Prologue – A Warm Dream
138 3 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hidden deep beneath the palace, lay a spiralling staircase of cold stone. Faint footsteps could be heard calmly descending from above, with the faint light emanating off an old lantern flickering in the darkness, gently illuminating the way forward. The smell of a freshly cooked meal wafted through the humid air, bringing a sense of warmth to the atmosphere. A female figure, clad in a well-maintained maids outfit, slowly approached a lone wooden door at the bottom of the stairs. Knocking gently three times, the maid waited a mere few seconds before the door quickly swung open.

"Orna!" A youthful voice filled with happiness permeated the stifling air, before a little boy rushed forward and clung onto the maids skirt. Orna smiled gently before patting the little youths head with her free hand. "I'm glad you seem to be well Luca." As they smiled sincerely at one another, she slightly gestured towards the tray in her hands. "Come, let's have lunch together."

With a nod, Luca reluctantly let go of the woman as she made her way to the small wooden table in the corner of the room and placed down the tray of food. Trailing after the maid like a loyal puppy, the little youths eyes were immediately distracted by the plates of food on the tray. Although by no means delicacies, loving and meticulous care could be seen in every dish. Warmed at the sight, the Luca quickly gave Orna another hug before sitting down for the meal.

"What have you been up to today?" She asked warmly as she watched him digging into his meal enthusiastically, before beginning to eat her own. She would've liked for Luca to have eaten everything she brought down from the kitchen, but he insisted that they ate together, hence a portion of the meal was for herself.

"I've been reading the books you got me from the library." Luca replied excitedly, oblivious to the mess on his face. With a soft chuckle, Orna wiped his mouth with a handkerchief before responding. "Oh? Which one is your favourite?"

Luca visibly pondered slightly before coming up with his answer. "Although Diary of a Doctor is quite fascinating, I think my favourite is that encyclopedia on different herbs that you got for me." He replied slowly with careful consideration, as he begun eating the little vanilla panna cotta on a seperate plate.

"Ah, the Encyclopedia of Herbal Medicine?" She asked with a smile as she watched his chubby little cheeks slowly get covered in the leftovers of his dessert as he nodded. "Slow down, the foods not going anywhere." Orna laughed lightly once more at the innocently endearing sight.

"One day, I'll bring you some of the herbs you can find in there." She offered as they began tidying up the plates back onto the tray, the mood and atmosphere light-hearted and warm despite their bare surroundings.

Luca's face lit up with joy at her words, his excitement and enthusiasm unmistakable. Quickly however, a sense of drowziness seemed to come over him, induced by the comfort of a close ones presence as well as the warm fufilling meal. Not to mention his young age which made him nap often.

Noticing his sleepiness, Orna began quietly preparing his bed for him to rest. "No, I'm not tired!" Luca exclaimed as he saw what she was doing. "Don't pretend with me Luca, come now." She spoke softly, patting his bed to entice him.

Indignantly, the little youth grabbed onto Orna's hand and pleaded. "Don't leave, I'm not sleepy at all!" He rebutted, though his drooping eyelids betrayed him. Understanding why he was pretending, Ornas heart softened as she picked him up and plopped him into his bed before covering him with the blanket.

"Hush now, you'll see me again before you know it." She comforted as she gently stroked his fluffy brown hair. "I'll make your favourite for breakfast tomorrow." She continued to persuade with a smile, as she watched his sleepiness begin to overcome him.

"Goodnight Orna..." He mumbled, finally giving in, as he cradled her warm hand against his head, before his consciousness drifted into dreamland.

"Goodnight little Luca." She whispered affectionately, before stepping away from the bed. She noticed his unconscious smile fade slightly as her warm hand slipped out from his grasp, but there were matters she needed to take care of.

Silently, Orna tidied up the little mess that was left in the room, before closing the door behind her.

1