Chapter Two
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ronan looked down at the ragged man sprawled out on his couch. He cupped the hot mug of coffee in his hands and took a loud, exaggerated sip. Myles startled, nearly falling off the couch, and he groaned and squinted in the bright sunlight that streamed through the large windows. He looked up at Ronan and for a moment, it seemed he had completely forgotten about the fact that he had crashed on a stranger’s couch. 

“You said you would be gone in the morning,” Ronan said simply.

Myles scoffed and cleared his throat. “It’s morning.”

Ronan shrugged casually and turned away, exiting the living room and making his way across the hall and into the kitchen. “Do you like coffee?”

Myles let out a sigh, then pinched the bridge of his nose. “Uh, yeah. Sure.” He stood, stretched, and attempted to literally shake the grogginess from his head.

“You’re like a dog.”

Myles jumped at the voice. He turned as Ronan offered him a mug. “What?”

“A dog,” Ronan repeated. “Like a ragged, stray dog.”

Myles frowned. He accepted the coffee from Ronan. “Uh. Thanks.” But instead, he set the mug down on a table by the window. “Look, I’m leaving. I’ll get out of your hair. But, uh. Thanks for the couch.”

Ronan frowned. “I was only kidding,” he started. “If you… need to take some time, you can.”

Myles hesitated. “Why would you offer that to a stranger?”

Ronan shrugged. “I don’t know. You don’t seem like the creepy murderer type.”

“I could be.”

“You could be,” Ronan agreed. “Or, you could be just a guy that’s down on his luck or something. I’m not here to judge. But, you passed out on my beach, so I feel inclined to make sure you are well enough before sending you back out into the world.”

“You’re way too trusting,” Myles commented.

Ronan grinned. “Nah. I just looked through your wallet while you were passed out.”

“That… is not cool, man.”

“And now I know you’re Detective Malone. Most cops are pretty trustworthy guys. However, that only brings up more questions.” Ronan tapped his fingers against his mug.

Myles let out a short breath. “What?” he snapped.

“Well, naturally I’m curious about the circumstances that led to you passing out on the beach looking like a drunk, homeless man.”

“Be as curious as you want,” Myles said. “It’s none of your business.”

Ronan frowned. “I gave you a bed -”

“A couch.”

“I gave you coffee.”

“You snooped through my wallet.”

“I didn’t even call the cops like I said I would.” A sly smile pulled at his lips. “But, maybe I should, since they probably know you. They probably wouldn’t be too thrilled to hear about… whatever you were doing late last night.”

“Are you seriously trying to blackmail me right now?”

Ronan turned and made his way back toward the kitchen. “Indulge me. Do you like waffles?”

Myles let out a heavy sigh. He grabbed the coffee mug he had set down, took a sip, then followed Ronan into the kitchen. He sat at the island as Ronan slid two frozen waffles into the toaster.

“I thought you were making waffles.”

“I didn’t say I was making the waffles.” He turned to face Myles, leaning against the counter. “Where did you get that scar on your back?”

Myles looked down into his mug. “Uh. Cat.”

Ronan laughed. “Was it a mountain lion?”

“Yes.”

“So, what really happened?”

“It attacked a child,” Myles said. “Who had gone missing.”

“And I suppose you tracked it down and rescued the child and lived to tell the tale?”

“All in a day’s work.”

“I don’t think there are any mountain lions around here.”

“It was a shark.”

“Sharks don’t have claws.”

“A bear.”

“I hope you’re better at detecting than you are at lying.”

“It’s none of your business.”

“So it’s a secret.”

“Sure. It’s a secret.”

“Okay,” Ronan started. “Secret for secret, then.”

“No offense, but I really don’t give a fuck about your secrets.”

Ronan frowned. “Rude. And I thought we would become fast friends.”

“I don’t want to be your friend.”

“Then I guess there’s no room for you on my couch.”

Myles stood. “Fine. I didn’t want to be here anyway.”

“Fine. Leave.”

“Fine.” But Myles did not move. He hesitated, looking around briefly for a moment. 

“What are you waiting for?”

“I changed my mind,” Myles said, sitting down. “Let’s be best friends.”

Ronan narrowed his gaze on him. “You’re hiding from someone.”

“No, I’m not.”

“After whatever happened to you, you came out here to try to hide. And you accepted my invite so you wouldn’t be found. And now you plan to wait it out here as long as you can.”

“No,” Myles said slowly.

“Wow,” Ronan started. “You’re kind of a douche, aren’t you?”

Myles sighed. “Yeah. Sorry. It’s fine. I’ll leave.”

Ronan moved to a cabinet and took out a bottle of liquor. He poured some into his coffee, then offered it to Myles. Myles hesitated, accepted it, but instead he drank right out of the bottle.

“Your secret first,” Myles said.

Ronan frowned. “Well, that’s not fair. I asked you first.”

“I don’t think your’s is as big as mine.”

Ronan scoffed and Myles rolled his eyes. 

“I can guarantee you my secret is bigger,” Ronan said.

“That’s highly unlikely.”

“What if it is?”

Myles rolled his eyes again. “Then I’ll tell you mine.”

“But if its not, then you know my secret and I’m left vulnerable.”

“Did you break any laws?”

“No.”

“Then I probably won’t care or turn you in.”

“But you might tell people.”

“Who would I tell?”

“Everyone.” Ronan hesitated. “I live out here away from everyone for a reason.”

“Fine,” Myles said. “I promise I won’t tell anyone.”

Ronan sipped his coffee, then set the mug on the counter. “Fine. I’m feeling parched, anyway.” Without further explanation, Ronan turned and made his way outside onto the back dock through the sliding glass door.

Myles watched curiously as he made his way down to the end of the dock, then dove into the water. He turned back to his coffee, contemplating his options for a moment, then stood with a heavy sigh and made his way outside. He walked to the edge of the dock, but Ronan was nowhere to be found. He turned around for a moment, his brows furrowed, jumping slightly when he heard a splash. He turned towards the sound, but no one was there. Another splash came from behind him, this time drenching him in water. When he turned around again, he finally saw Ronan in the water.

And he had a tail.

Myles lept back in shock, slipping at the edge and immediately falling into the water. Below the surface, he opened his eyes and just caught a flash of a green tail dart by him. He pulled himself to the surface, then swamp towards the ladder on the edge of the dock, pulling himself back up. He sat on the edge, letting his feet dangle over into the water, and waited for his breathing to slow. 

Ronan surfaced in front of him and grinned.

“You’re pretty jumpy for a detective.”

Myles gestured to Ronan with both hands. “You’re a fucking merman!”

Ronan looked down at himself in shock. “Holy shit, I am!”

Myles rolled his eyes and got to his feet, muttering to himself.

Ronan pushed himself up onto the dock, his fins morphing back into human legs, and he stood. “I don’t think you can beat that.”

Myles folded his arms over his chest and glanced at him. “I don’t think you’re as mysterious as you think you are.”

“I’m mysterious! Have you ever seen a mermaid?”

“No,” Myles started. “But everyone around here claims they’ve seen one.”

“Doesn’t mean they’re real.”

Myles gestured to Ronan, looking him up and down. “Clearly, you are.”

“Whatever. What’s your deal, then?”

Myles frowned. “Well,” he started. “I guess maybe we could call it a draw.”

“Are you a merman, too?”

“No.” Myles hesitated. “The scar on my back is from a werewolf. It happened when I was attacked. When I was turned.”

Ronan laughed. “Wait, you can’t expect me to believe that.”

“I believe you’re a merman!”

“Yeah, because you saw it!”

“The reason I was on the beach was because I had turned. Or, turned back, anyway.”

Ronan held his gaze on Myles for a moment, considering this. “It was a full moon last night.”

“Yeah. It was.”

“So, it’s true? You turn on a full moon?”

“Uh. At first, yeah.”

“At first?”

“Some of the more… experienced people… can control it.”

“There are more?”

“How the hell do you think I became one?”

Ronan frowned. “Are they gonna come and kill me?”

Myles rolled his eyes. “No. They would have no interest in you.”

“So, why you?”

Myles hesitated. “Why are you a merman?”

Ronan’s frown deepend. “I don’t know,” he said softly. “I have no memory of my life before. I’m sure I had a life. As, you know, a regular human.” He hesitated. “But this is my life, now.”

Myles frowned. “How long?”

“A few years. You?”

Myles scratched the back of his head. “Uh. That was only my second transformation.”

Ronan smiled. “Aw. You’re just a pup.”

“Shut up,” Myles hissed.

“A cute little baby wolfman.”

“I’m not a wolfman.”

“Well, look at us,” Ronan said. “Guess we were destined to meet afterall.”

0