Chapter 4. Running away
276 1 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When a scream came out from inside the theatre room, Kai smirked. 

Tang Yan had looked very confident of winning the bet but his nerves were not going to hold for much longer. 

Shen Mu also smiled, realising that their plan was working. 

"Young master, I truly wonder what type of movie is that?" He asked, curious, having not seen the movie yet. 

"I told you to watch it."

"I don't have that much money to spend for curiosity."

That was the same answer Shen Mu had given when Kai had offered him to watch the movie three days ago. He had told him that it would be free for him and he didn't have to worry about the activation fee. 

But the old servant had rejected it, probably because he didn't want to tense up the accounts more. 

"Anyway, I wonder how much time he would be spending inside."

Kai muttered, looking up at the door to the theatre room. 

His guess was less than 30 minutes. 

***

Tang Yan's heart beat wildly as he looked at the TV screen. After the start where he had screamed, the pace of the movie had given him a sense of comfort. 

He felt like it was cute to see a family moving into another house and had found the kids to be cute as well. 

However, it was only for a moment. 

It was almost like the movie was trying to give him a false expectation and crushing it in the next moment. As the movie progressed, Tang Yan started to feel eerie. 

Every little thing would make him shake. 

For a romantic like Tang Yan, a horror movie was a completely different experience and one that his heart wasn't able to take easily. 

He, who had slayed deadly beasts, was now cowering in front of the screen. 

When the scene of the death of Sadie — the dog — came, he wasn't able to stop himself from gulping as a lot of questions creeped in his mind. 

'Who had killed the dog? Why were the clocks acting so strong? And why do I feel like somebody's watching me?'

He repeatedly turned around and found no one. Yet, his fear just increased. 

The room having no light source aside from the TV screen just added to the fear. He felt an unknown pressure on him that was hard to fight against. 

The striking moment was when Andrea and Cindy, two of the daughters were sleeping and they encountered the evil spirit in their bedroom. 

It jumped on top of Andrea, creating a havoc of panic and fear in his mind. 

Seeing the face of the evil spirit, Tang Yan wasn't able to stop himself from getting up and barging out of the room while screaming.

It was as if he had lost all of his dignity as a cultivator. 

He didn't even stop when Kai called out to him and kept running towards the streets. 

A few people got out of his way, seeing him run like he had seen a ghost and that was not far from the truth. 

"Why is that guy running like that?"

"He seemed to have seen something vicious."

"Ain't that Tang Yan? He was one of the top rankers in the second year at the academy."

"Then, why is he running like a fool?"

People talked about him as he ran and ran but Tang Yan ignored all of it until he reached the city's square. There was a fountain there and he submerged himself in it. 

Only after the coldness hit him that he calmed down and looked up at the sky. 

"What did I just watch?"

He muttered, fear deep in his eyes as he wasn't able to get out of those images of the evil spirit from his mind. 

The jump scares had really managed to give him another fear. 

He hadn't expected such profound moving images from such a small shop. It seemed like the Wang clan held secrets that no one had ever been able to know. 

***

"Young master, he ran away."

"I saw that."

Kai looked at the pathway through which Tang Yan had run off to. 

Although he had paid beforehand, there was still a rule in the bet which said that one has to pay double if they failed to watch the movie. 

So, he still owed Kai money. 

"Hopefully, he comes back or I need to get the law involved. Going by his attire, he did look like he was from a good family."

"I think he's one of the youngest sons of the Tang family." 

Shen Mu explained and Kai nodded. The Tang family was one of the top clans in the city, so his first customer was a big shot. 

If he didn't return, Kai could just go to the Tang family to get his money. 

'At least the plan seems to be working. My quest market seems to have gone up.'

Kai said as he opened up his system. 

In the quest area, the amount of customers he needed has changed to 1/10. 

He smiled seeing that and sat down, waiting for Tang Yan to return. 

After ten minutes, he indeed returned to show himself. 

'At least he hadn't run away.'

The only changes in his appearance was that his upper torso and hair were drenched with water now and there was an unknown horror in his eyes, like someone had sucked out his soul. 

"What was that evil spirit inside the screen? Are you some kind of demonic cultivator?"

He straight away accused Kai as he pointed fingers at him. 

"If there was any demonic energy in my shop, wouldn't you notice as a student from the academy?" He pointed at the badge on his clothes, a symbol of the academy. 

"Well, that's true." Tang Yan almost stuttered as he struggled to make up sentences. "Still, it was too real."

Whenever he closed his eyes, the images of the evil spirit would come to mind. It was too real, like he was seeing it in front of him. 

Everyone inside the movie looked like real people. 

Even though he has never seen such a fashion style and features in his life, he guessed that they were somewhere from the Southern continent, a place that was only spoken in legends. 

"It's real because the artifact is from the Second Epoch. Whatever you saw wasn't real, it was just an illusion."

Kai explained to the best of his ability. The concept of actors and shooting movies was unknown to this world and he didn't want to waste his time explaining everything to random customers. 

"An illusion? Ah, it's truly so strange." Tang Yan sneaked a gaze at the theatre room. 

"Anyway, you lost the bet."

Kai said as a smile worthy of a cunning businessman appeared on his face. Tang Yan could literally see greed on his way. 

He hesitated before sliding in another 15 Spirit Crystals to him. 

"This place is too expensive."

"It all gives an experience that no one in the entire kingdom can give. And running my artifact is costly." Kai muttered, counting the crystals before giving Tang Yan another smile. "Please come again!"

Hearing that, Tang Yan nearly slipped on his way here. 

Looking back, he whispered a curse, "I nearly got a heart attack and you want me to come back tomorrow again. I might become an evil spirit myself if I watched that movie again, you bastard."

With that, he left the shop, berating himself for taking the bet and losing so much money in just a day. 

For the next month, he would have to live cheaply. If he dared to ask his mother for money again, she's going to beat him up with her sandal. 

"So much for being a cultivator."

He shook his head. 

***

After Tang Yan, more customers also came to the shop to watch the movie and to win 50 Spirit Crystals in just two hours. 

Kai had prepared the marketing plan in such a way that in just a day, a lot of people were discussing his shop and the prize money they could win. 

He has planted in every social gathering place in the city — Tea houses, barber shops and he has even paid a few prostitutes to talk about his shop to their customers. 

It spread the word of the shop very quickly. 

"Have you heard of that new shop?"

"Yes, I was thinking of going there."

"They said that the shop has an evil spirit living in it and it would haunt you if you go there."

"Yes, I saw someone running out of the shop while shouting."

"Still, they are giving 50 Spirit Crystals if we manage to watch the movie. Isn't it a good deal?"

"Yes, it is. I do need some money to pay back my debts in the red light area."

"Then, should we go?"

These types of conversations took place all around the city and in just a day over 20 people visited Kai's shop. 

Though, not everyone wanted to watch the movie. 

Some came because they were curious. Others because they wanted to know what a movie is. Some even came to haggle the price of 15 Spirit Crystals. 

Their major reason to come was still greed but not everyone wanted to take a chance, especially because they knew that there would be a catch. 

In the end, out of the 20 people who came, he only got 4 more customers, taking the count to 5/10. 

Not even one of them was able to watch the movie. 

The one who did the best was a 3rd circle Lightning mage who crossed the 40 minute mark before coming out of the room. 

Another guy even tried to destroy the evil spirit on the screen by slashing it with his sword, but the security system of the magic TV just gave him a shock, disqualifying him. 

Like that, the first day of the shop went like this. 

At the end of the day, the total money they have gotten was 150 Spirit Crystals. 

Seeing the shining Spirit Crystals in the box, Shen Mu wasn't able to hide his expression of admiration and shock. 

As 500 Spirit Crystals were enough for a family to live for a month, 150 in a day meant a lot of money. 

It was a great start that he had never expected. 

"The heavens have not forgotten the Wang clan. We might actually be able to make a resurgence in the city."

He muttered and Kai just nodded his head. Money was a major thing in the world. 

If you have money, you can buy resources. If you can buy resources, you can attract more cultivators in your clan or tread the path of cultivation yourself. 

"This is just a start, Shen Mu. You will see how I take this small shop to the highest peaks."

Kai proclaimed, hoping that his system would give him good rewards. 

Maybe he would get another Magic TV or even another movie. 

The idea of using a horror movie like this was a good one but it won't be long before a powerful cultivator would come and watch the movie as a whole. 

People can also try it again and again, having already known the points of major jump scares. 

So, he would need different movies to keep the interest in his entertainment shop high. 

22