Chapter 5. Part 5
9 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Good morning, esteemed citizens. Today, we bring you a heartwarming story that's been sweeping through our world. It's about a woman with unique hair, and the community that's rallied behind her.”

The voice of the presenter echoed fervently.

Meanwhile, the screen showed the footage of a tanned woman with a magnificent afro standing in front of a cheering crowd.

“That's right, folks! Meet Esmeralda, the proud owner of the most splendid afro our world has ever seen!” The presenter exclaimed excitedly, before his voice turned hard.

 

“But life hasn't always been easy for Esmeralda. She's faced discrimination, terrible hair days, and more hair-related puns than anyone should endure.”

On the screen, the image changed to Esmeralda swatting away hairstyling products thrown at her.

“Yet, amidst all the adversity, something incredible happened. A support group of fellow Elysians formed, calling themselves the "Hair-itage Heroes."

The image switched to show a dozen youngsters sporting weird purple jackets with an afro logo on the chest.

“We realized that we all face unique challenges. In the face of those hardships, we must stand together!”

The young, big-lipped youngster exclaimed.

“Discrimination against an afro is discrimination against loyalty!

After that proclamation, the screen showed the smiling news anchor once again, his face twitching as he restrained a comical laugh.

“The Hair-itage Heroes have organized a charity event, where they'll be donating hair products and wigs to those in need. All proceeds from their "Mane-tenance Gala" will go toward improving the lives of orphans of academy city.

The screen changed again, showing Esmeralda speaking at a podium with the Hair-itage Heroes.

“It's been a hair-raising journey, but together, we can change the new generation! Goodbye to discrimination!”

The image lowered slightly, revealing people dancing and celebrating at the gala, with wigs and smiling orphans.

 

“And there you have it, a community coming together to support their fellow Elysians in a time of need. Isn't it inspiring?”

The presenter finished.

Alex watched the news, his face contorted in disbelief, a deep furrow forming between his brows.

“Ugh, this is ridiculous! What's next, a parade for orcs?” He grumbled, shaking his head as if trying to shake the absurdity out of his thoughts.

With an annoyed flick of his wrist, he switched off the round screen, slumping back on his couch. A deep sigh escaped his mouth.

“Sometimes.” He muttered to himself. “I swear, these news channels will cover anything just for the hair-raising drama of it all.” 

As he was complaining, a dinging sound was heard through his office.

It was followed by the door of his office/ship opening to reveal a skipping Pyra making her entrance.

She stopped at the doorway, a curious look on her face.

“What’s the matter with the long face?” Pyra inquired, flicking her fiery hair out her ear. “Was last night that bad?”

Alex turned to glance at her, but his eyes were distant, unfocused.

“It was actually the best night of my life.” He said with a light smile. “Ashlyn and I seem to be really compatible in bed. It's just…”

He hesitated to continue, too ashamed of what was bothering him.

“It's just what?” Pyra demanded impatiently, her fiery gaze fixed on him.

“It’s just, last night Ashlyn was like a cat purring in my arms… Then, today I awoke ready for another round.” Alex paused, glancing at his finger to avoid Pyra’s eyes. “And Ashlyn was so cold… so professional… She just got up and went to work without even a kiss.”

Pyra's eyes flared with indignation, and she crossed her arms, her fiery hair framing her face like a blazing halo.

“That's it?” She exclaimed, her voice crackling with energy. “You're worried because she didn't give you a kiss? You're the king, for the Flame's sake! Act like it! If you want a kiss, take it!”

Alex laughed to himself.

“I know that much, Pyra.” He replied, chuckling. “I was just so stunned by her sudden shift in demeanor that I could not react on time.”

Pyra sighed, her right hand rubbing her forehead.

“Look.” She began, her voice taking on a more serious tone. “Just don’t think this is your fault.” 

Alex's eyes widened at her words, a mix of confusion and relief washing over him.

“What do you mean?”

Pyra didn’t answer immediately, instead she sauntered over to the blue couch in front of Alex.

“How to say this?” She said, making herself comfortable on the couch. “The thing about Elysians is that they feel more pleasure from getting praised by their loyalty than from things like 'I love you.’” 

Alex’s mouth grew agape, his eyes spinning.

“What?!”

He had heard things like that many times, but it was just getting into his system that it was like so.

Pyra chuckled at his shocked expression before continuing her explanation. 

“Not only that, because of their long lifespans, Elysians only have five days of heat each thirty days.” She clarified. “And yesterday was Ashlyn’s last day.”

Understanding the situation, Alex’s head dropped in defeat.

“So she was only having an awkward first morning as she wasn’t in the mood?”

Alex’s lips trembled, his aura resembling that of a saddened child.

Seeing him like that, a mischievous glint ignited within Pyra’s eyes.

“Stop sulking.” She declared, grabbing his hand between hers with a wicked grin. “You have this amazing jetpack courtesy of the best Astralith, and we even built a jetpack training hall just for it!”

“Wait!”

Alex attempted to protest, but Pyra yanked him up from the couch without much effort.

His legs, lacking the braces, made him stumble and almost hit the wall as Pyra dragged him out of the office.

“Pyra! I’m going to fall!”

Alex cried out in panic.

As they exited the ship onto the landing pad of the castle, Alex managed to glimpse a flash of red hair before he collided with someone.

In a heap of limbs, he tumbled on top of a woman.

“Ugh!”

The familiar voice of Ashlyn groaned beneath Alex as he raised his head.

“Sorry Lyn! We didn’t see you!”

Alex apologized to his wife.

Ashlyn returned a cold stare at him, her teeth gritted.

“Alexander… You’re heavy.”

Looking down, Alex saw his hand digging into Ashlyn’s breast.

The sensation was heavenly, but he had already played with them to his fill yesterday and it didn't seem like the right moment.

He awkwardly scrambled off of Ashlyn, a sheepish smile on his face.

“Sorry!” 

Ashlyn rose to her feet slowly, her demeanor cold and collected, as she dusted off her military jacket. 

Once, she was satisfied with her clothes, she cleared her throat and directed a glare at Alex.

“I need to oversee the guards' training today. It's essential that they stay in peak condition. I came to say goodbye.”

Alex nodded, his own expression serious. “Of course, Lyn. Take care, and don't work too hard.”

With that, he leaned in for a quick kiss. Ashlyn's lips met his briefly, but her posture remained rigid. 

She pulled away almost as soon as it began, leaving Alex slightly puzzled.

“Goodbye.” she said curtly before heading out.

 

As she disappeared from their sight, Pyra couldn’t help snickering, her eyes sparkling with mischief. 

She simply couldn't resist a teasing comment.

"Wow, King. You're really leaving her flustered today, huh?"

Alex, oblivious to what his wife was thinking, blinked in confusion. "What do you mean?"

Pyra merely giggled and rushed him out of the room.

Normally, Alex could have read subtle hints in people’s expressions.

However, today he was just too caught up in his own self pity that he failed to read Ashlyn’s.

“Come on, slowpoke. We have a fire to catch on.” 

She sprinted out in the direction of the jetpack training hall. Her long legs raising her like a rocket

“My babies are waiting for me!”

“Wait!” Alex followed after him, his legs trembling from the effort.

‘I really needed that surgery to strengthen my legs.’ Was his thoughts as he failed to keep up with his fiery subordinate.

Unbeknownst to him, Ashlyn was observing him from a window above them. 

Her face was flushed like a ripe tomato, and her hands discreetly massaged her sore breasts.

1