18 – Slipping through?
2k 2 135
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
They bade farewell to the gentlemanly chauffeur after Emilia swiftly made sure he didn't hear anything he shouldn't have. They were now at the airport, carrying suitcases containing their possessions, mostly clothes. Emilia still hasn't bought much personal stuff she couldn't leave behind, Jean on the other hand didn't seem to have much in terms of personal items. She had a thin golden necklace around her neck, a memento of some kind, though Emilia haven't gotten around to asking about it yet. Other than that nothing she had was irreplaceable according to the girl.
 
*There are people with telepathy disruptors in the building,* Emilia looked at the building carefully, trying to locate all of the locations where she felt disturbances.
 
*Will it be a problem?*
 
Emilia felt Jean's psychic presence join hers in scouting out the building as they walked into the lobby.
 
*I don't think so, I've practised a bit with the helmet so I think I can get through it," Emilia evaluated her chances.
 
She still wasn't quite sure they wouldn't find out something was amiss with her passport if she didn't use a 'mind trick' on them. She smirked at the thought, who would have thought she would be using Jedi mind tricks on passport control officers? All she needed to do was make them think, despite whatever their tools told them, that her passport was okay. This was one of the easiest ways to use telepathy.
 
"Come on," Emilia motioned towards a ticket counter.
 
Jean obediently followed along. Still carefully scrutinizing the people around them with her powers without even turning her head. They had discussed before that looking around suspiciously would be counterproductive, plus their psychic senses would prove far better for scouting than their vision.
 
They managed to book two tickets to the next flight to London, they only had to wait 2 hours till the takeoff.
 
They decided to get something to eat and drink while they could. Emilia delegated keeping an eye out on security and the disruptors to a few thought-streams she separated from her main one. These she would reabsorb afterwards unlike the sub-minds she made for constant surveillance and telekinetic reaction. Those were almost constantly working, only pausing at night to rest.
 
Luckily the sensing part of her powers consumed only negligible amounts of her psychic energy reserves. Speaking of her reserves, they were expanding. Emilia didn't know whether it was slow or fast but it felt painfully slow to her, the faster she got stronger the better. Though Jean's reserves were static so maybe only hers growing.
 
The redhead also started to slowly experience getting stronger, her power, unfortunately, didn't increase passively like Emilia's but from her 'patron'. Jean divulged feeling like foreign psychic energy was streaming into her slowly, steadily increasing her overall reserves and making enhancing her psychic abilities.
 
Emilia sadly had to remind the girl that not also increasing her control over it would soon make her powers use her not the other way around. To her relief the girl took it seriously, even now she could feel how the redhead was training her telekinesis by making gusts of wind make intricate patterns in the air them and her telepathy by forging mental constructs in her mindscape.
 
That was another thing they would have to do, a person's mindscape was chaotic and vulnerable by default, they would have to organize it and build up mental defences. Emilia also got a few ideas she didn't tell Jean, she realized that their Mental Link was a backdoor to their minds. If a telepath got into Emilia's mind the Link would give that telepath easy access to Jean's too. She would rather self have a destructible implemented into her mind than let that happen.
 
*Moron, what are you thinking about again? * Jean glared at her.
 
Emilia averted her eyes guiltily. Jean seemed to take serious offence to the suggestion when she brought it up before. She watched her with narrowed eyes.
 
*I will not have you implementing your self-destructive ideas, am I understood?* she demanded.
 
Emilia showed some backbone as she said, *But I don't want to be your weakness.*
 
*Didn't we manage that assassin by working together?* Jean reminded her, she knew too that was mostly because of the man's lack of information but that wasn't her point, *instead of working as two psychics with a mental link, we should consider ourselves as a single one.*
 
Emilia widened her eyes as she contemplated that idea, along with its pros and cons.
 
"You might be right," she admitted, they could almost meld their psychic fields together and their link let them act in perfect synchrony, assisting the other and making up for their shortcomings.
 
"Of course I am," Jean raised her nose haughty, taking on a sneering expression.
 
Emilia just stared at her, regretting talking about anime and villainesses with her girlfriend already.
 
She considered playing along but the cringe was too much. She just couldn't do it this publicly, though she had to admit Jean made for a perfect noble mistress, the girl had a natural elegance and grace to her movements that Emilia just couldn't imitate. She was naturally clumsy and unathletic, even if she was kind of fit from jogging in the mornings for most of her life she was never good at sports requiring swift reflexes or coordination.
 
"Anyway, I saw they serve good-looking ice cream sundae here," Jean glanced at another table where an old couple were just served one, "want to try it?"
 
"Sure," Emilia said as she looked through the menu, "I'll get a strawberry one, what about you?"
 
"Oh, caramel for sure," Jean didn't even look through the list after noticing the option.
 
Emilia 'noted' the girl liked very sugary and creamy desserts.
 
"Excuse me!" Emilia waved down a waitress, "We'd like to order a strawberry and caramel sundae please."
 
"Alright I'll be back in a minute," the waitress noted their order, leaving quickly.
 
About half an hour later Emilia scooped out the last spoonful of ice cream from her glass.
 
"Are you sure you like sugar?" she asked Jean as she happily devoured Emilia's strawberry ice creams.
 
"I do, but there is such a thing as too much sugar too," she said grumpily.
 
"Mhm, I see," Emilia nodded, not mentioning the girl asking for double caramel syrup on top.
 
"We still have about half an hour until boarding begins," Jean checked her watch as she too finished the dessert.
 
*How many disruptors have you found?* Emilia asked, she also counted but double-checking would be better.
 
*Nine, two on this level and the rest upstairs somewhere,* Jean answered, showing the directions she felt them in.
 
*The two on this level are watching over the check-in, I'm not sure what the ones upstairs are doing but they aren't in the security control room,* Emilia nodded, Jean still had problems with identifying anything not psychic in nature with her senses so only Emilia could do this part of the scouting.
 
They headed over to the waiting area near the check-in for the boarding and sat down for now.
 
Emilia closed her eyes and pretended to sleep, slumping sideways in her seat, resting her head on Jean's shoulders.
 
Her mind was meanwhile exerting itself, attempting to glean any information she could from the disruptor-wearing people.
 
The disruptor wasn't a hard barrier that didn't let her use any of her powers, it just dispersed poorly constructed psychic constructs. It could also be overwhelmed by brute force, as evident in Jean being able to exert her powers over people wearing it. Unfortunately Jean wasn't much good at staying undetected while probing other's minds, a normal person would assume it was a headache but these people who have disruptors just for telepaths? They would know. That left Emilia to do it alone, she tried many types of mental constructs against the helmet but she found shapes based on triangles were similarly solid in the psychic environment as in the real world.
 
Her psychic tendrils were made up of hundreds of tiny tetrahedrons, basically pyramids with triangles as the base not squares. She could apply her psychic powers everywhere she could reach with her psychic sense, she named this area her 'area of influence' or 'psychic Field'.
Unfortunately only using her powers through it was the least stable, which wasn't a problem usually, but against these disruptors it was. Hence the tendrils.
 
They manifested near the shady people out of her Field and snaked their way close to them, becoming slimmer at their end they fortunately got across the disruption field, reaching the people.
 
Emilia started listening in on their surface thoughts first, she had to go through a bunch of nonsensical thoughts to finally get something interesting.
 
One of these people who she assumed was here to guard against people with hypnotic or telepathic powers getting in or out of the country was irritated. He felt like he was put into such a no-consequential job because he badmouthed his previous boss.
 
He was cursing out said boss by name along with all the shitty paperwork he had to do today before his work hours ended.
 
The name of the said boss was Nick Fury.
 
Well, they were SHIELD agents, after all, well this one was a veteran too. The rest were probably newer ones, considering their lack of focus on their jobs, they were thinking about many things, few of it was related to working at all.
 
though Emilia assumed they were only a quick response team tasked with assisting the security guards if someone supernatural needed to be detained. Or maybe they were here to capture all such people that dared come here.
 
If they weren't alerted there shouldn't be a problem, Emilia analyzes. She would have to keep a lookout still, even though there weren't facial recognition soft-wares used back in 2007, SHIELD had advanced sci-fi tech in the movies. They should have facial recognition by now if not something more advanced.
 
Luckily the weak point of such systems is the operator, which she would mess with if an alert goes out.
 
She pretended to groggily wake up.
 
She softly grabbed Jean's hand and raised it so she could check the time on her watch. It was time.
 
She lifted her head from its makeshift pillow and separated herself from Jean before standing up.
 
She still held Jean's hand as the redhead smiled amusedly at her.
 
"It's time to board our flight," Emilia pulled softly at the soft hand in her grasp.
 
The ginger beauty rose with a giggle, taking her suitcase into her free hand.
 
This would be the final hazard before leaving New York City, the cradle of many future superheroes and villains.
135