A deal and a swim
60 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Oops... I had this done but never bothered to post it. I've been thinking about my schedule recently and kinda mixed thinking about it for actually doing it and... oops. Well at least I remembered before tomorrow. It's still the same day right?

Perhaps she should not be surprised that she remained seated in absolute stillness for long enough for her thoughts to settle. Darren was not particularly fond of her last they’d met. Still the man was punctual by habit so it was surprising that he had not arrived at a reasonable hour. She did not set a specific time so she cannot castigate him for the offence but it was perhaps the first time he had not matched her schedule well.

Hearing the knocks on the door and subsequent welcome from Claire mixed with complete silence from their guest had not been a particularly encouraging start to the proceedings. Nevertheless when the door opened he did not look around and snort.

He merely sat straight in the seat across from her and their gazes met in complete silence for some seconds. He sat rigidly with his back straight and hands intertwined in his lap, not so much as twitching. She recognised the stillness in his posture though his chest still expanded and his eyes still blinked. She mirrored the position placing hands in her lap but she did not breathe or blink.

If this were simply a matter of a business deal with a stranger she may have ensured he remain as comfortable as possible. Provided refreshments, mirrored behaviours exactly, leaned back with an open posture. He was not a stranger however and a number of emotions were involved.

Which was why she decided this was not the time for efficiency. As much as she would like to remain in control and discuss the most efficient terms this was not a negotiation. It was luring someone hostile into a sense of uneasy security and unfortunately her predatory side was far better at seeming just innocuous enough to be comfortable and just unusual enough to be terrifying.

She considered letting the silence fester but her first impulsive thought was to speak. She hesitated for only a second but eventually she gave in and let her mind guide the impulses to the meeting’s conclusion. So she spoke as softly as she could.

“I shall be straightforward as you have often been with me. It would be tedious and inefficient to… If I remember correctly Nadia once used the phrase ‘jump through the hoops of nobility’ with a commoner.” She began gently attempting to ease into the conversation with a pleasant topic of family.

He remained silent across from her so she continued. “I am attempting to make a reconciliation of sorts-” She had thought the wording appropriate but the moment she said that he responded, cutting her off with a sharp remark.

“You couldn’t just apologise? Say you’re sorry and get to what you really want from me Lilith.” His voice was not warm but cold. A deep thrum backed his voice like the crackle of a fireplace. He tapped his index finger against his hand which was perhaps meant to convey impatience but she only saw suspicion and fear.

She could not apologise. That would imply wrongdoing. Lilith shook her head and replied “Reconciliation is better done with actions than words.” Not entirely a lie. “I intend to build a hospice of sorts here in Marinez.” She stated and he immediately leaned over, hands clenched.

“Why tell me?” He asked, jaw set once he had asked his question. She leaned forward as well to mirror his position. His hands were by his sides clinging to his seating arrangements and creasing the fabric. She did not copy that motion. Instead she left her hands in her lap and tapped her nails together to make a harsh grating sound to keep herself focussed.

“Because I intend for you to run it.” She replied and his eyes widened but she did not stop there. She would not reveal her interest yet. “So long as you remain within the allotted budget I shall give you full freedom.”

He leaned back in his chair as though she had shoved him and his face contorted into a number of half-expressions that did not fit his face. His brows furrowed, his eyes narrowed, his lips seemed to try and escape him as they curled into a smile before he dragged them back down. He settled for squinting at her and she could tell he had processed his interest in the deal. Now was time for hers.

She waited for him to ask aloud however in case he did not have the courage. He did. “What do you get out of this?” He asked suspicion a discordant note in a symphony of joy and confusion. He looked over at her, tense. She should lean back now but she would not.

Instead she remained hunched forward, almost immobile with her hands the only sound in the room for a few moments before she replied. “I require full access to all assets, patients and buildings included.” He continued to squint but his body was no longer tense despite the look in his eyes and the finally controlled expressions on his face.

Then he tensed again. “Are you going to use the terminally ill for your experiments?” He asked his face going just as pale as her own. “Will I have to watch as you drag off people like Amber so you can dissect them or… or” His hands clenched but his face was still white.

“I am truly impressed with your imagination.” She said, her voice slightly airy and amused. Moments later she shook her head. “I can say with certainty that I do not require more test subjects and the terminally ill are not a particularly abundant population regardless. I assure you, if they leave your care they will know the reason, have agreed to do so and will not be treated as expendable.” Her voice was harder when she spoke this time, an attempt at a re-assuring, sturdy promise.

His arms relaxed at his sides and his face started to regain colour but he was still staring at her. To ensure no further paranoid delusions she decided to ask a question. “Does it matter what I want here?” She asked refusing to feign confusion but easily injecting curiosity.

He stared at her, no comprehension behind his eyes. She continued “I am giving you an opportunity to help people like Amber.” Her voice was airy again, almost a whisper. “You will save a great many lives that would have faded without your help. They will be comfortable. Happy. Perhaps some may even want to go on an adventure of their own. You could take them.” Her voice sent a tingle down his spine now. They were not far away from each other and it felt almost as though she were whispering in his ear.

This is going to proceed, with or without you. Would it not be best for you to ensure some are saved? Perhaps I have a wicked scheme and you can minimise the damage? Or perhaps I am making amends and you are snapping an olive branch?” He swallowed but sat up straight once more.

He gave a deep, slow nod and his eyes burned in a way they had not before. “I shall help everyone I can.” He declared, features set and she smiled at him but controlled her expression to not make it too wide, too unsettling.

“Most excellent.” She replied.

🦇🦇🦇

Lilith walked down the wooden extension of the northern district atop the water. She made slight thumps with her steps but they were barely noticeable. Silver strands blew into her face and she brushed them aside only for the few red strands to take their place.

Seagulls squawked above her but none dared approach, though they would find nothing of interest on her person regardless. The wind whipped waves up and onto the planks beneath her though none reached her feet. They almost shied away from her as they receeded. All was silent but for the sounds of nature and the light thumping of her feet on the wood beneath her.

It would not remain so for long however as she believed this was the designated location. She stood relatively still once she determined as such. Her chest still moved and she still blinked because she was in public. Not that she could hear any other active heartbeats for quite some distance.

The stillness did not last for long however as soon another, much less silent, figure approached her from the opposite direction from that which she appeared. The approaching figure shuffled carefully along the slightly wet planks ensuring they did not slip. The moment their black eyes met Lilith’s gaze however they were significantly less careful as they moved more swiftly.

This almost resulted in a slip from which they caught themselves before continuing to move slightly slower, though still faster than before their gazes met. Once they had caught up they just stood there silently looking at her with their glistening grey skin and deep black orbs.

Lilith allowed a small smile onto her face. “What marvel of the sea shall you show me this time?” She asked and observed very carefully the muscles that reacted on Zilla’s face afterwards. It was remarkably difficult to find any emotion among her facial features other than joy but the overlapping image of her a month or so earlier made the expression seem like a theatre’s mask.

“Not much not seen on the survace” Zilla replied and Lilith once again memorised the expression and matched it to a memory. She would understand them eventually. The words however gave her an opportunity to share something.

“Then do not take me to the surface.” Lilith replied and she memorised Zilla’s widened eyes and the slight change near her forehead that might indicate concern on a dolphin. “I am fairly certain I may now survive an underwater environment with very little inconvenience.” She reassured as she saw that expression.

Zilla’s entire top half seemed to relax and her skin seemed to shine a little brighter as she replied “I’ll show you!” She tried to use a fin to grab on to Lilith’s arm but it just slid off. Nonetheless Lilith grabbed a hold of the fin, not allowing herself to be dragged but following along willingly.

Lilith had always been particularly poor with balance before but now it was significantly improved. The few times Zilla slipped she held her up by a fin, a supporting hand on Zilla’s back lest she rip the limb off. She barely seemed to notice as she just continued running to the edge of the wooden platform then slipped off and into the water.

This time Lilith did not hold her on land and followed after. She barely felt the cool water surround her but the sudden buoyancy did spark some curiosity about her own weight at the moment. She had more immediate concerns however as Zilla swam around her like an excited child with a new toy.

Lilith attempted to follow suit but despite her likely higher physical stat she could not match the pace at which she darted through the water nor were her movements graceful in the slightest. One of the first skills Zilla had helped her learn was swimming and Lilith’s vision made it surprisingly easier to learn.

Despite that and the occasional visits to the duchy during which she practised her swimming form was still human. Her arms dug through the water like a trowel through mud. Her swinging legs gave her propulsion but it was akin to standing on a wagon and blowing backwards with wind magic.

No small gust could push that much weight in any efficient manner and her legs were a similarly inefficient form of propulsion. She required a larger surface area and she had an idea to do so. First however she turned to Zilla and put her hand up palm facing outwards, telling her to stop. Then she brought her index finger up to her lips and pushed away before closing her fist and shaking it.

Zilla nodded but she was not finished. She brought two fingers to her eyes then turned them around and spun them before placing her hand flat horizontally, bringing a lone index finger in front of it. She wanted Zilla to check if they were alone.

The odonkin nodded once then moved fast enough for Lilith to barely recognise her camouflaged form against the rays of moonlight from above, even with her sight. The wait was not particularly long before she returned and gave the all-clear. Upon receiving confirmation Protrusions ripped through the back of her clothes and a pair of large wing membranes appeared.

Zilla’s eyes widened as Lilith used the appendages like fins, gliding through the water with ease now that her wings were free. Strengthened in the same way her body was, they could handle the stress of underwater movement.

Zilla swam around her and observed the wings in action as they glided. She was still faster. She did not touch them despite no resistance on Lilith’s part and swam in a certain direction once she was satisfied. Lilith followed soon after though Zilla still circled around her and seemed to swim in front of her just as a provocation and a bit of fun. Lilith let herself play the predator with her and chased when she got too close.

1