Chapter 6 (2)
9 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Part 2: The Second Encounter at the Church

The sun was at its highest when Alex arrived at the church of the Keepers of the flame.

It was a large cluster of buildings, reminiscent of the monasteries from western back on Alex’s homeworld, hidden among the peaks of a volcanic island.

The only difference from those places he had seen on the web were the prevalence of warm colors that greeted him. 

Massive orange crystal windows adorned the walls, casting the warm light of this world star into the buildings.

Beneath his feet, a crimson carpet stretched across the stone floor, leading the way deeper into the heart of the church.

Its rich red hue was meant to awaken awe among the devouts and the curious alike.

“This place is quite peaceful, right? Guys.”

He inhaled deeply, savoring the crisp, newly purified air that filled his lungs. 

It was a breath of fresh, untainted, a stark contrast to the pollution he had encountered on this alien world before his people's intervention.

As he strolled through the grand courtyard of the Church of the Keepers of the Flame, his eyes were drawn to the intricate carvings that adorned the weathered stone walls of the buildings. 

Each stone vibrating with elemental energy, the power source used in this world, something that made them even more marvelous.

That sight and the lack of pollution thanks to his people made this trip the most worth sightseeing since conquering this world.

Unfortunately, not everyone shared his view.

“I can't shake this uneasy feeling from this place's elemental energy, My king!” Marco declared, its round eyes darting suspiciously toward the priests tending to the gardens nearby.

It was painfully evident that the priests were not giving the proper respect to their king.

“Yeah, it feels hot.” August added, his tone tinged with mild annoyance. “And the locals' attitude doesn't seem all that welcoming.”

Alex looked around with a proud head held high. The priests around them avoided meeting his gaze, their heads bowed with a dark look.

Alex shrugged off the chilly reception with a confident smile.

“Well, Astra did warn me that  these guys only respect their God.” He explained as they crossed into the main door of the church. “That’s why I wanted Ashlyn to come with me.”

“I see.” Marco followed after Alex, floating together with August.

Inside, an entourage of women, resembling nuns in their red modest attires, albeit without a head covering, stood in a graceful formation.

Their presence exuded an air of devotion and reverence that was palpable.

At the heart of this assembly of devoted women stood the beautiful Saint, Aria. 

Her presence was radiant, and her ethereal aura seemed to illuminate the entire hall. 

“Welcome to our humble sanctuary.” 

She greeted their arrival with a slight bow, her lustrous hair gleaming beneath the jeweled adornments embedded in the ceiling, that casted reflections across the hall. 

“We apologize for our male priests’ welcome. They are quite protective of us.” Aria explained, her voice carrying a soft, soothing tone.

As if choreographed, the women surrounding Aria followed suit, offering a synchronized and shallow bow. 

Their eyes, that had remained closed, made them look innocent, almost like figures from a spiritual painting.

“It’s not a bother at all, Miss Aria.” Alex said with a light, soft smile. “I can understand that not everyone has accepted me as their ruler.”

Aria responded with a gentle smile, her lips forming a graceful arc.

The sight of it made a weight on Alex’s shoulders lift. A feeling of lightweightness spread across her body like he was just healed.

Even the ever cautious Boys beside him seemed relaxed, as relaxed as a pair of mechanical floating piranhas could look, of course.

They seemed to see no threat from the women around them from their scans on them.

“That’s wonderful!” Aria clapped her hands with enthusiasm. 

If Alex were to become offended, then she would have a hard time negotiating. 

Fortunately for her, he didn’t. So, with a light skip on her feet, she turned to lead the way. “Please follow me to a more private place to speak.”

“Right.”

Alex chuckled, his eyes gazing at the religious women who formed two lines around them as they walked.

The sight was weird, but beautiful. It was like they had to protect a precious gem with their all, their saint.

As they continued, Alex couldn't contain his curiosity any longer.

“Though I have to ask.” Alex broke out the silence, a curious look on his face. “Can they see with their eyes like that?”

He hadn’t managed to see a single one of them blink, let alone open their eyes, and it was starting to bother him.

Aria chuckled melodically, her response carrying a gentle tone.  “They're undergoing a special spiritual training.”

Alex raised an eyebrow in wonder as he continued walking after her. “Training? It looks bothersome.”

Aria hummed, turning her head towards him with a mischievous smile. “Yes, I suppose it can be. But it's crucial for us to feel the flames even without relying on sight. That's the purpose of this training.”

Alex brought his hand to his lips, recalling something. “I think I had read it was about you not being able to see your God, Ignitus, with physical eyes in the afterlife.”

Aria nodded in agreement. 

“Indeed, it is. Imagine dedicating your entire life to our gracious God, only to be unable to see his greatness upon your return to his side. His side. It's a deeply unsettling thought. That’s why we train our spiritual sight after reaching adulthood like this.”

“I see.” Alex commented, a warm smile on his face. “They're a hardworking group, aren't they?”

However, just as he was complimenting them, one of the young women gently shook her head.

“Your Majesty.” She began, her voice filled with a deep sense of devotion. “We may seem remarkable, but it's all thanks to our Saint's unwavering support. She has been our beacon of light and our guiding star through the darkest of times.”

The young woman's words were delivered with boundless energy, full of trust and adoration she held for their saint.

Her fellow followers nodded in agreement, their faces reflecting similar unwavering faith.

Alex couldn't help but look at the saint, Aria, in a new light. 

He was just realizing how much she meant for the people of her religion. 

She was basically the central figure of it, despite her apparent young age.

‘So she is more than a flashing woman huh.’ Alex thought to himself.

Yet, his thoughts were interrupted as they reached their destination, their steps halting as the sight of a small wooden door with ornate flames carved on it appeared before them.

“This way, please.” Aria signaled with her hand at the door, her flowing long crimson robes swaying with her gesture.

“Okay.” Alex followed her in as she opened the door.

“I apologize, but I would prefer this conversation to be private, King Alexander.” 

Suddenly, Aria stopped, staring directly at his guards.

Alex glanced back at Marco with a helpless face, wishing Ashlyn was here to negotiate.

“Marco, Augusto, can you wait here for a bit?” Alex requested, his voice helding certain resolve. “I'll try to sort this out before it’s time to eat.”

The guards had  their large eyes spinning briefly as they considered the request. “Understood, Your Majesty. Please don't hesitate to call upon us if needed.”

“Of course.” Alex smiled as he entered the room with the saint.

The door closed behind him with a soft thud.

Aria gracefully moved towards a couch, and sat on it, signaling Alex to sit in front of her in a plush, jewel-adorned chair opposite her.

Alex hesitated for a moment, his gaze lingering on the overly embellished chair. 

With clumsy movements, he took his seat, trying to hide his discomfort as the rough surface dug into his back.

“Now that we are out of sight of my bothersome subordinates, we can finally talk at ease.” Aria declared. 

Her expression softened as she leaned back in her chair, her long, bare legs playfully swinging back and forth like a child.

“I know that feeling, mine also keep a close eye on me most of the time.”

Alex, in his own mind, wanted to appear sincere. Yet, his focus kept wandering on her beautiful long legs. 

He couldn't even remember the last words he had just said and a strong desire stirred inside him.

Seeing his entranced look, Aria chuckled, pleased with herself. 

Then, she lowered the right shoulder of her red robe, revealing more of her delicate collarbone.

An amused smile flashing across her face.

“Yes, it can be quite a problem.” She said, her face forming a pitiful, but seductive expression. “Especially when the supplies start running low.”

Alex’s stare became heated, capturing her every move. A big, devious grin spread across his face.

“I think we can come to an agreement.”

The air in the room seemed to crackle with tension as their conversation took an unexpected turn.

1