Chapter 11 – Temporary Accommodations and the Prince’s Danger
14 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Wake up!”

Filko Noos leaned over the bed where Erdem and one of his wife’s lay sleeping. The prince rolled away from the sound.

“Your eminence, the emperor is calling for you,” Filko spoke louder. “Nazalath is waiting!”

This time the words got through and Erdem forced himself to sit up. He looked at the train car, slowly realizing he was not back at the palace.

“Where’s my servant?” He yawned, then recognized Filko. “What does father want?”

“I’m not sure of his orders. However, I have a carriage waiting outside. We must hurry, since the emperor’s train is waiting for you to join him.”

A few minutes later, an upset Erdem got into the carriage while still trying to dress. His mood worsened when he found out Filko wouldn’t help the prince get dressed, despite making Erdem’s servant stay on the train.

As the carriage, escorted by a small contingent of cavalry, sped through the early morning light, the spy master gave Erdem an explanation.

“We had an advance party ahead of your father’s train,” the spy leaned back in his seat. “They reached Makla last night and sent a cable to your father about unrest coming from the local authorities. Spies confirmed several outlawed groups recently joined the Anarchist Conference. I believe Nazalath has plans for you concerning this development.”

Erdem paused, buttoning his shirt, and looked suspiciously across the carriage to Filko.

“Why would bandits who seek money band with anarchists?”

Filko smiled thoughtfully.

“I would think the better way to think of this problem is to assume the anarchists are using money to create problems by using bandits. Viscountess Kirel Feirdmur is at work again.”

Erdem nodded and slipped on his satin jacket. As he finished dressing, the prince thought about the Feirdmur family. They controlled several territories near the empire’s border with Ikarus Signoria. His father complained about the supposed Feirdmur family’s connection to anarchist organizations in the free state. Even the emperor could not easily remove the family since he signed a non-interference treaty with them. Erdem remembered Nazalath told him he avoided a showdown. The emperor believed the conquest of Partarl was more pressing.

Forced to grab a leather strap hanging down from the side of the carriage by the jarring ride, he wondered what his father planned for him.

Father never involves me in such things!

The emperor thought of the prince as heir, but Nazalath kept Erdem from major decisions. Worse, the prince’s council to his father came with ridicule most of the time. After so many years, Erdem finally understood that the emperor considered his son’s advice as suspect as any other person in the court. Nazalath lived on an island surrounded by sharks who wished to destroy him for a chance at the throne.

The carriage arrived at Nazalath’s train, which was protected by several dozen heavily armed guards. Erdem noticed the steam locomotive appeared ready to move on as it emitted dark black smoke from the smokestack. Behind the coal car, the rest of the train comprised the two ostentatious carriages used by the emperor. Armored train cars holding revolving turrets with fast reloading cannon inside protected his cars on the front and back.

“Since when do we need this much protection inside our empire?” Erdem asked.

“This is also a display for our friends, the Dyst family,” Filko chuckled lightly. “Nazalath intends to remind them of their loyalty. You could call it a carrot and stick reminder.”

“I see. Those cannons are the stick, but what’s the carrot?”

“I think your father will answer your question,” the spymaster replied as he opened the carriage door.

Filko held the door and bowed as Erdem stepped down. An officer saluted the prince, then escorted the two men to the train. Moments later, they kneeled in front of Emperor Nazalath, who relaxed on a bright red silk couch while an attendant held a silver platter next to him.

“My son, I’m glad for your prompt attention to my order. Please have a seat.” Nazalath placed the half-filled glass of juice on the silver platter. Then, the man waved over another attendant holding a platter of cheese and dark rye bread.

“I think you’ll find my conversation with you and Filko most rewarding,” the emperor stated. “You see, I’ll be taking your train back to Dismas. You’ll be taking my place in the upcoming meetings.”

Erdem leaned forward in his chair with instant excitement.

“Your eminence, I’m highly honored.”

“Of course you are,” his father leaned back while munching on a sliver of cheese. “It’s time you show me your capabilities. You’ll have Filko to guide you along with my finance minister. Greac has been in Malka for the past few weeks and is close to a trade agreement beneficial to the empire.”

Erdem suddenly hesitated as confusion crossed his face.

“But father, what is the purpose of you coming this far?”

The emperor looked over at the prince, his genial expression now cold.

“You should think before asking stupid questions!”

Nazalath sighed as he took a piece of bread from the attendant.

“Perhaps he’s not suitable. Filko, I thought you had better sense to advise me incorrectly.”

Erdem glanced over at the spymaster, who remained unfazed.

“Perhaps I should give him a bit more guidance,” Filko stated. “Prince Erdem, you remember the phrase from your education that conflict is always based on deceit. Now think about what we discussed earlier. What could that mean for an armed train entering the territory of leaders who know associates paying to create instability among the masses?”

The prince nodded while his mind scrambled for an appropriate answer. Then he realized.

“The carrot is a young prince who is relatively unknown. Put him into a territory with problems. I surmise you plan to use me as a pawn in this game. You intend to flush out the intentions of the last member of the House of Raragel.”

“Perhaps you can follow instructions. Yes, you’re correct in a way. Always remember my first maximum. You should never trust a family ruled by a woman.,” Nazalath stated as he rose. “Yes, you know of my thoughts about Kirel. Unfortunately for her, my spies intercepted communications. She plans to put on a show for me, a demonstration of anarchists threatening the noble families of her land. As one of the last surviving members of the Raragel family, she’ll ask for more money to safeguard the territory. I’m afraid that it’s a step too far, so I’ll put my foot down.”

The man smiled as he picked up his royal scepter from the House of Raragel. Originally intended to show the power of the family who ruled over the Raragel dominion, Nazalath received the staff as one of the spoils of war when the empire overthrew the ruler. After he had the Viscount executed, the emperor used it as a type of walking cane.

“Yes, that ugly Raragel bitch kept herself out of harm’s way by her sheer cunning over the years.” Nazalath looked down at his son. “Marrying the Feirdmur head before my treaty with them was a stroke of genius. In a way, I’ve enjoyed our little political games, but this time, I have her.”

The emperor tapped the scepter twice with a look of satisfaction.

“When she arrives in Dismas with you, I expect to give her family a great treat. Now, I’ll be taking your train back to the capital. After all, the Grand Festival of Hajoon requires my attention, since it marks my twenty years of rule.” Nazalath walked to the door, motioning for his servants to follow.

“Filko, you know what’s needed. Please instruct my young heir on the next steps. Should Erdem do well, I think I will add a title to the prince’s status.”

An hour later, the prince sat with Filko as the train continued its trek to Makla. Erdem found himself torn at his new role. On the one hand, his father finally recognized him for an important mission with a troublesome part of the empire. On the other hand, Nazalath pointedly told Erdem that the prince’s wives would go back with him.

“I think you have more pressing problems,” Filko spoke up as if he read Erdem’s mind.

“I grasped the essentials of my father’s plan, and I’m capable of handling the diplomatic situation.”

The spymaster waited until a servant finished refilling their tea before he replied.

“No doubt you’ll handle those necessary niceties. However, Nazalath was not keen on this idea at first because he felt it showed a certain weakness. And you know how your father regards such things. The fact remains that some event will occur,” Filko picked up his cup. He smelled the aroma with a satisfied expression. “We can expect something violent, so I’ve insisted that half of the king’s guards will remain with us.”

He placed the cup back on the ornate table between the men and leaned back on the down-filled couch.

“This could become a feather in your cap.”

Erdem looked over with narrowed eyes.

“Tell me something. What benefit do you get out of this? I have no doubts that your advice led to my placement on this train.”

Filko’s placid face remained as he watched the prince.

“As a commoner, I can only receive accolades and riches from the emperor. That is sufficient for my family.”

“Yes, that is your diplomatic answer from a man who holds his cards close,” Erdem growled as he picked up the cup. “Still, you don’t strike me as a person who does favors without great thought for your benefit, even if the orders come from my father.”

“It’s refreshing to hear you talk so directly. It should prove useful in the next few days. To answer your presumption, I believe every person carries ambition,” the man replied mysteriously. “As long as such ambitions don’t interfere with the aspirations of those with more power, it makes one’s life bearable in a world of suffering and hate. Don’t you agree?”

“You have a tendency to wax philosophic to avoid answers,” the prince countered. “I grow tired of the run-around. What should I expect when I arrive in Makla?”

Filko smiled at the comment.

“That’s a fair question, but it remains unknown. We suspect that an attack of some type will occur, either with or without the support of the Raragel house. Normally, I’d suspect a simple assassination attempt by Kirel. However, she’s in need of money and people in her house do support of the anarchist movement. The movement wants to make a lot of noise from what I can piece together. Obviously, we can’t put your father in danger. Looking over the schedule put out by Kirel, I can come up with two scenarios.”

Despite his dislike of Filko, the man’s sharp mind impressed the prince.

“What are those?”

“For a group to attack the emperor, tremendous coordination is required. Plus, you need many witnesses to carry your message. I believe the event will occur upon your arrival among the crowds around the train. Or, when you meet with the ministers at the Great Hall.” He took another sip of tea. “My bet is upon the latter.”

“Why is that?” The prince heard himself ask, despite the alarm bells going off in his head.

They could kill me!

1