Chapter 57 – Interrogation
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As it was the start of the weekend, only a few people had been working at the Department of Dungeons. I walked with Millicef through the mostly empty hallways to the staircase that led into the Bottom. Unlike other buildings in the Middle that spanned both sections, there was no entrance from down below. Instead, this area was used as conference rooms, interrogation rooms, and temporary holding cells for those who were ready to be tried for dungeon related crimes.

It felt silly that we had to go all the way to the Middle just to head back down, but I had felt that way for a long time and my feelings were well known on the matter.

I was surprised to see so many people in attendance as we walked into one of the observation rooms on the lowest floor. Chief Inspector Brackenhorst was here, though it looked as though he was called in at the last minute. The ancient Dwarf was in the middle of styling his beard. Under normal circumstances, it was done as a tribute to his family with several braids indicating his children and even more indicating theirs. I expected him to be here.

What I hadn’t been expecting was the presence of Justisius and Liddy, two of the most accomplished Dungeon Inspectors the DoD had. They were almost always out on assignment, training apprentices and getting their work done in a timely and efficient manner. The fact that they had been brought back to headquarters said a lot about how the Department was dealing with this.

“You were right, Liddy. Looks like I lost this bet,” Justisius said, his voice rich and deep. He raised his hand to greet me. The Human was somewhere in his forties with dark skin, kind eyes, and a bald head. It was odd to see him worried; despite his jovial greeting, he was without his usual smile.

Liddy, on the other hand, seemed just fine. The Gnome of unknown age looked to be in her twenties, but that didn’t mean anything. Her slicked back purple hair matched her vibrant eyes, and she exuded smugness as she held out her hand for Justisius to drop coins into. She didn’t bother counting it before depositing them into a satchel on her belt.

“You can always count on Badger to show up if he’s getting paid extrollio,” the Gnome laughed, her voice heavy with a bold accent that seemed to purr when hanging onto the Rs. She waved hello before arching an eyebrow at me. “I heard you’ve been saddled with a junior now. You better watch out, me ferino, or you’ll end up like the two of us.”

I grunted, but waved back to the two of them. “I’m not looking forward to this if they pulled the two of you back in,” I told them honestly. Crossing my arms, I looked towards the wall separating us from the interrogation room where an Elven woman sat. It was made of the same stone as the building, but had been set up with the same kind of magic windows the Mage’s Guild loved so much. This one also transferred audio as well as video, though. “What do we have?”

“Carimella Rose,” Brackenhorst said. “Marched straight into the lobby and started talking nonsense about the Southern Continental Dungeon. She was about to be escorted out when she mentioned CC and the Dungeon Master, names that aren’t known to the public yet. Ms. Rose was escorted down here by Justisius and refused to talk to anyone who wasn’t in the blizzard.”

Giving Millicef a cold glance, I crossed my arms. “I was told that CC sent an emissary. That sounds less like she sent an ambassador and more like she sent a loon.”

Despite my annoyance, I looked back at the woman. She was a Forest Elf like Ferrisdae, though she was more mature. Middle age, if I had to guess. Her tan skin contrasted well with her short, golden hair. Her green eyes twinkled as they watched the wall, as if she was excited for what was about to happen.

The more I observed her, the more I noticed the smaller details. Like the fine dark blue and yellow robes she was wearing. They were obviously of a make that few could afford. The fabric clung to her body and closed from the front with buttons and a silver brooch. It was of such good quality that I doubted anyone up on the Top would look twice except in appreciation.

My eyes met her green ones, and I noticed that she was focused on me. As if she could somehow sense my presence. Frowning, I took a step to the side. Her head followed me. I walked to the other side of the room, and her gaze stayed locked on. “She knows I’m here,” I stated.

“She’s been tracking you since you entered the building,” Justisius offered. “Ms. Rose is a well known and respected mage in Athir, so I wouldn’t doubt she’d be able to find you.”

“Then why not just come to me directly?” I asked with a scowl. “Not that I want to invite trouble upon myself, but Ferrisdae has been staying at the Bottom’s Up, so it should have been easy to find us both.”

“Oh, that’s some new information,” Liddy practically squealed. She reached out to poke me in my side, but I slapped her hand away. “You invited a junior back to your home? Scardasio, me ferino, simply scardasio! What would the department say if they heard about big bad Badger’s melting frozen heart?”

I didn’t dignify that with a response, instead choosing to glare at the Gnomish woman until her grin became an apologetic smile.

“Of course, it would be a tragedy for you if this came out. Worry not about a thing, I won’t make a peep,” she offered, to which I just grunted. Liddy’s eyes glowed for a moment as she looked me over, and her eyebrows flew up. “It is easy to see why she can track you. I have read your report, and it seems as though whatever this Dungeon Master has done to you, it is not subtle.”

“Yeah, about a month too late on that one, Liddy,” I sighed. Waving her away, I turned to Brackenhorst. “So you just want me to talk with her?”

The chief nodded. “That’s right. And to answer your question, we don’t know. Might be something to ask her about.”

“I suppose.” Frowning, I thought it over, and the only thing I could think of is that she wanted to be here instead of there. The problem was why, but there was a clear path to that answer. “I’m going in.”

“Good luck,” Brackenhorst said as I started walking away. “She starts doing anything weird, Liddy will probably bust through this wall to stop her.”

“As if he’s going to trust that,” the Gnome laughed.

“I’ve got my Pocket here,” I said, patting my jacket as I opened the door. “Don’t you worry about me.”

Closing the door behind me, I walked to the interrogation room. I took a moment to compose myself. This was supposed to be the kind of stuff that was above my station, but it was coming for me. It felt like being an adventurer again, getting pulled this way and that all willy-nilly. Removing my Hilt of Holding from my Dimensional Pocket, I stuck it in my pocket and opened the door.

Carimella Rose was standing on the other side, looking down at me with an excited twinkle in her eyes. I blinked, trying not to show my surprise, and put my hands on my hips. “I can’t get in with you standing in the way,” I said evenly.

“I know, I know. I’m just so excited! I wasn’t sure if you were going to make it in time,” she said. Her voice was pleasant and carried the same melodic accent as my junior. The Elf moved out of my way, and I walked inside. “You carry the weight of the Dungeon Master.”

“Unfortunately,” I replied. Without taking my eyes off of her, I walked to the side of the table where the magical window was and pulled out the chair to climb in. There was no indication that we were being watched, but I doubted she wouldn’t know. I began pulling out ink, parchment, and a quill after gesturing towards the other side of the table. “Please sit, and we can begin.”

The Elf walked back to the chair slowly, and I noticed a slight limp. When she sat down, it was done slowly, as if she were injured. Despite that, she smiled at me and leaned forward, placing her chin in her hand as she looked me over. “I’m sure you’ve heard, but I’m Carimella Rose. Charmed to make your acquaintance, Dungeon Inspector…?”

“Badger,” I said. “Now, will you please state for the record why you’re here.”

For the record,” she repeated. “So formal. I like it.”

“Duly noted,” I said without writing anything down.

The twinkle hadn’t left her eyes even with my attitude, and she smiled at me. “I’m here on behalf of my mistress, CC, as I’m sure you’ve heard,” Carimella said. “To speak with someone carrying the influence of her little brother.”

“First, I thank you for not seeking me out at my home,” I said diplomatically. “I still don’t like coming in while on administrative leave, but the alternative would have been much worse.”

“For you or for me?” she asked.

“I’ll let you be the judge of that,” I said, not giving a concrete answer. “What is it that you want to say?”

Carimella hesitated for a moment, and I saw her eyes lose focus. This went on for a few seconds before they snapped back to me. “We have a few minutes, so let me just say. What the Dungeon Master and Himia have done to you? Inspired. Truly. What you are now is so fun to look at.”

I frowned. “You said before that you weren’t sure if I was going to make it in time, and now you’re saying we have a few minutes. What are you waiting for?”

“For a few minutes to pass, Badger,” she said. “But what has been done to you… oh, that’s something special. What did he name your class?”

“I’d really rather focus on what will happen in a few minutes than what the Dungeon Master did to me,” I said, trying to keep my voice even. The fact that she knew about the class change was something, though, and I wrote down a few notes.

“We’ll get there when we get there,” Carimella said with a dismissive wave of her hand. “Think about the here and now. Like your class. Oh, and the classes of the other three who got enhanced. They all seemed like tasty little nuggets.”

“I’m going to assume you don’t mean tasty literally.”

“Of course not, it’s more knowledge that I like. Little tidbits here and there, such as what your class is,” she said, still smiling.

“If I tell you, will you answer my question?” I almost huffed. If it was for the sake of information, I didn’t mind a little give and take.

“I’ll answer a different question, and then when the time comes, I’ll answer that question,” she offered.

“In a few minutes?”

“Less than that, now, but I’m so glad you’ve been paying attention.”

My frown turned to a scowl before I sighed. “I am Badger, Dungeon Inspector,” I said. “And my class has been changed to Dungeon Inspector.”

Carimella blinked. “You’re joking, right?”

“Do I really seem like the kind of person to joke about something like this?” Something about my words must have been funny, because she laughed and leaned back in her chair. Once again she winced in pain. “Are you hurt? I can find a cleric or-“

“No, there’s no need for that. I’m exactly as I should be,” she answered quickly. “That’s funny, though. Dungeon Inspector Badger the Dungeon Inspector. He never was very good with names, and Himia’s even worse.”

“You’ve met them before?” I asked, narrowing my eyes. While it wasn’t impossible, she didn’t look old enough to have been born around the time the Dungeon Master came to this continent. Not only that, but the nation of Athir had closed borders at the time and many of their citizens stayed closed off from the world due to civic issues.

“Not personally, no,” she said. “But I’ve heard a lot about them from my mistress. She just likes to go on and on.”

“You mean CC?”

“Of course, who else is worth following?” Carimella barked a laugh. “One of the Gods? Why bother with them when there’s one that walks among us?”

“Have you been to the Southern Continental Dungeon then?” I asked as I took more notes.

From the mention of Gods, it was almost like she was in a cult. Which, as I thought more about it, may not have been far from the truth. I could imagine what might happen if the Dungeon Master wanted to be seen as some kind of deity, and figured it would be easier than I thought.

“Not I, personally, though I have spoken to her,” Carimella said, her voice taking on a dreamy quality. She swayed back and forth as she continued. “I’m one of her favorites, you should know. My looks, my voice, my raw magical power, my personality. The whole package, really. She absolutely gushes over me.”

“How do you keep in contact?” I asked. “The Southern Continent is a long way from here. We know Sending Stones can’t work over that distance. Is she already here?”

“CC can perform miracles,” the Elf sighed. “She’s not, but it’s a matter of time. I can speak with her because I am powerful enough to do so, and that’s all there is to it.”

“That makes sense. From what I’ve learned, you’re well respected in Athir,” I stated, even though I had only learned that minutes prior. “Why get involved with CC? I imagine someone with such a lofty reputation would be more discerning about something like this.”

Carimella’s smile grew brighter. “Because she’s worth getting involved with,” she stated as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. “She’s powerful, magnanimous, and willing to share with the world. There’s no reason for the Dungeon Master to be afraid. CC wants to reunite with her family, is that so bad?”

“We’re still trying to decide that, though people much higher up on the ladder will be the ones to make those decisions,” I said.

She reached her hand out to me as if offering it, and I only stared. “They don’t matter. Just the Dungeon Master, his secretary, you, and the others do,” she said, not pulling back. “But they will, some day. They will matter once they’ve been given the same gifts you have.”

“Are you aware that one of the others had their wellspring forcibly expanded?” I snapped. “She hasn’t taken it well, and has barely cast magic since the incident. You want that for everyone?”

“Please, CC isn’t like that,” Carimella responded sagely. “She knows better than the Dungeon Master. Because, well, he has issues.”

I narrowed my eyes. This was a new line of questioning that I hadn’t thought of before. If she had information about both sides, then it was up to me to get it out. “What kind of issues are you talking about?”

“Well, for one he’s a man,” she said, and I had to stop myself from snapping again at what I considered a joke. “He doesn’t know how to be gentle with a young maiden like Ferrisdae. Plus, let’s be honest, it was all for Oristrella, anyway. The kid was probably thinking more with his dick than his brain.”

That was more information than we thought she had, and I put my hand on the table. “That’s privileged infor-“

I was cut off as Carimella suddenly stood up and stared off into a corner of the room. “It’s almost here,” she declared.

Reaching into my pocket at her quick motion, I grasped my Hilt of Holding though I didn’t pull it yet. “The thing you’ve been waiting for?”

The Elf grinned down at me, putting her hands on the table as she leaned over. “The thousand year blizzard has finally dispersed, which means it’s time.”

Just as I was about to open my mouth, a chill ran down my spine. I took a breath, and realized that I could taste and smell the stale air to a whole new degree. Colors were more vivid, as well, and I even felt more energized. It was almost as if I were ten years younger in the span of a few seconds, but that couldn’t be it.

It didn’t take me long to come to the conclusion that the storm really had been sucking in most of the ambient magic from the continent, but for it to return so fast? No, it had to be happening in waves, and things were only just settling here instead of rushing towards the blizzard. A part of me wished I knew more about the phenomenon, and I was cursing my lack of knowledge on this.

Carimella raised her hands in the air. Not as though she were casting a spell, but like she was offering something much taller than her an embrace. She looked excited as she said something, though I couldn’t hear her voice. A moment later she collapsed into her chair. I quickly jumped onto the table to check on her when she stood back up, causing me to hesitate.

Carimella looked down at her hands in awe, as if she was seeing them for the first time. Something had changed in her expression that seemed strange to me. Like she was a completely different person. I reached for my Hilt of Holding again as I had another realization.

She was a completely different person.

The Elf threw her arms out again, taking on an expression of excitement that was both familiar and foreign. She looked down at me, a manic grin firmly fixed on her face. “Coming at you live from the Southern Continent, Delphara!” she announced triumphantly. The Elf's melodic accent was replaced by a younger, more brash tone. “In the body of the buxom, beautiful, bodacious Carimella Rose, it’s the one you’ve all been waiting for, Ceeee Ceeeeeee!”

With a determined expression on my face, I pulled out my sword and thumbed the rune. “Ignite,” I ordered, and the blade lit up with magical fire.

CC, in the body of Carimella Rose, started laughing.

0