The Forest Part Two
57 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Rain, Rain, go away, come again some other day!"

"We want to go outside and play, come again some other day!"

The song's melody danced in the air, but each note struck me like a sharp blade. "Stop it," I finally snapped, frustration evident in my voice.

"Oh come on, Curt! Remember when we used to dance in the rain? You loved this song. Sing with me! Rain, Rain, go aw-"

It's not real. It's not real. It's not real.

This had become my mantra after the accident. Something that I repeated to myself. Over and Over and Over. Again and Again and Again. And yet, no matter what, that thing never went away. There it would stand and wait, behind me, in front of me, in my dreams, in my waking hours, anywhere, and everywhere. Always there. Always present. A brutal and constant reminder.

"Thinking I'm just a figment? Ouch, Curt. That stings. I'm right here. Just turn around."

I tried to divert my attention, needing some semblance of grounding. The vast expanse of the field stretched out before me, its edges blurring into the horizon. Raindrops pelted, each one mingling with the tears I fought back, as they both drenched the flowers resting solemnly at the base of a grave.

Her grave.

"Don't drown in sadness, big bro. Smile for me. Remember the good times. Pretty please?"

I shut my eyes closed at that request, a flicker of pain passing through my heart. The callousness of it saying those terrible almost haunting words brought back the memories of that night and the nightmares that followed. Gathering all the strength I had left, I reopened my eyes and inhaled deeply, trying to push away the looming tears. With determined steps, I walked forward, moving right through the apparition.

Of course, she–it was always so persistent.

"Why do you keep pushing me away, Curt? Remember we're a duo. Magical Girl Clai–"

"Stop it. Y-You're not real. Disappear," I muttered, the words barely escaping my lips. With each step, I willed myself to block out its presence, the emotional weight threatening to drag me under.

It's not real.

It wore a mask of hurt, feigning a sulk. "Curtis Eleanore Weaver, after all we've been through, you still deny–"

"Enough!"

Despite my outburst, it persisted, "your own sister's existence? I might be your elder, but words can still hurt."

"STOP IT!"

"Every word you hurl," it continued, unfazed, "cuts deep. I–"

"CLAIRE!" Anguish tore through me as her name, locked away for so long, finally found freedom. My steps faltered, my voice breaking into a hushed plea, "Can't you... just let me go?" I ached for solace, for an end to this torment. But I could never find peace, could I? Not from this.

The tears, once held at bay, spilled from my eyes as the pain swelled within me. A sorrowful cry emerged from my lips, echoing across the solemn gravesite. Feeling the weight of my emotions, my legs buckled beneath me, sending me to my knees upon the wet earth.

The following gasp from her voice felt so authentic, so full of worry, so- "W-wait, I-I'm so sorry Curt, I didn't mean to make you cry," her voice quavered, reflecting an almost genuine concern.

I recoiled as she approached. "Stay back!" I shouted, throwing my arms up defensively. As expected, my hands met no resistance, passing right through her.

Ignoring my plea, she moved closer, kneeling beside me. A spectral embrace enveloped me from behind. It wasn't real, I knew it wasn't real, and yet it felt so warm, so close, almost as if it-

It's not real.

"Curt... I remember those nights when you couldn't sleep. How you'd crawl into my bed, seeking comfort. I'm still here, just like those nights. I'm here… for you," she whispered, her voice thick with emotion, as she tried to draw me into a deeper embrace.

But those words, reminiscent of a time gone by, only intensified my sadness.

"Claire... why won't you just... leave me?" My voice was choked with tears, refusing to meet her gaze, unwilling to see that familiar face which shouldn't be before me.

She released a sigh I had known all too well – one filled with both patience and exasperation. "You know why, Curt. I can't leave you. Not when you're like this."

My emotions swirled within me, a tempest of anger, confusion, and overwhelming grief. "Why!?" The word was a raw plea, an explosion of all the feelings I'd been holding back.

Instead of an answer, a heavy silence lingered. For a time that felt stretched and endless, she held back, as if weighing the gravity of her words.

"Curt, I... I died that day," she started, her voice steady but heavy. She leaned in, her whispered words almost a ghostly caress, "and you were there with me. Every day, every night, it's something you can't escape, can you?"

My eyes tightened, trying to hide from the truth ward off the encroaching memory, "N-no it wasn't anyone's fault, it was tragic, yes, but I never—

Cutting me off gently, she said, "Tragic? Is that how you console yourself? No matter how you spin it, if not for you, I would still be here, alive, breathing, laughing. Instead, I'm a mere shadow, a mere figment of your little conscience."

It's not real.

My heart raced, struggling to process her piercing words. "Sis, I-I didn't want it to happen. I didn't want any of this to happen. N-Not like this..."

"Yet it did, Curt! Regardless of what you wanted or didn't, I'm gone. Because you were careless." She paused her voice dripping with a sardonic tone. "I gave everything for you, Curt. Every moment, every sacrifice, every piece of my soul, all for my little brother who seems so lost without his big sister. But for all I gave, you just consumed. It was always about you, always your needs, your mistakes. I was there, shielding you, protecting you, time after time. But the one time it mattered most... I paid the ultimate price. Why? Because you needed saving. And as always, I was there."

I kneeled there, paralyzed by the deafening silence that followed, her words rooted themselves deep within my soul. A chilling realization of the undeniable truth she spoke, a truth I've been running from, brought an uncontrollable tremor to my voice, "I...I'm sorry."

It's not real.

Her voice dripped with a cold, detached melancholy. "Sorry? Curt, you don't truly understand what it means to be sorry... not yet. But in time, you will." She leaned in, her breath cold against my ear, "You will understand, won't you, for me?"

The cascade of tears refused to stop. It was as if her words unlocked a floodgate of repressed emotions. I nodded slowly, overcome.

It's not real.

"Shhh," she whispered, but there was no warmth, only an icy undertone. "This isn't vengeance, Curt. This is my love in its purest form. Even when gone, I find myself drawn to guide you, to teach you, to ensure you confront every mistake, every guilt… laden… memory…" Her fingers danced through my hair, a deceptive caress belying her chilling words.

She continued to speak, making promises. With each word, the details grew more vivid, the intensity greater, but these punishments fit the crime.

She paused, her voice dropping to a haunting whisper, "Time is fleeting, dear brother. And though every moment away from you torments me greatly, I must go, for now. You have a new life, with new bonds, with a new family. It'd be a shame if they saw the depths of your despair, wouldn't it?"

Words eluded me. As the tears continued their path, a suffocating darkness tightened its grip around my heart.

Claire's ethereal touch brushed my cheek, her words a haunting lullaby: "Until we meet again, Curt. Always remember, I'm never truly gone. After all, I'm a magical girl and I always have to protect… my little brother~."

She smiled as she finished, but it wasn't the one from my carefree childhood memories. It was twisted, a bitter replica of something once sweet, yet now corrupted. A reminder of all I had lost. The strength of her ethereal embrace intensified, a weight bearing down on me with a promise of lingering pain, before she began to dissipate into the rain-swept atmosphere.

It's not real. It's not real. It's not real. It's not real...

This mantra circled my thoughts, a desperate attempt to push back against the onslaught of emotions. In my mind, I knew that she–it wasn't real, just a figment of my imagination. Probably delusions brought about by my grief and sadness. Or hallucinations caused by my mental tiredness and physical exhaustion.

It's not real. It's not real. It's not real. It's not real...

And yet…

It's not real. It's not real. It's not real…

In my heart…

It's not real. It's not real…

I knew…

It's not-

"What I said is still true, isn't it, Curt?"


PING!

Minor Skill Unlocked

For resting for a period greater than eight hours, a new skill has been unlocked.

[Long Rest (Passive) Lvl: MAX]

Allows the Gamer to regain their full maximum health upon sleeping for more than eight hours. Cannot be leveled up beyond its current level.

I awoke to the quiet.

Not the silence, that unnatural period where everything seems to stop and nothing ever truly exist.

No… the quiet.

That gentle hush between the busy moments of an ordinary day. That gentle hush that could only be experienced by living things that were alive and breathing. That gentle hush that allowed people to think and question and understand and just do whatever people who were alive did.

And I was one of those people.

Me, Curt Weaver.

Grasping that simple fact sent a rush of emotions through me—elation, sorrow, rage, fear, and a dozen others. After being in that silence for so so long, you realize how much you don't feel of anything. How much you take for granted in the daily experience of your emotions. And after being chased by dark murder beasts across a forest you realize how much you have to tuck away, all in the name of survival.

Yet, here I was, I could feel and I couldn't suppress my emotions any longer. I was alive.

Curt Weaver, of all people, had found a way to keep going even if it only meant another day of living. But another day was still another precious fucking day.

"Ha…Haha…Hahaha…HAHAHA!" Everything cascaded out. The laughter, the tears, the uninhibited joy, and profound sorrow. A deluge of all I had been through, and all I still hoped for. It might've been careless, with the Grimm potentially sensing every emotional shift, but in that moment, it didn't matter. This was raw, genuine human emotion.

Because I was vibrantly, undeniably ALIVE.

And I planned on staying that way.

So I cried and cried, as my tears began to flow, overwhelming me in their intensity.

Moments melded into minutes, perhaps even an hour. Time felt like a blur. But eventually, I could finally cry no longer, and I collected myself.

Dismissing the floating screen in front of me, I caught sight of my arms. The jolt of surprise was undeniable. Where there had once been gruesome wounds and hanging threads of torn skin, now only smooth, tan skin remained—untouched, unblemished. The newfound power of my skill had worked wonders; healing overnight was a comforting ability. If I reached safety, I, at least, wouldn't be bleeding to death anytime soon.

Relaxing my arms, I took in a deep breath, before proceeding to climb down the tree, much easier, now that I'm not on the brink. As I took my first step onto the grass below, a familiar creature hopped out from the surrounding greenery—a rabbit. A small thing with white fur.

Its inky eyes locked onto mine. Recognition hit me, and a small smile graced my face. "Look who's back," I mused. "Leaving me to fend off an ALPHA Beowolf, of all things, all by my lonesome? That's cold, pal. Ice cold." I crouched down, keeping my movements slow, deliberate. The rabbit watched, its eyes tracking my every move.

"But hey, I'm the forgiving type," I continued, extending a hand out. "So, you wanna finally join me on this little trek? Like I said last time, Two heads—or, well, a head and some fluffy ears—are better than one."

The rabbit seemed to contemplate the offer, its nose twitching. It took another step closer. "It's a great deal, right? You do all the heavy lifting, and I just tag along?"

Hesitation lingered for a heartbeat, but then the rabbit leaned into my hand, allowing me to stroke its soft ears. It sidled up closer, settling into a relaxed stance. For a time, we just sat there, two unlikely companions, finding solace in each other's presence.

For a brief moment, I felt one with the universe—a zen-like serenity, an unparalleled harmony. In simpler terms, I was ridiculously at peace.

The rabbit's presence was almost mystical, a beacon of pure bli-

PING!

Goddamn it!

I flinched. I FUCKING FLINCHED! Every fiber of my being jolted. The tranquility? Gone. The calm? Shattered. The rabbit? Well, it had bolted, likely thinking it just narrowly escaped a predator, and all thanks to that inane game notification.

Gritting my teeth, I reluctantly turned my gaze to the hovering screen, hoping—no, expecting some profound revelation.

Title Gained:

The Bunny Whisperer

For successfully charming the lonely bunny-rabbit of the forest you've been gifted with the title, The Bunny Whisperer.

BENEFITS:

+1 to Dexterity when a Rabbit attempts to Flee from You

Internally I sighed. Someone, somewhere in the vast cosmos of game development, was likely chuckling over this. Probably laughing their ass off so hard they were gasping for air. To that developer, wherever you are…

"Fuck You!" I yelled as I dismissed the notification, taking a deep breath to calm my sudden burst of annoyance. I mentally rolled my eyes; this game was definitely vying for the 'Most Irritating Program of the Year' award. Pushing aside my momentary exasperation, I refocused. Staying alive, that was the goal.

I cast a glance in the direction the rabbit had dashed off. For a short fleeting moment, I wished I had its speed. But time was of the essence, and I turned to continue my journey. The forest seemed to close in, its ever-present green mocking my every step. Every twig snap, rustling leaf, and distant caw of a bird heightened my senses. The Grimm could be anywhere, their predatory instincts dwarfing my human vulnerabilities. The mere thought sent shivers down my spine.

The day's journey was draining, both physically and mentally. Each step forward seemed to only reveal more trees, more grass, and an endless sea of green. Was there even an end to this maze of foliage? As the sun began its descent, casting eerie shadows among the trees, doubt clouded my mind. What if I can't find a way out? What if I'm nowhere even close to the finish? What if I run into a Grimm again? How much more pain can I go through? What if there is more than one Grimm? What if I can't run away? What if there is no escape?

What if I die again?

That question. The most important question lay within my mind constantly. I was happy to be alive but it all felt like a cruel joke, when it could be taken away from me so easily, by a video game of all things. It made me honestly wonder how Remnant's people were able to survive for any duration with these monsters. But if I wanted to live, I too, would have to find a way. And at least I've made it through one day.

It was with that thought that the ambiance of the forest, that ominous sound helping to hide the Grimm within, was broken by a bone-chilling scream, jolting me back to the immediate present.

And, of course, it was complemented by a singular, quick, high-pitched sound. A-

PING!

QUEST UNLOCKED

Quest #2:

Playing the Hero

While lost in the Forest you hear the sound of screaming. Someone is crying out for help. Who might be making all of that racket? Why it's the Red Reaper herself, Ruby Rose, and her mother is there with her too. You are the epitome of weakness a human being can possibly achieve, but despite that, can you save them?

OBJECTIVE:

Save Ruby Rose

BONUS OBJECTIVES:

Save Summer Rose

? ? ?

REWARDS:

800 Experience

? ? ?

Game Doesn't Get Significantly Harder

BONUS REWARDS:

? ? ?

Another quest…

Another quest.

I could feel the full pressure of this quest upon me as the window appeared once again. Reading it brought even more pressure. This… this was different. Before I was only responsible for saving my own life. If I died in this god-forasken forest, that was on me, and no one else would get hurt. But this, this was something else.

I-I had to save Ruby Rose.

Her life hung in the balance. Ruby, the heart and soul of the show, and here I was, an unremarkable human, a random nobody. She alone was probably way stronger than I was, yet they called Curt Weaver to come to save the day.

A pang of fear threatened to chain my feet to the ground. All logic screamed at me that venturing towards that cry would only bring pain, danger, and quite possibly, death. Yet, it wasn't just my life anymore, now I had the fate of another, a literal character from the show, tied to my every move.

But then, cutting through my hesitations and fears, I heard that scream again. A heart-wrenching cry for help. It reverberated in my ears, echoing with raw desperation.

Please, save me.

Every instinctual drive, every primitive emotion compelled me forward. For as much as I wanted to cling to life, I couldn't turn my back on that primal plea. It was a universal cry—one we all recognized.

The desire to live.

Deep down, wasn't that what made us all truly human? A shared yearning, a bond that tied us all?

With newfound determination, I ran, each step heavy with the weight of the potential consequences. As I sprinted, doubt nipped at my heels. Why was I even doing this? For a character I'd only seen on screen? For someone who shouldn't even be real? But a defiant voice, one I've long since buried, almost sweetly retorted-

C'mon little bro! You know the right choices are often the hardest and... definitely the best~. Plus, after everything I taught you, you still shouldn't be st-

Shut it.

I shook my head, swiftly pushing aside and pressing down that voice, locking it away once again, as the cry amplified, growing more raw and urgent. Despite the whirlwind of emotions, one thing became undeniably clear: I couldn't ignore that plea.

I couldn't ignore… her.

I couldn't ignore…

Her cry.


Carnage.

That's the only word seared into my mind.

The Grimm were nowhere in sight, but their grotesque handiwork remained. Bodies strewn haphazardly, a grisly depiction of life brutally ended. Every pool of blood, every mark of their claws, and the sickening stench of death screamed their presence.

And there I stood, an unwelcome witness to the aftermath.

Breaking through the tree line, I had steeled myself for the face of death, but not this sheer magnitude. Everywhere I looked, men lay disfigured, armor torn asunder, weapons rendered useless. Every gash, bite, and slash told a tale of their desperate, failed struggle.

What chance did I, an untrained and unarmored bystander, stand against such nightmares?

As the weight of the scene threatened to bring up my last meal, I took a deep, shaky breath, forcing the bile back down. Desperately, I searched for a sign, any hint among the dead. My gaze snapped to a familiar white-hooded cloak, draped silently over a tree.

It could only belong to one person.

Summer Rose

'The Silver-Eyed Commoner'

HP:15/800

Level: 2

The moment I saw the text beneath Summer's name, a cold shock ran through me. This couldn't be right. In the show, Summer was a force to be reckoned with— a huntress, a warrior, the embodiment of strength. How could this be her reality?

Yet the glaring health points were evidence of her vulnerability. Ignoring the stench of death, I darted towards the white cloak, praying I wasn't too late.

When she came into view, the severity of her injuries was staggering. She was a canvas of agony— every inch of her painted with blood, littered with cuts and bruises. It looked as if the darkness of the forest itself had tried to consume her. Despite her grievous state, her eyes were locked on something deep within the woods, a determined glint still evident.

My heart wrenched in my chest.

Christ! W-What am I even doing here? This is- there's nothing I can do.

Yet, kneeling beside her, I stammered out, "Miss... are you... I mean, can I..." My words felt pathetic against the backdrop of her suffering.

But her eyes responded and moved toward me, her body remaining deadly still. A desperate look crossed her face at the sight of me. She slowly forced a short breath full of struggle, as she almost whisperingly spoke, "M-My daughter... Please, you have to... save her." Tears welled in her eyes, each one an indication of her pain and her love. She took another struggling breath, "S-she's going to-"

Another piercing scream rang throughout the clearing, drawing my attention to the forest's depths. Summer's weak grip on my arm snapped me back. "Take her... to the village... south," she rasped, each word laboring.

As she continued to bleed, I searched my brain for anything I could do but there was nothing. I wasn't a doctor nor did I have any first-aid experience. I didn't know how to address her injuries at all. Nor any idea on what possible steps to even take to save her. All I could do was nod my head at her words.

She tightened her grip, tears flowing freely. "P-Promise me….s-save her…please…"

Don't do it! Don't say it!

Turmoil rolled within me as I stared into the eyes of Summer Rose. This was the woman, the valiant mother of Ruby Rose. Here she was, fragile and near her end, relying on a stranger, me, to save what she most treasured. She wore no armor nor held a weapon. But she bore something more powerful: the love and desperation of a mother. Every bruise and gash on her body told stories of her desperate attempt to protect the girl, her daughter, Ruby.

You can't! You know you can't!

Each of my internal protests screamed louder than the last. I was no hero; no semblance of a warrior. Every fiber of my being wanted to run from this responsibility, from the very real possibility of failing this dying mother's last wish. The odds were not in my favor; I had already faced death once. Why would this be any different? Another failure in the endless series of failures of my life.

Yet as that agonizing scream continued to pierce the air from the forest, a realization washed over me. It really wasn't about the odds, wasn't it? It was about this woman, bloodied and broken, entrusting her world, her daughter, to someone she did not know. Her silver eyes, clouded with pain but burning with maternal desperation, drilled into mine.

Don't tell her lies!

Summer's unwavering gaze seemed to pull something out from within me. Something I hadn't known existed. There was a fire, a surge of protectiveness. Maybe it wasn't about being the strongest or the most capable; maybe it was about just trying with everything you had, regardless of the odds.

Even if the silence would still return in the end.

I took a deep breath as my decision became clear. Every ounce of fear, every twinge of terror, every thread of doubt—they all clamored for attention and attempted to dominate me. But with sheer force of will, I packed them away, locked them in a secluded corner of my mind, and tossed away the key.

I'm a liar anyways.

Summer's weakened but insistent grip on my arm yanked me from my thoughts. It was a touch filled with fading strength, mingled with desperation—a mother's plea without words. My resolve crystallized. "Summer Rose, y-you don't know who I am nor I you, but I promise you…," I said, my voice steadier than I felt, "I promise you, your daughter will not die today. I will bring her to safety."

The silence that followed felt profound, broken only by the distant echoes of the forest's dangers. For the first time since being thrust into this alien world, a singular, unyielding purpose consumed me. Gone was the grasp of indecision and hesitation that had once controlled me, replaced now by a newfound calm, focus, and… determination.

PING!

Major Skill Unlocked

Through achieving unparalleled focus and setting a clear objective, a new skill has been created.

[Determination (Active) Lvl: 1]

When activated, allows the Gamer to suppress all emotions, enhancing focus and enabling logical thinking. Beware! If kept active for extended periods, suppressed emotions will surge back with doubled intensity once the skill deactivates or expires. This backlash diminishes as the skill level increases.

PING!

[Determination] has been Activated

In an instant, the overwhelming tide of emotions receded, replaced by pure, undiluted determination. The doubts and fears that had plagued me vanished, leaving only an unyielding resolve.

Ruby Rose would be saved, no matter the cost.

Summer's features, marred by pain and blood, momentarily contorted with confusion. Had she not expected me to know her name? Yes, actually, but despite it, her eyes softened. "Thank… you," she whispered, her lids lowering in exhaustion or perhaps relief.

Even still, I didn't have the luxury to linger. The urgency of another scream pulled me forward. I strode past the reminders of chaos: lifeless bodies, pools of crimson, the pungent stench of death suffusing the air. Every step was deliberate, purposeful.

My eye caught a glint of metal amidst the underbrush. A weapon— a pistol, painted in hues of black and brown. An emblem, two crossed axes behind a laurel wreath, adorned its surface. With a swift decisiveness, unbecoming of me, I seized the firearm, letting its weight add to my newfound determination, and continued my relentless advance.

PING!

Item Gained!

Valean Royal Energy Pistol

A compact firearm with significant firepower, standard issue for the elite Royal Guard of the Kingdom of Vale.

As I pressed deeper into the forest, the guttural growls and fearsome howls intensified. Yet, my focus zeroed in on a singular, desperate cry. It grew louder until I stumbled upon its source.

Beowolves congregated menacingly, their collective anger and hatred centered on one target.

A young girl.

Her.

Ruby Rose

'The Girl with Silver Eyes'

HP: 350/350

AP: 5/200

Level: 1

Even from a distance, I recognized her. However, she was considerably younger than her portrayal in the show—around ten years old. Gone was any weapon, leaving her unarmed and vulnerable. Fear painted her face. Her signature red hooded cloak was unmistakably hers, but now it bore the stains of fresh blood.

She lay prostrate on the ground, defenseless as a hulking Beowolf loomed over her. Its massive paw descended, only to be momentarily halted by a flash of red light. Yet, the subsequent cracking sound suggested Ruby's defense was breaking, leaving her more vulnerable than ever.

Without a second thought, I took aim with the weapon in my hand and fired. The recoil was unexpected, jarring my aim and pulling me momentarily from my intense focus. To my horror, the blast had missed, striking a nearby tree instead.

The Beowolf snapped its attention to me, its injured eye glaring. A whirlwind of emotions surged within me, only to be suppressed by my newfound skill. But as the beast's gaze met mine, its confusion transitioned to recognition, and then to a fiery rage even more intense than before.

Alpha Beowolf

HP: 3950/4000

Level: 7

The Alpha, turning from Ruby, approached me, each deliberate step echoing its simmering wrath. Its intense gaze remained locked on mine, but as its focus shifted, another Beowolf seized the opportunity to strike at Ruby. Adjusting swiftly for the weapon's recoil, I fired, landing a solid blow that sent the creature hurtling back.

However, their numbers were daunting.

Determined to divert their attention, I finally yelled, "Hey you overgrown murder-beast! If you want a human, why not get you one, right HERE!" Gun blazing, I indiscriminately fired into the throng. Each recoil felt like a punch, but it was effective: a horde of seething Grimm now turned their attention solely to me. A weak unassuming human being.

With a roar that echoed throughout the forest, the Alpha launched itself toward me, its intent deadly clear in its wild, glowing red eyes. It envisioned me in tatters, a trophy of its conquest. Almost instinctively, I sprinted further into the forest, a cacophony of Grimm footsteps and snarls echoing close behind. Protecting Ruby was my single driving force, though an actual plan? Yeah, I didn't have that.

Suddenly, like a shadow consuming the light, the massive weight of the Alpha toppled me. I felt the cold, rough ground against my cheek, and before I could react, its vicious claws raked across my face, slicing through my skin and drawing warm blood.

PING!

-200 HP

But through the pure suffering of it all, my resolve didn't waver.

In a swift motion, driven by adrenaline, I retrieved the pistol I'd dropped. As the beast lunged for a fatal bite, its maw dripping with anticipation, I fired point-blank. Agony surged up my arm from the recoil, but the Alpha howled, clutching its wounded face, granting me a brief moment. Using every ounce of strength, I picked myself up and fled, albeit at a slowed pace, but the other Grimm were not too far behind, and they weren't stopping.

Desperation clawed at me, I really needed a plan, a strategy to survive this relentless pursuit. And as I darted forward the once purely green forest began to transition to a more… green-brown. The more I kept running the more that transition continued until I entered a small clearing with a giant rock in the center of it all. I slowed down as I entered the clearing, the realization setting in. A memory from not too long ago entered my mind.

Welcome Gamer to RWBY the RPG!

This very spot marked the dawn of my relife, my rebirth into a world woven with pain, fatigue, desperation, and a constant need to survive. As I paused by the massive rock, a plan finally struck me. It was a desperate, stupid, dumb kind of plan. But a plan was a plan, and right then and there, it was all that I had.

I turned away from the rock toward its location. A location that would hopefully give me my ticket out of here.

The cliff.

The roaring growls and snarls of the Grimm were an ever-nearing storm. Yet, pushing through my dread, I sprinted toward the cliff, a melancholic weight pressing down on my chest, only to be quickly stifled by my determination.

Ironically, despite all my struggles and how far I've come, I have ended up right back to this spot, coming full circle. Even after battling loneliness and despair forcibly using my sheer will to keep going, the dense forest held me as captive as it did from the very start.

That truth was a bitter pill to swallow.


Gazing over the cliff's edge, the vastness of the drop beneath consumed me. A single misstep would send me into a painful fall. It was a feeling I was all too familiar with, and definitely not eager to revisit.

Taking a deep, steadying breath, my determination resonated stronger. This was it, if I failed here, death would come for me, and it wouldn't be quick. I had to make this work.

I was broken out of my thoughts as I heard the cacophony of growls, snarls, and rage-filled howls, the marque relentlessness of the Grimm. They rushed toward me, drawn to my resoluteness. Drawn to my readiness. Drawn to my purpose. The Grimm were drawn, always drawn, to its eternal rival, Humanity.

Bracing myself, I saw them emerge, an onslaught of shadows and fury, every bit of their beings consumed by a singular purpose: to destroy. But within their mindless rage, there was chaos, a lack of coordination. That would be their downfall… hopefully.

In that split-second of realization and with all my strength, all of my willpower, all of my determination, I jumped to the side. Their uncontrolled momentum carried most of them over the edge, their frustrated howls spiraling down with them. However, a stray claw slashed my leg, disarming me and sending a shot of pain as I slid precariously towards the abyss. Panic gnawed at my resolve. Grasping desperately, my fingers found footing on the cliff's edge.

PING!

-45 HP

Though the horde plummeted toward their doom, two nimble Beowolves recovered mid-stride and set their sights on me. As one lunged, I snatched up the fallen gun, with my free hand, and fired, the force of the blast hurling it against a tree trunk with a resounding thud.

Yet, before I could react, the second Beowolf lunged, sinking its gnarled teeth deep into my shoulder, hoisting me off the edge but in its torturous grip.

PING!

-50 HP

A scream of pain ripped from my throat, but defiance coursed through me. I managed to pivot my weapon toward the beast's vulnerable throat and pulled the trigger repeatedly. It released me, but not without tearing away a grisly part from my shoulder. I was a mosaic of pain: a ghastly claw mark scarred my face, the raw insides of my shoulder were now cruelly exposed to the air, and my leg bore a deep, bleeding gash. But my spirit?

Unyielding!

Another growl reminded me of the first Beowolf. As it lunged, I dodged and fired in succession, each blast propelling it closer to the cliff's edge. Using all my remaining strength, coupled with the momentum from my shots, I charged and shoved the creature, sending it spiraling down the abyss with a fading howl.

Yet victory was short-lived. Behind me, the snarl of the second Beowolf echoed. Before I could act, a deeper, more sinister growl overshadowed its sound. From the dense treeline, the menacing silhouette of the Alpha emerged, its red eyes locking onto me. For a heart-stopping moment, time seemed to slow. The Alpha lunged with such ferocity that it collided with the second Beowolf, sending it sprawling aside, its focus unwavering from its true target: me.

My gun went off, but the Alpha, a creature of pure unrelenting force, pushed through the blast. Its massive paw encased me, pulling me close. As it did, I swear I could see a chilling semblance of a smile on its face. As if it was actually glad to finally have me.

My arms were immobilized as it held me, making me unable to use my weapon. This… this was truly it, wasn't it?

I locked eyes with the Alpha Beowolf, the force of my determination clashing with its raw malevolence. This creature, an embodiment of relentless aggression, paused for just a fraction of a second. Maybe it saw in me a rival will, a spark of resistance that hadn't been there before. But that moment was short-lived as it snarled, lowering its head, aiming to deliver the fatal bite.

I shut my eyes, preparing for the inevitable.

This is it, Curt. The silence is about to welcome you again.

But, the silence did not come. Instead, there was a screeching of growls and an eruption of clashing claws. I felt the pressure release from me and opened my eyes in shock. The regular Beowolf, driven by its own insatiable desire to be the one to take me down, had charged at the Alpha, knocking into its side. Rather than aiding me, this Beowolf had acted out of jealous rage, wanting the kill, me, for itself.

The Alpha, caught off-guard and feeling its authority threatened, responded with a roar that echoed through the trees. Its attention was diverted from me to this rogue beast that dared challenge it.

Wow, a hierarchy amongst the Grimm. Who would've thought?

I mused for a brief second, and then quickly snapped back to reality.

Ok, it's time to go, Curt.

Scrambling to my feet, I shot into the forest, the ground seeming to blur beneath me. As I ran, the defiant yelp of the regular Beowolf reached my ears, followed by the Alpha's roar of dominance. The distraction wouldn't last long, but it was the window I needed.

But even windows close.

With an earth-shattering thud, I was tackled from behind. The Alpha, having reasserted its dominance and refocused its rage, was on me once more. This time, it wasn't about its instincts or even about killing for sport—it was personal. The beast raised its clawed hands, preparing to unleash its fury on me.

PING!

-25 HP

Each slash landed with a force that echoed through my frame.

PING!

-25 HP

The weight of its punches hammered into my back, feeling like the weight of my promise pressing down on me.

PING!

-25 HP

I could sense the internal agony; bones creaking, threatening to snap under the sheer might of the Alpha. The forest around seemed to blur, its colors merging as if mourning my impending demise.

PING!

-25 HP

A haze began to form over my thoughts, threatening to cloud my very essence.

PING!

-50 HP

And yet… through it all, a memory resurfaced. Summer's desperate silver eyes looking at me, the promise I had uttered. The vow I had made to her, "I promise you, your daughter will not die today. I will bring her to safety."

PING!

-50 HP

The whisper of the wind through the leaves seemed to echo that promise back to me. My resolve crystallized once more, burning brighter amidst the looming darkness. Something deep inside me—a force, a spirit, an unknown strength—stirred.

PING!

!Warning Critical State Reached!

The world seemed to slow, each millisecond stretching. The Alpha's fist, massive and threatening, loomed, preparing to deliver the final blow.

And in that prolonged moment of impending doom, with memories, promises, willpower, and determination, all colliding...

It… happened.

PING!

For it is in pain and suffering that we find our strength. Through this, we become reforged, evolving into something more, something transcendent. Believing in your potential and amazed by your resolve, we release your soul, and by our spirit guide thee.

Through facing an immense amount of trauma in such a short period of time, a new feature has been made available to you.

AURA has been Unlocked

Energy coursed through my veins, forming a luminescent shield around me just in time to deflect the Alpha's furious strike. It felt like the very essence of my determination, my unwavering resolve, my AURA was materializing before me. Gripping my gun with newfound vigor, I faced the looming beast. The Alpha, for the first time, looked taken aback, its predatory eyes widened in disbelief at the force standing before it.

PING!

Major Skill Unlocked

Through the awakening of your Aura, a new skill has been created.

[Aura Shot (Active) Lvl: 1]

Allows the Gamer to sacrifice 100% of their Aura points to infuse their ranged weapon with a one-time immensely powerful shot. The sacrificed amount is reduced as the skill level increases.

PING!

[Aura Shot] has been Activated

I felt the delicate balance of my aura shatter, its essence rushing into my energy pistol which hummed and glowed a deep azure. I squared off against the Alpha Beowolf, a smirk, for the first time, pulling at my lips.

"You weren't expecting this, were you?" I laughed, a great glee flowing through me. "Well, just for the record… I wasn't either."

The creature's howl pierced the air, its fury evident, as it lunged for me once more. Holding my ground, confidence unwavering, I released the charged shot directly into its skull. The protective bone mask fractured upon impact, and the sheer force catapulted the beast high, its cries growing fainter as it disappeared into the sky.

For the first time in my relife, a weight lifted from my shoulders. A profound sense of relief.

Whether by sheer luck or the unseen hand of those game devs, I had faced the Grimm and emerged victorious once again. With deep, steadying breaths, I tried to ground myself, marveling at the lingering sensation in my palms, the raw power now subsided, leaving behind only vulnerability.

Reorienting myself, the gravity of my mission pressed on my mind. I slowly rose, fatigue pulling at every muscle, driven forward by the thought of the young girl who was depending on me, who needed me.

Every step felt like an eternity, the sting of my wounds reminding me of the harrowing distance I had covered from the site of our clash. The clearing soon appeared before me, an eerie silent theater still echoing with the dance of death from the Grimm.

Dread gripped me, a chilling sensation that settled deep in my gut. Every worst-case scenario played in rapid succession in my mind until a familiar cry pierced the air, leading me towards the last place I wanted her to be - her mother's side.

Pushing through my pain, I stumbled in that direction, every footfall echoing the mix of hope and heartbreak, as I braced myself for the scene I was about to witness.


In the heart of the clearing stood the old tree, its branches stretched out, offering shadowed solace. Beneath it, a young girl named Ruby Rose knelt, her body quaking from the sobs that wracked her frame. The same tree where her mother, Summer Rose, had been seated just moments ago, was now completely vacant.

Ruby's anguished cries echoed, "M-mom! M-mommy!" Each plea tore through the silent woods, each unanswered call a tribute to the depth of her pain.

I hesitated at the edge of the clearing, the sheer weight of the moment pressing down on me. Beyond the physical pain I bore from my recent battle, an empathetic ache resonated with Ruby's cries. I felt an overwhelming urge to comfort her, but the trepidation of making things worse kept me rooted.

Taking a deep breath, I decided to inch closer, stepping softly on the fallen leaves, trying not to startle her. As I drew near, she caught sight of me, her teary silver eyes widening in alarm as they darted over my bloodied and battered form.

"Who... who are you?" Her voice was a fragile whisper, laced with fear.

With hesitation on what to do, I did the only thing I could really think of. Mustering as gentle a tone as I could, I responded, "My name is Curt Weaver. I-I'm a friend of your mom's," I paused, taking another breath, "She asked me… to come to get you… to save you from the Grimm."

Her eyes searched mine, a whirlwind of emotions dancing within: hope, confusion, dread. "You were the one," she said slowly, piecing things together, "You distracted the Grimm... led them away?"

I nodded, a simple affirmation.

She hesitated, visibly struggling with her words. "Thank you, but... my mom? Where is she? I-I need to know."

The weight of that question hung heavily in the air, and unfortunately, I had no idea. My voice faltered, "I-I'm sorry. She was right here, but now s-she's gone. I don't know where she went."

Ruby's gaze drifted back to the lonely spot by the tree, her tears flowing freely again. Time seemed to slow as she processed the reality of the situation. After what felt like an eternity, her voice emerged, determination piercing through her grief, "S-She couldn't have left. She couldn't have gone far. W-We need to find her," She reached for my hand, her grip trembling yet firm, seeking both reassurance and resolve.

In that dimming light, Ruby's silver eyes shimmered with tears. The encroaching dusk painted the world in a melancholic shade, framing her despair. Yet even still, I had to continue, "Listen, your mother, she asked me to ensure your safety. There's a village to the south, Ruby. We need to—"

"NO." Ruby's voice broke a stark command amidst the forest sounds. "I won't leave without her. She's... all I've got." She took a shaky step towards me, her fingers clutching at her cloak. "You drove the Grimm away, didn't you? That means you can help me. Heroes... they save everyone, not just one person." She looked up at me, eyes pleading, but with a hint of steel behind them. "So, please... help me find her."

I internally cringed as she called me that. I was not a hero. I was just some schmuck who finds himself in these situations. I got lucky today. That's the only thing it could be called.

Shaking that thought away, I took a slow deep breath, feeling the weight of her hope and my promise alike, but I still regretted what I would have to say.

"Ruby," I began, my voice softer now, "I wish it were that simple. I truly do. But right now, night is coming, and with it, more dangers. Your mother, she... she wanted you safe above all. Can't you feel that?"

The way her gaze darted away told me she did. But still, she hesitated, torn from deep within. "I... I won't just abandon her," she murmured.

"I understand that," I responded, my own emotions a tumult. "But if she saw you now, trying to brave these dangers for her, she'd want you safe first." I paused, letting the truth of my words sink in, "I made a promise, Ruby. To her and to myself. And I plan to keep it."

Her bottom lip quivered, and she took a step back, her emotions warring visibly. I moved closer, my voice gentle, "Come with me. For now. For her. We can figure things out later… together."

She took in my words, her mind wavering, but even still her decision—her choice was resolute. "I-I can't leave her behind. She's my mom."

"I know, Ruby," I began, voice trembling, trying to find  the right words that might pierce through her sorrow and reach the child within. "But Summer... she would want you safe. That's what mothers do. They want their kids to be safe, even if it means making hard choices."

Her small hands clenched into fists. "She promised she'd always be here! She wouldn't leave me alone."

The forest around us felt oppressively silent, save for our exchange. "I get it, truly. I wish things were different. But sometimes... sometimes promises face tests. Maybe she's out there, thinking you're safe, waiting for the right moment to come back to you." My heart ached, torn between wanting to believe it myself and needing to provide comfort to this young girl.

"I... I'm scared," she whispered, finally.

"I am too," I admitted, feeling the weight of today's events pressing down on me. "But together, we can be a little less scared. And I made a promise. I-I'm here for you."

She looked at me, her watery eyes searching for trust. My every fiber screamed its genuineness, its determination. After what felt like an eternity, she gave a small nod, fresh tears streaming down her face. Her steps hesitant, she approached, and then she embraced me, as the dam of tears finally broke free. The pain of losing her world's center overwhelmed her, and she clung to me, seeking a solace I hoped I could offer.

"It's going to be okay, Ruby. One step at a time," I whispered, wrapping my arms around her protectively.

Her muffled response came out as a sob. "Can... Can you hold me? Just for a bit?"

Seeing her so vulnerable, so young and frightened, how could I refuse? Carefully, I lifted her up, and her slight weight felt so heavy, burdened with the weight of her world shattering around her. The night was descending, and the forest held a thousand unseen threats.

"We need to move. L-Let's find someplace safe," I whispered as she nestled into me, exhaustion slowly taking over.

With determination holding my overwhelming emotions at bay, I walked further into the forest. Every step, however, felt heavier than the last, and my body ached with exhaustion. Ruby's small form, resting in my arms, provided a semblance of peace.

Nestled on a gentle hillside, I spotted the entrance to a shallow cave, offering a reprieve from the night's chill and lurking dangers. Its depth seemed just enough to shield us from the elements without hiding potential threats within. It beckoned as the perfect temporary refuge.

Gently, I lowered Ruby onto a patch of soft earth inside the cave, tucking her in as best as I could. The dim light cast by the setting sun made her serene face look even younger. At the sight, a pang of nostalgia hit, conjuring memories of a time when my sister and I would seek comfort in each other's presence, a stark contrast to the present reality.

Settling beside her, I tried to find a comfortable position against the rocky wall. And then finally, closing my eyes, I aimed for just a few moments of rest, only to be disrupted by a sharp alert.

PING!

[Determination] has faded.

The instant the notification registered in my mind, a tidal wave of raw, suppressed emotions broke through the walls I had erected. The feelings were so intense, so immediate, that for a split second, I felt paralyzed.

And then… the torrent of emotions surged forth, all at once, each piercing my mind with visceral clarity.

First… Fear – Can I even protect Ruby? The Grimm... they're still out there. And Summer? What if I can't find her? Oh God, w-we're going to die, aren't we?

Second… Panic – Curt! The Grimm they're close. They're near. We're exposed, sitting ducks in this damn cave. Flee! Run! Just Fucking Go!

Third… Despair – God, no! I've already lost so much. And yet so much more could be taken from me. Can I handle any more loss?

Fourth… Anger – Why? Just why? Why is this happening to me, to her, to us?! Haven't we been through fucking enough?! What the hell did I do to deserve all of this!?

And then Fifth… Grief – All those memories, all those moments, gone. Everything that was... and might never be again. Is this really my fate? Endless Suffering.

As these emotions spiraled, the once-muted physical pain roared to life. Every ache, bruise, and wound screamed in synchrony, overwhelming my senses.

My vision blurred, the cave's interior merging into a whirl of dark shadows.

Curt, stay strong. For Ruby. You have to pull through.

But the tidal wave was relentless. Every heartbeat, every pulse, seemed to amplify the chorus in my mind, growing louder and more desperate with each repetition. Is this breaking? Is this how it feels when your mind begins to collapse?

My fingers instinctively dug into my scalp, as if physically holding my head could prevent the mental spiral. Past moments of strength, of comfort offered, now felt like distant dreams. How did I get here? Was any of this even real?

A-Am I even real?

As it all continued to intensify, a desperate cry formed, threatening to erupt from my core. You need to focus. Focus, damn it!

But it's… too… much…

The weight of it all pressed in, my fingers gripping my head, the sensations all overwhelming, like the world collapsing inward, and I... I just couldn't... I couldn't anymore... I was about to-

"aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH-"

PING!

You Blacked Out


If you made it this far, I hope you enjoyed it. Do leave some feedback, whether you thought it was the greatest story ever written, or despised it with a passion, or not if you don't want to, I guess. But I'm always looking to improve my writing, so feedback is helpful.

2