Chapter 04 – Humans
59 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Even though Shai received the quest to advance, she didn't jump at the first creature she saw. Instead, she went back to her hole to rest and contemplate her gains. No need for unnecessary violence on her birthday.

The thoughts of advancement were on her mind. Unfortunately, System Grandpa was as elusive as ever in giving more of a run-down version of what she needed. She had no clue if it was even possible to reach level 25 in thirty days. Well, considering I gained two levels just today, perhaps it won't be difficult...

But she won't gamble her fate on perhaps and buts.

Which brought her back to the status page again. Mostly at the 3 unallocated attribute points. Wonder where I'll invest them?

The answer wasn't simple as all attributes seemed useful. Physique would make her stronger, faster, tougher, and harder to kill. MInd, perhaps would make her more intelligent? Or cognisant? Soul was the most elusive.

Shai wondered if Soul was the attribute her magical power depended on. However, even with levelling up twice--which increased her Soul by two points--she didn't feel much increase in her energy reserves, which expunged the idea. Shai urgently needed more magical energy. Not just so that she could protect herself better, but also to train. More energy would make her more efficient in training.

She had a sinking suspicion that either Soul or Mind influenced the total amount of energy she could draw upon.

It takes Insight points to gain new skills, so she couldn't ignore that as well. Evolution sounded something important. Grandpa Darwin would approve of it. Fortune is good luck, probably.

Lastly, Recovery could help her recover energy quicker. Perhaps even her physical needs as well.

In the end, Shai deemed more magical energy would be the biggest help. Perhaps more skills too, but she didn't know if the Grandpa would give her chances to learn more skills or not.

After staring suspiciously at the status page for an unprecedented time, Shai invested 1 point to Soul. She waited to see if there was any increase in her energy reserve.

The calm stream of energy within her stirred up, but then within a couple of seconds, all calmed down as though nothing happened. Shai spent a good couple of minutes retracing the feeling and what actually transpired. Perhaps the total amount within her risen, but it was at a minuscule level, 1 to 2% at best. However, the 1 point of investment seemed to change something in the energy.

The density perhaps?

Shai invested another point to trace the sensation again, fully committing to the visualization state.

It wasn't simply density or viscosity... more points into the Soul change the soul to a deeper degree... She didn't have the right words to describe it.

Shai kept the last point, just in case, and checked her status page one last time before moving into deep meditation.

____________

[Shai]

Rank: Foundation (F)

Path: Favoured Hatchling Lvl 3

Laws: None.

 

Mark: Fatemarked. Blessed by Kismet (Lesser)

 

Attributes:

Primary Attribute: Total

- Physique: 8

- Mind: 10

- Soul: 18

- Recovery: 9

 

Special Attributes:

- Insight: 5

- Evolution: 11

- Fortune: 12

Unallocated points: 1

Aspect:

Golden Eyes (Dormant) | Poison Affinity (D)

Skills[3/8]:

Basic Meditation (F) - 89% | Bestial Instinct (E) - 3% | Arcane Shot (D) - 7%

Boon:

Inventory | Lingual Comprehension

Remark:

I was only a Level 1 Hatchling.

[System Log] [Active Quest]

_____________

 

Shai was in a deep meditative state way past midnight, circulating her energy to the best of her abilities. Which helped her mastery of [Basic Meditation (F)] to reach the 90% mark.

With that accomplishment to put her at ease, Shai slept like a newborn baby. Despite the frequent howls of wild animals unnerving her, she found herself too tired to care about and dozed off.

As a snake--a newborn as that--Shai was required to rest a lot of hours, possibly more than half of the day. As far as she was aware, Shai was certainly not a normal hatchling. Hopefully, putting some points into Mind would diminish the need for sleep.

When the first rays of sun dawned on the looming darkness of the wilderness, Shai didn't feel that rested at all. It was about five hours since she slept, which wasn't nearly enough.

She would've slept for longer, but a disturbance bothered her enough to let her sleep soundly. She wasn't certain if it was due to her reptilian form or [Besitial Instinct], but she could perceive these kinds of anomalies more, not that she had any clue what was happening, other than a disharmony in the air. Not just anomalies, somehow I'm intuitively aware of the sunrise as well.

The disturbance rose to its peak and finally calmed down. Shai perked her head up from the hole to sense the disturbance was about fifty away. Whatever caused the ruckus wasn't progressing towards her. Whatever they were, they weren't after her.

Maybe I should check them out? A dangerous thought, but she was curious. Without a proper assumption of the dangers, how could she be wary of them? Besides, she would only look from afar, hiding in the bushes.

Making her decision, she continued along the grassy path, adopting a more stealthy approach. Only then did she notice her speed had risen a little, and she had... grown? Well, it was only by a couple of inches at best... but that was fast. Magic makes everything weird, I guess.

In a matter of moments, Shai found out who was behind all the ruckus. It was after all humans.

By the time she reached the area, the battle reached its conclusion. However, it could hardly be called a fair fight, with five individuals ganging up on a lone younger man. All of them seemed to have magical powers like her. The reddish-orange halo of power around them proved that easily. She wasn't that special to have magical power after all, but she doubted if any of them were reborn like her.

The band of five had a more condensed halo about them than the captured youth, but clearly, they seemed to be nothing more than a group of mercenaries, hired goons. But they looked strong... The deep orange halo around them looked dangerous.

Concealed within the hedge, the little white snake carefully eavesdropped on the group of humans before her. The captive's hands and legs were securely bound, as they latched a collar around his neck. Instantly the yellow halo of power around him was suppressed.

Is that metal collar something that can nullify magical power? Shai felt a sudden chill in her core.

Regardless, something of significance must be unfolding for these five to gang up on a seemingly weaker and younger man.

"They shouldn't have gone far," said a man who had some resemblance to a monkey. Half beast? He was positioned on the left side of the group's apparent leader. The deeper shade of orange halo gave evidence of that.

"I've already sent Lashin to search for them," replied the leader, a broad man who towered over the others by at least a head. With an unsightly scar stretched from his right cheek through his hair, along with a massive bastard sword on his back, he exuded a formidable presence. "It won't be long before we capture that elf and the bloody witch."

Elf? Witch? Shai pondered from her hidden spot. While she was familiar with both terms, she never met any. Witches were super old grannies who couldn't stop themselves from seeking ways to retain their youth. On the other hand, elves naturally possessed long lifespans, highly talented in all sorts of spirit arts according to the lores of D&D.

An elf and a witch—a rather suspicious pair indeed.

"Boss, would you mind if I had that elf?" inquired the monkey guy once again, his lascivious grin betraying his intentions. He held a bloodied mace in his hand. "He seemed quite formidable to me, you know how—"

"Haha, we're all aware that you're a sadist, Mikel," interjected another man with animal features, unable to contain his snickers. Unlike the monkey-man, this fella had scaly reptilian skin. Shai didn't know how he came to be, but he was definitely not her kin.

"Shut up, Dock," Mikel retorted sharply, watching his boss warily.

"You'll have plenty of time to indulge yourself, but first, we must capture them," the boss declared, shaking his head disapprovingly at his crew. He directed their attention towards the captive practitioner. "These three are dangerous lots. Have you seen any Copper ranker like him challenging us, head-on without fear?"

"He's a lunatic," Dock provided. "Maybe they all are."

The boss nodded, his gaze focused on the captive, who had murder in his eyes, completely silent even though his mouth wasn't muffled.

"The witch will be tricky," the boss said. "We need to hurry before the poison wears off." Pausing for a moment, he raised his eyes towards the canopy of trees. "Huh, looks like Lashin's here."

Shai had assumed Lashin to be another member of their group, but to her surprise, it turned out to be a bird—a marvellous golden-tailed Eagle, to be precise. Lashin gracefully descended, landing on the shoulder of the towering male as the boss affectionately stroked its neck.

"Did she find them?" Mikel inquired anxiously.

The leader shook his head. "Lashin did not," he replied, "but she did discover some traces of their presence. Let's move."

The group swiftly departed, carrying their captive along with them, while Shai let out a breath of relief from her concealed position. It was evident that something dubious was afoot. Sadly, it was of a magnitude far beyond her capabilities to get involved. Not that she would like to. The guy mentioned Copper rank--it is likely something after Foundation.

Just as she decided to abandon any involvement with these dangerous humans and beastmen, transparent texts materialised once again in her mind's eye, as System Grandpa presented her with a new quest.

[Quest: Unveil the Secret of the Land.]

4