Embra and the Cracked Crystal
43 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*This story is based on characters and concepts from the Shantae video game series - with considerable spoilers for Shantae and the Seven Sirens. Those characters and concepts belong to WayForward and creators Matt and Erin Bozon. Some characters featured in this story are LGBTQ - I would hope you read on, but I can't force you to...

Embra and the Cracked Crystal

Embra examined the footprints in the snow. These were fresh. She was on the right trail. Maybe.

Ever since she reunited with her parents - and a half-genie sister, Star, who shared the same genie lineage she was now a part of - she had been spending her weekends with her family in her homeland, the ever-cold Northern Light. With everyone reunited, she and her parents started living with Star at her place, converting their old log cabin into the city's newest meat shop.

True to their name, the Huntsmans never lost their touch, even after over a decade of travelling. Some even say their zombification was a blessing in disguise, keeping them hidden from the monsters used to the smell of humans hunting them.

Embra was too young at the time to learn how to hunt, and quite frankly, she probably needed more time to learn. But given the target, her unique skills as a half-genie were necessary to take the beast down. Besides, even she wanted revenge on the monster that took her parents away from her.

The locals called it Cold Death. It was an older Grizzly Wolf, an already terrifying and ornery wolf-bear hybrid monster that called the north its home. This particular one was ruthless, smart, huge, and true to its name, cold. Many of its victims were not meals, left to freeze and rot in the frozen wilds after it killed them. Among its victims; Avor and Emilia Huntsman.

It was a menace, and it had to be put down for everyone's sake.

Embra knew her mom was off in the distance. She brought her trusty bow with her, as well as a decade's worth of new knowledge on how to use it and bring down certain monsters. All Embra had to do was be bait. Given her new physiology, she could withstand more than the average person, and her powers would allow her to trick this intelligent beast into letting its guard down.

She followed the tracks into a thick forest. Perfect, she thought, I can see and sense whatever is in darkness. This monster won't know what hit it!

Deeper and deeper into the thicket she went. Then it started. Leaves rustled. Twigs in the snow cracked. Embra held her staff up, ready for what was coming.

She let darkness be her eyes. She felt all that was around her. And she could sense it. Cold Death. The huge beast with a scarred right eye and several broken blades and shafts embedded throughout its body.

She heard the tales of how it would stop pursuit and flee the moment it realized it had been spotted. It likely didn't know she already found it, so she made no sudden moves. She sensed it moving into position to strike at her back, the opportunist it was known to be.

Deep, guttural growling came from the bushes behind her. Embra kept her cool, knowing that it wasn't quite ready to strike. The massive wolf beast rose from the bushes. It roared as it readied to pounce on her.

Embra spun around and threw the shaft of her staff in front of her. Wood cracked and metal bent as the beast crushed it within its powerful jaw. "Now!" she yelled.

The massive beast let out a surprised yipe as an arrow plunged into its back. The beast lost its strength and fell onto her, slain by the well-placed shot.

Embra squirmed underneath it. She clearly wasn't strong enough to push the 1000-pound (or more) monster carcass off of her. She decided to save her strength and slip through the shadows they created to get herself free. She pulled herself out of the bushes as her mom, Emilia, arrived with a bow in her hand.

"Great shot, mom!" Embra said as she gave Emilia a hug.

"You don't know how good it felt to take that one down. I recognize the scar over its right eye. I remember that's the one that got us," she said as she investigated the monster. "It sounds like this ornery beast has survived everything thrown at it out of sheer spite - until today."

"You still got it, mom! Even now, you're a great hunter!"

"Why thank you! Think you can help get this thing over to the storage room at the store?"

Embra snapped her fingers and the monster fell through its own shadow, presumably to the place in question. She didn't need to do anything but think, but she might as well play around with it. Although this was a serious mission, weekends were also her time to relax and reconnect. She didn't have to join the hunt today; she just wanted to. Besides, her powers were likely key to bringing it down.

"How are you doing, sweetie?"

"Well, that was exciting, that's for sure! My heart is still racing!"

"Thrill of the hunt. Mine would be too, but you know, zombie."

"We should get back now. A lone grizzly wolf has enough meat for a few families - especially one that old and huge - so we really don't need to find anything else."

"Um, mom, don't you need to satisfy your brain craving?"

"It can wait. No doubt, your father is already working on that for us. He's probably working on the Grizzly Wolf we just sent him."

"That's true."

Embra and her mom started towards the city when Emilia tripped on something, falling face first into the snow.

"Mom! Are you okay?!"

Emilia picked herself out of the snow. "I'm fine. Everything still seems to be attached, at least."

"What the heck did you trip on?"

"I don't know. Let's-"

Then they both saw it. The glow from underneath the snow. Embra thought she knew what this was...

"Mom, you just found a Genie Crystal!"

Emilia knew even more, though: "No, this is a Hyper Crystal!"

"Hyper Crystal?"

"It's the same kind Lumina made for you. It's designed for one person, made to grant them the powers of a half-genie - you can tell by the greater glow it has!"

Embra looked closer. "It looks broken. How long has this been here?"

"Longer than you were gone, maybe? It made its way here and got buried in the snow. But how can it be broken? It's pure magic, and natural forces can't fracture it..."

"So, it was meant for someone other than me, then..." Then she had a thought, one she didn't like. "Could the person it was meant for no longer be among the living?"

She reached in and touched it, and she felt a surge of magic flow straight into her mind. She saw the dark depths of a coastal island. They were strange, highly advanced technology all around, but very old.

A...... ..al. .o.e ...m .. ..i... .... ....w. .r... .y ....tal .. m..

Embra couldn't make out the voice. It was muffled beyond recognition. She would have to figure it out later.

"Let's just take this with us. We can figure out what's going on with it later..." Embra said as she picked it up.

=== At the Huntsman residence. ===

Emilia looked at the monster head lying on the counter. "You know, before we became zombies, we were absolutely revolted by the thought of eating another living thing's brain. It was hard to stomach those cravings at first..." she said, her voice trailing off. "Those days are long gone! Honey, could you hand me the melon scooper? And the seasoning?"

As the Huntsman parents prepared to satisfy their zombie cravings, the half-genie sisters were upstairs in Star's room, looking over the Hyper Crystal.

"Yeah, I couldn't make out the message either," Star remarked. "It's like a whisper coming from the deepest part of the underworld."

"What about the images?"

"Seems like they might be old-world, but it's a level of technology we don't usually see. Way more advanced. Buried underwater? I can't even fathom what this place is."

"Why would we be getting a message and images from this? Shantae didn't mention anything about that with my Hyper Crystal."

"Could have something to do with the fractures. I don't know anything about Hyper Crystals..."

"I wish I knew more myself. All I know is what mom told me, that they're made by Guardian Genies for those who they wish to give half-genie powers to. Beyond that..."

Ding-Dong! The doorbell rang. Star and Embra both made their way to the front door, to be greeted by a pair of familiar faces.

"Oh, hello Mayor Shelly!" said Star.

"Wait, Harmony too?!" exclaimed Embra.

"Well, this is a surprise," said Harmony, "I didn't expect to see you here..."

"Oh, um... I'm actually Embra Huntsman, the daughter of Avor and Emilia. I found out on my last trip here a couple of weeks ago that they were zombified and looking for me, not dead."

"I had heard the tale, but I didn't realize that was you they were looking for."

"I've been living here since, using my powers to get me to Sequin Land for the week, then coming here to spend my weekends."

"It does explain some things..." She had heard that Embra had been vanishing the past couple of weekends from Sequin Land after her original trip up north, only to reappear during the week. Only a handful probably knew this was why.

Star wrapped her arm around Embra and pulled her closer. "We also share the same genie lineage, so we're sisters too!"

"I suppose that makes sense. I know Lumina wrote the messages for you and Embra, but I didn't know what to make of Embra's messages while I still had the scrapbook..."

"Anyway, do you mind if we come in?" asked the Mayor. "This is actually official genie business today."

"Oh, come on in! Sorry for any messes, our parents were just working out their zombie stuff..." But as Star turned to look at the kitchen, it was spotless. She saw her adoptive parents, smiling.

"We may be zombies, but we make sure to keep it civilized," said Avor.

Everyone sat down in the living room. "So, 'official genie business,' Harmony's here... Is it really serious?" Star asked.

"Ever since I sent you to Cliff Town - and you came back a mess - I have been reluctant to send you out to establish trading with other places. I needed a second opinion on a new place that has opened its doors to us..."

"Siren Island," replied Harmony. "Tree Town there has its own half-genie guardian, Vera, as well as Armor Town and the newly minted Siren City. They have been rebuilding since the Siren Empress was defeated by Shantae and the Lobster Siren took control. They wish to finally have friendly relations with others instead of consuming them."

"Consuming them?" Embra asked hesitantly.

"Sirens have the capacity to feast on life force," Harmony explained, "but since Shantae defeated the Empress, the surviving Sirens have changed their ways. They have aligned with the Lobster Siren's stance of not harming people, to do good with their power and knowledge."

It put Embra at ease. "That's good..."

"How come they've reached out?" asked Star.

"Their underwater complex needs a lot of work to become habitable. There's many years' worth of damage to fix, and not a lot of supplies to fix it with. They are trying to expand the place for more people to come and live there," Harmony explained. "Word reached them that Northern Light has some technological expertise."

"Wait, underwater complex?" both of the half-genie sisters asked at the same time.

Harmony looked puzzled. "Is there something I should know about?"

"Yeah, actually..." Star handed Harmony the Hyper Crystal.

"A Genie Crystal... No, this is something different, more powerful..." said Harmony as she examined the glowing crystal.

"It's a crystal just like the one that made me a half-genie," Embra replied. "My mom said this is a Hyper Crystal, a Genie Crystal made for someone specific to give them half-genie powers. That's what she learned from Lumina, at least."

Harmony held the crystal and looked deep in thought. She opened her eyes. "Yes, this is the deepest part of Siren Island. When did you find this?"

"Earlier today, actually."

"That cannot be coincidence. I couldn't make out the voice that came with it, but I imagine we would get answers if we took it to the depths of the island."

"Well, how about we all go?" asked Shelly. "It seems there's this business with the magic crystal there that needs attending, and Star and I can work on a trade deal with the Sirens and other people of the island."

"Embra and I can traverse the depths of the island to see if we can find some answers... I know there are still things I want to learn down there, but I haven't had the time to return..."

"Wait, you and my sister get to go on an adventure while I get stuck playing politics?"

"Star, I think you are going to enjoy it more than you think," Shelly said with a wink. Star turned a little red, although Harmony and Embra weren't entirely sure why.

"Hey, I suppose if I am coming along... Do we NEED to set out today, when I can just use my powers to take us back to Sequin Land?" Embra asked.

"That is a fantastic idea!" said Harmony. "We scheduled a flight out in a week so we could have enough time to hike back. Besides..." She looked at Star. "There is someone else we can ask about this."

"Wait, who?"

Harmony looked at Star. "You didn't tell her?"

"Uhhh... I was going to get around to it?" She seemed confused she hadn't told her sister something this important yet.

"It seems we have some explaining to do..."

=== An hour later, outside the city. ===

"I didn't think there was a place anyone could summon the Guardian Genies to..." said Embra, still trying to absorb the information Harmony and Star just relayed to her.

"The thought is that there are places that the Genie Realm touches the mortal world," Harmony explained. "The Otherworldly Fountain here is one of them."

"I have been able to talk with mom on several occasions. All I need is a Genie Crystal to summon her," Star added. "The Hyper Crystal will probably be more than enough. It probably won't even be sacrificed in the process."

"It's thought Sequin Land had one, but I haven't felt a connection there since Risky Boots tried to invert the Genie Realm. Whatever methods she used, whatever happened when Shantae intervened, the bridge there was destroyed."

As they moved through the cave, Embra could sense this "connection" they were talking about. The further they went, the more she felt a warm buzz throughout her body. She felt the welling up of Light Magic coming from the Genie Realm.

After a few more minutes, the trio of half-genies made it into the deepest chamber. Embra was in awe of the sight: the chamber was an underground lake that glowed with an ethereal light. At its center was a geyser that shot upward, filled with a rainbow of light. It was beautiful.

Star pulled out the Hyper Crystal and offered it to the lake. "I call upon the Guardian Genie of Light, Lumina. I offer this Hyper Crystal for time to speak with her and gain her insight!"

The Hyper Crystal rose from her hands. It dimmed slightly as magic drained from it and moved towards the lake's center. However, the magic within the crystal regenerated, and the crystal was back to its full glow. It gently floated back into Star's hands.

Meanwhile, the magic that was released began to collect into a glowing ball. It grew and expanded into a humanoid shape - a shape that became more womanly by the second. Finally, features could be defined, from her blue skin to the genie's outfit, themed around light. Embra distinctly remembered this being Lumina's appearance to her the first time she met her.

Lumina slowly floated her way down to the outcropping, her skin taking a dark brown color as she finalized her "mortal" appearance. Her eyes opened to a soft yellow.

"Hello there, my beautiful daughters. And Harmony too," Lumina greeted them. She turned to Embra. "You turned out even more beautiful than I imagined."

Embra turned bright red. "Th-thank you!" she stuttered. "For everything..."

"I did not expect to be summoned to the mortal realm with a Hyper Crystal, a cracked one at that. I will assume this is the reason you summoned me here?"

"It is," answered Harmony.

"We know you made one for Embra, so we assumed you would know the most about them. Can you tell us more?"

"I can. Although my Hyper Crystal for Embra was the first, other genies adopted the idea, choosing other mortals they felt would be good mortal Guardian Genies. I did not make this crystal, so it is bound to the one who created it."

"Who would that be?" asked Star. "It seems to have a message, but we can't make it out. All we seem to know is it seems to be coming from Siren Island..."

"Let me see." Star handed Lumina the crystal. "'Answers shall come from my spirit deep below. Bring my crystal to me.' That is the message."

"Wow, mom, that's amazing!" Star glowed, impressed by how easily she was able to interpret the message.

"'My spirit deep below?' Does that mean... The genie who made this died?" Embra asked.

"I would have expected no less of a question from you. Yes, the genie who created this crystal has passed on..."

"But you're immortal, right?" asked Star.

"Death does not have the same meaning for us as it does for mortals. If we die, we cannot return to the Genie Realm, and our ability to affect the world around us with Magic is lost to us. Our spirits become tangible parts of this world, or whichever world we fell in. And make no mistake, it is no easy task to end a genie."

"So, we just have to find the genie's spirit, lost somewhere in the depths of Siren Island?" Embra asked.

"That is correct."

"What about the crystal? Is her death the reason why it's cracked?" asked Embra.

"No. Although it may complicate things with the passage of power, the cracking of the crystal comes not from that. Her spirit may know more, hence why she asks for others to come to her. She may have figured it out."

"Thank you, Lumina," Harmony said with a nod.

"Speaking of the genie's spirit... Harmony, this may not be news you wish to know, but I believe that it is your mother who may be this crystal's creator and thus was the one to have perished."

Harmony was startled. "What do you mean?"

"She was last seen trying to protect Siren Island's inhabitants from the Empress. She never returned to the Genie Realm."

"I... Maybe I knew, deep down, after visiting the island, but I didn't know for sure..."

"But fortune smiles upon you, for you must now find her for the explanation. Perhaps too, you can bring her spirit with you afterwards. You will still have the chance to connect with her."

"Thank you, Lumina..." Harmony said, trying to keep her emotions from overwhelming her.

"Is there anything else?" Lumina asked.

Star looked very deep in thought. "Mom, I asked you many times before where Embra was. Each time, you said you could sense she was still among the living, but not much more than that. Was this intentional, or...?"

Lumina turned to Embra. "That is a good question. Where were you all this time? I could follow you until you were 10, and then you disappeared."

"Could it be the Swap Amulet I was using?"

"No, I could have still followed your lifeforce, even if it had changed through the Swap Amulet. I would have sensed its power too, on top of that."

"Well, I lived in Cliff Town until a few months ago..."

Lumina looked deep in thought. Thought turned to concern.

"Is... Everything alright?"

"This is a matter I must discuss with my sisters. Do not worry about it for now. You have more pressing matters to attend to, finding the Hyper Crystal's creator and its chosen one."

"Alright, thank you for all your help!" said Star.

"You are welcome! It was good to talk to you and Harmony again, and with you, my new daughter," Lumina said with a courteous bow.

The half-genies bowed in turn and turned to leave. As Harmony and Star walked ahead of Embra, she felt a warm hand grab her arm.

"Be careful, Embra," Lumina whispered. "Something is amiss, and I see scars upon you from what happened in Cliff Town, from things you cannot remember. You will endure and overcome, but stay away from that place. Something is not right. We must figure out what that is."

Embra looked shocked, but she silently nodded.

"Go forward, my child. I will see you again soon."

=== Siren Island. ===

As the airship came closer to Siren Island, the half-genies and Mayor Shelly could see metal towers rising up over the horizon. Some looked old, others appeared to be in the middle of construction - or reconstruction. As the airship circled the island to make its landing, they could see the partially constructed towers at the island's center rose from a deep hole in the ground.

"They have been constructing Siren City from the remains of their airship, destroyed in the fight between Shantae and the Empress. The base of the towers connect to the larger complex under the sea," Harmony explained.

Star readjusted her bra. "I am so glad I can finally wear this thing," she said, referring to her genie outfit. "It has been a while since I could wear it..."

Or would... Shelly thought. After Star's encounter with Cliff Town, she didn't even display it at her home for a time. She felt shame for being a half-genie, not even wanting to acknowledge her powers or her heritage. She has since recovered, but... Shelly never got over that herself.

She noticed Embra had been unusually silent the whole trip too. She walked up to her. "Is there something wrong, Embra?" she asked quietly.

"Lumina said there were 'scars upon me' from my time in Cliff Town, things I can't remember. She told me not to worry about it, but..."

"I've been thinking about that place too. But we are here to move forward, not to think about the past. Star is trying to negotiate for Northern Light for the first time since her encounter with them. Harmony and you are trying to reunite a person in this world with the power to make them a half-genie. Even the Sirens themselves are trying to make a better world for themselves and the people they once preyed upon. Let's ignore those bigots today, shall we?"

Embra smiled and nodded.

The team walked out onto the airship dock to be greeted by a quite the welcoming party. Some of them were adorned in clothing made from plants, with a large muscular man taking the lead, beside a girl in his likeness with pointed ears. Others were wearing all sorts of armor, from protective sets that were well balanced, to the somewhat impractical, to "armor" that didn't leave much to the imagination.

The third group, taking the lead, looked like hybrids of humans and aquatic creatures; an angler fish girl holding a cup of water, a seahorse girl using a mechanical suit to walk around, and a lobster girl in front of them. They were flanked by two well-armored crab men who looked like they could - and would - break anyone who messed with the others.

It was upon the lobster girl that Embra noticed Star's eyes were glazing over and lighting up. "Uh, Star?"

Star gasped. "OHMYGOSHSHESSOPRETTY!" she squealed in delight. Before anyone knew what was happening, Star had lunged forward and began squeezing the lobster girl. "YOURESOCUTEANDILOVEITYOURESOSOFTANDSQUSHYANDIWANTYOUFOREVERANDEVER!!!"

The lobster girl squeaked and squealed as she squirmed to break free of the half-genie's grip. It was a language, not one the humans could understand. But the Sirens beside her could understand it quite well: "Why is this crazy lady squeezing me so much? Let me go! I can't understand you, you're talking way too fast!"

"I think she likes you," the seahorse one sheepishly replied.

"Star, get a hold of yourself!" yelled Shelly.

There was a moment where Star seemed to snap out of it. She looked around. Shelly was shaking her head. Embra's jaw was wide open, having never seen something quite like that before. Others were chuckling at the crazy display of affection - even the Siren guards knew she meant no real harm to the lobster girl and were joining in.

Star's face turned a deep red as she let the object of her affection down gently. "I am SO sorry about that..."

Embra leaned towards Shelly. "What the heck was that?" she asked quietly.

"Star has an intense attraction to other girls. Combine that with her tendency to feel and react before she thinks..."

"Oh boy."

"She has apologized a LOT in her life for similar incidents in the past." Shelly turned to the welcome party. "I do apologize for my guardian there; she can get carried away with things she adores..."

"She might even carry them away..." the half-genie in the welcoming party joked.

The Lobster Siren was shaking, but she tried to put on a brave face. Embra got the impression she and this girl were a lot alike. "It okay. Star mean well. Star nice." It seemed to strain the lobster girl to speak human language, but she was learning.

Her compliments painted Star an even deeper red, who looked down and away from embarrassment.

"Ah, hello again, Vera!" Harmony said to the half-genie with a smile.

"You too, Harmony!" she replied. "So, this is Star and Mayor Shelly of Northern Light?"

"Indeed they are!"

"Who's that one?" Vera asked, pointing to Embra.

"That is Embra, the newest half-genie in the world. She is the one you might have heard about with the Shade Magic. Her power was given to her by Star's mother."

Vera walked up to Embra and shook her hand. "It's nice to finally meet you! But... Are you here for the negotiations too?"

"Actually, I came to find... Something... In the depths of the island, with Harmony's help."

The Siren in the mech suit overheard this. "Going under? You will probably need my help. A lot of areas are still sealed off thanks to monsters making their homes in the ruins. I can open the way and guide you." She looked to the lobster girl, who nodded. For being timid, it appeared the Lobster Siren was the leader of the group.

"I should probably lend a hand too, daddy," Vera said to the man leading the people of Tree Town.

"I will allow it. Just be careful down there, will you?"

"So, Lobster Siren, if you could lead us, while our companions search for what they're looking for."

"Must ask; What look for?"

"If you must know..." Embra pulled out the Hyper Crystal. "We believe someone deep inside this island knows more about this. A spirit. That is what we seek."

"Okay!" Lobster Siren said with a smile. "We Good. Please follow," she said to Shelly and Star. As they walked away with the rest of the party, the other two stayed behind.

"A spirit who knows about a glowing crystal... There are a lot of spirits down there. Anything more specific?" asked the Siren.

"It looks like a Genie Crystal, if what I heard is accurate," Vera replied.

"You're close," Harmony responded.

"It's a Hyper Crystal. It differs from a normal Genie Crystal in that it glows more intensely, and it can turn a normal person into a half-genie... Like me."

"Oh, wow, really?! I didn't think there would be more half-genies after us!"

"Hang on, where did you find this? I recall seeing a lot of crystals like this on this island before..."

"What happened to them?" Harmony asked.

"Dunno. There were at least 15 of them, all glowing just like this. They weren't cracked like this, but one by one, they disappeared..."

Embra thought about it. She suspected the crystal cracked because the one it was meant for had something happen to them. But what if someone was going after those who would receive the power? No, that didn't make sense... How could they know?

"I do recall seeing some shifty cloaked figures from time to time, scouring the depths. Every time I saw them, another crystal vanished."

"You think someone would steal these crystals?" Vera asked.

"Even we Sirens aren't immune to the allure of 'shiny things.' I would guess there is a black market out there for glowing crystals."

In the back of her head, Embra knew that wasn't true. Someone knew what these were for. She was beginning to suspect dark things were happening to these crystals - or even the ones they were meant for - and she couldn't shake the feeling of who was responsible... But she didn't know how. Or why.

=== Siren City, "Arena Town" Sector ===

"I don't imagine we need insulated pipes in Tree Town..."

"We would like them in the deeper parts of the facility. It gets *gargle* cold down there." The Angler Siren took a drink from her water cup.

"We can add to that knowledge of geothermal-"

"The deeper parts run on geo, but we could compare notes."

The conversation went on around Star. She spent most of the time looking down, legs crossed, and face red. She was still embarrassed by what happened on the dock. She thought it best to shrink from the conversation and hope she didn't embarrass herself further...

The Lobster Siren - Lobbi, as she now liked to be called - was keeping an eye on everyone, speaking only when she needed to. Ever since she has been working to rein in the Sirens from their more destructive impulses and make a world where they can live side by side with other beings, she had been trying to learn how to speak human language, but her aquatic nature made this difficult. She strained herself to speak simple words. It was natural for her to use the language of the sea...

As such, she was only adding to the conversation when necessary. Besides, the other Siren leaders knew better what the island facility needed. She was just kind of there, the pawn used by the Empress until she couldn't take it anymore - and yet, it was that moment, standing up to her, that made Lobbi the new leader of the Sirens.

She was keeping quiet, looking around when she noticed the half-genie that gave her the near bone-crushing hug from earlier. That scared the daylights out of her, and yet here Star was, not making a peep, almost shrinking away. Well, not really, but if she had that power, she'd be using it.

"Star okay?" Lobbi asked.

Everyone turned to the half-genie. Her bright red face and surprised, shocked look said it all. She let out a little "Eep," having been hoping no one would say anything to her.

Shelly turned to her. "Star, come on now... You don't need to look so embarrassed. This has happened before."

"That's precisely why..." she muttered quietly. "And I did it to their LEADER no less."

"Me talk Star?" Lobbi asked. Everyone was now looking at her. It made her nervous, but she was learning to shrug it off.

"We can send you an es-" one of the Sirens began.

"Scree [no], I fine. Star come?" Lobbi held out her hand to Star.

Star grabbed it, her face changing shades of red as she did. Lobbi started pulling Star away from the conversation, before turning around to let out a few friendly sounding squeaks and screeches. The other Sirens nodded.

"She said we can keep going without her, it should be fine."

Lobbi pulled Star into an unused building nearby. "Star okay?" she asked again.

"I... You CAN understand me, right?"

"Yes. Me no good make words. But know good."

"Well, I am..." Star once again turned redder, sweating a little, "I like girls, women. A lot. And I can get carried away. I think and feel at amazing speeds, a perk of my light powers... Until I get carried away with my feelings..."

"Star like Lobbi lot?"

"Yes," Star squeaked, very quietly.

"Sorry, I not feel same..."

"I should have guessed, I am-"

"But Star pretty," Lobbi said with a smile. "No be sorry. Star find girl like Star one day."

Whether it was that glowing smile, her words, or that surprisingly soft light voice, Star didn't get much out. Well, she did, but...

"Hggurvurburvursurvurgur..."

"Star okay?"

Star shook her head. "Sorry, yes, thank you!" she said with a smile. She was still red-faced embarrassed, but she was a lot calmer now.

Lobbi offered her hand to Star again. "Talks again?"

"Yes, of course."

It had been only a few minutes, but it seemed everyone was awaiting their return.

"Everything good, Lobbi?"

She nodded with a smile.

"Star, are you okay now?" Shelly asked.

"I think I will be now, yes." Her face was still a bit red, but Shelly could tell that whatever Lobbi said to her, it calmed her down.

"Alright, with that out of the way - and perhaps now my guardian can assist me better - let's get back to this!"

=== Deep under the island. ===

The Coral Siren - or, rather, just Coral now - knew the other two half-genies from the incident that brought the Empress's permanent end. Vera had been locked away within the mines Coral was based in, while Harmony was another who had been taken to draw life force from for the Empress.

But this Embra was a new one, and the conversations suggested she was somehow not even born of a Guardian Genie. She was something new. And unlike the other two, she seemed to have an interest in the Siren's facility. Although she had no idea how the girl could see anything without light.

"What are you looking at?" she asked Embra. "How can you even see anything down here without light or special goggles?"

"Oh, it's, uh, my kind of magic," Embra stammered. Shaking the jumpiness, she continued: "I have powers over darkness, and as a result, I see in the dark as if it were perfectly day."

"Interesting, a 'force for good' with what many consider 'evil' powers..."

"Yeah, well, it just depends on how you use them."

"Sounds exactly what Lobbi says about our powers. I take it this is your first time around advanced technology?"

"Not really. I used to live in a place called Cliff Town, and their tech is maybe a little behind what I'm seeing here, but not that different."

"Haven't heard of them. Why did you leave?"

"I didn't leave as much as I was kicked out. They found out I was transgender." Noting the confused look, "Err, I was a boy that wanted to be a girl..."

"You look like a girl to me," Coral said, looking Embra up and down.

"Well, the whole 'girl with blue hair and pink eyes' thing is relatively new, a result of me being turned into a half-genie."

"Lucky break, it sounds like."

"More like a long-term plan by a Guardian Genie, but if she didn't think I deserved it, I probably wouldn't be here." Embra looked around. "It's fascinating how little rust I see despite the age and the saltwater outside. How long did it take you to find the right mix of metals for that?"

"Oh-ho! I didn't realize you had quite the brain up there!" Coral gushed. She didn't see this kind of intellect often.

"I don't know. Between Cliff Town, my powers, and just trying to fend for myself, maybe I just wound up being smart?"

"You don't know how many workers I go through trying to find someone who even remotely understands undersea metallurgy. If you needed a job... I think you would do very well."

"Thanks. If the half-genie business dries up anytime soon, maybe I'll consider it..."

The group made it to a recently repaired and cleared section of the deepest part of the underground. "Alright, you three, I don't think I need to take you any further. If I understand what you're looking for, she should be somewhere in this area."

"Why don't you join us?" Embra asked.

"There's not much work for me to do beyond this point. We had to make it accessible because of the power core in this area. That also means you shouldn't have any monster problems here either."

"Thanks, Coral!" Vera said.

"I will be near here when you're done. Until then, there's a few dozen leaks with my name on them..."

As Coral backtracked into the damaged zone, the half-genies came together. "So, where do you think your mother will be?" Embra asked.

"I don't know. I feel that Shantae might have met her down here, but beyond that..."

"Maybe she will be near a place with great importance?" Vera asked. "Access to the Squid Pit - the power core and security sectors down here - is just up ahead."

"She may have been guarding that place when the Sirens were still causing trouble. Doesn't sound like a bad place to look," Embra responded.

The trio made their way to a working elevator, one that looked freshly repaired. It had a few lit-up buttons, including the very bottom. Others had sticky notes on them suggesting they were out of order.

"Seems like a good bet to get us down," Vera said.

She pressed the button, and the elevator whirred to life and began a slow descent. As it dropped, they could see Siren and human workers working side-by-side to repair the place.

"To think, not that long ago, the Sirens would have been taking these people prisoner. Now, they're working together," Harmony remarked.

"All it probably took was for someone to see the truth. The Empress thought herself above all others. Everyone is different, and everyone is needed."

"I wish Cliff Town knew that..."

Harmony and Vera turned to Embra. "I know you went through hardship there, but maybe one day they can see the light too," Harmony suggested. "They can't have thrown away any feelings they might have had for you that easily."

"I suppose..."

The elevator came to a stop at the bottom. Before them was an odd sight; a lowly ghost dog. It gave them a sniff before speaking.

"Interesting. Three more half-genies. But what's this? One of you smells different?" she said.

"That might be me..." Embra suggested.

The ghost dog moved up to her and sniffed her more. "I smell odd things about you indeed. Do you know your mother? Why do you have Shade Magic?"

"Wait... How would a ghost dog know about kinds of magic?" Embra asked, suspicious.

"I did not expect one so perceptive. In truth..." The dog shifted into the form of a ghostly Guardian Genie. "I am a Guardian Genie myself... Or, what's left of her, after I gave my life to ensure the Empress could not feed on mortals."

"So that's what happened to you... Mother," Harmony said.

"Harmony? My little girl? You are so big now."

Harmony stood there, silent, trying to maintain her composure. She wasn't doing very well at it.

Embra took the reins. "I found this near where I lived." She pulled out the cracked Hyper Crystal. "We got my genie mother, Lumina, to interpret the message to come find you here."

"Are you Lumina's real daughter? Or are you her adopted child?"

"The adopted one. My sister is currently topside, negotiating with the Sirens."

"What an interesting turn of events... You consider her to be a sister?"

"And she considers my parents as hers too. It's a bit of an oddball family."

"And Lumina gave you her opposite in powers. It does not surprise me, as she was always a bit of a rebel, getting herself into trouble. But she always made good points. I took from her page and made a Hyper Crystal for a handful of deserving mortals."

"A handful?"

"About 30 of them, actually."

"That many?! How have we not seen more new half-genies by now?!" Vera asked, shocked.

Embra was now very concerned. This many potential half-genies have not come to pass. Why? "As far as I am aware of, I am the only half-genie that was formerly human... Why is that?"

"I do not know. You should have become a half-genie a lot sooner, and there should be many more out there."

"We can at least rectify that... But why did we need to come down here to find you? What problem is there with the crystal?"

"For one, I cannot leave this place without help. There is also the problem that I am now a Ghost Genie, having lost all of my power. I cannot give the chosen mortal their new powers. Another genie - or half-genie - must do so in my stead."

"How would that work?"

"Another Guardian Genie could bestow whatever powers she deems a good fit for the person in question. If a half-genie does so, the crystal will instead copy the power of the last half-genie to hold it. So, if Harmony were to give the chosen one their crystal, they would receive Quake Magic."

"Good to know! Now, the other question..."

"Why is it cracked? That would be that the one who is to receive the power nearly passed on... But is still alive. Or undead."

"A zombie, in other words..."

"It would have strange effects on a zombie, but others had planned for such a change when they chose others for the job. I do not know the full details, but they will become undead half-genies."

"What a strange world we live in..." Embra quietly remarked.

"Thank you for all your help!" Vera said.

"If you two don't mind, I think I want to stay for a while..." Harmony finally said.

Embra reached up and put her and on Harmony's shoulder. "I get it. Go to her."

Harmony nodded and began talking more with her mother. Embra and Vera got onto the elevator and set it to go back up. Vera immediately noted Embra's concern.

"What is it?"

"All of the disappeared Hyper Crystals. Coral mentioned someone was stealing them from here. The fact I was supposed to be a half-genie a lot sooner? What the heck is going on? Someone seems to know what these do and are trying to stop them."

"I don't know. Why would anyone do that?"

"I know people who despise half-genies, but... They can't possibly know how this all works, can they?"

The elevator stopped at the top. The two half-genies heard the sound of swords unsheathing. "We cannot allow you to deliver that crystal..."

=== Surface, outside of Siren City ===

Everyone was shaking hands. The deal was a considerable success for both sides. Within a week, Siren ships would begin making their way to Northern Light to make trades. Apparently, word of mouth alerted the Sirens to Northern Light's hottest product... Soda. And the technical knowledge Northern Light had was potentially a game-changer to repairing the Sirens' facility.

However, it had been a while, and Star was having concerns about the others.

"Shelly, with your permission, can I go looking for Embra and the rest? It seems to-"

She was interrupted by Coral appearing and showing something to Lobbi. Lobbi turned to them and asked, "Others?"

"What do you mean? It was me, Mayor Shelly, Embra, and Harmony..."

"Not according to the security sensors that were tripped. Two more."

"I don't like where this is going. Shelly, I need to get down there. I have a bad feeling about this..."

=======

"Who the heck are you two?"

"Wait... Anthony? Mark?"

"You KNOW them?"

"They're from Cliff Town..."

"And we know who you are, Martin Huntsman," they said in a creepy unison.

The color drained from Embra's face completely. Almost no one knew that name. Even her parents dropped it when she expressed her dislike for the boy's name.

That name died 15 years ago.

"How did you know that name?!"

"You were given that name when you were born," they continued in near perfect sync. "It is the name you must die with. You cannot be other than what you were born as. Suffering is truth."

"Okay, these guys are giving me the creeps. And I think they're here to kill us."

Embra nodded. She had looked into their eyes and saw nothing. There was nothing to suggest they were human anymore. They seemed to have become husks.

Vera willed her magic forward. She was going to command the plants and life around her to fight back. Embra reached into her shadow to pull out her trusty staff... Which came out bent in half, the two pieces hanging together barely by twisted metal and a few splinters.

Right... That happened, Embra thought as she tossed it aside. She instead manifested a full shadow staff to fight with.

"No more abominations. Only perfection!" they yelled as they charged forth.

Vera very quickly willed the moss on the floor to expand and grow, causing her attacker to trip and fall forward. She willed the moss to cover up the sword and engulf it.

Embra thrust the staff in the way of her attacker. She pushed back with one hand, using its length to overwhelm her attacker's grip, flicking it out of his hand. She used her shadow gates to send the dislodged sword into a faraway land.

But Vera's attacker immediately got up, seemingly unfazed. Without a weapon, he began to slash at Vera with his hands, as if they were claws. She pulled a vine down and ensnared one hand with the vine, then caught the other.

Even bound, he aimed to ram her. She jumped back and gracefully twirled the vine around him to bind him even more. And yet, despite no way to move his arms and increasingly his legs, he continued a near savage attempt to harm her, trying so much as to bite and gnash at her. He continued to hiss like an angry animal when she had fully bound him, the vine strengthened by her Refresh Magic.

Embra found herself similarly fighting off someone who was acting like an animal. She bashed him several times with her staff, but he didn't even flinch. In a moment, he knocked her staff out of the way and grabbed for her throat. She could feel him trying to choke the life out of her.

"Anthony..." she gasped.

She heard a clank of wood and metal, as well as said materials breaking and splintering. She gasped for air as her attacker's grip released. She looked around to see Star holding what was left of her broken staff. Her attacker was lying on the ground, still breathing. He survived the blow, but it knocked him out cold.

"Star..." Embra said, her eyes watering.

Star raced over to hug her. "I got you, sis..."

They heard a series of metal footsteps approach. "Dang, Star, you move fast..." Coral said, out of breath. She looked around. "Clearly, these two weren't friends. We really have to up our security. Just who were they?"

"They're from Cliff Town..." Embra responded.

=== Back on the surface. ===

"It was like there was nothing inside them. They were shells, fighting like animals when disarmed..." Embra finished.

Everyone was horrified. Cliff Town had a reputation to be sure, but trespassing to assassinate half-genies? Not to mention the other details. Coral recognized the outfits from years prior. Similarly clothed people had taken the island's Hyper Crystals.

Embra was still shaking. Lobbi suspected there was more. "Not all?" she asked.

"Star, you knew me from when we lived in Northern Light. Do you remember my old name?"

"Uh... No?"

"They knew it. I never called myself by that name in 15 years, but they knew it, somehow..."

A chill went down the spine of nearly everyone. Cliff Town was getting access to some very sensitive - and long lost - information. Mind readers? Advanced technology? No one knew...

Star crouched down and gave her sister another hug. "I don't know what's going on, but I will keep you safe from those lunatics, okay?"

Embra smiled but was still shaking.

"Maybe it would help to focus on the task at hand?" Harmony, who had rejoined everyone, asked. "We know the Hyper Crystal likely belongs to a zombie now. Maybe we can use it to lead us to them?"

Star looked at Embra again. "I think you should go, deliver this crystal yourself. If those guys want to get rid of half-genies, then go out and make another!" she said with defiance.

"Th-thanks. I will."

"As for us, we appreciate the honesty with everything," Coral said. "It seems like there are a few fires for you to put out. We will ensure that the next time you come here, there won't be a single assassin waiting for you."

"What's going to happen to them?" Harmony asked.

"We have been *gargle looking into what is going on with them," said Angler Siren, "and it is just as Embra has described; they seem to be husks. We detected life force and sentience, but there is little else. They are indeed missing something. We will study them to learn more, if we can."

Better than eating them, Embra thought, even if it feels like they aren't anything but empty puppets now.

"Embra, you and I will find the Hyper Crystal's owner. We will take the airship back to the mainland. You can probably get Shelly and Star back to Northern Light with shadow gates."

Embra nodded. With the plan understood, they went to work getting everyone where they need to go. Before the group parted, Star wanted to say one more thing to Embra...

"Embra, when you deliver the crystal, please come straight home..."

Embra nodded, and she directed Star and Shelly to a nearby spot of shade where she set up the shadow gates. When they were through, she and Harmony boarded the airship back to Sequin Land.

Lobbi turned to Coral as they walked back into the city. "Cliff Town is an enemy," Lobbi said to Coral in her native language. "We need to make sure they cannot access our island again. Who knows what else they stole from us... Or just what they're using it for."

Coral nodded, put her new visor on, and proceeded to get to work.

=== A few days later, the Zombie Caravan. ===

Anna Boggs just served another patron to her shop. She didn't remember everything from her past life, but knitting was stuck in there harder than a popcorn kernel in her teeth. Pretty much the whole caravan knew she was the one to go to for comfy blankets, pillows and the like. She wished she could see her grandpa more, but in undeath as in life, the man could not hold still.

She at least got to see him during the trip to Northern Light for a change. She couldn't stop thinking about that trip. The half-genie with zombie parents, finding them, reuniting with them. It was a dream come true for many of them, a happy ending they often wished for...

She heard the ding of the bell, new patrons to her wagon shop. "Hello there! I am Ann...a?" Speaking of the half-genie, she had just walked into the shop, along with another taller one who had a spectral looking lizard on her shoulder.

"Hey, I remember you from Northern Light!" Embra exclaimed. "Anna, right?"

"OH MY GOSH, Embra?! What brings you here?"

"Actually..."

Harmony stepped forward. "It seems you and Embra had something in common; we discovered there are other crystals like the one that made Embra the half-genie she is today. And one is for you!"

Embra pulled out the crystal. Anna looked at it in disbelief. "I can hear it calling to me... Is this real?"

"Apparently? But there is a catch... The genie who made this for you died, so the 'transfer of power' doesn't work like it's supposed to..."

"What do you mean?"

"She was supposed to direct the development of your magic," Harmony explained. "Without her or another Guardian Genie to do so, that leaves one other option: you must choose a half-genie to give this to you. Whichever of us gives you this crystal, whoever is last to touch this, your power will mirror hers."

"So... I must choose a power from another half-genie? Any of them?"

"It might take us some time to find the right one, but whatever you desire to have..."

Anna immediately turned to Embra. "I think I already know..."

"Me?" Embra asked.

"Your story means so much to us zombies. I would be honored to have the same powers as the daughter of the Huntsmans!"

Harmony looked to Embra and smiled. "You have made a much greater impact than I imagined."

Embra stepped forward with the crystal in hand. She held it out to Anna, who touched it. Almost immediately, it disintegrated, and the Light Magic flowed into her. The half-genies watched as the zombie woman's ears grew to take the distinctive pointed shape as theirs. Other than that, nothing else seem to have changed...

"Whoa, that was intense... And I am kinda hungry..." They heard a growl come from her stomach. "Really hungry..." She sniffed the air. "Do I smell... Candy?"

The other two half-genies looked at each other. "Umm, I bought some chocolate in Scuttle Town..." Embra responded.

"Gimme..."

"Uhh..." Embra said, hesitatingly handing out the chocolate bar.

"GIMME!!!" Anna yelled as she swiped the bar from Embra, then proceeded to sloppily chow down on it. She looked dazed after she finished it. "Wha... That felt like a zombie craving, but it was for sweets?"

"Huh, it seems that becoming a zombie half-genie changed your nature somewhat," Harmony remarked. "Perhaps now you crave candy instead of brains?"

Anna wiped the chocolate mess from her lips. "If that's the case, I don't have to worry about hurting anyone again, do I? This is amazing!"

"If you like, Anna, I can stay to teach you how to use some of your new powers. After all, I know Shade Magic!"

"I would like that very much, yes! Can we let everyone know what's happening with me too?"

"Of course!"

Harmony understood she was no longer needed. But she stayed around to watch Embra begin teaching Anna how to use Shade Magic in front of the Zombie Caravan. They were dazzled by one of their own now having the powers of a half-genie, their own guardian. Harmony watched on, proud of Embra. So was her mother, who had taken on a smaller form to travel with her daughter.

After a long day, Harmony began her trek home. Embra herself slid into a shadow gate after many thank yous and goodbyes from the grateful zombies. Anna gave Embra a hug before she left for home.

...

But Embra couldn't shake the feeling of encroaching darkness. A fell wind from her past was stirring. Cliff Town was on her mind as she slipped into her bed.

She did not sleep that night.

THE END...?

By CrystalSeaDragon44

4