Chapter 5: Time for an adventure
493 3 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The doors themselves were nothing if not large. Even if all the imperial royals stood on top of each other or several feet apart, they would still be able to enter the door with ease.

They were covered in the colours of the empire. An orange ran like rays of concentrated sunlight across the door in no discernable pattern. Yet it made those who saw it for the first time feel as though there must be some sort of logic to it. As though leading them on a wild goose chase only to find they were running behind thin air the entire time.

Starkly contrasting the rays of sunlight was the sheer void of nothingness that surrounded the sun. Complete pitch blackness encompassed everything and felt as though stepping through the doors was an invitation to the void.

On each side of the door was a guard in a red and black uniform. Standard military attire. This meant they were no more than footsoldiers. Or it would. If not for the badge on their chests.

On each of their chests was but a single star. A single shining light in the void of space. This wasn’t a badge of leadership, you don’t look up at a single star. You admire it and hope to reach it yourself someday. An honour given to an outstanding soldier. Something expected of someone guarding the imperial family.

Aside from their badges, the guards were completely the opposite of each other. The guard on the right was most distinguishable by the wrinkles across his face. His skin sagged as though part of his face had moved on and the rest of his skin had decided to stay behind. His hair and eyes were a sturdy brown and gave off the impression of a grand mesa canyon. Deep, rocky and set in their ways.

His eyes did not roam. He only looked towards the approaching group, no suspicion, fear or tensing of the muscles. He likely knew who they were and was just waiting for their approach. His stance was firm and he felt like an old oak tree. He had been here for years and his roots were deeply ingrained.

The left guard on the other hand, had no such wrinkles nor did their face sag. His skin had a healthy pink glow, his blue eyes aglitter with the indulgences of the young. Pride and conviction. His similarly brown hair though, was dull in comparison.

His eyes would dart around his surroundings, searching for anything of interest, any threat to his duties. His gaze would never linger in any one spot for long. Seeing nothing and moving on. He would repeat this loop over and over always coming back to Lilith and her group. He didn’t know them and suspicion filled his gaze, tenseness his features and alertness his expression. He was ready for action the moment they tried something hostile.

Seeing his look of caution Nadia had enough. Before she could say anything however the older guard greeted them courteously. He saluted three fingers to his heart and said “I Graham, star of the imperial army, greet your imperial highnesses. My apologies for my colleague, he is… uneducated.” Stated the older guard now known as Graham respectfully.

Hearing him the younger guard’s eyes widened but he quickly picked up what he was supposed to do and followed suite. “I Aaron, star of the imperial army, greet your imperial highnesses.” Said the young man, Aaron not quite keeping up but making his greeting with expected imperial pride.

“He is a star of the imperial army is he not? Do we not demand the best of all stars? Combat is important but respecting your masters is just as important if not more so.” Nadia rebuked harshly and Aaron’s eyes seemed to burn with fierce defiance.

The twins looked worried at Nadia’s harsh tone and Lilith could sense the tension in the air. If Nadia felt so inclined, she could have this man executed for his disrespect. Would Nadia actually do that? Her obsession with etiquette came after she got her lessons for the throne and Lilith wasn’t sure if she liked the change.

“My deepest apologies for his misconduct.” Graham replied humbly bowing his head in his partner’s stead. He still kept his spear ramrod straight in his grip as he did so however. Aaron scratched the back of his head as he saw his older colleague apologising for him. Some of the fierceness left his eyes but he was still not pleased.

“I shall make sure he memorises the members of the imperial family before you next meet if Your Highness would but forgive him this transgression.” Graham once again said humbly. He was taking on the responsibility for his junior. Responsibility Aaron was about to protest but was quickly silenced.

Nadia stared at him silently for several minutes. Aaron was the only one who didn’t seem to understand the dire circumstances he was currently in. A strange sort of silent pressure began to build in the room.

Lilith could see the conflict on Nadia’s face. On the one hand this man had violated some serious etiquette boundaries and annoyed her. On the other execution was cruel. The twins wouldn’t like the barbarity in empire executions. Nadia didn’t want to become a tyrant either.

Eventually Nadia spoke while staring directly into Aaron’s eyes. “You will teach him the names and appearances of imperial family by the time I come back to check up on him. I will then continuously do so every two weeks and I expect him to have learned the names and crests of all the powerful families in the empire and a few outside of it.” Nadia said icily.

Aaron seemed displeased that she was forcing him but Graham bowed his head and forced Aaron to do so as well. Seeing this, Nadia nodded satisfied. She then spoke once more.

“We will simply be going on an excursion. You may inform anyone who asks for our whereabouts as such.” Stated Nadia authoritatively as she brought her fan up to cover her mouth. Graham gave a deeper bow than he was supposed to as he realised the grace they had just been given.

The twins looked slightly scared and relieved that this was all over. They weren’t used to the politics this involved. They also rarely got to see Nadia’s training for the throne actually come into play. Lilith recognised the more ruthless side of her. The twins were just kids though and their sense of right and wrong can be rather stubborn.

Lilith was also relieved though for a different reason. She didn’t want Nadia to become a tyrant. Nadia was trying to get the throne because she believed Wyatt’s tyranny would affect her family. If she became a tyrant, she’d be inconsolable. Once she realised it any way.

“Of course your imperial highness” The two soldiers replied in unison tapping three fingers to their heart in a salute. Nadia nodded as though this was a matter of course and walked past them as they opened the door for her.

The twins looked anxiously at Lilith to see if they should follow and she nodded before hurrying them along. As they left, they could hear Graham chastising Aaron for his poor behaviour. They ignored it as best they could as their eyes adjusted to the light outside and the sight of the gardens.

The outside world was far different than inside the palace. They were still in the palace grounds by technicality but the amount of attention paid to the gardens was miniscule compared with the furnishings on display in the imperial palace.

The lines of rose bushes surrounding the royals certainly were carefully pruned and looked presentable to most people Lilith was sure. But the amount of effort spent pruning those bushes was nothing in comparison to the interior of the castle. The fact that the imperial family, known for their affluence, chose roses of all flowers told you a lot about their lack of care.

Roses were very easily attainable. They had no special meaning to the imperial family. They were even sold in common shops for a few less orion than a good tea set. Now to a common person, that was a lot of money. The fact that a common person could get something that was in the imperial palace at all however, spoke volumes about the lack of care on display.

The only place that was different was a few small plantations in the corner of the gardens. It was out of sight and seemingly inconsequential yet it was so much more diverse than anything else on display in the garden. It was filled with various herbs and flowers that Lilith could’ve identified if she actually saw them.

The owners of the plantation however, who happened to be walking right next to her, had already told her some of what was in the plantation. The first was filled with mint. Placed in full sun with moist but well-drained soil, the cool little herb was surprisingly popular among the staff, so the twins often used it to make up for their pranks.

The others contained a laundry list of the twins’ favourites. Foxgloves, St john’s wort and even Yarrow. It was a colourful little spectacle and the twins had boasted to Lilith about how they kept all the species in the same pot despite some of them being invasive.

They had to constantly cut them back and keep them under control. Lilith listened to them at the time because she was fascinated by the information. Her sister had heard a similar story but she only listened because the twins were passionate about it and thus didn’t remember much of their explanation.

Yet… Lilith sighed as she thought about the garden. The twins enjoyed it so much but they weren’t even given the time of day when they asked if they could maintain the palace gardens. They were children, but they had more expertise than most of the people who ordered around their few nature mages. It was just so lazy.

Lilith was sure that one of the countries they conquered had to have had some sort of rare flower, some botany kit or something that they could display in the gardens. Yet they chose to simply display a row of roses. Lilith looked over at the two people who would be most annoyed by this fact.

Cally was gritting her teeth as she walked. She had been convinced by her brother that this was just the state of things. She didn’t agree. Cally might’ve been a child but she was certain. If they would just listen to her this could be fixed. They were just children though. They couldn’t do anything.

Felis also looked melancholy at the state of the garden. His was a resigned acceptance however. He was just a child. Maybe in a few years he could do something about this. When one of his siblings becomes the emperor or empress. They’d let him tend the garden. He was sure.

Lilith and Nadia silently decided to get out of the palace gardens as fast as possible so they took the twins by the hands at a faster pace than usual and reached the gate that denied entry to the palace. Once again each side of the gate was guarded and this time the guards didn’t make any mistakes.

Nadia walked up to them and politely asked for a carriage to be brought around which they did and that was the end of that. Normally a servant’s job but they had just left a party. The royal family rarely employed servants, so the few they did have were often busy. Especially on party nights.

Lilith found it somewhat counter intuitive for a prosperous nation like the empire not to employ servants. She was a princess and she didn’t even get a personal maid to help with chores. She understood why they did it though.

Most of the imperial family was like Nadia. They were a group of ruffians, loving violence and being independent. There were a precious few cases like herself, who would actually require a personal maid if they had access to one.

She understood the history of it but Lilith still found it annoying. She had to suffer because of tradition. It didn’t endanger her life however and she’d never known what it was like to have a servant. Perhaps it could’ve been worse?

Since they would have to wait here for the carriage Lilith decided to start her explanation now. Lilith would likely end up teaching everyone present, including her sister and the guards. Mostly because Lilith’s research on magic was extensive.

The majority of people were uninterested in anything outside their own affinity. Nadia was included within this number. Lilith had given her a few small tidbits over the years pertaining to the other affinities. Ultimately however, Nadia only knew snippets.

The air affinity was her speciality and she had already taught Lilith everything she could about her own affinity. From which Lilith had made a number of inferences. Those inferences lead to further developments in Nadia’s abilities once revealed. At this point, Lilith was teaching Nadia about her own affinity.

“Would you like me to go over the possible affinity choices now?” Lilith asked and Cally started hopping excitedly on her feet. She turned to Lilith and started spewing words.

“This is where you tell us about how the wind element can create lightning storms and suffocate people with the flick of the finger. Or-or how about darkness being the element of evil, slowly corrupting all who come into contact with it but granting you amazing power! Like you can point to someone and say ‘I’ll take your life force.’ Then they just become a husk like ‘Sluuuurrrp’” Cally excitedly gestured, her stories coming to life through her.

‘That is so naive. I cannot blame her for that view but even those who do not study all there is in this world can surely learn this much? They are children. I suppose I should educate them.’ Lilith thought. She tried to remind herself that not everyone was interested in how the world worked. She knew she was abnormal. She just forgot sometimes.

“If it were that simple to kill someone, do you truly believe this continent would still contain life?” Lilith asked sternly. She knew several war-hungry generals who would use such an ability to destroy all life on the continent that didn’t belong to the empire. Lilith’s studies of human nature suggested they were a rather barbaric species when they did not reign in their instincts.

Hearing her comment, Nadia pulled a slight face. “Don’t be too harsh on them Lilith. They’re just kids, let them have their dreams.”

“Do you believe they should remain innocent for the rest of their lives? We are giving them what essentially amounts to a disguised and immediately threatening weapon. Before they even turn ten no less. I find some level of innocence shattering is inevitable?” Lilith asked and Nadia paused at that. She hadn’t thought of it that way.

While Nadia pondered that, Lilith decided to answer Cally’s unspoken query. “The genus are often referred to as the elements in works of fiction. That is not the correct term. The 6 Genus are fairly well known but the affinities within each are not.” Cally cocked her head and Lilith proceeded to think up an example.

“What do you believe is the designation of my own magic?” Felis thought about it for a moment but Cally was not so patient. She immediately raised her hand and shouted her answer loudly.

“Dark magic!” She declared every facet of her being exuding confidence. Confidence Lilith brutally shattered.

“Incorrect.” She declared definitively and Cally stood there stunned for a moment. Felis was still thinking but Cally wasn’t having it. She fought back at that assertion fiercely.

“What do you mean? You make shadows do funny things! That’s dark magic!” Cally once again confidently declared. She was once again shut down.

“My magic is referred to as shadow magic. In fact, I should perhaps tell you that dark magic does not actually exist.” Cally’s mouth flapped open and closed like a fish for a moment. While she was doing so, Felis spoke up.

“Shadow magic. Affinity?” He asked tilting his head. Lilith nodded in confirmation.

“Correct. Each Genus has three affinities. Dark magic does not exist but shadow, curse and corruption are all considered ‘dark magic’.” Lilith explained. As she did so, she noticed the carriage arriving.

“It appears we shall continue this discussion later. Shall we embark?”

The guard returned to his post as the carriage parked in front of the gates. He was panting slightly, his face red and his forehead filled with sweat. His partner gave him a re-assuring pat on the shoulder and informing him jovially on what he missed. This resulted in a few light jabs exchanged that the imperials didn’t pay much attention to.

The carriage was standard if decorated. All the people needed to know when looking at it was that it belonged to the imperial family. Nobody would dare attack such a carriage. Not to mention there aren’t actually many who would. The empire provides most of the goods, protection and trade for it’s vassal nations and they would be hard pressed to find a reason for revolution.

It was the standard design for the imperial family. All encompassing black with lines of sunlight running across it like veins. The doors had a depiction of the sun and moon on each side. The handles were a reflective gold that everyone but Lilith could see their own face in.

The steps that were placed below the carriage matched it’s design. Each step depicted a different planet except the last. Lilith was the only one to recognise them. The first was Venus, the second Mercury and the final one was left blank. Each of the royals stepped onto the carriage one at a time.

The driver was a kind looking older gentlemen. The muscles rippling under his shirt were only noticeable to the two adult royals. His clean shaven beard and small tufft of grey were quite distinctive. Nadia and Lilith smiled as they locked eyes with the man.

As they all stepped onto the carriage, they each greeted him in turn. The twins jumped the steps with a quick bounce and waved to the man with Cally saying “How’s life been demi-baldy?”. The driver simply gave her the grunt of an adult and nodded them back onto the carriage.

Next up was Nadia who simply gave the man a quick “It’s a pleasure to see you again, Master Eobard.” as she stepped gracefully into the carriage. He of course replied with the utmost courtesy.

“A pleasure young princess. It is lovely to see how you’ve grown.” His demeanour with Nadia was all dandy older gentlemen. Ever since Nadia did her etiquette lessons, he hadn’t changed. Despite this, Nadia still remembered the days with her drill instructor.

Next up was Lilith and she did as she often does. “Do you perhaps have any more books on the martial arts? I learned a fair amount from your training and the books themselves but I’m afraid I’m at an empasse on the topic.” Lilith admitted as she got inside. She was determined to learn the skill, even if she was too weak to actually use it.

“There is no peak in martial arts” He grinned back and Lilith took that as confirmation he had nothing else for her. A disappointment but not an unexpected one.

Once all the imperials were aboard, Eobard closed the door a little more forcefully than intended. He shrugged not really caring. He couldn’t break these doors if he tried, he’d be fine. He walked up to the driver’s seat and hopped up like a rabbit.

‘I’m still spry at my age, shows what good exercise does for ya’ He thought and with that he lashed the reigns and the two horses in front of him started their journey to the forest just outside the capital.

12