Chapter 35: At Least I Made a New Fairy Friend
127 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sareneth 25, evening

Around an hour later, Cog’s crossed arms and raised eyebrow informed me that I was not making a good impression. The throng of people spilled into the hallway, ranging from Conchobar’s diminutive frame to Owlbear’s hulking mass. My quarters could generously be called cozy, and I realized far too late that my friends wouldn’t fit.

Thank you all for coming on such short notice.” I said quietly, “now that we are all here, I can show you to my new office where there’s quite a bit more space.” 

I had only seen the store room in passing, but as quartermaster I had the key. The mass of people shifted to my new domain, where they each found their seats on the boxes of sailcloth, coils of rope, and barrels of tar. We stayed relatively quiet, but the ship is a small place and at least one scarred pirate saw us on his way to take a leak.

As long as we aren’t immediately accused of mutiny, we should be ok. If they give us that little bit of breathing room, everything should work out. 

“So,” I began, “I called you all here because I like you and I trust you, at least enough to tell you a dangerous secret. I think we might be serving under a murderer.”

No one seemed particularly shocked by this revelation. Syl stared at me steadily, while Rosie shifted uncomfortably. Owlbear looked around nervously while frowning.

“Obviously. We’re on a pirate ship.” Cog said, rolling his eyes, “that’s a pretty big accusation to toss around, if you mean something unsanctioned.”

“I hear you,” I assured them, “but no, I don’t have any proof. I saw a rash on one of his victims when we were taking this ship. It lined up pretty well with the one that almost killed Jakes and he seemed pretty upset when Sandara saved Jakes from a fight. I don’t want to do anything reckless, though. I’m not proposing a mutiny based on this. Just that we watch out for one another and be ready if things do escalate.”

There’s a lot more, but almost all of it has just been vibes. It would weaken my argument to lean into calling him a dick. 

“What does that even mean?” Conchobar asked, exasperated, “I’ve been keeping my head down. Honestly I think we should just leave when we get to another port; the captain doesn’t have enough people to keep anyone that doesn’t want to stay.”

“It’s certainly tempting, and I’d support anyone who wants to try that.” I answered. “As to what it means? Try to stay with other people in this group, or people you trust. If you hear a scuffle, draw attention to it. Be alert, and know that retaliation might happen. More than anything, keep your ears open and share anything unusual you hear. I’m not offering much, but I’m not asking much either.”

“Yeah, it seems wise enough.” Syl commented, “Even if you turn out to be paranoid about Plugg, we can’t afford to lose any crew. We’re already undermanned and on a new ship, right?”

“Eh, undermanned is a strange word.” Sandara responded, “a storm might be rough, but just three proper sailors could keep this ship afloat all the way to port if the weather holds. Good way to run them ragged, admittedly.”

“Still, not something any reasonable member of the crew wants to try.” I said. “So let’s do our best to keep the peace.”

I turned to Rosie first, and said “Deal?” She nodded her agreement, as I’d expected. She was probably the most altruistic on the ship, from what I’d seen. Conchobar came next, and didn’t want to look weak next to Rosie. Owlbear served to provide contrast to the little folk. Syl had never been in doubt, but I didn’t want to choose her first since she was known to be close with me. Sandara had been a concern, but my proposal fit into Besmara’s teachings neatly. Cog didn’t want to stand out by being the only dissenting voice, which is why I’d turned to him last.

“Alright, good talk.” I said, clapping my hands once, “The ships are splitting off in the morning, so I won’t keep you all up any longer. I’d appreciate it if you kept my suspicions under wraps, but if there’s anyone you think is trustworthy we could always use another set of open eyes to keep the peace. Syl, could you stay behind?”

The assembly dissolved, returning to the crew berth with pensive expressions. Syl folded her arms and waited.

I don’t know for certain if I can trust anyone else completely, but I think I’m on the same page with Syl. 

“So, I’d like to bounce a few ideas off of you.” I said once the rest were gone. “You up for it?”

“Sure.” She answered, “is this going to be a late night? If so, I’ll want that spell sooner rather than later.”

“Do you mind if I hold off on that?.” I said. “I think I’m going to try another summoning later; if something goes wrong I’d need to renew it.”

“Fine.” She answered. “So, what are you keeping from the rest? I’m pretty sure they’ll just assume we are trying out that new bed of yours.”

“Well, we can come back to that if the mood takes us.” I assured her with a smile. “Business first. I really do think Plugg is willing to kill, and I don’t think he likes me very much.”

“You don’t say?” Syl answered dryly, “was it lying to him from the moment you met, or was it when you meddled with a rather neat murder attempt? Or maybe he’s enough of a narcissist to blame you for Scourge almost being keelhauled?”

“Probably just because I’m prettier than him,” I joked, before taking a deep breath, “It barely matters. He’s someone who is willing to kill people that slight him, and Harrigan isn’t holding his leash anymore. I’m apparently promising, but I doubt Harrigan would give it a second thought if Plugg said I fell off the boat.”

“So you’re surrounding yourself with living shields?” She asked steadily.

“Maybe.” I answered, feeling a weight settle in my gut. “I don’t want to die and I don’t want to be a slave. I don’t think that’s unreasonable.”

“It’s not.” Syl agreed, “Don’t be surprised if someone gets hurt, though.”

“I’ll pay them back if I can.” I promised, “but right now, I need to figure out how to be ready if things do escalate. If I shoot first, it’s my fault even if he would have killed me eventually. I’m still new to this code thing, but keeping the peace while you’re at sea is basically rule one with Besmara.”

“And you don’t want to piss off Sandara.” Syl said, “that tracks. Probably not Besmara either, but I think people overstate how often the gods seek vengeance. If they actually cared that much about disrespect, I don’t think Rahadoum would still be around.”

“Or anyone else on the ship.” I clarified, “I get the impression most people here are at least a little Besmaran.”

The things Besmara forbids mostly seem like practical advice for how to be a successful pirate at a ship level. Maintain peace on the ship, go all in, and work together. It’s the default social contract. Breaking it could cause chaos with anyone I’m not personally friends with. 

Syl grunted, but didn’t disagree.

“So, what’s the plan?” Syl asked, “I really hope we aren’t just going to wait and see.”

“No. I was hoping we could brainstorm some ways to even the odds.” I suggested. “Anything to make sure that he doesn’t have all the cards.”

“Eliminating his strongest supporters would work, but it might escalate things too quickly.” She said, a bit too casually. “Do we actually know what he’s capable of? If not, that's one hell of a place to start.”

Based on his affinity for chelish culture and possession of the ceramic seal stolen by Jakes, Plugg may be what is known as a spirit binder. This style of magic, popular in Cheliax, involves inviting unusual beings known as Spirits or Vestiges to temporarily invest a shadow of their essence into the user. Despite the intimate connection, it is generally considered less risky than making pacts with devils. (Knowledge: Arcana 8+8=16)

“I think I know what kind of magic he uses, but I don’t know what he can do with it.” I answered, “it’s called spirit binding. It works differently from my magic.”

“Planar bullshit.” She groaned. “That’s a style of magic that tends to come with a lot of reference materials. Maybe you can sneak into his library, if you can be sure about avoiding notice.”

“Yeah, I think I can manage that.” I mused, “anything else?”

“If we can take out his allies or get them on our side, that’d be great.” She suggested. “Better to start nonlethally, though.”

“Lethal is on the table?” I asked nervously.

“Probably.” She confirmed. “I don’t like it, but there’s a lot of people who’d kill us for even considering mutiny. Caulky might be one of them. Think you can get her on our side with your magic fingers?”

“Seriously?” I sputtered, “that’s your strategy?”

“I don’t really want her dead.” She forged on with a shrug, “seducing a girl barely old enough to attend university is a bit scummy, but it’s better than killing her and a lot better than dying to her.”

“You make it sound so clinical,” I complained.

“It is a clinical decision.” She shot back, “It’s not like I’m getting off on the idea, even if she is cute. What, do you want me to dress it up all sexy?”

“Go ahead,” I said, smirking, “I’d love to hear it.”

“Alright.” She stood and walked up to whisper in my ear, tracing one finger along my collarbone. “Convinced or not, she won’t be able to stop us if you fuck her until she can’t stand.”

“You have my attention.” I told her. “Do you want to continue this discussion on my bed?”

“You’d like that, wouldn’t you?” She asked, smiling. “Why should I?”

I leaned in close and smiled.

“The rumors that we’re together are already everywhere.” I argued, “might as well enjoy the scandal, if we can’t stop the rumor mill anyway.”

“Sure.” She chuckled, “I’ll accept that as an answer.”

“I really do need to summon first, though.” I admitted sheepishly. “I know it’s a mood killer.”

“Don’t worry, I’m sure you can make it up to me.” She said dryly, taking me by the arm. “The real trouble comes if you actually manage to summon anything.”

••••••••••

The next day, the Man’s Promise split off from the Wormwood. Plugg, as a proud new captain, micromanaged the crew on deck and shouted orders so loud that I could hear him from the store room. I had work to do, in theory, making sure nothing was stolen during the morning rush. I intended to neglect my duties, knowing that I could check the inventory while everyone else slept. I had far more interesting things planned.

I cleared out an empty space in the center of the room, and with an effort of Will called forth a small rift to the First World, the land of the Fey. Slowly, a silhouette of sparkling green and gold mist formed in the prepared space. In a heartbeat, at precisely the ten minute mark, the silhouette formed into a graceful green skinned woman. 

https://www.patreon.com/posts/99190849

The tiny woman, not even knee high, was bright green and dressed in a red Shackles Style corset and skirts. There were a few adjustments, of course. The fabric appeared to be made from layers of shredded leaves, for one, and her bodice was backless to make room for her delicate insect-like wings. In addition to her bright red clothes, the small Fae was equipped with a needle sized rapier and a glare nearly as sharp. She pointed both directly at my face.

“How dare you, sir!” She raged in a tinkling, bell like voice, “You will explain yourself!”

I wasn’t brushed up on my courtly fey etiquette, so I let Autopilot handle the word smithing.

“I give you my sincerest apologies and this token of my esteem.” I placed a gold coin before her, taking a knee respectfully. “If I had a manner to communicate with you and your peers before calling you to my presence, I assure you I would use it. I am Emrys M’Dair, and I wish to treat with you.” (Diplomacy 14+7=21 Success) 

She was somewhat mollified by both the bribe and my apologetic tone, and sheathed her sword with a flourish.

Oh thank the gods. This is a better reaction from either of the two last night. She hasn’t challenged me to a duel to the death even once!

“You have my ear, sir M’Dair, but know that my patience is already tested by this intrusion.” She spoke haughtily, despite her tiny size. “Speak quickly and plainly, if you please.”

Of course,” I assured her, “I have heard that Atomies can sometimes be persuaded to serve as sentries or bodyguards among the fey. I need a trustworthy guardian and ally, and I would know how your help might be earned.”

“I see.” She answered, looking me up and down. “You do have the body of one not overly hardened by battle. What need have one such as you for my companionship?”

Not cool, I’ve needed to add weight to my workout twice since I got here. I think elves might just be skinny. 

I am currently forced to toil for the man who commands this ship.” I explained. “I do not wish to do battle with him as I am now, for his allies outnumber mine two to one. I wish to investigate his quarters and seek knowledge of the magic he wields, that I might face him armed with any weaknesses he may have.”

“I see.” She nodded sympathetically, “it is a worthy cause, to liberate oneself from unjust bondage. I shall not chastise your impertinence overmuch.”

I have little to offer you.” I said, “If you were to give me your name and consent, I would call you in the future with an appropriate gift or service at the ready.”

“I am Dame Dierdre,” she introduced herself, “and I will allow it. I would ask that you prepare a feast for me of sweet foods and musical entertainment, that I might be properly compensated for my time.”

When next I call upon thee, I will ensure you are received with proper pomp and circumstance.” I intoned. “Would it be presumptuous of me to ask for your aid this day?” 

“No, you may ask.” She nodded tolerantly, “your circumstances do seem somewhat dire.”

I would ask that you monitor the movements of the officers upon the deck, in particular Captain Plugg and his Bosun Scourge.” I asked, allowing the magic of the summoning to do its work. “Should they leave the deck for any reason, I would ask that you promptly inform me so that I may evade their detection. To preserve my secrecy, you would need to avoid general notice by the crew. At sun down today, I would consider your part complete.”

(Opposed charisma check. 11+4=15)

(Target’s charisma check. 9+4=13) 

“Very well. It shall be done.” She agreed, sealing our pact.

As long as she was in the mortal world, she would be bound to the letter of the pact. For some beings you would need to be extremely careful with your exact words, but Atomies were known for their honorable nature. She would keep to the spirit of our agreement, unless Autopilot’s knowledge check had missed something vital or she was a particularly untrustworthy example of her species.

We walked together down the hall to the captain’s chambers, after which Dame Dierdre zipped away to handle her part in my scheme. I popped the basic lock easily enough with a long pin; the former captain of this ship had probably relied more on discipline and good pay than physical barriers to control his crew. (Disable Device 9+6=15)

I allowed autopilot to investigate; as a general rule he seemed to hone in on relevant things more quickly than I did. While he meticulously searched for anything incriminating or useful, I scrolled back through my log to review last night’s knowledge checks.

While I pondered that, Autopilot rifled through Plugg’s possessions, attempting to return them to approximately where they originally were as he went. Plugg had a few medallions like the one he’d nearly killed Jakes over, each etched with a network of lines attuned to a spirit. They had no innate magical aura, so I assumed they were more like a reference, a tool to aid in his craft. 

Try to identify them. Not with detect magic, just try to find out what the spirits associated with these things do. Cross reference them with what we’ve seen; we know he can summon fire, make aboleth slime, and turn into a sea monster guy. 

I scrambled for his trunk, filled with books. If I could find a text with which to identify spirits, I would know the properties of his favored spirits. He could of course bind different entities if he chose, but it seemed doubtful he would upend his routines for no reason. I retrieved a Chelish treatise on known Vestiges titled “the Book of Lost Souls” and searched for the seals. 

Alas, it’s contents remained impenetrable to me for several minutes of searching. The first of the seals did not seem to match any of those depicted, at least not perfectly. (Knowledge Arcana with reference material 6+8+2=16. Fail.) I had nearly despaired when I saw a reference to aboleths in a list of names of forbidden spirits.

Vishgurv, Abberant of Time Eternal

Entity forbidden by Order of King Gaspodar for its disruptive nature over a century ago. Believed to be a powerful aboleth nearly killed during Earthfall, which survived as a spirit through esoteric means. Novice binders compromised by this entity will spread its influence to other binders at any cost. Signs of this influence, when unchecked by standard procedures, include bulging eyes and webbed fingers and toes. Should you identify a binder using this spirit, do not engage and report them to the nearest chapterhouse of the Hellknight orders.

That’s probably a bad sign. He doesn’t seem to have the webbed fingers thing going on so he’s not possessed or anything, but it sounds like he’s playing with fire.

I was interrupted by a tapping at the window. I looked up, and saw a very small, very pretty green woman pointing up at the deck. Needing no further explanation I hurriedly put back the book and medallions approximately where I found them, (Stealth 3+9=12) I belatedly realized that I didn’t know how to lock the door again, since I didn’t have a key. I didn’t have time either way, so I jogged back to the store room. I let my mind wander as I handed Fipps a sandstone slab to scrape the deck with, and prayed that this fact finding mission wouldn’t massively backfire.

Hopefully he’s inattentive. That, or I can gaslight him. Not the most productive trip either, unless… hey, Autopilot, what can you tell me about Vishgurv’s abilities now that we have a name?

Vishgurv is a forbidden spirit, but grants unique abilities that make him useful enough for many to flaunt the rule. Like most spirits, he grants between five and seven abilities depending on the skill of the user. (Knowledge Arcana 18+8+2=38)

Knowledge checks are such bullshit. You didn’t even know how pact magic worked five minutes ago. 

Vishgurv’s 5 primary abilities in ascending order of power are as follows: 

He grants insight into magical items, providing a notable bonus to Spellcraft and Use Magic Device skill checks. 

He makes the binder fully amphibious, equally able to breathe air or water and exceptionally skilled at swimming. 

He allows the binder to secrete aboleth slime, which can be deadly but also has relatively little immediate effect on most targets, only staggering them for a single round. 

He grants the binder the ability to become a large fishman known as a Skum, granting them claws and enhancing their physical strength and bulk at the cost of charisma. 

Finally, he can quickly resurrect a binder who dies while bound to him. They will reform in a nearby body of water in the body of a young adult Gillman. In return for this substantial boon, he forces the binder to remain bound to him for a year and a day submitting to his physical and mental influence. The mental influence primarily manifests as a compulsion to convince others to bind Vishgurv by any available means. It can be resisted, but doing so is unpleasant; equivalent to a perpetual mild flu. Death within this year functions normally. 

Oh come on! He gets an auto-revive? I guess assassination is off the table even if I felt up for it. 

 0
5