Ash and alliances
64 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The ash on the ground in front of her had been a valuable information resource about the changes monsters undergo as well as new means to counter them. This was partially due to the fact that she already knew bear biology. They were not terribly rare in the empire and she had been given one to dissect before so her comparison between this creature and the information from that experience was enlightening.

For example the added size. With extra space and weight most creatures would require more stability and muscle mass to lift that weight especially since the creature easily saw her running at top speed meaning it was likely B rank physical or higher.

Despite that little had changed within it’s physiology. There were some changes to it’s musculature but not nearly as drastic as required. Perfections to other functions were also made such as increased bone density in the skeleton, changes to the inner ear for balance, changes to the brain for the previously mentioned issue as well as increased perception, processing of information and significant changes to the pre-frontal cortex and sympathetic system.

The latter changes confirmed the theory she had discovered from the badger. It appeared their instincts and aggression had been enhanced via their brain and chemicals such as serotonin. Lilith’s theory about being a monster herself were thus flawed according to the current definition.

She was predatory but not aggressive and this difference in behaviour was likely due to the lack of any chemicals circulating through her body as described in the system explanation for undead. It was not something she had to experiment with as she could feel the difference so even her previously blind trust of the system could be excused in this instance.

Regardless with her theories confirmed she had disposed of the body as with many others before it so she began her return to the group. She could still hear their heartbeats and smell Claire with them.

Interestingly vampires had a unique smell. She had attempted to find the other members of her group by smell but found that while each person was unique they were incredibly similar in certain ways. They seemed to be grouped into: natural smells(Such as vegetables or fruits), meaty smells and though she occasionally found miscellaneous smells they were incredibly rare. Often they were better to her senses but she had never had time to investigate them.

In contrast a vampire seemed to have an undercurrent scent alongside that of a normal human. On the surface they were the same. Claire for example gave off the grassy, herb-like scent of some sham parlours. Sickeningly sweet and forcibly relaxing rather than naturally so.

Underneath that however was a smell that Lilith found strangely familiar. Not because she was used to the acrid, sour smell of decaying corpses or the dry but soft touch of ash though both were not new to her. It was a feeling akin to that she felt from her mother’s perfume. There were few who could afford it but those who did ingratiated themselves in a way they had not intended.

She could vividly remember following around a particularly distasteful woman like a duckling and receiving only scorn and violence in turn. It was the first experience that ensured she not trust her human instincts for they were clearly incorrect more often than not.

It was easy to hone in on that feeling and find those who bore the scent so she did so. She had been leaning into instinct more often as a vampire and she did not like it. The earlier incident was an example, one she was not quite certain she would repeat with a sound mind. Being in the position of prey had grated on her until she could no longer suppress the issue. This was more than just becoming a problem now.

Jacob and the remaining knights were a fair distance ahead so she would run into them later. They had likely escaped the forest by now. Claire and the group listening to her instructions however were only a short distance ahead and with Claire taking the same breaks as the humans…

She met eyes with her first but the knights were not far behind. A man sat in between the crook of two branches on a tree was the first to notice her and shouted “Lady’s back!” to everyone on the ground. Though some of the mages were a little hard of breath from the long trek and slightly increased walking pace those physically trained were not even breathing hard let alone ashen faced or wide eyed.

The expressions on their faces were complex. They were scrunched, pulled taught almost relaxed in some cases but with years interacting in the courts of the empire such blatant displays of emotion were fairly obvious to her.

Among them was a particularly expressive man who gave her a deep nod as soon as he saw her. His leg had a gash across it’s length. Nodding in return and pondering whether this was enough for the man to share her cause she spoke to the others. Their feelings were significantly less clear on the matter though not negative enough to censure her.

“I do not need to explain my actions so I shall not. I could repeat my pitch but the event is fresh and any words I say now will do little more than irritate you. I shall ensure we meet with your captain shortly and then retire for the day.” She looked each in the eye as she spoke.

Satisfied that no rebuttals were coming forthwith she walked forwards and started commanding the knights to stand in formation once more. The roles were unbalanced now with far more physical individuals than mages but she placed the mages in the centre along with her while placing Claire on the outside with the physical fighters. No one questioned this choice.

They did not walk so much as march swiftly after the knights had been organised. This was partially because they had ground to cover and daylight was approaching too swiftly for Lilith’s liking but also because they would not want Jacob to declare them dead and therefore confuse the gatekeepers.

None of the knights had expressed concern that she would not be able to keep up with their swift march and they were correct. The mages were lightly panting by the time they reached the edge of the forest. By contrast, apart from a few extra dents and missing weapons from monsters the physical knights were largely in good form.

Surprisingly they found Jacobs group panting and heaving at the edge of the forest. There were some injuries among them, though none major, and Lilith counted precisely the same amount of knights who had left.

Their lookout was half-asleep in a tree near the edge and did not appear to recognise their group’s presence until someone shouted they saw something. The voice startled her awake and looking down she saw an entire army on their doorstep. She nearly fell out of the tree upon recognising the sight but calmed when she saw the armour they wore and the faces among their ranks.

She shouted that the other knights had returned and Jacob was the first to snap his head in their direction upon hearing the news. His eyelids were drooping when their gazes met. Moments later they shot open and a mix of emotions ran through them.

The knights were leaning their backs against nearby trees, sitting on stumps or even just sitting on the muddy ground sullying their armour. Jacob was sitting on a stump of his own overlooking it all. Even he was tired from the running, still breathing heavily if he could have taken his armour off he would have. Still he gestured her over and she took the invitation.

She sat down next to him for courtesy’s sake and turned to face him. The stump he sat on was large enough for the two of them and dry though that seemed as though it would change in a few minutes. Looking up to the sky she only saw a gathering of dark grey clouds.

If they hurried it might be possible for them to return before what was apparently a storm hit. She would have to get used to smelling an oncoming storm. It would be best if she could determine the level of severity before it hit and therefore the level of preparation required to endure or thrive through the experience.

Her thoughts escaping her were thankfully not obvious on her face as Jacob began to speak. “I… am not entirely sure what to make of this situation.” He admitted with characteristic honesty. Lilith approved though said nothing to the effect.

“My honour demands I apologise for my incompetence. I noticed when I looked back. We were the targets and I don’t know why it was fixated or how you stopped it but the fact that you did deserves both my gratitude and an admission of failure on my part. I refuse to become too proud not to say it outright so thank you and I am sorry.”

Lilith only nodded in return before he continued. “On the other hand you are a civilian who disobeyed the orders of trained personnel making the knights look cowardly and dishonourable while risking lives for the sake of your selfish desire for a new organisation.”

She stared at him for a moment but seeing that he met her gaze and did not look away only nodded. “I admit my concerns were largely self-oriented but the task would have been done regardless of my presence. I do not enjoy people who attempt to observe or improve an industry only to disturb the workflow. Even security measures should be implemented strictly alongside progress rather than in the way of it if there is any possibility.”

“You consider yourself a security measure?” He asked but seemed to regret it as soon as the words left him. Lilith did not scowl or show any particular reaction. This unfortunately, only made him regret the choice all the more.

“You do not?” She asked in the same tone that implied incredulity but remained a calm rebuke. “How many knights would have died today without my assistance? How many more monsters will we find turned from animals that were already a minor problem for the citizenry? Think of what a swarm of mosquitoes could do with combustion magic? What a spider would be like when it becomes taller than our walls?”

“This is the beginning, not the end Jacob.” She said making him flinch slightly at the mention of his name. “This disaster is not a single powerful burst, more races are being born, more monsters being enhanced and I am fairly certain the cycle will continue perpetually. We need not adapt to the current circumstances, we must adapt to change.”

“If you weren’t the former princess I’d think you hale from Tritan. ‘prepare for the apocalypse’” Jacob responded, dragging a smile onto his face. The last quote was slightly shrill and mocking but calm enough to carry resolve. “Perhaps we need someone a tad more cautious if you want to be a ‘security measure’. As it is we are barely keeping our head above water. The population is decreasing rapidly and we still haven’t been able to contact the other cities. I do all I can to help. Honestly though I see that it’s not enough, there just isn’t anything else I can do.” He explained.

“I believe a list was given to Douglas of the cities known to still stand. He shall likely reveal that fact in due time. Currently however I would not mind summarising the most important of the cities that still stand and their situations.” Lilith responded.

He turned to her and nodded his face firm. “That would be appreciated.” He chuckled and it held a significant helping of self-derision. “When I was a kid I’d always promised myself I’d take pride in my work but never so much that I didn’t ask for help. I didn’t expect to be swinging a sword, sure, but the promise still holds weight to me.”

“I won’t join your organisation. I’ve made my vows and I intend to stick with them. But I know a few people who are not satisfied with how the knights do our work and will happily send them your way. In exchange I want enough information from you that this incident never happens again.” He looks out at his exhausted men.

Lilith feels a certain creeping in the back of her awareness and looks up to the sky. It was now incredibly bright and that flaming ball was soon to appear. She needed to disappear by that point. She looked over at Claire and sure enough the woman was also getting restless, looking towards the town and her. While her face was expressionless the gaze told everything she needed to know.

She turned back to Jacob and answered quickly but not hurriedly. “That is acceptable. I do not intend to hold the incident over your head nor do I intend to waste lives so uselessly simply because I would not share the information.” Then she got up and started walking towards the city gates Claire in tow.

Behind her she reminded “Do tell me the results of the interrogation. It should not be hard to find my location but please send someone at night.”

0