, his spell severed flesh, bone, and muscle like a giant sword.

“If I knew how to do this before, the empire would never have touched me,” she said aloud.

“You’re wrong,” Grym told her as he stepped closer. “You’d be an even greater threat.”

She looked at him in disbelief.

“Think about it,” he continued. “We came from a different age. Our power helped them maintain control with the use of magic and spells. A view of the world reinforced by the strict control of the priest. But there was always the threat from us to shatter their security. Now, those same nobles who praised you use things like gunpowder and cannon, along with factories, to keep themselves in power with armies allied to their cause.”

Valary nodded as she looked at the blood puddling at her feet.

“Yes, I see your point. That’s the reason they saw the Infinites as a threat,” she agreed. “Use me when it’s useful to their needs, then scare everyone by claiming I’m a threat.”

“You’re learning,” he replied. “It’s fortunate for nobles that so few people have the capability we carry.”

Grym’s masked face gave a foul grin.

“They will learn that was a mistake!”

He nodded to Aprot.

“Think about why your people hunt the Aroks. They fear them more than a ghoul like me. Ghouls are easy to kill. A powerful mage is much harder. A gang of Aroks might destroy an army before the invention of long-range cannons.”

 Grym looked down at the bodies. His eyes narrowed as he sniffed the air and grew agitated.

“But we can discuss a remedy for that later. Remove these corpses, or the flesh will tempt me to eat,” he ordered, then walked away.

“I’m saving my appetite for the large feast coming.”

Aprot immediately went over and grabbed the legs of the half body and pulled it away into the night. Valary watched the ghoul going through the dead hunter’s belongings for a moment. Then, she grabbed the arms of the other half of the dead man and followed Aprot.

After they moved out of the campfire’s lights, a flash of white suddenly brightened the area above them. Aprot dropped her hand after pointing a finger into the sky. Valary asked about her powers and spells.

“I have a few,” the woman shrugged as she continued pulling the half body behind her.

“He teaches me when he can. Otherwise, I’ve learned on my own. No one can teach a slave such things.”

Valary nodded as she followed. The light followed above them as the women went deeper into the forest.

“There’s so much I thought I knew,” Valary suddenly admitted. “But it appears useless now. Why did a ghoul have to open my eyes?”

Aprot stopped and dropped the corpse’s legs.

“Don’t call him a ghoul!” Her livid face suddenly focused on Valary.

“W…why—he calls himself that?” the woman felt the intense hatred directed at her.

“Has he told you his story?” Aprot clutched her hands.

Valary shook her head.

“Not really, only bits and pieces. I know betrayal came to him like me and a goddess uses him as a pet. He kept things to himself when he rode with me.”

“Then you should stay quiet to learn and listen like a slave. Has he eaten a human since you’ve been with him?”

“No, only wild animals that he kills.”

Valary suddenly turned thoughtful.

“That’s right, he claimed madness nearly overcomes him. I remember how frantic he was the other night. Is that why he substitutes the animals?”

Aprot picked up the legs of the half body and slid the body next to a tree. She pointed to the other half of the body that Valary had behind her.

“You know nothing. A ghoul would eat that body. They carry little intelligence beyond their next meal. Grym holds on to his human side despite the goddess. That’s why you should think before you speak.”

The Aroks shook her head as she passed the woman, heading back to the camp.

“Wait, please tell me more.”

Valary quickly rolled the top half of the corpse to leave it near the other half and hurried after the woman.

“Why?” Aprot continued walking.

“Because I don’t understand what his plans are. Yet, he acts like I’m vital to what he wants to do.”

The woman panted as she caught up with the Arok.

“I’ve watched you. You don’t have the right to ask,” Aprot stated.

“What are you talking about? I’ve suffered as much, if not more, than him.” Valary angrily spit out.

Aprot continued her pace.

“Did he not save you from your prison? Yet, you treat him like a monster, not a man. Why should he tell you more? You must earn his trust.”

Valary halted, watching the woman walking away.

“You’re right,” she admitted. “It’s because I’m afraid of him. Who wouldn’t be after seeing what I’ve seen him do?”

Aprot stopped.

“I’ve seen his power and much more. But I’ve never seen him kill for pleasure. Yet, I know stories of your armies and the trophies they bring back from killing Aroks. Think about such things if you’re afraid.”

The slave turned her head slightly as she glanced back at Valary.

“You don’t understand that my master walks on the tip of a blade. Humans would kill him instantly or use him for experiments if they knew his secret. A ghoul who is a powerful mage. It’s incomprehensible to others. I know slaves who’d make deals with the empire to get freedom for turning Grym over to those bastard nobles. And I’d kill anyone who steps in his way.”

Aprot turned to her.

“And it’s not because I’m a slave. He would let me leave anytime I asked. Do you wish to know why I stay with him?”

Valary nodded.

“Grym is the only human I’ve ever met who’s worthy to stand as an Arok. It’s the rest of you who are the monsters.”

1