Whispers in the Moonlit Bookstore
15 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

-

The bookstore was filled with the sound of a sudden outburst, catching the attention of casual shoppers of all ages. Two high school-aged kids found themselves thrust into a conflicting world as their peaceful browsing was disrupted. The girl, her voice laden with frustration, nearly spilled her coffee in the midst of her outburst as she abruptly rose from her seat to address her boyfriend's apparent lack of understanding.

The aroma of freshly brewed coffee permeated the air, intermingling with the subtle scent of aged books. Soft jazz music played in the background, its mellow melodies providing a calming ambiance to the moonlit bookstore and lounge. Aiko's voice, trembling with frustration, pierced through the serene atmosphere, momentarily drowning out the soothing jazz. Her tear-filled eyes glistened under the warm glow of the bookstore's lights, reflecting the mix of emotions swirling within her. The clinking of cups and the murmurs of other patrons seemed to fade into the background, leaving only Aiko and Hiroshi in their world of tangled emotions.

"It's not that you were hanging out with that girl that bothers me! But I would have appreciated if you hadn't kept it a secret from me..."

Her cheeks were wet with tears as her voice grew louder, her words trembling. The moment she heard her thoughts uttered aloud, her confidence wavered.

Taken aback, the boyfriend was surprised by the sudden eruption and the source of her distress. They had been enjoying themselves as they always did, visiting the moonlit bookstore and lounge, one of their favorite spots to unwind. They would often grab coffee from the neighboring store and spend time reading books, discussing their day together a few times a week.

"Aiko-chan, what are you talking about?" The boyfriend's flustered expression betrayed his attempt to hide the truth. He knew exactly what Aiko was referring to, but his feigned ignorance wasn't convincing.

"Don't play dumb with me! I saw you yesterday. You two were walking together, and she had the biggest smile on her face!"

Aiko took a seat, trying to compose herself. She shifted uncomfortably, realizing she was causing a scene and feeling a tinge of embarrassment. However, the sadness was evident on her face.

"Hiroshi, I saw her. She was beautiful, and your face was flushed... She... she..."

Tears continued to stream down her cheeks as she struggled to find the right words.

"She made you smile in a way I thought only I could."

The floodgates opened, and her trickling tears turned into a steady stream. Aiko sobbed, unable to restrain her emotions any longer. She attempted to lower her volume, not wanting to believe she was the type of person who would create a scene in a public place like this. Nevertheless, she couldn't suppress the overwhelming emotions she was feeling.

"Aiko-chan..." Hiroshi Tanaka stood up from his seat, his focus solely on Aiko. He seemed oblivious to the presence of anyone else in the bookstore. His expression was gentle and reassuring, the face of someone genuinely caring and dependable. 

Aiko's vision was blurry, but she could discern a hand reaching out to her. She initially turned away and closed her eyes, but she was taken aback when she felt her tears being wiped away. Opening one her eyes slightly, she saw Hiroshi's reassuring expression, and to her surprise, she had stopped crying, with two teardrops clinging to the corners of her eyes. 

"Of course I would smile and blush with that girl, she's my aunt!" Hiroshi chuckled and a wide, toothy smile spread across his face. 

 Aiko stared at him blankly and shifted her body away. Confused and still somewhat angry, she demanded an explanation from Hiroshi.

"Her name is Aya Tanaka, she's my mom's younger sister," Hiroshi began to explain. "She came to visit from Aomori Prefecture, and I was showing her around. She's just one year younger than me and enjoys teasing me about it."

Aiko didn't know why she was asking Hiroshi this, but she persisted, "Then why were you blushing?"

"Um, well... you know," Hiroshi hesitated before continuing, "she was teasing and saying how I used to be a snotty little brat, always playing pranks on her whenever we visited, and how I've grown up to be a handsome young man."

Hiroshi appeared extremely embarrassed at this point.

"Is that all?" Aiko looked at him pleadingly, wanting him to say more.

Hiroshi's face grew redder by the second. "She kept asking me about you. Apparently, she heard from Mom that you and I were dating, and..." He paused, gathering his thoughts. "And Mom showed her your photo. Aya kept teasing me about being the boyfriend of someone as beautiful as you..."

Hiroshi's face turned as red as a tomato, and he wore the same wavy, embarrassed smile that Aiko had witnessed when he was with his aunt. 

Aiko found herself smiling in relief and then became embarrassed by her own reaction. Both of them looked away, their eyes shut, unsure of what to say next.

"Ummm..."

Aiko found herself unsure of what to say, a mixture of happiness and embarrassment bubbling within her.

"I'm sorry..."

Her voice trembled as she attempted to apologize, fully expecting Hiroshi to be angry or perhaps even suggest breaking up. Aiko believed she had caused quite a scene. 

"I... I... I'm..."

Her trembling intensified as she struggled to find the right words. However, before she could finish, Hiroshi grabbed her hand and swiftly pulled her up from her seat. Aiko was taken aback, feeling as though her body moved on its own accord. In an instant, she found herself wrapped in Hiroshi's embrace, her head resting against his shoulder.

"I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I want you to know that you're the only one for me," Hiroshi whispered, his voice filled with sincerity.

Aiko was surprised. Hiroshi wasn't typically forceful, and public displays of affection made him bashful.

"Hiroshi..." Aiko squeaked, her voice filled with a mix of affection and embarrassment. "Um... could you let go? Everybody is looking at us..."

Hiroshi heard her plea, his heart sinking to the pit of his stomach. He felt his body weaken, his legs threatening to give way beneath him. Just in the nick of time, he managed to steady himself. Holding Aiko by her shoulders at arm's length, he stuttered, "I... I know... uh, would you like to come over and meet my aunt?"

Aiko was taken aback by the unexpected suggestion but understood that Hiroshi wanted to leave the bookstore. With a wide smile that tugged at her cheeks, she agreed. Hiroshi's heartstrings were pulled at the sight of her smile, and he hurriedly gathered their belongings. He apologized at the door with a deep bow, then scurried off, pulling Aiko along as he tightly grasped her hand.

-

The bookstore was filled with murmurs after the emotional scene unfolded before everyone. Older women giggled while some men smiled reminiscently. A curious little girl asked her mother what had just happened, and her mother replied that she would understand when she was older.

Gradually, the atmosphere settled in the moonlit bookstore and lounge as people resumed their usual activities.

"Aw man! What a beautiful exchange of emotions. Aiko-chan was so pent up, holding in her frustrations until she couldn't anymore. And Hiroshi was so cool and composed when confronted! But he couldn't keep his composure at the end! Anyone would have a hard time maintaining a straight face after calling a girl beautiful... especially when she reacts like that!"

Souji Natsume, a young boy approaching adulthood, had been behind one of the bookshelves the whole time. He was organizing some books he had read that week, placing them back on the shelves. Peeking through a small gap between the books, he observed everything firsthand.

"The way she blushed and was lost for words... she was probably worried about Hiroshi-chan getting upset and was on the verge of tears. Poor Aiko-chan, I could sense her inner conflict, and I really hoped Hiroshi-chan would make her feel safe... AND HE DID!" Souji couldn't help but let out a little sigh, elated that things had worked out between the two. 

He had been watching Hiroshi and Aiko ever since they started coming to his mom's bookstore two months ago. Souji would assist them in finding books to read each time, and he eagerly looked forward to hearing how much they enjoyed them. Hiroshi Tanaka and Aiko Suzuki had only met three months ago, and their relationship had started off timidly. However, their shared love of books had brought them closer, and now they had overcome their first fight.

"It's a shame they had to hash it out in public, though I'm sure they'll look back at this situation as a funny and awkward memory in the years to come." Souji thought to himself. He decided he would recommend them a romance book with stories of overcoming hardships and growing closer than ever. He knew quite a few romance books and TV shows on that topic.

"Although, I hope Aiko-chan can overcome her inferiority complex. It seems like she's had a few heartbreaks in the past that ended that way and she fears Hiroshi might leave her too," Souji reflected, his heart tightening. He knew all too well the pain of unrequited love and the feeling of inadequacy when someone you care about chooses someone else. Souji was certain that Aiko had experienced such heartache, and it made him feel a twinge of pain, as if his own heart had been wounded.

"Aaah, what's wrong with me? Here I go again, letting my heart spill out. But surely, things will work out... right?"

Souji couldn't shake off a nagging feeling that things could spiral out of control in the future. While he hoped for a positive outcome, his time spent working at the bookstore had given him a keen understanding of people. He had witnessed their stories, engaged in deep and meaningful conversations, and listened to their troubles as they sought solace in sharing with him.

"Argh! What am I? A bartender?" Souji would mutter to himself, pretending to dislike being relied upon by strangers. But deep down, he knew he was lying. Among his own interests in all things romance, he had consumed an ungodly amount of media—classic and modern novels, movies, and shows, both Japanese and foreign. In fact, if there was an obscure romance or soap opera from the other end of the world, there was a good chance he had seen it. Souji couldn't deny that he had an absolute love for the genre, devouring anything remotely affectionate. 

During his breaks from work, he often found himself at the café next door. Many of the bookstore patrons frequented the café as well, sipping coffee and people-watching. If he wasn't observing people in the bookstore, he would be observing them at the café, the local park, school—anywhere. Souji was the type of person who absorbed everything around him, deeply aware of his surroundings. 

The truth was, Souji had never had a girlfriend, never experienced heartbreak, and had never been involved in a romantic relationship. His books and shows were his closest companions, shaping his perception of love and relationships.

Yet, deep down, Souji yearned for his own romantic journey. He yearned for the heart-fluttering moments, the shared laughter, and the bittersweet emotions that came with love. He longed to experience the highs and lows of a genuine connection, not just as an observer but as an active participant.

And perhaps, as fate would have it, the intricate dance of love was about to unfold in ways Souji could have never anticipated.

-

end of chapter one 

1