Chapter 1.4: To the Empire’s Beating Heart
77 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Welcome to Palantti.” Ren was too astonished to reply.

The wagon, as it was currently, was climbing a tall, stone bridge that itself crossed an immense river. As it climbed higher, Ren continued to look out the wagon’s front opening to see a vast, colorful city before him.

Directly ahead was an endless metropolis, consisting of both ancient-appearing Roman architecture and much newer Victorian-esque constructions, providing an aesthetically beautiful mix of greens, pinks, and other vibrant shades coating the exterior walls of the city’s mansions, rowhouses, and storefronts, perfectly complementing the various shades of tans, greys, and browns that made up the majority of the older Roman structures. A mix of animal-drawn vehicles and primitive automobiles drove up and down the city’s old cobblestone streets. Off in the far distance, smokestacks could be seen; factories, perhaps?

“The Empire is in a pretty strange place right now,” Junling said, snapping Ren out of his daze. “Somewhere on the cusp on industrialization. A lot of people - well, mostly weird old village chiefs and magi - push back on it though.”

“How does that make any sense?"

Junling shrugged. “Dunno. Doesn’t make much sense to me. Guess they think they’ll be replaced. But it’s really slowed things down... partially. That's why you see such an odd mix.”

“Huh.”

Slowly but surely, the convoy made its way over the bridge and into the city’s hub, eventually stopping before a large, somewhat generically greco-roman building. Atop the building’s front porch, itself with several large pillars, an engraved sign read “NULLAM HENDRERIT IMPERATORIA”

“It says ‘Imperial Bureau of Immigration’, in case you’re wondering.” Junling pointed out.

“Kinda figured…” Ren grunted, dismounting from the wagon.

“I’m not getting off here with you, but - if you’re still planning on it - I’ll be at the Imperial Guard recruiting headquarters. They’ll direct you to it. Probably. Got some, uh, paperwork I’ve gotta do. See you around.” 

Ren waved Junling and the rest of the convoy off as it disappeared in the busy streets of Palantti. He turned around and walked up the staircase leading to the large, double-door entrance of his future life in Valantia. Finally, after what felt like forever, he had made it… somewhere.

 

•  •  •

 

“FINALLLLYYYY HOOOME!” Elia shouted, ‘pomf’ing onto a bed.

“Hey hey, don’t break that! We’re only here for the week, remember!” Sara said to her younger sister, making her pout. 

“Why do we have to stay here anyways, sis? Aren’t we supposed to be up at the imperial palace?” Elia enquired.

Sara sighed, putting her belongings in the room’s closet. “We’re here a week early, since our trip up north ended so… abruptly. This was our only option for the week.”

“But it’s soooo small. I thought uncle had a big house in Palantti?”

“He does, but all the guest rooms were already occupied. We’re lucky we could borrow his spare rowhouse on the other side of town at all…” Sara stopped putting away her large inventory of dresses for a moment, and turned around, smiling. “... but look on the bright side! We haven’t been to Palantti together in years! This could really be fun!”

Her smile faltered afterwards, and she went back to putting away her luggage “... I just wish we had brought along a maid, or uncle had provided one to us, or…” Sara angrily grumbled.

Elia, disinterested, got up from the bed and walked over to the window. The building, atop a small hill, had an excellent view of the city, and was in direct line of sight of the great Imperial Palace. The massive castle-like palace, seated far above the rest of the city and on the side of Valentia’s largest mountain, Mount Equilian, displayed itself with a colorful arrangement of lights as the sun began to set. Beyond Mt. Equilian, the northern mountain ranges, which they both had traveled through just hours before, stretched as far as the eye could see. Elia hadn’t seen it all in years, and it was something of an uncommon treat to her.

“I wish we were closer to Palantti, sis. It’s so pretty, but two days is too long of a trip…”

Sara chuckled. “Hopefully it won’t be as long anymore, once that rail-train system that Emperor Julias promised is in place.” She looked back at Elia. “Have you already unpacked your stuff in your room downstairs?”

Still somewhat dazzled by the sight out her window, Elia was slow to respond. “N-no, sis… I’ll… I’ll go do that now.”

 

•  •  •

 

Sara sighed and retreated into the rowhouse’s study as afternoon turned to evening, lighting a small desk candle. Having taken her bag with her, she took out her small diary and a pen and opened a new page, marking the date before pausing, then finally writing.

"I have not the time for an expansive entry to-night, for I am much too exhausted after two and a half days’ journey, but I shall write what I believe proper.

We have arrived in Palantti, but far earlier than we had hoped. The Emperor’s ceremony begins not today nor tomorrow, but the week following. Uncle Bram has proven exceedingly hospitable once again, and provided us with ample living for this mishap period.”

She paused again, but wrote on.

“I do not think Elia knows why we - or rather I - have come to attend this ceremony. It is not for the Empire’s sake, as much as I may show as such, but rather I am to meet some potential suitors. I hope to make father proud in doing so. Perhaps this time I may strike luck, and find love in the Emperor’s court, even with my circumstance.

In addition, I was able to rescue yet another outsider from the Northern Forest. This one male, and Anglish, I believe, in origin. I wish him the best.”

Sara yawned, taking it as a sign that she should call it a night. She closed and stowed away her diary before putting out the candle.

2