Chapter 16: Magical Art
840 13 58
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I awoke in my familiar room just as the sun set on the horizon. Yumi sat next to my bed. When I lifted myself, her fluffy ears shot up. I wondered why she seemed uneasy but remembered how I got here. I had passed out from a strange man simply looking into my eyes. 

"Little Princess!" Yumi grabbed onto my hand. "Little Princess, are you okay? You passed out so suddenly."

"I am okay, I think. Who was that man? Why did he break the door?"

"That was your grandfather—the previous ruler—the queen's father. He was so excited to meet you, but the queen has other plans for now."

"My grandfather? Wait, what do you mean by other plans?"

"I suppose she plans to give him a royal talking to. I don't envy that man, Little Princess," Yumi said, idly patting my head. "Even from here, I hear some of what Her Majesty is saying."

"You can!? Please, you have to tell me!" 

"I am afraid I cannot do that, for I do not wish to violate the sanctity of your mind with such language, Little Princess." 

Apparently, a 'royal talking to' meant that my mother would be cursing at my poor grandfather. But what about me? Does that mean I will be stuck in this room all night? Was I stuck here all night after confessing about my past? 

I wondered what they all thought about me. I looked into Yumi's eyes, but I couldn't discern anything. Her ears kept twitching from whatever curse Mother levied at my poor grandfather. 

"Yumi." 

"Yes, Little Princess?" 

"Do you think we could paint for a while?" I asked.

"Sure thing! We will paint until Her Majesty finishes," she said, pulling the painting tools and canvas out with her magic. 

"Oh, but before that, where did Father go?" 

"The King is fetching someone to replace the door of his office. Despite what he said, it seems he really will be fixing it." 

I nodded, getting out of bed as everything was ready. I began brainstorming what I wanted to paint—anything that would take my mind off thinking. I confronted the issue I'd been dealing with. It was a massive weight off my shoulders, but it seemed things would become even more hectic. 

Clearing my mind was a challenge I managed slowly. I closed my eyes, focusing—something gentle to clear my mind. A gentle autumn breeze, perhaps? Maybe even a night sky blanketed with stars. The night sky here seemed different, but I had seen it so seldom. Despite being a vampire, I was rarely allowed to go out at night. I had a sinking suspicion that vampires here weren't vampires in the traditional sense. We were more akin to a race of our own rather than rising from some evil human ritual. My mind raced and ebbed until I could finally visualize the moon. Though it wasn't this world's moons, I found myself in. 

I had begun painting the classical full moon of planet Earth. I had no clue why, but I put mana into my arm halfway through the painting. The slight draw of energy accompanied my brush strokes. I could hear the oohs and ahs of Yumi behind me as I worked, like a little Michelangelo. Or was it some other painter of night skies? I didn't know, but I worked. The mana inserted into the painting had the effect of making the only paint color I had—blue—glitter with each stroke. 

By the time I finished, hours must have passed. It had gotten entirely dark outside—the only light coming from the large window of my quarters. Yumi clapped from behind me as usual when I finished, but this time I felt vindicated. The drawing before me—even in all blue—was spectacular. 

The blue full moon glowed and sparkled in the top corner of the drawing, beneath it a quiet lake full of water lilies. The painting actually seemed alive, and Yumi agreed. 

"Little Princess, it is almost as if I am there. I've seldom heard of painters using magic. Though, this one provides a nice ambiance." 

"That's right, it makes me feel like I could watch a movie again," I said.

"A movie? Is this something from before? Memories of your last life?" She asked as I cringed. "I am sorry, Little Princess."

"No, it's okay. I don't mind telling you, but I think a demonstration would be better. I wonder how…" The world I reincarnated in had magic, pizza, and even sliding metal doors that ran on magic. How would they not have movies? I assumed they had plays but wondered how much they would incorporate magic into the performances. 

I focused on the painting, closing my eyes once more. Amazingly, the residual magic allowed my mind to make out the drawing. Without opening my eyes, I gathered mana from my core. Yumi was close by, so she could stop me if things got dangerous, at least. The silver mana thread wrapped around my mental image of the drawing, pulling it from the canvas. 

I gasped in surprise as I opened my eyes. Looking over at Yumi, her eyes were wide, too. I grinned in smug satisfaction. The painting had leaped from its place on the canvas, becoming a hologram. 

"This is amazing, Little Princess! I have never seen this type of magic. Look at how the water ripples!" She paused, pushing her hand through it. The image only distorted around her hand. "It reminds me of another spell, but the properties of this one are vastly different. Look! My hand goes through it so nicely!" Her tail zipped back and forth. 

Watching that happy, fluffy tail was nicer despite the entrancing imagery. The excitement only heightened when Mother finally opened the door. 

"That ba–Father will pay for making me miss this moment! Fufufu, it seems you were busy while I was occupied, dear~." 

I could only smile wryly at that and hoped she wouldn't kill the man to whom I had yet to introduce myself properly. My mother rushed over, picking me up and squeezing my cheek against hers. 

"You must tell me all about this in the morning, dearie! For tonight, though, it's time for your bed." 

And just like that, she put me to sleep with a bedtime story. This one was about an ancient being learning to greet a child properly. I didn't have to guess why; nonetheless, sleep quickly found me in her tender, loving arms. 

58