Chapter 8 – My shop!
451 1 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ron woke before dawn and quietly got out of bed. He had only one goal at that moment: to gather the necessary items to set up the magical repair tent in Diagon Alley.

Taking light steps so as not to wake the others, Ron walked to the cupboard where his mother kept tablecloths and gathered some in a bag. In the backyard, he took some old wooden boxes to make the structure of the tent.

After gathering the necessary materials, Ron walked to Fred and George's room.

"Fred! George! Get up! We need to go."

Ron said in a firm, hurried voice.

"Yes, Ron, just five more minutes..."

Fred replied, his voice drowsy, as a trail of drool came out of his mouth.

The brothers were lying on the beds. Their bodies were so relaxed they could be described as melting.

"We don't have that much time. Get up!"

Ron raised his voice impatiently.

"Ron are you… IT'S NOT EVEN 5 AM!"

Jorge was startled, looking at his watch.

Ron cocked his head impatiently, glaring at the two menacingly.

Even though Ron still had that angelic face of a child, the twinkle in his eyes had changed since the accident had happened. The brothers realized that something had changed in Ron and that piercing look could freeze the body of anyone who looked at it.

The twins finally gave in to Ron's insistence and got up, still drowsy, to join him in the kitchen. Ron organized everything efficiently, serving a simple breakfast and making sure everything was ready.

While they ate, Ron took the opportunity to give instructions on setting up the tent.

"Fred, you will be responsible for setting up the structure of the tent. Make sure the boxes are strong enough not to break under the weight of the objects."

Ron said, as he alternated the lines with small sips of plain, bitter tea he found in the cupboard.

"Sure, Ron. You can leave it to me."

Fred said yawning and with a bit of laziness in his speech. He seemed to be making fun of Ron.

"George, I want you to walk down Diagon Alley spreading the word about my shop."

Ron said, warming his hands over the cup.

"Our store!"

Fred interrupted.

"My store!"

Ron corrected.

"Our store!"

Fred continued steadily.

"And what will you do?"

George changed the subject seeing that the discussion would become endless.

"I will organize the repair objects."

Ron replied, finishing his tea.

"Repaired objects? Don't you just need the wand?"

George asked, confused.

"Yes, but I still want to expose some of the objects that have already been repaired. So, we will bring more confidence for people to go to MY store."

Ron responded by looking at Fred, who stared at him, and closed his eyes.

Ron knew that deep down it was just an excuse not to do any manual work, but he didn't need to tell them.

The brothers looked at each other with disbelief in their eyes, but soon shrugged off the matter.

Ron and Fred arrived at Diagon Alley with tablecloths and old boxes in their arms. The place was busy, with witches and wizards walking through the streets, enjoying the shops and interacting with each other.

Then Ron saw the corner beside the busy shop he had seen earlier as a small, empty alley. That was the perfect place for them to settle down. It wouldn't get in the way of witches or other stores.

Ron and Fred began to stack the wooden boxes, securing them to the floor with simple spells to ensure their stability, causing them to form a small table. They unroll the tablecloth and place it on top of the stacked boxes, trying to disguise the old look the boxes showed.

They also made another small table further down the alley, so that Ron could position the clients' broken magical objects and perform the spell without anyone getting in his way.

While Ron and Fred worked side by side, George roamed the nearby streets, spreading the word about the opening of the magical repair tent.

"Hey, did you hear about the new magical repair tent? The Weasley brothers are here to fix your damaged magical objects! Come check it out!"

George began to interrupt people walking down the street, excited. Most ignored it, but a few wizards expressed a mild interest in the matter.

As George attracted people's attention, wizards passing by on the street began to observe Ron and Fred's efforts in setting up the tent. Some curious people approached, interested in knowing more about the new option of magical services, while others just looked strangely at the brothers.

"Hey look. Looks like we have a new option for magical repairs. Do you think they're any good? They seem too young for that."

A short woman whispered to another as they passed, staring at Ron. She looked curious, but also distrustful of the two.

"Those look like children of the Weasley family. The family has a respectable reputation. It might be worth checking out."

The other woman replied, paying attention to the red hair of the brothers.

After a few minutes, the two had already finished setting up the tent. Now, they just needed George's publicity.

Fred leaned against the alley wall, resting after carrying so many boxes.

"Right! Now that things are set up, it's time for you to start attracting customers."

Ron said, placing the last object on top of the table as a sort of display case.

Fred placed himself in front of the tent, ready to attract the attention of potential customers.

"Hey, you there! Having problems with broken magical objects? We have the solution! Come check out our amazing magical repair tent! We guarantee magical results!"

Fred began pointing at people passing through the streets, pointing to whatever object they had in their hand.

Ron was watching intently, analyzing the dynamic Fred was putting into practice. Though he thought his brother's approach was a bit over the top, it sounded like a great way to attract customers. Fred spoke loud and happy, as if he were friends with all the wizards who passed by him, which made him bring more confidence in speech.

"Friend, is that a Communication Stone? It looks broken. Why don't you let us fix it for you?"

Fred started to follow a wizard as he pointed to a strange object in his hands. Ron had never seen that object before, but from the way Fred handled it, it didn't look like anything of value.

"For a nice little price, we can solve this, my friend! 5 minutes and he is ready for you.".

Fred kept following and talking loudly, with great enthusiasm.

"5 minutes? And how much would it be?

The tall, fat wizard, who seemed to be trying to dodge any tradesman on the street, seemed to have his attention caught by Fred after a few words of insistence.

"I'm glad you're interested, my good sir!"

Fred said excitedly, standing on tiptoe and putting his arm around the wizard's shoulder. Ron noticed that Fred had an embarrassed expression on his face.

"Let's go to our store so I can introduce you to our work in person!"

Fred said, pulling the tall, fat wizard up excitedly as he glared at Ron, trying to let him know that something was wrong.

"Wait here just a minute!"

Fred said with a huge smile to the wizard, who nodded without question.

"Ron…. There!"

Fred whispered to Ron, leaning forward slightly.

"What is it?"

Ron whispered back, confused.

"You didn't tell me how much it costs!"

Fred said with an awkward smile on his face, trying not to look desperate for the customer.

"OH!"

Ron thought of everything, but his mind was so distracted with spells and potion making that he simply forgot the most important thing: the shop's price list.

He quickly made a note in his head. Considering all the information he had already heard from the movie about Knuckles, Sickles and Galleons, plus the total his mother had spent on the last trip to Diagon Alley, they shouldn't charge anything more expensive than 50 Sickles. After all, they were just starting the business and a service performed by children who barely entered school was not likely to be reliable.

"50 sickles!"

Ron whispered after a few quick seconds.

"My comrade! Apologies for the delay. I was talking to my partner and well… We usually charge 60 Sickles, but since you were so nice to me, I'm going to give you a discount of 50 Sickles. What do you think?"

Fred extended his hand towards the wizard confidently.

Ron raised his eyebrows in surprise at his brother's idea. That had been a great idea. It would make customers feel special, building loyalty, and they wouldn't want to miss the opportunity to get service cheaper than usual.

"Oh, that's quite nice! Here's the money and my Communication Stone."

The wizard handed Fred a small bag of money next to the object he was holding in his hands.

Fred, without even looking at the object properly, handed it to Ron, who took it quickly.

That object was like a small and smooth greenish crystal, being 6 centimeters in diameter. Ron had never even heard of that object, but considering its name was the "Communication Stone", it was probably something like a cell phone.

"Hey, young man! Please don't change my main line. The last time I had it fixed was by a cheaper guy. They handed it to me with another line of thought and it was a hassle to pass it on to all my relatives again."

The man said worriedly, pointing to Ron, while resting his arms on his stomach and justifying himself to Fred.

'Line of thinking?'

Ron thought, as he looked at the boy nodding in agreement.

''So it's really like a phone. Communication Stone has dial-up lines like a cell phone number. Mages need to inform others of their phone number in order to be able to communicate with each other, or rather their "train of thought".'

[ Line of thought = phone number ]

He completed, turning the small greenish crystal in his hands.

Looking closer, he could see that the object had small cracks around it, as if it had been dropped on he ground a few times.

"What's wrong?".

Ron asked the man.

"Well, the signal keeps failing all the time. Whenever my Aunt Linda calls me, I can't hear anything very well, you know? And that old lady talks like a parrot Hahaha. Oh, I have to keep asking her to repeat it. I can't take this anymore haha."

The man laughed, nudging Fred, who pretended to find it funny.

Ron turned and placed the small crystal on top of the farthest box table and took his wand from his pocket.

Even though Ron had trained hard enough for this, the nervous feeling got to him. It was no longer a joke or a practice. He needed to perform the spell perfectly for the shop's reputation to increase.

He could feel Fred's gaze and the wizard watching him even though he had his back to them.

Ron gripped his wand firmly and pointed it towards the Communication Stone.

"Reparo!"

Ron said, staring at the broken object and mentalizing exactly what he would like to fix.

Then, a spark of light lit up from the wand and the magical object that before had uncomfortable cracks for the fingers of whoever held it, began to complete itself again, bringing the glittering shine of the crystal back.

Even though it was visually perfect, Ron didn't know if the Communication Stone was working and also, he had no idea how to use that object.

There wasn't much to do, except hope the spell worked and deliver the object to its owner.

Ron took the Communication Stone, which now had a smooth and comfortable texture, and handed it to the wizard.

The wizard began to analyze the piece, admiring the new look it had now.

"It's glowing… much brighter than before. I could tell it's shining brighter than when I bought it hahaha."

The wizard laughed, nudging Fred, who was snickering along to cover it up.

-----------

Author's Note:

Nukes: Exact Cents

Shekels: 50 sickles = 10 dollars

Gallons: 10 galleons = 50 dollars

(This is a fictional conversion based on some internet articles about Harry Potter world currencies).

16