Chapter Four
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“You’re doing it wrong.”

Ronan rolled his eyes. “How do you cook steak wrong?”

Myles pushed him out of the way, taking his place in front of the grill. He stabbed a knife into the cut of steak and frowned. “By overcooking it.”

“Do you want the damn thing still mooing?” Ronan sneered.

“If that were an option, yes.”

“You are such a dude.”

“I like my steak cooked the right way.”

“You’re impossible.”

Myles pulled the steak off the grill and onto a plate. “Yeah? Well how about next time we eat fish.”

Ronan folded his arms over his chest. “If you’re trying to offend me, you cannot. I love seafood.”

Myles turned to him wide-eyed. “You’re a monster.”

“Oh, very funny.” He grabbed the plate from Myles and made his way in the house.

Myles grinned. “Yeah, I know. But you still suck at cooking steak.”

“Then I will leave all the meat cooking to you, my dear Wolfman.”

“Hmp.” Myles sat at the island and stabbed a fork into his steak. “So, what do you do, anyway? You have a job or something?”

“Well, this place isn’t free,” Ronan said flatly. “I work at a little coffee shop in town.”

“Ah.”

“We can’t all be interesting detectives.”

“I’m not interesting.”

“So, how does one become a runaway detective? I’d imagine you can’t just get a new job without proper references. And if you have some kind of criminal background, then it’s unlikely you would have used your previous boss as a reference.”

Myles looked up from his dinner and narrowed his eyes at Ronan. “The clan helped me get a job.”

“So, you fudged your resume.”

Myles shrugged and returned to his meal. “My resume is accurate. There wasn’t much to fudge.”

“Is Malone even your real name?”

“We help each other out,” Myles said, choosing to ignore Ronan’s question. “It’s not easy starting a new life as a werewolf.”

Ronan chewed his steak thoughtfully, holding his gaze on Myles. “I told you you were interesting.”

“Look,” Myles started. “I kind of have a lot to figure out here. Please don’t make it difficult for me.”

Ronan put his hands in the air defensively. “I did not mean to suggest that I would,” he started. “I just like to get to know the strange men that take up residency with me.”

“This was your idea,” Myles said as he carved further into his steak. “I warned you against it.”

“I don’t mind harboring you from dangerous werewolf clans,” Ronan said. “But I would think you could be a little more appreciative in return.”

Myles frowned. “This is a bad idea.”

“It’s not,” Ronan said. “Us supernaturals have to help each other out, right?”

Myles sighed. “Just until I figure some things out.”

“Sure. As long as you pitch in around here. You eat other things besides steak, right?”

Myles smiled. “I’m a werewolf, not a dog.”

“As long as you pay me rent, I don’t care what you are.”

“Deal.”

 

*****

 

“Caramel cappuccino.”

“So, how come you’ve never talked about this Myles guy?”

Ronan stepped around Nikki as he set the drink order on the counter. “It never came up.”

Nikki folded her arms over her chest. “You’ve been friends with this guy apparently forever and you never once mentioned him,” she said. “And now out of the blue he comes over to stay with you?”

“He’s just… down on his luck.”

“And he’s living with you?”

Ronan nodded.

“For how long?”

Ronan shrugged. “I don’t know. Until he figures some things out.”

“Is he cute?”

Ronan looked up thoughtfully. “He’s got that rough, tough guy thing going. So, if you’re into that.”

“Is he muscular?” she said dreamily.

“Yeah. I think he kinda has to be, you know? Mr. Big Shot Detective.”

“He sounds dark and mysterious.”

“You need to get laid,” Ronan muttered.

“I do. Is he an option?”

Ronan rolled his eyes and stepped around her, busying himself as he organized the counter, taking a moment to enjoy the lull in the coffee shop. 

“Come on,” Nikki whined. “I wanna meet him!”

“Give him a damn chance to get settled.”

“Fine. But promise me we can meet him?”

“Maybe. If he’s up for it.”

“He’s single, right?”

“I think so.”

“You think so?”

“I haven’t gotten much out of him.”

“So sexy,” Nikki whispered. 

“You have a problem.”

“I’ve been reading too many romance novels,” she said simply. “I have succumbed to the dark and mysterious trope.”

“Am I dark and mysterious?”

Nikki laughed loudly and Ronan frowned.

“I think you’re more the romantic type.”

Ronan tilted his head to the side, considering this. “I can do romantic. Girls like that, right?”

“Of course.”

“Well, if you’re gonna go after Myles, then you better hook me up in return.”

“I don’t have any single girl friends!”

“Sure.”

“Aw, don’t be like that. You’re a catch.”

Ronan snorted.

“What’s so funny?”

“Nothing,” he said quickly. “I need to get laid.”

Nikki grinned. “We’ll scope out someone for ya. I’ll wingman ya!”

“Remember what happened last time you did that?”

“She was cute!”

“She wouldn’t stop calling me!”

“Well, stop being such a dreamboat.” She winked at him.

“I can’t help that I’ve been cursed with strikingly good looks.”

“I hate to say it, but you’re getting old,” Nikki started. “Women aren’t gonna be as interested in one night stands. They see those baby blues and all they can think of are cute little blonde haired, blue eyed babies.”

“Yeah,” Ronan started slowly. “I’m just never gonna be that guy.”

“Can’t say I blame ya,” Nikki said, wrinkling her nose. “Can you imagine changing smelly diapers for the rest of your life?”

“Most babies grow up and wipe their own asses,” Ronan commented.

“Yeah, but like, then they turn into assholes who mooch off of you for eighteen plus years, and by the time you get rid of them, you’re too old to wipe your own ass.”

Ronan grinned. “It’s awful, isn’t it?”

“Why do people put themselves through that hell?”

“No idea.”

“Myles doesn’t have kids, right?”

“I don’t think so.”

“Sounds like he could use some stress relief.” She wiggled her eyebrows at him.

“I promise, when he’s settled, I’ll make sure to present all his stress relieving options to him.”

“Excellent.” She put a hand on his shoulder. “I appreciate everything you do for me. I promise I’ll find someone for you, too.”

Ronan frowned. “Last time -”

“That was one time!” Nikki barked at him. The door opened, and she turned to the group of women that entered. “Well, hey there, ladies. You here for the weekend? Having a good time?”

“Hell, yeah,” one of the women shouted. “Bachelorette weekend!”

Nikki turned to Ronan and grinned. 

“Nikki, no,” Ronan muttered.

“Can I interest you in a lovely local to show you the sights?” Nikki said, gesturing to Ronan.

Another woman leaned flirtatiously on the counter. “Maybe.”

A third woman elbowed her sharply and pushed her aside. “Stop being so thirsty.”

“Can we just get our damn coffee?” A fourth woman, still wearing sunglasses and her hair pulled back in a messy ponytail was sneering at her friends.

“Six coffees, coming up,” Nikki said, stepping away to prepare their drinks.

“So, you gonna show us around later?” the second woman said with a flirtatious smile.

“I’m sorry,” Ronan said. “I’ve got plans tonight.”

Nikki sighed loudly from the coffee station.

“Too bad,” the woman said.

“We’ve got strippers tonight,” another woman reminded her, and she considered this with a thoughtful grin.

Nikki returned with the coffees, sliding them across the counter. The women paid, dropping cash in the tip jar, and left, hurrying across the street and to the beach, cheering and shouting and taking selfies.

“Bachelorette party!” Nikki nearly shouted to him.

Ronan offered her an apologetic smile. “Next time,” he said.

“This Myles guy must be pretty special,” she said.

“Don’t worry,” Ronan started. “You’re still my best friend.”

“Hey, I wouldn’t dream of coming between you two. But in all seriousness, I hope he’s okay. You’re a good friend to be helping him out. And when he’s ready to have a little fun, you know where to find me!”

0