Chapter 18: Who’s to Judge?
958 17 55
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After the meeting came the usual morning workout that I always dreaded. Grandfather walked behind us with Ilisef. I was pretty sure the only reason he wasn’t acting wild was Mother’s presence. He made himself small along with the dragon while I held the queen’s hand. We reached the courtyard, where the Demon King, Adelisa, ran up to me right away, smiling. 

“You are later than usual, En,” she said. Her voice was calm, but her tail betrayed her excitement. She looked behind Mother and me, immediately stopping. “Sir!” She started to get on a knee before Elise stopped her with a hand.

“Do not forget, Adelisa. I am still the queen,” Mom said. 

“I know, but—”

“No buts. After all, they are also here to observe the training.”

“Yes, your majesty,” Adelisa saluted before continuing. “Who is the girl beside the Grand Elder?” 

“Psht, don’t call me Grand Elder, Adelisa.” Grandfather stepped forward, lightly pulling Ilisef with him. “Due to the prying ears of other knights…” He looked around the training court. The knights were still battling in their tunics with wooden swords but were looking over. They seemed to jump when they noticed End’s gaze. “I am afraid I cannot divulge her name here.”

“It’s okay, Father. Let the girl introduce herself.”

“What wh—”

Ilisef jumped into the middle as if it were a play, sporting a devilish grin. She threw her arms into the air. “I am one of the great disasters of this world! One of the few remaining Elder Dragons, Ilisef of the Plague!”

Her grand performance had me clapping. “Ooh,” I said in reverence of her mighty name. The other knights wore stunned expressions. I was just hoping that if she performed long enough, I could skip training altogether. Adelisa wasn’t so bemused as she glared at the poor girl.

“That’s right, be terrified of my great figure!”

What happened next was impossible to follow. I only saw a glint before Adelisa’s sword shattered against a barrier. 

“Sir, why do you stop me?” She asked, her anger turning towards Grandfather.

I was blinking rapidly, wondering what had happened. Adelisa had a sword, but it was shattered before I could think. Pieces of it lay on the ground, and she held the pommel mid-swing. I tried to focus on the point of contact around Ilisef’s body. Faintly, I could imagine a thin magic barrier. 

“I stopped you because she is our guest.”

“Guest? With all due respect, sir, don’t make me laugh. Are you aware of her crimes?”

To my surprise, it was Mother who answered. “Enough, Adelisa. That’s enough.”

“Your Majesty?”

“I know how you must feel. However—”

“May I be excused today, Your Majesty?” Adelisa asked. I could almost feel her anger. Her tail no longer wagged, and her ears were on full alert. 

“Yes, I am sorry it had come to this. In fact,” Mother looked over all of the knights who’d stopped training, “you all will get a week’s leave starting today.”

Before the other knights could respond, Adelisa raised a hand. “You heard Her Majesty. There will be no arguing with the queen’s orders.” She turned back to the queen as the knights began scurrying out of the courtyard. “I know not why you protect her, but I have sworn to follow you.” Kneeling once more, she bowed her head deeply. “I am sorry for my rash behavior.”

“Don’t mind it. I understand. Take a well-needed rest and time to think this over.”

We watched Adelisa leave after her dismissal. When we were the only ones in the courtyard, my mind finally caught up. I felt terrible after seeing Adelisa's face like that. All I wanted to do was avoid demonic training. I looked at the source of the commotion, Ilisef. Her expression didn’t make her seem like a monster. Her face was wrinkled in pain as if she was holding back tears. But why?

“Ilisef, do you see now?” End asked. “This is the result of your actions.” 

I wondered how Grandfather could be so mean. But looking at Ilisef, she didn’t deny it. She nodded slowly. I looked at Mother. She didn’t deny it either. I looked at Yumi, who’d been quiet the whole time, but her expression didn’t give anything away. Is this what justice is? I wondered if that was how I’d think about the man who shot me.

The rest of the day went by in a daze. It had been quiet after that. I finally had refuge from Ilisef's awkwardness and emotional pain. She didn’t say it, but I could see it. I shook my head. I was alone with Yumi at the end, as usual. I sat before a blank canvas, but my hand had yet to move. 

“What’s wrong, Little Princess? Is it Ilisef?” Yumi asked, bringing her chair closer and patting my head.

“How did you know?”

“Well, I would say it’s because you are easily readable, but that is not the whole truth. I have been your maid for five and a half years, Little Princess. So, will you tell me what’s on your mind?”

I felt a twinge of guilt at remembering how long I had kept from her that I had reincarnated. “I am just wondering if that girl—dragon—deserves to be treated like that. Why was Adelisa so angry?”

“I see now. Normally, I wouldn’t tell this to a child, but,” Yumi paused, hugging me close to her, “that dragon had killed many people. I won’t go into deep detail, but one of Adelisa’s own was slain by Ilisef’s followers.”

“I see, so is it the right thing to do?” I asked as Yumi pet me. 

“I do not know, Little Princess. I do not know. Once the news gets out, the people might question the queen.”

“Why Mother?”

“She will take the blame for the Grand Elder.” 

Before I knew it, I was crying. Tears flowed down my cheeks. Even though I could understand things rationally, my heart couldn’t believe them. 

Yumi hugged me tightly. “You have a big heart, Little Princess. The people will follow the queen no matter what, so you can rest on that front. Though, I have something I wish to ask of you.”

I nodded up at her. Through blurry vision, I could see her smile at me. 

“I wish for you to be kind to that girl, Ilisef. Can you do that for me, Little Princess?”

“Be kind? Why? Everyone will hate her for what she did—”

Yumi placed a finger on my lips before I could continue. “And that’s exactly why.” She looked at my blank canvas before releasing me from the hug. “We can put this to rest if you want for today.”

“No! I know just what I want to paint,” I said, looking down at my only color—blue. I always wondered how the paint bottle remained full. It must have been magic. I turned the bottle in my hand before looking out the window. The sun was still barely on the horizon. “I have time! Yumi!”

“Yes, Little Princess?”

“Where is Roland? Does he have any more of these endless paint bottles?”

And once more, for the twentieth time since my rebirth, I bumped into Roland after rounding a corner while running the halls. I wondered if he had a spell to make this happen every time. 

“Oh? And what causes her highness to beam with such energy at this late hour?”

“Just the person we wanted to see!” I jumped and hugged the gray man. 

“You wanted to see me? Well, I hope this old man can be of some assistance.”

“Hey! Don’t be silly with me! I know that you can teleport around! I saw you doing that with Father!”

“Has my secret been revealed? Maybe I should give you up to that demon queen behind you?” Roland asked as he looked at Yumi behind me.

“No! This isn’t the time for demon kings or queens!” I said, puffing my cheeks. 

“Oh, is it some new game?”

“No, not that either. I was wondering if you had more paint colors.” 

“More paint colors? You mean to tell me you’ve only been using blue for two years?” He asked, finishing with a hearty laugh.

“No! I mean, yes! But that isn’t important right now. Can I please have some more colors? I want purple and black!” 

“Oh, is that all?” He asked, running his hand over his gray beard. “Sure, that will be no problem at all.” He pulled out the requested colors as well as a bunch more. There were at least a dozen colors he pulled out. He handed them to Yumi, who put them in her magic storage.

I bounced in excitement at finally having more paints. “Thank you so much, Roland!”

He patted my head as everyone seemed to love doing. “It is no problem. Everyone would be happy to oblige when Your Highness can make a face like that. Now, I must be going.” He backed away before disappearing altogether.

When I finally returned to my room, I knew precisely what I wanted to paint. 

55