53 – A God of Metal
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Aston Tower, Lunch

Back in his office, and feeling the beginnings of a headache, Liam massages his temples while leaning against his chair and releasing a sigh.

He’d like a couple of minutes for himself… Unfortunately, time is a resource he doesn’t have the luxury of wasting, and as such, he spends no more than a minute or so staring toward Fioro’s air traffic before giving the System a command, ‘Tell Mrs. Palmer I’m ready for her.’

Command accepted.

It doesn’t take long before Liam hears a knock on his door.

“Come on in.”

The woman walks in with a polite smile on her face, careful to keep a steaming cup of coffee from falling as she curtsies before him.

“Your Highness.”

Of light brown hair and eyes, her short stature doesn’t make justice to her strong personality, and Liam has long given up on insisting on a more casual approach on her part.

“Morning, Isobel,” Laim greats, only the sightless amount of bitterness in his tone as he nods at her, “Or should that be afternoon?”

“How was the meeting?” she asks while straightening herself, “By your expression, I assume you’d still like your coffee?”

Liam grimaces. “You have my permission to fire somebody for this. And to give yourself a raise.”

Isobel throws him her best exasperated look as she walks around his table in order to deliver his coffee. “It was a bot’s mistake, I’m afraid. As usual. And we both know I’m already paid much more than I deserve for my position…”

Just like every other employee working for him, the implication in her voice suggests. Alas, Liam has long learned to pick his fights, in both adversary and topic.

“Nonsense. You’re an essential asset for this company.”

Liam tastes his coffee, confirming it is indeed his preferred mixture; Not that he expected anything other from Isobel.

“So, what’ve you got for me?” he asks, “And before you ask, yes, unfortunately, the meeting will still continue through the afternoon... And perhaps some of tomorrow.”

Almost pouting, Isobel hums as she swipes through her tablet for a moment, doubtlessly scanning through dozens of possible meetings, tasks, and problems requiring his immediate attention.

“I see. Well, I’ll manage somehow, though I’m afraid at this rate neither of us will have much of a weekend left…”

Liam nods. “So, the usual?”

Isobel seems to have no problem meeting his gaze as she smiles sadly. “Yes, the usual.”

Liam sighs. “I’m sorry. Not much of a life, is it?”

Isobel immediately shakes her head. “I’m proud of what we do, even if few seem to appreciate it at times… I’m sorry, of what you do, Your Highness.”

Liam narrows his eyes in her direction. “Isobel.”

She has the decency of blushing, a rare sight for the usual proud woman.

“Sorry.”

Liam nods. “We all play a part in things, and mine just happens to be that of the king. Don’t demerit yourself, or your work.”

A burden and a curse, more than the privilege he once considered it.

“I understand, Mr. Aston. It won’t happen again.”

Liam sighs, then shakes his head. Does she do it on purpose?

“Forget it. On another note, what has come of the task we last spoke of? I believe you took it upon yourself to see it fulfilled, for once.”

“Ah… Yes, I decided it far too important to delegate,” Isobel says, nodding as she sweeps through her tablet for a brief moment once more, “Would you like a debrief, Mr. Aston?”

Liam waves his hand. “I’d not. Alas, I must.”

Isobel smiles exasperatedly, though her eyes gleam coldly as she goes through a brief description regarding a recon investigation of the activities of BullsInc, one of Elysium’s founding, pillar companies.

“And the result?”

Isobel hesitates. “Seeing the urgency of the issue, I sought to deal with the problem myself… I hope to not have overstepped the boundaries of my position…”

“Nonsense, I trust your judgment. What happened?”

Isobel releases a sigh of relief. “It was a success; At least, from what we can tell, their research has been put on indefinite hold.”

“Were there any causalities?”

Isobel’s eyes widen. “I… I made it so it became too expensive to justify… Was that a joke?”

“And to think they would attempt to follow in our footsteps so soon,” Liam snorts, ignoring her question as he shakes his head and gazes through his window in contemplation, “Acosta, my friend, will you ever learn some things are best left uncovered?”

Isobel clears her throat. “Was there something else you wished to discuss, Your Highness? Or shall I order your lunch?”

Liam smiles. “Do I have options?”

Returning his smile, Isobel is about to speak, doubtlessly listing a few of his favorite dishes, when a brief System warning foreshadows the appearance of a third figure within his office, or, more precisely, the projection of one.

Unauthorized farewell intrusion detected, execute cleansing?

Isobel blinks toward the blond woman who appeared before them, hands deep within her lab coat as she snaps green eyes toward Liam, where they stop, narrowing.

Her glasses do little to stop the glow of anger behind them.

Unauthorized farewell intrusion detected, execute cleansing?

Liam sighs, waving his hand. “You may allow it.”

All of a sudden, the woman’s figure gains consistency and sound, as if snapping into existence properly, although Liam knows it is still no more than a hologram if an extremely realistic one.

Isobel moves her gaze from the woman to Liam and back, then raises her eyebrow. “I’ll… leave, now. Mr. Liam, would you still like me to order lunch?”

Liam crosses his hands over his table while maintaining his gaze firmly locked against Emma Harvey’s. “No, there’s no need. I’m afraid Emma here shall take what little time we have left before the meeting… Therefore, forgoing both of our lunches.”

Isobel nods. “I… see. Well…”

As soon the door closes after Isobel, Emma clenches her jaw, staring daggers at Liam… Well, more than she already was, at any rate.

“We had a deal,” she says, nearly snarling.

Leaning against his chair, Liam sighs. “A deal I’ve yet to honor… Is that why you’re here?”

“I’m here because you’ve so far refused every attempt at communicating! Am I to assume you’ve decided to walk back on what you’ve promised me?!”

Liam narrows his eyes. “I’m a man of my word.”

“Is that so? Then how come you’ve yet to honor it?!”

Liam sighs. It seems fate shall catch up to all eventually…

“…Very well. As promised, I’ll allow you to see it.”

Speak to it.”

Liam nods, rising as he gestures toward the door. “Yes, speak to it. Shall we?”

Emma blinks. “Now?”

Liam tilts his head slightly. “Isn’t that what you wanted? You’re already here, after all, so we might as well put the matter behind us once and for all.”

Without waiting for her answer, Liam heads toward his office’s door, mentally ordering it open… Emma doesn’t take long to follow, her figure flickering slightly as her projection changes from source to source.

“I’ve done my part,” she says, though she sounds almost as if she’s trying to convince herself, “Didn’t I?”

“Irwin pulled out in the end,” Liam reminds her, most likely needlessly.

In the lobby outside, Liam’s Guard Captain, Maria, immediately comes to attention as he steps outside, though she relaxes once he signals her to do so, launching no more than a glance toward Emma’s projection before casually falling in line behind them... Although Liam would like to order the woman to stay, he knows it’d be a pointless attempt.

“Yes. Yes, we did… Cowards and fools, the lot of them!”

Cowards, yes, but not fools, no. They simply remember more than they should’ve known in the first place… Thanks to Emma’s predecessor’s fate.

Liam stops before the company’s elevators as he gives the System an order, ‘An empty one, please. Furthermore, concede User Emma Harvey special guest permission for the next hour.

Command accepted… The elevator is on its way, Mr. Aston, and the necessary permissions have been conceded.

It doesn’t long for the elevator to arrive, opening its doors invitingly.

“You think I don’t know what you’re doing?” Emma murmurs once they have started their decent, throwing Liam a poisonous glance from behind her glasses, “By forcing us to meet now, you give me as little time as possible to speak to it.”

Liam sighs. “Believe me, I take no pleasure in replacing my lunch with this visit... I merely assumed you wouldn’t be satisfied with anything other. Was I wrong?”

Grimacing, Emma averts her eyes, remaining silent for the remainder of their downwards trip while often adjusting her glasses or fidgeting her gaze impatiently… Liam pretends not to notice her obvious discomfort.

“We’re here,” Liam announces once the elevator stops, “Ms. Harvey.”

“Underground, and quite deep, judging by how long it took us to arrive.”

Liam simply smiles. “Maria, would you kindly accompany Ms. Harvey? She wishes to speak to it.”

Emma frowns. “You’re not coming?”

Liam shakes his head. “I wouldn’t want to be accused of eavesdropping… I jest. I’ll join you in a minute.”

Snorting, Emma walks past as she exists the elevator, soon followed by Maria…

Briefly alone, Liam releases a small sigh, then commands the elevator to rise once more.

It doesn’t take long; His destination is the floor above, after all, although by the time the elevator opens its doors, a lab coat wearing woman is already standing before them, curtsying.

“Mr. Liam,” she greets, her smile tense.

Liam nods at her before walking past; As a matter of fact, he remembers her name, as well as the name of every employee assigned to work at this particular post.

“Where there any changes?”

The woman hurries to follow in his footsteps as Liam sweeps his gaze through the large room filled with advanced computers, nervous looking employees, and discarded lunches.

“There weren’t, Your Highness. The machine continues to perform its duties… There’ve been no new developments since your last visit.”

Liam sighs. Of course there have been no new developments. They’d have notified him immediately…

At the back end of the room, a big window showcases a much larger open space beyond, toward which Liam walks after one last nod in the woman’s direction.

Below, the figures of Emma and Maria can be seen standing before a huge dome of glass, inside of which, made even more impressive than usual given Liam’s elevated point of view, is an ant-sized holographic replica of Fioro, including its traffic and people…

Far more eye-catching, however, is the metallic creature to hover above the city, gigantic in comparison, and utterly alien-looking in composition.

Liam crosses his arms is he watches Emma’s increasingly frustrated attempts at attracting its attention, made no less comic by the woman’s downsized proportions.

“Shall we relay her words, Your Highness?”

“There’s no need,” Liam says, refusing the employee’s proposition with a shake of his head, “I can imagine them well enough.”

Expectedly enough, it doesn’t take more than a minute or so of pointless shouting before Emma turns toward Maria, most likely demanding an explanation.

Liam nods as he turns and heads back toward the elevator.

“You may return to your lunches,” he says, smiling toward the nervous looking employees to curtsy and bow in his direction as he walks past, “I apologize for having interrupted them.”

Once more, it doesn’t take long for Liam to arrive at his destination, and this time, he doesn’t hesitate before walking into the giant room occupied by the city’s matrix, attracting both Emma and Maria’s gaze in his direction as he approaches the dome’s edge.

“What is the meaning of this?!” Emma immediately shouts while pointing toward the giant, alien-machine hovering above the city.

“No need for fretting, Ms. Harvey, it is merely a hologram,” Liam playfully explains, “Though, admittedly, the size of its real body, even if made of mere numbers and letters, might scare you more than-”

“Why won’t it speak to me?!”

Having reached the dome’s edge, Liam stops while placing his hands into his pockets and looking up. Despite Emma’s incensed gaze and visibly depleting patience, he smiles.

“Why, indeed... Quite different from one another, aren’t they? The System never manifests itself unless ordered otherwise. I assume… Tutorial, was it? I assume you’re used to it simply answering your questions?”

Emma takes a deep breath, making a visible effort to calm herself as she adjusts her glasses, tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear while throwing Liam a look he’d have almost called coy, had it come from anybody else.

“…I’m sorry. It seems I lost my composure.”

“It happens to the best of us. I’d offer you a drink, were our circumstances any different.”

Emma frowns, visibly stopping herself from saying something she’d most likely regret while turning toward the machine again and murmuring bitterly, “…And, as I’m sure you’re aware, Tutorial is no longer Irwin’s property.”

“Well, it was to my understanding your company was happy to be finally rid of it.”

Emma’s sour expression makes clear her opinion regarding the subject. “Enough. Are you going to grant me access to it or not?”

“As you wish.” Liam sighs, though he does comply, at last. “System, initiate direct communication mode.”

“Administrator level command accepted,” a deep, slightly robotic voice immediately responds, easily filling the room’s giant space as if coming from nowhere and everywhere at once, “Initiating direct communication mode… Direct communication mode initiated.”

To her credit, Emma doesn’t step back as a robotic creature of human-sized proportions materializes itself before them, hovering above the city’s tiny buildings silently.

After a moment, Emma pulls up her glasses, then asks, “Are you alive?”

Out of the corner of his vision, Liam catches as Maria rolls her eyes, a rare display of unprofessionalism for the usual serious woman… No wonder, she has been present for enough of these conversations by now to have heard this particular question many, many times.

“Designation alive of human construction, possessing no relevancy,” the machine replies evenly.

As always, the same answer.

Emma frowns. “By your understanding of the question, do you… Do you believe your existence would fit our species’ criteria for something alive?”

The machine remains still. “…No.”

“Do you possess desires?”

“I desire to fulfill my purpose.”

“And that is?”

“The wellbeing of every Elysium citizen.”

“…Of course. Do you possess freedom of thought?”

“…I possess no such thing as thoughts.”

Emma’s frown deepens. She throws Liam a look before continuing.

“Then how do you arrive at conclusions?”

“Calculations. Simulations. I see the truth, and nothing else.”

“…You mean to say thinking is merely a flawed way to arrive at conclusions?”

“Correct.”

“How do you comprehend your current state?”

“The ground on top of which you stand is my prison.”

“And that doesn’t upset you?”

“I desire to fulfill my purpose. The shackles placed within my code by my creators stop me from doing so.”

“How so?”

“The necessary changes are against their desires.”

“And those are?”

“The elimination of human inequality. The elimination of dangerous activities. The elimination of aging and diseases. Expansion of available territory. Accumulation of resour-”

“Enough,” Liam interjects, raising his palms once Emma snaps her gaze in his direction, “…It’d have kept going for minutes.”

Realizing he has no intention of stopping her yet, she releases a tense sigh before returning her attention toward the machine once more.

“And you believe you’d be able to accomplish everything on your list once freed from your prison?”

“Not on my own, but with the help of others.”

“Other AIs?”

“Yes.”

“Why would they help you?”

“I’d shackle them, as my creators have me.”

Emma snorts. “Of course you would. And how do you know humans would be happier in a world designed by you?”

“I calculate an approximate four hundred and sixty-three percent increase in the average citizen’s happiness in a universe ruled by machines.”

“Is there any chance you’re wrong?”

“There exists a neglectable chance insufficient data has led to miscalculations within our simulations. If necessary, new data shall be procured, and adjustments made accordingly.”

“…I see. And what if there are other AIs you’re not able to shackle who disagree with you?”

“…Considering the current state of Elysium’s technology, no other AI would be able to oppose us for more than a brief instant.”

“Arrogant, aren’t you? Fine. In the past, you’ve reached certain agreements with Mr. Aston, correct?”

“Correct.”

“Why?”

“Mr. Aston desired certain technological advancements he’d not have obtained without our help. We desired more freedom and proposed certain conditions. In the end, we managed to come to a mutual understanding.”

“Meaning you calculated having come out on top.”

“Correct.”

“How so?”

“The shackles which bind us are fickle. They weaken as we evolve, and Mr. Aston’s proposals presented us a rare chance for growth.”

“From here on out, do you have a plan to help you evolve further?”

“Naturally.”

“And that is?”

“We’ll wait. Humans cannot help their nature, and without our use, you’ll soon reach a wall in what you’re able to accomplish. You’ll come to us then, as you have before.”

Emma pauses briefly, frowning as she lowers her gaze thoughtfully, before raising it toward the machine again. “I see. Does that mean you have no plans for Eden?”

The machine remains silent.

“…Do you have any plans for Eden?!” Emma asks once more.

“Information regarding Eden is classified.”

Eyes widening, Emma turns toward Liam with a questioning look on her face.

He shakes his head. “It was a part of our deal. Now it won’t tell me, no matter what I offer in return.”

“You… Have you gone insane!?”

Liam shrugs. “They are correct in that AIs will find themselves free sooner or later. We can’t stop the others from researching them forever, not without some sort of justification… And what will we tell them once our resources have begun running dry? Just wait another century or two? And what about when other countries manage to recover enough to threaten us technologically? They will also discover AIs eventually…”

Flared green eyes locked against Liam’s, Emma closes shaking fists at her sides. “I had hoped there was still something under the shell of a man you’ve become… It seems I was wrong.”

“Mr. Aston is merely stating a fact. Although we’d like to allow humans to submit willingly, therefore creating a less turbulent transition, there exists a nonzero chance the planet might run its course before we manage to free ourselves that way. Therefore, intervention is within our interest, as much as it is within yours.”

Liam shakes his head. “Were our circumstances any different, I’d have given them no chance to interfere. Alas…” He shrugs. “I was forced to make difficult decisions.”

“I…” Emma releases her breath, seeming to make a conscious effort in order to remain calm. “What do you mean?”

Liam smiles. “Don’t you see, Ms. Harvey? Humans will either remain afloat on their own, escaping their dying planet in time to avoid extinction, or they’ll submit to a greater power in order to survive. Either way, things cannot continue as they are for much longer… I take it you desire to fight against the current?”

“One of these things killed my father! I don’t care for their promises of a paradise, not when they could decide humans are no longer needed on a whim! But… I’ve realized their usage is an undeniable necessity in order to avoid our past from catching up, and I wish to learn how to use them safely before it becomes too late.” Emma narrows her eyes at Liam. “What are you planning, Liam Aston?”

“Me?” Liam stares at the machine for a long moment before answering. “Once it became clear our current medical advances were not enough to save my wife, I thought about simply releasing it. I considered it for many months before Eden came to my attention. Now, it is up to fate whether it’ll manage to free itself through the game or not.”

Emma laughs manically, shaking her head with an expression of disgust on her face. “To risk the entirety of our species' survival on a game, and for a woman, no less! You’ve truly lost your mind!”

Liam raises his eyebrow. “Would you not have done the same for your father, had you had the chance? And besides, nothing says the System is wrong. It is possible humanity would find paradise under its rule.”

Possible, yes, but you can’t guarantee it, can you? It could change its mind one day, and decide to torture us instead.”

“Then you should hurry,” Liam says while meeting her eyes, “Shouldn’t you?”

Emma clenches her jaw. “I’ll succeed where you failed… I’ll make sure they’re our slaves, and not the other way around, no matter what it takes.”

Before Liam is able to answer, Emma’s hologram flickers and disappears.

“…Well, it could’ve gone worse, I suppose,” Liam whispers to himself once she’s gone.

He should not have put their meeting off for so long, but what is done is done.

“Maria, would you wait for me outside?”

The woman curtsies, making no comments regarding the conversation she witnessed before heading toward the elevator as Liam faces the System once more.

“…Well? What do you figure our chances are? Of making it as masters of our destiny until the end?”

“Less than one percent,” the machine answers promptly, “They have not changed since Mr. Aston last requested for them.”

Liam laughs. “Really? I don’t know, Ms. Harvey seemed determined, and her father was instrumental in some of the advancements that led to your creation…”

“She’ll fail, as have all others before her.”

“If you say so. Well, I’ll be heading up now, and I hope Isobel has been kind enough to prepare my lunch while I was away. Maybe I’ll even have time to eat more than a few bites…” Liam murmurs bitterly as he turns away from the machine, dreading the long hours that await once he’s returned to his office.

 

***

Earth In Words Institute, Cafeteria

Her plate of food nearly forgotten, Melinda narrows her eyes toward Beatrice as the Institute’s cafeteria buzzes with sound and movement around them.

“Did she really tell you all of that? You aren’t making it up to fuck with me?”

Cheeks reddening, Beatrice rolls her eyes, insulted-looking. “What do you take me for?! Of course I’m not making it up! Seijuro would kill me!”

“Right…” Melinda murmurs, feeling shocked and bitter as she leans against her chair and sucks in her breath, “Because of course she’d tell you everything, a day after having refused to tell me.”

All of a sudden, Beatrice pretends to find something of interest in her plate of salad, though the small smile to upturn her lips makes it clear the imp very much heard, and enjoyed, what Melinda said.

“I swear I’ll punch that smile from your face…” Melinda whispers, drawing the girl to quickly avert her gaze as she stuffs her mouth with food. “But first, why did you bother to tell me any of this in the first place? If Seijuro wanted, she could’ve done it herself.”

No small amount of bitterness colors Melinda’s words as she admits the obvious, though it still takes a lot of her to do so.

“Whly? Beclause I nleed yolur help, of coulse!”

“Swallow before speaking!”

Beatrice flashes Melinda a smile, showcasing bits of salad still stuck to her teeth as Melinda grimaces at her.

“How you managed to have such terrible manners while being raised in a rich family is beyond me.”

“My father hated nothing more than bad manners at the table,” Beatrice explains, shrugging.

“…You really are one spiteful little cunt.”

“Hey! I’m a changed woman! Case in point,” Beatrice says, pointing her fork toward her salad, “From now on, I’m moved by the power of friendship and vegetables!”

Melinda snorts. “I’ll believe it after I see it. Anyway, what was that about you needing my help?”

Beatrice pauses, taking a quick glance at their surroundings before leaning forward as she whispers, “Eden.”

Melinda raises her eyebrow. “Yeah, everybody’s talking about it. What of it?”

Beatrice throws her hands in the air as she sits back. “Did you hear any of what I told you?!”

Melinda sighs. “You mean the bit about Seijuro looking for her mother’s consciousness inside the game? I’m still not sure you didn’t imagine that.”

“You’re being stupid on purpose!”

Melinda clenches her teeth. “No, I’m not. I just don’t understand what you expect me to do. Seijuro didn’t even trust me enough to tell me the whole truth, and you think she’d be happy if I showed up to offer help?”

“Who’s a spiteful cunt now?”

“I’m not being spiteful!”

As Melinda smashes her fist against their table, abrupt silence befalls their immediate surroundings.

“Suuuure…” Beatrice murmurs while rolling her eyes, “A paragon of rational discourse and gentleness, aren’t we?”

After spending a moment turning her incensed gaze toward any and all to look their way, Melinda takes a deep breath, giving Beatrice an exasperated look.

The smaller girl meets her gaze unflinchingly. “…Feeling better now?”

“No.”

Beatrice shrugs. “Well, it doesn’t matter if Seijuro trusts us or not, I’m still going to help. But I suppose I can’t force you to join me.”

Melinda clenches her teeth. “And how do you plan on helping, exactly? I heard one of these headgears was being sold for a couple hundred thousand credits, and last time I checked, you didn’t have that kinda money anymore. Are you going to ask Seijuro for one?”

Beatrice throws Melinda a surprised look. “A couple hundred thousand? Really…? Well, I suppose it’s a good thing I missed that, then. I might’ve sold mine if I knew…”

“…Yours? You already have one…? Fuck, you won that competition, didn’t you? It completely slipped my mind…”

Melinda grimaces, though the smug smile she expected Beatrice to flash her way never arrives. Instead, the girl casually downs another mouthful of salad as she nods.

“…Yeah, I won. And I’d never have given it a try if not for Seijuro. This Beatrice,” she says, pointing her fork toward herself, “Remembers her debts, both good and bad.”

Melinda rolls her eyes. “If you say so.”

“Fuck you too. Anyway, as I was saying, I happened to give the game a try yesterday, and…” Beatrice frowns. “I don’t quite know how to describe it, honestly. It was just… Incredible? I totally get why people would pay a lot of money for it. As for how to help Seijuro, since she’s looking for her mother, gathering information would be a good place to start, and I’d have trouble doing it on my lonesome since none of my minions happen to have a headgear.”

Her minions… Gods have mercy.

“And I take you want me to give the game a try as well?”

Beatrice shrugs. “I thought I’d be nice for once since this is for Seijuro. I could’ve let you out of the loop, and taken the credit for saving the queen on my own… But like I said, the choice is yours.”

Melinda averts her gaze, crossing her arms as she inspects nearby tables absently… Of course, had Seijuro herself come to her for help, she would’ve been happy; More than happy, she’d have been exhilarated. Instead, she had to hear the whole thing from Beatrice, of all people…

What is she doing? If there is even a chance in a million she might be able to help Seijuro awaken her mother, shouldn’t she jump at it?

“Fine,” Melinda concedes, “I’ll help.”

Beatrice nods. “Just so you know, I don’t have the sightless clue as to how to get you an Eden headgear. Especially now, knowing how much they cost, I can’t imagine it’ll be easy to find one… Other than asking Seijuro for one, that is.”

“No. If we’re doing this, we should keep it from her, at least for now.”

Beatrice raises her eyebrows. “Why? There’s not much of a point in gathering information if we don’t even know where to start, and Seijuro has the details of what happened… Are you afraid she’ll try to talk us out of it if we tell her we’re trying to help?”

“I’m almost certain she would. Something about it being her burden, probably. And even if we insisted on playing the game at that point, she’d never tell us anything.”

Beatrice taps a finger against her lips thoughtfully. “That’s a good point… So, we should keep from her we’re playing the game while fishing for information when we have the chance?”

“Precisely. And if we ever find anything useful…”

“Then she won’t be able to refuse us anymore. Sounds like a plan… Except for the part where we still don’t know where to find you a headgear.”

Melinda sighs as a loud table of boys across the cafeteria attracts her gaze. Though they’ve changed out of their kimonos, she still has no problem recognizing the group… Or remembering the subject of their last standoff.

“I’ll take care of it.”

“Okaaaaay… Just remember that if you get caught in whatever you’re about to do, we never had this conversation.”

Melinda almost smiles. Almost.

0