Chapter 22: Start of Painful Tutoring
656 17 37
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I sat in a library chair again, restlessly kicking my sore legs. The morning demon queen treatment had worked, and my legs became spaghetti. Despite the sensation, I looked around the enormous library. 

A blackboard rested on the other side of the desk, with pieces of white chalk in the indent and a black eraser. The rest of the place remained silent as we waited. Only a dragon lady and I were present. 

Beside me, Ilisef’s eyes looked lifeless. The morning hadn’t brought the dragon light. She groaned and slumped in her seat. 

“I see you are a ray of sunshine,” Grandpa said, startling us both. 

“How long have you been there?” I asked. 

“Me? I just got here,” he said before gesturing to the blackboard. “As promised, you will start learning history today.”

It was my turn to groan. I always hated history. I found myself wishing that I had more time to spend with the demon queen. At least Adelisa hadn’t tried to teach me history. Either that or maybe he would let me take a recess to start painting. However, the look in his eyes told me otherwise. I sighed, resigning myself to my fate. 

After that, I spent two hours desperately trying to listen to the lecture. I picked up some things, such as the names of a few neighboring countries and a good bit of Arris Kingdom’s past. 

Our country started a few hundred years ago. Grandfather End founded it. In those times, things were much different. This city didn’t have a vibrant culture like now, and the people united under a thin promise of prosperity. It was a rarity for a vampire to lead people, so naturally, they made many enemies. 

He didn’t tell me much until we reached Shulk, our vassal nation. Previously, the country had its own ruling system. Slaves were commonly sold there before a rebellion against the ruling family. This was more recent history. I remembered Yumi telling me something similar.

Following the sleep-inducing lesson, Mother and Yumi met me in the hallway. 

“You look beat, my poor En,” Mother said and hugged me. “Did Father do something crazy?”

“No. It’s just History. Is it true, Mother? Is there really an international magic school?”

“He told you that, too? In short, that is where you will be going in a few years.” She smiled and picked me up. “You have gotten much bigger in almost six years.”

I wanted to pout about my baby treatment, but at the same time, it was lovely. I let her shower me with kisses and carry me towards my bedroom. At least, that’s where I thought we were going until we entered a different wing of the castle. 

“Where are we going, Mother?” 

“Fufu.” 

Behind her, Yumi had a sympathetic, knowing look on her face, and my tummy filled with dread. 

“Mommy,” I said in a high, sing-songy voice. “Where are we going?”

Mother smiled. “Yumi, the door, please.”

“Yes, Your Majesty.” Yumi rushed in front to open the door.

It was another office room, though this one was much bigger than Father’s study. Two fluffy maids were already on standby behind a small table. What looked like fine white china cups sat on top. The rest of the room was almost empty besides the chairs. The shelves which were meant to hold books had seemingly been cleared out. 

Mother strolled over to one of the chairs, pulled out by one of the fluffy maids, and sat me down. 

“What are we doing here?” I asked. 

She smiled and sat across from me. “The tutelage of Father is not the only one you receive. You must also learn this.”

The two fluffy maids poured tea into the cups. They bowed before taking a step back. Their behavior was much stiffer than that of Yumi, who stood by the door. I eyed the glass in confusion.

“What am I learning, mommy?”

She lifted her plated teacup slowly and elegantly to her mouth. She took a sip, and every movement was well practiced. There was no slurping or sloppy handling. It was something so simple, but I watched intently. She finally lowered the glass back onto the table in another smooth motion.

“From today on, you will also be doing nobility training—more specifically, you will learn how to talk and act like a princess.”

I looked back to Yumi. She nodded, seemingly saying I was on my own. 

“Don’t worry,” Mother said. “It is just for formality’s sake. I also tire of doing it, but it’s a skill we must possess.” 

I slumped in my seat. 

“And that’s where we start. You are not allowed to slump.” She stood and moved behind me, pulling me up straight. She grabbed the backs of both my hands. “When you aren’t drinking tea, these go in your lap like this.”

“I get that I need to do this for formality, but will I really need to change how I talk, too?” 

She pulled my hand up and placed it on the side ring of the cup. “It’s only for situations like this. Remember, pinch and support,” she said. She made two of my fingers pinch together in the small hole, and a third finger supported the ring. “You will catch on in time. For now, hold the other side of the cup.”

“I don’t grab the plate?” I asked. 

“No, the saucer stays down when you sit at the table. From this position, it’s easy to sip the tea. Only when you wish to stand do you lift the saucer.”

“How would I hold it if I wanted to walk around?”

She returned to her side of the table, holding the teacup and saucer. “You always keep it around your belly when you walk around.” She demonstrated walking around and kept the tea at her midsection the whole time. “The etiquette goal is to make the least noise when dining or drinking tea. The guests would look upon you less fondly if you interrupted them with loud stirring or chewing.”

I nodded. I had a long journey ahead of me to become an etiquette master.

37