Interlude – II: Serenity
1k 5 63
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

INTERLUDE - II
SERENITY

 

Serenity's eight legs moved in perfect synchronisation as she swiftly crossed the terrain. Shooting multiple strands of webs onto the wall, she used them to ascend from the deep pit, swinging through the air with grace and precision.

The pit was too high to be scaled with just one or two shots of her cobwebs. It required over half a dozen attempts to successfully climb up. Midnight, with her superior speed and abilities, might have managed it in just a couple of shots. But she wasn't Midnight.

Fortunately, this particular section of the cavern was devoid of other members of their spider clan, especially those increasingly erratic male halfs. Serenity could swing freely without the risk of colliding with someone else, saving her precious time by relying on her webs instead of painstakingly climbing with her legs.

Yet it did little to ease the pressure of being late.

"You're late," a voice resonated in her mind as Serenity landed beside another empathic spider similar to her size. One and a half metres tall, hardly among the tallest of their clan, but they were the elites.

The other spider, Elegy, was matted in a deep shade of brown, with legs that appeared as if carved from obsidian. Born in the same generation as Serenity, Elegy seemed to hold a morbid fascination with outliving herself, constantly underlining the significance of every wasted moment. It came as nothing but nagging into Serenity's senses.

"By twelve minutes," Elegy transmitted, glancing at the device--humans called a "watch"--strapped to her right second leg. It was a memento she had received from their former leader long ago, in recognition of her bravery in thwarting a group of humans attempting to intrude upon their home.

"You cling to human trinkets a bit too much," Serenity remarked, sending an empathic sensation of disapproval through their link. She had learned it from Midnight. Well, most of their mannerisms wee either learned or mimicked from Midnight. "Perhaps soon you'll be the one requesting to leave home, just like Silence did."

Elegy displayed no interest or inclination to refute Serenity's accusation. "You're trying to deflect attention from your own misconduct," she stated, conveying the same disapproving manner. Serenity had to admit that Elegy's imitation of that tone came across as more natural than her. Of course, Elegy had spent every moment disproving her behaviour. "Unfortunately for you, you forgot, I didn't fall for your false accusations for months."

"Yeah, sorry." Serenity crackled with her mandibles. "I stumbled upon something fascinating. You wouldn't believe it if I didn't show it to you. I almost regret leaving it behind for this."

"No, you just wanted to rub it on me," Elegy responded, maintaining her usual level tone. "Say that to Midnight if you dare."

Serenity emitted nervous exasperation through their telepathic connection.

"Let's go, Midnight is waiting," Elegy replied, as she started moving without explaining further.

Serenity groaned telepathically to Elegy as she followed. She didn't need to do that, but it was always amusing to remind her forever-tidy sister. Of course, her tidy sister remained unfazed by the reminder. However, Serenity has something that would pique the interest of her indifferent sibling. Well, it might rattle her to the core.

"I received an edict from Mother," she added, snickering to herself.

Elegy halted abruptly and turned towards Serenity. "You're lying."

"I don't lie about Mother," Serenity transmitted with a wave of sternness.

"You? Out of all people, why would Mother even contact you?" Elegy stirred with disbelief. Her agitation was everything Serenity lived for.

Serenity revelled internally but maintained an indifferent expression. "The important thing is that Mother didn't contact you."

Yes, that was what truly mattered. Elegy had been striving relentlessly to reach their Mother, who had remained silent and elusive for years. Something was amiss within their home, and they had only just begun to take notice. However, their mother should have foreseen it long ago.

Naturally, Elegy desired to contact their mother not only to inquire about their home but also to challenge certain rules that seemed foolish to her or implement improvements to enhance their workflow. It was difficult for her to believe what Serenity was claiming now.

After all, she was astounded that the most irresponsible member of their ranks had received an order from Mother.

Serenity moved forward, basking in her own triumph, leaving Elegy with her mandibles hanging open in bafflement.

"Even if Mother did contact you," Elegy said, joining Serenity's side, "it would likely be to reprimand you for your faults and misconduct."

"You wish," Serenity retorted. Their mother rarely punished them for their misconduct. As long as it remained within the bounds of their duty, she simply reminded them of their actions and left them to suffocate in their own guilt. However, that had changed since Silence left.

Serenity couldn't contain her excitement after finally receiving revelations from their mother and being entrusted with a duty. Well, perhaps a little of her excitement stemmed from Elegy's frustration. Nope, a lot from my dear sister's frustration.

Her orderly sister must be screaming internally, desperate to know what their mother had assigned to Serenity. Serenity wished she could experience it through their mental link. However, Elegy was never careless in her skills, especially when it came to empathetic defence.

Well, for now, Serenity was content witnessing her sister's frustration displayed outwardly.

They moved to meet their chief, who probably had been waiting for them for a while.

Midnight was one remarkable spider sister. She was a work of art. Unlike the two of them, Midnight had a silvery hue with scattered brownish spots in her captivating form, as if sculpted from the finest marble. She was slightly smaller, standing a foot or two shorter than them, but her stature did not diminish her formidable presence. The smaller size only enhanced her agility and dexterity, which were crucial for her expertise. The elongated pair of sickle-like legs in front of her testified to that.

Midnight sensed their presence through the mental link as soon as they approached within a hundred metres, yet she didn't bother to turn towards them.

"Oh, it's not getting any easier," she noted, gazing at another pit filled with spiderwebs intertwined all around.

This particular pit wasn't as deep or long, spanning only about half a mile, but with the multitude of webs spread throughout, making death from falling into it nigh impossible. Numerous smaller spiders, and juveniles, were playing and learning in the pit. Midnight, Elegy, Serenity, they all once had been there as well, playing to their heart's content without an inkling of the responsibilities they would shoulder on this day.

Finally, Midnight turned, giving the pit one last glance. "There are a few trespassers who have entered our home," she disclosed, "and from the signs, it's clear they harbour no good intentions."

"We have more important news than that," Elegy interjected, gesturing towards Serenity. "Serenity, why don't you share what you told me on the way?"

Serenity stepped forward, meeting Midnight's intense gaze with multiple eyes fixed on her. Amidst the scrutiny of her sisters, she announced, "Mother contacted me."

"What?!" Midnight exclaimed as all eight of her eyes locked onto Serenity. "When did this happen? What does Mother want from you?"

It took a couple of seconds for Midnight to realise she lost her composure. That was not an undesirable display, considering the values she had instilled in them. A superior should always display composure, even when she wasn't.

Supposedly, this was a teaching passed down by their Mother. However, Serenity and Elegy had not been directly taught by Mother. They belonged to the ninetieth generation, while Mother had quit teachings after the fifth generation. Midnight and Solace were the sole remaining members of the original five generations. As for the others, they didn't talk about them.

Well, Serenity believed them to be dead. Even if they evolved into superior Empathic spiders, and reached a higher realm of cultivation, they couldn't live for more than a few centuries. Besides, external threats occasionally invaded their home, reducing their numbers more than natural causes ever could.

"Well," Elegy prompted, bringing Serenity's attention back to the topic.

"Yes," Serenity composed her mind. "It happened before I arrived here. I was exploring the southern side of the cavern, following a trail that seemed suspicious. As I investigated further, it turned out to be even more peculiar than I had initially assumed."

"What is it?" Midnight fixed her gaze on Serenity, detecting an excessive amount of excitement in her voice.

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you," Serenity replied. "It's a small snake, not even at copper rank, but I found it to be odd from every angle I looked into it. I engaged in a full conversation with it and discovered that it likely came from some high lines among serpentine creatures. However, what troubled me the most was the overwhelming presence of negative emotions emanating from it."

"I apologise" Elegy interjected, "but where does Mother fit into all of this?"

"I'm sorry," Serenity retorted with the same tone of annoyance, "but if this conversation bores you, feel free to leave."

Elegy bit her mandibles in frustration.

"Enough," Midnight intervened. "Serenity, please continue."

"Yes, where was I? Oh yes, that snake— she revealed her name and seemed far too intelligent for a mere hatchling. Furthermore, the intensity of those emotions felt..." --she wanted to say delicious, but all she said was-- "wrong."

"She?"

"Her?"

Midnight and Elegy asked in unison.

"Yes," Serenity continued, "I launched a mental assault on the snake after discovering that it was in an impasse with one of the chaotic male spiders. It-- She resisted my attack for a brief moment, showing resilience that exceeded my expectations. While I may not possess Elegy's expertise in mental combat, I am more than capable of handling a mere hatchling. However, what truly surprised me was realising that the snake possessed her own defence mechanisms against mental attacks."

"So, did you eliminate it?" Elegy asked.

"No," Serenity replied. "I was in the midst of conversing with the snake when Mother contacted me. She instructed me to leave it be. Mother specifically emphasised on ignoring 'calling the snake "her". However. I think the latter part of her directive held more significance in our situations."

Both her sister and elder looked at her with anticipation.

"Mother told us to wrap up our current tasks and enter the gate when it opens."

"Is that all?" Elegy asked, clearly not satisfied with just that.

"No," Serenity transferred, recalling. "Mother also informed me about two other trespassers and urged us to let them be."

Midnight interjected, "Wait, two trespassers? I located three, and they were all of the Iron ranks."

Serenity eyed her elder in confusion.

"Perhaps—"

"No," Midnight interrupted Elegy, her tone unwavering. "Mother doesn't make mistakes, nor have I made an error in my assessment."

"In that case," Elegy reasoned, "there may be more trespassers beyond our knowledge. Serenity, did Mother mention anything else?"

"No," Serenity confirmed.

The trio exchanged glances, and Midnight turned her attention to the pit where the juvenile spiders were engrossed in their playful activities. Meanwhile, Elegy chattered her mandibles together, a habit borne out of her frustration. It was something Elegy couldn't stop when she couldn't find a solution.

Serenity failed to grasp the severity of the situation. While humans occasionally ventured into their territory with malicious intent, their home remained relatively secluded. Most intruders consisted of other creatures attempting to intrude upon their domain, claim their resources and kill their kind. However, apart from those malicious humans, few posed a genuine challenge to their abilities.

Serenity could only recall an instance, more than a decade ago, when humans came cordially. It was some queen of the humans--Serenity wasn't sure--who had the honour of meeting Mother.

Mother instructed Serenity to disregard the two trespassers, yet Midnight discovered no trace of them during her search. Instead, she encountered three others whom she determined to be threats to their livelihood. And then, there was that snake.

"The gate is scheduled to open in seven nights," Midnight said, breaking the silence. "During this time, our priority is to deal with the three iron-ranked humans."

Serenity and Elegy exchanged nervous glances. They had faced iron-ranked adversaries before and emerged victorious, but the encounters always came at a cost. However, now they were strong as ever. Even still, their reliance on Midnight was greater than ever.

 

63