Chapter 1: Curiosity
41 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Eiji Haruto:

"Haruto! Where is your mind?"

"A-Ah I see. Sorry sir. I was just lost into some thoughts."

I was just scolded by my manager for spacing out. I, Eiji Haruto, was a second year high school student who currently was working my part time job in the convenience store. My works are usually be the cashier and helping out customers in need.

"It's okay about thinking. I also love thinking many things. Thinking improves your observation, resolution. But you should also remember not to overthink. Overthinking can damage your mental health."

Osako-san, the big bald old man who was the manager, advised me about something as usual. 

By the way, I wasn't thinking about anything. In fact, I was watching someone... very curiously

The convenience store in which I work is very close to the bus stop. And beside the bus stop, there was a bench for people to sit down. So, from here in the convenience store, I could see outside the people sitting on the bench. 

Right now, there was only one person sitting there. It was a girl who seemed to be around my age. 

Now, before you pick your pitchforks, let me tell you I'm not a pervert. The reason I was watching that girl with great curiosity was because... something wasn't right

The girl was here last night, which was Friday. I was leaving when I saw her sitting on the bench. She was wearing blue jeans and red cotton jacket. I didn't think too much and just left.

On Saturdays, I do mornings shifts in this store, so when I arrived at 9 AM, this girl was still there... at the same clothes. The clothes in the sunlight, looked a little dirty. She had a big bag with her. I stood there watching her and thinking if she had slept the whole night here on the bench. Even after many busses passed by, she never got up to anyone. 

I didn't know why, I felt really bad for her. Her face seemed as if something really bad had happened to her. Apparently she hadn't eaten anything either since I arrived. I knew as I was watching her constantly. 

I finally decided to take a chocolate bar and went to her outside. 

"Excuse me."

The girl looked at me. I could see the dark circles under her eyes. 

"Umm... can I ask you something?"

The girl looked me very carefully for a few seconds, then as if declaring me harmless, she answered, 

"Yes. What is it?"

"I... actually saw you last night too. And today also you're sitting here. Are you waiting for something?"

"No... It's just... I don't have any home."

"Eh..."

That's really surprising because she really didn't look like a girl having no home.

Suddenly I heard a growling sound. No need to mention, from whose stomach it was coming.

The girl's cheeks turned red in embarrassment. 

"I... I'm sorry.", she mumbled. 

"Nah! It's okay. You're probably hungry. I have this with me. You can take this."

I said as I showed her the chocolate bar.

"A-Ah... But it's yours..."

"Nah it's fine. I had this extra."

"O-Okay. Thanks."

She reluctantly took the bar from me. I found her this behaviour very cute. 

As she began eating that, I noticed she had some dark shades on her face.

"You look like a high schooler?", I asked.

"Yes I am... or at least I was."

"You were? What does that mean?"

"I'm sorry. But I can't tell you that."

"A-Ah it's okay! No problem."

It's not good asking everything after all.

"Can I ask your name?"

"Eh?"

Suddenly the girl asked my name which caught me off-guard. 

"Sorry. Should I not have asked?"

"Of course no! My name is Eiji Haruto. Second year high school guy from Kanagawa Public school."

"I see. Thank you, Eiji-san. You're a good person." 

I wasn't ready for this. Her sudden smile and thanks made my heart melt. 

"I-it's absolutely fine! By the way, what's your name?"

"I'm.... Baroto Nanami. I'm too a second year high schooler. Baroto isn't my real surname though."

"Eh? But... why then are you using it?"

"Again, I can't answer this. I'm sorry."

"Ah it's okay! I should be sorry for bothering you."

"No it's fine. Eiji-san is a very good person after all."

"Haruto! What are you doing outside?", my manager shouted from inside the store.

"Oh sh*t! I'm sorry, Baroto-san. I have to go now. Are you going to stay here for sometime?"

"Yes. I'm going to stay here."

"I see. So I'll probably meet you again."

I left her and returned to the store. Weirdly somehow, I felt so much happy after talking to her.

After a few minutes of helping a customer out, when I returned to the front door  I noticed that... the bench was empty

Eh? Did she leave?

But... she said she would be there...

My heart sank a little for some reasons. 

I went outside and looked at everywhere and then was about to go inside again.

Suddenly I heard a cry. A cry for help.

It was coming from the nearby narrow street between two buildings. 

The cry... was from none other than Baroto-san.

A.N.: Updates will be at an average of 3 chapters per week.

2