Chapter 3: Three Phone Calls
213 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

From the back seat of my taxi, I dialed my friend Kim Kyung's office. My phone call was answered in business Korean by one of Kim Kyung's secretary's assistants. In basic Korean, I introduced myself and requested a meeting. She asked me to wait before putting me on hold.

After five minutes of waiting, the assistant’s voice returned. This time she spoke in English, and I was able to get an appointment for 7:15 p.m.

When I got to my office. I made another call to Yo Chung-Ae, a lawyer acquaintance of mine.

“Alan Thomas, what are you calling for?” Yo Chung-Ae asked.

“I have a favor to ask.” I stated.

“Speak.”

“I was hoping you could give me a referral to a private investigator.”

There was a pause.

“Trouble at SYG?” Yo Chung-Ae asked.

“No, private matter.”

“I don’t think the company my firm employs would be a good fit for you. Their price is high.”

“How much?” I asked.

“At least a fifty million won.”

Fuck.

My savings would be quickly wiped out at this rate. I sincerely hope that my system was telling the truth about those financial awards.

“I have the money.”

Another pause.

“Expect a phone call in the next couple days. You owe me a referral and a bar tab.”

“Understood.”

Yo Chung-Ae hung up the phone.

“It’s a necessity.” I told myself.

The only thing I knew about Jang Hyo is that her mother was a French opera singer who passed away when she was young, and her father is a Korean businessman. What was her father’s business, and how clean was it? I had no clue.

I knew even less about most other at-risk celebs that were available for me to mentor, and my system could only provide me with information on their abilities and who was most likely to ruin their careers.

Given that it was a system for celebs who were doomed to have scandals, there was a high probability that my potential mentees had a messy background. If I was going to approach and mentor these individuals, it would be best to know what I was getting into.

I moved on from my thoughts of future problems as I had work to do. I had three classes to teach today.

The majority of my students were SYG Entertainment trainees, idols, and actors who attended one or two classes per week. Additionally, there were a few independent pupils like Jang Hyo.

Neither Jang Hya nor Un Yoon had class today.

Despite my efforts, I couldn’t keep my focus on my classes as I bumbled through the day’s lessons as my mind frequently drifted to what I had learned in the last twenty-four hours, my impending death, the coming loss of a sizable portion of my nest egg, and the meeting with Kim Kyung I had scheduled for tonight.

It was only when the aforementioned meeting was approaching that my mind started to regain its focus.

At 6:40, I hopped into a taxi and headed for the SYG Entertainment corporate offices. I arrived at Kim Kyung's office at 7:05.

I was met by a young female secretary’s assistant who appeared to have just graduated from college. She gave me coffee and placed me in the waiting room.

A minute later his secretary, Si Soomin, entered the waiting room.

“It’s good to see you again, Alan Thomas.” She said to me in English as she bowed and offer up a handshake.

I quickly got off the sofa and returned the bow and handshake.

“Such etiquette is wasted on me, Si Soomin. I’m just a has-been American actor.” I jokingly told her.

“Nonsense, senior is a valued member of our company.” She stated with a smile.

I gave her a polite smile in return, but I didn’t buy her sweet talk.

“You only need fifteen minutes?” She verified.

“Yes.”

“Well, Kim Kyung has thirty minutes set aside if necessary.”

“Thank you.”

“No thanks are need as I said you’re a valued senior.”

Si Soomin politely said goodbye, and I was once more left alone in the waiting room. I played around on my phone and sipped my coffee until Si Soomin returned and announced that Kim Kyung was ready to see me.

Kim Kyung grinned and welcomed me as I entered his office.

“Alan Thomas, my friend. What brings you to see me?” He asked as he gave me a firm handshake and a pat on the shoulder.

Kim Kyung was better-looking than most men in their forties.

He was born with a leg up in the world because his father was a successful lawyer, but his success as a businessman came from his ability to fit in. He was a man who could look just as natural with a hot dog and beer at a ballgame as he would in a fine dining establishment with a bottle of wine.

 “It is good to see you, Kyung-nim. Unfortunately, I come with unpleasant news.” I stated solemnly.

Kim Kyung's face grew serious, and he motioned for me to sit on one of his office’s coaches.

“What is it?” He asked me after we were both seated.

“I saw Rim Young having a sexual encounter with one of your talents.”

Kim Kyung face hardened.

“Lunar?” He asked.

I nodded.

Kim Kyung got up from the coach and started to pace back and forth. I could hear him mumbling in Korean a few choice words under his breath. In addition to some slang words that I didn’t comprehend.

I understood his loss of composure. The main undertaking of his department was Lunar. He would quickly lose his job if it failed.

He stopped pacing and looked at me.

“Your proof?” He asked me.

“I don’t have any.”

“Bullshit, you never stepped forward unless you had a card to play.”

"I was an actor then. Now I’m your man in the company. Would you really like me to delay this knowledge a few weeks. While I gather the information, I need to cover my ass?" I asked.

Kim Kyung stared at me as he decided whether to believe my words.

"I’ll investigate Rim Young. If your words prove true, there will be a bonus in your next paycheck." He said it as a way of dismissing me.

Kim Kyung walked to his desk with cellphone in hand. He was already talking to someone on the phone when I left the room.

No one in this office would get much sleep tonight.

I left SYG Entertainment corporate offices and took the subway home.

Early the next morning I received a phone call.

“Alan Thomas?” The female voice on the phone asked.

“Yes.” I answered.

“This is Choi Eui of SHM PI Inc. You’ve been referred to us by Yo Chung-Ae.

“We require new clients to provide an upfront payment of ten million won for initial services. Is this alright?” The lady on the phone asked me.

Yo Chung-Ae wasn’t lying.

“Would you accept 8K in US dollars?” I asked her.

“That is acceptable. When would you like your appointment?” She asked me.

“Would tomorrow be alright?” I asked, hoping for a weekend appointment.

“Would tomorrow at noon work for you?” She asked.

“Yes.”

“Then we look forward to seeing you then.”

3