Chapter 1. Culture System
526 5 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I'm sorry but you have failed the entrance exam to the Spirit Academy of Mages and Cultivators."

A scrawny looking man who was one of the employees of the academy said as he looked at the student in front of him. 

Every year, thousands of people would try to enter the academy from all over the Kingdom, but only a few lucky ones would get in. It was one of the strongest places of learning in the region alongside the Cloudy Heaven Sect. 

The student in front of him was the same. He had tried to enter the academy and although his marks in the written examinations were good, he had failed to even pass the first stage of the practicals—The most important thing. 

He was just too weak and had no prospects of any talent. 

Normally, people like him would be the most frustrated and sad about being rejected, especially because the student looked like he was from a good family.

The student wore clothes that were made up of silk and had long, black hair alongside a handsome face. 

The scrawny looking employee had seen tons of people like that who think that coming from a good family meant that they were destined to touch the clouds. 

Even around him, there were students who still looked sad because they had been rejected. Some were even bawling their hearts out. 

But in front of him, there was a wide smile on the face of the rejected student. 

"It's okay, I understand." He simply said as he stood up from the desk. 

"Wait!" The employee called out, not expecting him to accept his rejection in such a joyous manner. "You can try out next year, maybe you will be able to pass that time. Failing once or twice isn't a big deal."

"No thanks. I have better things to do now."

The student simply said that and strolled off the premises of the academy, not caring about the result whatsoever. 

"I was about to give him some motivational words but that guy looked too happy to be rejected. Did he get some trauma after getting rejected?"

The employee muttered as he looked at the information of the student that was placed on his desk. 

Reading it, a look of realisation dawned upon his face. He finally understood who the student was. 

"Even if he didn't get trauma from the entrance exam, he surely is not able to get over what happened with his family."

Looking up at the ceiling, the employee simply closed his eyes and muttered a prayer to the heavens for the student. 

It was due to the fact that the student's name was Wang Kai, the last surviving member of the Wang clan which was one of the top clans that lived in Mist City. 

Though, it would be better to regard the clan as a fallen clan now. 

***

Wang Kai got into the horse carriage that was here to pick him up and take him to the family estate. Sitting in the carriage, he looked at the scenery outside. 

He could see shops selling different kinds of things and even food carts, selling street food. People lined up as they checked upon the times and the whole place was bustling with life. 

The roads were constructed with cobblestones, giving the city a much more European vibe than what Kai was expecting. Though, he did like the overall look of the city. 

Mist City was one of the more developed cities in the region and held a special place in the Leon Kingdom. It was called the 'Academy City' for obvious reasons. 

One of the reasons was also that the city was just beside the Cloudy Heaven Sect, the other place of learning for people who were trying to tread upon the path of sages and cultivators. 

So, one would often encounter a mage or a cultivator in a street, mixing around with common people. 

"Thankfully, it seems like the rules and regulations of this place are much better than the cultivation novels I have read. Though, fights seem common too."

Kai muttered as he chanced upon two people who looked to be students of the academy fighting among themselves on the street. They seemed to be from the Cultivation department. 

"You don't know who you are clashing with, you fool."

"You are just a blabbering coward who dares to clash with the third son of the Fang family. Heh, I'll make sure your descendants suffer for this mistake!"

"Your background doesn't hold against my master! You dare?"

The two fighting students spouted things that Kai would be embarrassed to say. But it seemed like the rest of the people were seeing it more as a source of entertainment. 

He regarded it as something common as his carriage passed by them.

After a while, he was back to his estates. It was one of the biggest properties he had seen and one he had never thought of owning till now. 

Aside from the main estate where the main family lived, there were also quarters for the servants and warehouses. 

He walked out of the carriage and an old man quickly came forward, a glimmer of hope shining on his face. 

"Young Master Kai, this servant was waiting for you. Did you get into the prestigious academy?"

As he looked at his face, his name came into Kai's mind, albeit a bit slowly. It had been three days since he had entered this world but he hadn't gotten used to the Chinese names. 

At least, there was a mix of culture, so not every name was hard to remember. 

"Shen Mu, let's talk inside."

Hearing that, the old man understood that things hadn't gone too well. He promptly escorted the young master inside.

After sitting inside his room, Kai opened his mouth. 

"As you might have guessed, I didn't get into the academy." Kai said and the old man lowered his head.

He had already expected him to not get in, but miracles were something he believed in… but this…

"I now know that the path of a cultivator isn't for me. The heavens have chosen to not bless me."

"Young Master! don't say that. You might not be as gifted as your late brothers but with some elixirs, I'm pretty sure you can tread the path—"

"Shen Mu," the young master raised his hand. "I've been on the first stage for three years. It's not for me."

The old man sighed hearing that. He had been a humble servant for the family for years, but now, it seemed like everything was truly coming to an end. 

With a bit of hesitation, he opened his mouth to give Kai another news, "Actually, another batch of servants left today."

"Is that so?" Kai seemed to have already expected it. 

"Yes, they probably don't see any future in serving the Wang family."

"Are you planning to leave too?"

Kai asked promptly and the old man shook his head. 

"No, young master! I have sworn to serve your family till my last breath. At this moment of uncertainty, I can't leave you alone."

Although the old man acted like a loyal servant, there was one more reason why he couldn't leave Kai. 

It was because Kai was someone who had no knowledge of how to take care of himself. Before he was thrown into this mess, he was someone who only knew how to frequent brothels. 

This was one of the reasons why he hadn't progressed a bit into his cultivation. 

If Shen Mu left him alone, the Wang bloodline might end sooner than expected. 

"Okay, can you wait outside? I have some stuff to ponder upon." 

Kai said and Shen Mu bowed before leaving him alone. 

Now that there was no one keeping an eye upon him, Kai let out a breath that he was holding back and drank some water. 

The whole trip to the academy and talking with Shen Mu had left him exhausted, especially because he wasn't used to the language of this world. 

It was called 'Dragon Tongue' and it was not an easy language to speak but it was a major language in the human countries. 

The only reason he could even speak it was because of the holographic screen in front of him. 

[System installation has ended fully.]

[The host had gained 'Dragon Tongue' as a reward for successfully completing his transmigration.]

[Other functions of the system had been unlocked. You can now check your beginner gifts.]

[You can now fully check up the functions of the 'Culture System'.]

Kai was actually a transmigrator who had come to this world after dying in a road accident. 

Actually, he wasn't trying to be a hero when the truck was about to kill a kid that had come in front of the road. The truck driver had actually seen the kid and turned the truck around on the footpath to not harm him.

Unfortunately, it had ended up killing Kai who found himself in this world the next time he opened his eyes. 

His system had been in the middle of installing since then and it was just now, after three days, that he could finally take advantage of a cheat that he had only read about till now in webnovels that would mostly get dropped. 

But he hadn't expected that his system would be named 'Culture System'. 

For a minute, he even thought that he had misread it but his eyes were still good. 

He had thought that he would get a system that could get him to the top of the world as a cultivator or a mage or at least a system through which he could be the alchemist god. 

But no, his system had turned out to be beyond all that. 

[Culture System - The host of this system has a responsibility to export culture to the new world you have found yourself in. There will be rewards as the host clears out quests that the system would give out. The host could reject the quest at will.]

When Kai tried to get more information on the system, that popped out.

Reading it, he got an idea of what the system was. At least, from the looks of it, it wasn't going to force him to do something. 

"Is it because I was a film student in the past?" 

Kai was a fourth year film student that was going to graduate before his death. It was safe to assume that there was a correlation between that and his system. 

When he checked up the quest, he found out there was already one. 

[Quest: Start up on the journey to spread culture to this world to make a change in the dead entertainment sector. You would be given rewards after the completion of the quest.

Make a theatre business. 

Get your first 10 customers.]

[Do you want to accept this quest? Y/N]

Looking at the quest, Kai had no idea how he would strive to complete it. 

His family had become bankrupt and there weren't a lot of things they owned now. Moreover, he had no idea about the theatre business of this world. 

"Hopefully, there's something good in the gifts I have received that would help me out."

He muttered as he tried to check the gifts and the functions that the system had given him. 

[You have acquired 'Inventory'.]

[You have acquired a copy of the movie <The Conjuring>. You could find it in your inventory.]

[You have acquired a 'Magical TV Screen'. You could find it in your inventory.]

[You have acquired a 'A bottle of Coca cola' (x2). You could find it in your inventory.]

Looking up all the system notifications, Kai wasn't able to believe it for a second. He pinched his cheeks as his imagination ran wild. 

Finally, he understood the true meaning of his system. 

Although it might not look as powerful as a system that would help him reach the apex of cultivation, he liked it better. 

After all, it coincided with his personality more as a film student. 

He might have not been able to contribute towards the entertainment industry in his world, but he might be able to just do a lot in this cultivation world. All thanks to the boon he had received. 

"Shen Mu, get the carriage out. We are going on a tour."

He said after calling up the old servant as hope filled his eyes. 

Hope that symbolised a new beginning. 

23