Embra’s Missing Memories – Part 2
24 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*This story is based upon the Shantae series, which does not belong to me (per the usual, it belongs to its rightful owners, WayForward and creators Matt and Erin Bozon). This story features LGBTQ characters, which does make some uncomfortable. Scenes in this particular story might be emotionally strong - it's not entirely recommended to read at a place of work...

Critically, this story has some dark themes to it. Although I intend it for all teenage audiences, it does include [Spoilers] non-graphic killings of characters in self-defense in a fight scene.

Embra's Missing Memories - Part 2
Northern Light

"Contingency plan?!" Embra exclaimed.

"I must go, let the people know..." Shelly said as she raced for the door.

"Know what?!"

"Avor, Emilia, we aren't fully aware how violent this could get. Make sure to secure everything, particularly what's frail or could tip over easily," Star ordered. They nodded and began to collect various ceramic and glass objects from cabinets.

"I have a role to play in all of this as well," Lumina added, "and in order to fulfill that role, I must leave for some time. I will see you again once my task is finished." Lumina disappeared with a flash of light.

"CAN EVERYONE JUST STOP FOR A MOMENT?" Embra yelled. "What the heck is going on?"

"Sorry, Embra, I forgot there are things we didn't tell you about this city..." Star said.

"What things? What is going on?!"

"A few years after I defeated the super monster, Shelly got a premonition. Northern Light would be invaded, and everyone in it would die. We would have let everything be bygones, if it hadn't been for the fact it came back every year on the same day..."

"Meaning it's real, isn't it?"

Star nodded. "It was enough that when I told Lumina about it, she got the Guardian Genies to give us advanced magic technology to protect us."

"What convinced them to give into this? It doesn't sound like they give that kind of stuff out willingly..."

"As the years went on, they became more precise. More details came together over the years. Some possibilities faded; others grew. After a time, a terrestrial invasion by those with superior magic technology were the culprits."

"Cliff Town."

"As we now know."

"When is the next time the premonition is supposed to appear?"

"Tomorrow."

Embra immediately knew what that meant. "Then it's not the premonition that will happen; it's the actual event!"

"Exactly. We have to get everything in order, now!"

"What did the genies give you to help? Some sort of defensive technology?"

"An escape plan."

"What?"

"You will see for yourself soon enough. Come with me!"

Star pulled Embra to the door and raced her outside. Embra began feeling lightheaded again.

"Star... I think I am having an episode again..."

Star felt her sister become sluggish. "What's going on?"

"I had this happen inside Cliff Town. I got hit by a really strong memory. I had to stop and hide myself there..."

"We can't waste a lot of time. I will carry you if I have to..."

"Thank..."

=== Just outside Northern Light, 13 years ago. ===

The child looked out over the small village. It was lit up by a few torches and the light coming from within the cabins. She couldn't stay. She didn't know what was worse; losing her parents to that monster, the thought of being forced to be a boy by the villagers, or being fed to the monster herself.

She wasn't going to wait to find out.

She was determined, you had to give her that. But she was only six. This arctic land often devoured the weak and vulnerable. But she was going to find a new home. Somehow.

She turned to walk away, but she heard a soft voice from behind her...

"Where are you going, my child?"

She turned back around to see the Guardian Genie from her earliest memories; they called her Lumina. She was the mother to the girl with the pointy ears she couldn't remember the name of.

"Mommy and daddy are gone," cried the child, "and the people won't let me be a girl..."

Then she had a thought. "Wait! You grant wishes, right?! Make me a real girl!"

The genie looked sad. But she also smiled. "But you are a girl already, for you believe with all of your heart that you are one."

"That's not what the Mayor said. He doesn't see me as a girl." She began stomping her foot into the snow. "I want to be a real girl! I want to be a real girl!" she demanded.

Lumina reached down and hugged the child. "Ssshhh. I know it is what you want, more than anything in the world. But now is not the time."

"When?" she asked, crying.

"I will let you in on a secret; I have seen into your heart. You will make not only an amazing real girl one day, but a half-genie like my own flesh and blood daughter. I made it so that such a power will be yours one day, and it is then that you will have the body you always wanted."

"So... I have to wait?"

"I am sorry... For now, yes." Lumina tried to console the girl, who was still crying horribly. Before long, she fell asleep in Lumina's arms, too exhausted by the stress and hiking through the snow.

Lumina looked at her. Then the village. Then up, at the sky, seeing the Genie Realm from which she came through the dimensional void. They would have her leave the child and return. But if she did that now, the girl would die, or at best, be returned to a place where who she really was wasn't welcome.

She knew what she had to do. Lumina picked up the child and held her close. She let her magic keep her warm. She took one last look at the village where her other daughter was currently sleeping. She considered it... But she couldn't do it. They still needed a guardian, and Star would be more than enough. Maybe another day...

Lumina turned around and headed for the south, fully defying the rest of her kind. She was going to raise the girl herself...

=== Present day. ===

"...ming back to us?" Star finished asking.

Embra shook her head. "Yeah. I'm sorry..."

"Don't be. We're here, aren't we?"

Embra looked up. "The clocktower?"

"We need to get into the deepest basement and wait for Lumina."

"Deepest-? Know what, never mind, I'm sure I will see soon enough."

"I was kind of amazed you were still walking while going through that. I had to keep you upright, but you were still moving, despite your eyes being glazed over!"

"I wasn't even aware we were moving..."

As Star opened the door, they heard a crackling coming from all around them. Embra realized the noise was coming from the lamps.

"It looks like Shelly is activating the emergency alarm system," Star explained. "There have been a couple of times where we needed to issue emergencies. We realized the lamps could be fitted with speakers to get messages out to the whole city at once."

"Attention, citizens and visitors of Northern Light..."

=== Mayor Shelly's office. ===

"... It pains me to inform all of you that the worst is coming to pass. Everyone in this city is in immediate danger. Our citizens are asked to secure their belongings as we prepare our escape plan. To our visitors, it may be some time before we can return. If we can return. We leave the choice to you as to whether you depart or stay with us... But if you stay with us, we cannot guarantee your return. We will, however, treat you as if you were one of our own. The choice is yours... But you must choose quickly."

She looked up at the others in her room, Sirens who had been helping with the trade agreement, led by one known as Aurora, a very human-like Siren with blue freckles, green hair, and turquoise fins on her arms and legs. Aurora nodded, knowing what needed to be done in the dire situation.

"Our Siren friends have agreed to take any who wish to leave from this place. Any who wish to go, I highly recommend going to the front gates and seeking transport on their vessels. Otherwise, our enemy is ruthless and will not hesitate to kill anyone associated with this city... Or worse. If you do not leave with the Sirens, avoid the roads as much as possible. We're sorry, and we hope that everyone remains safe."

Shelly turned off the intercom and looked down. "I'm sorry. Barely a week into trading with your people, and I have to pull from our deal like this..."

"No, I understand," assured Aurora. "The threat you face is grave. Us Sirens will do our part, including spreading the word about Cliff Town. Should you be able to return, I would assume our trades would resume as if nothing happened."

"Thank you. And good luck."

"Keep the luck; you need all of it you can get now..."

=== Embra's Timekeeper. ===

Star searched around the floor. She was looking for something, but it had been years, and she had forgotten exactly where the hidden panel was...

"Need help?" asked Embra.

"No, I just need to have my magic flowing. Eventually, I will activate the panel I'm looking for."

"Why is it so hidden? It seems like it was an open secret at this point that Northern Light had some sort of plan..."

"You don't know how many people tour this thing every year. There is some sensitive equipment down there. We couldn't have just anyone finding it..."

It was here that a rectangle on the floor began to glow. "Found you!" Star pressed her hands on the panel, and it reacted to the magic in her body. It slid out of the way, revealing a ladder to a hidden basement.

Star turned to Embra. "Think you will be okay with those memory dumps affecting you like they are?"

"They don't seem to be coming very often. I think I can make it."

"Alright, it's a bit of a way down..."

The two began climbing the ladder. Their particular ladder was surrounded by fencing, but all around them were the underground workings of Northern Light. Pipes and lines crisscrossed each other in an orderly fashion, some having warning labels on them indicating heat or electrical dangers.

"I didn't realize there was this much down here!" Embra remarked.

"We figured out how to harness the heat from under the ground to create power and keep the water from freezing. Before long, though, a lot of this is going to be useless."

"Useless?"

"I will explain more when we get down there. Anyway, I have to ask: what was that memory you just had?"

"It was when I was leaving the village all those years ago. Lumina came to my aid. I think she started taking care of me..."

"It makes sense. You were a determined little girl, but I doubt that would have been enough to get you out of the cold alive... Besides, Lumina made the memory block, so it had to be to protect the genies. Likely from the time she spent raising you."

"Why would they have to do that?"

"They're afraid of something, I think. Lumina seems to suggest as much sometimes..."

They finished their descent. There was a short tunnel to a strange, altar-like chamber before them. They had long passed the inner workings of the city. It was a very deep cave below the city.

"Star... I think she wanted to come back for you, but she couldn't take Northern Light's guardian away from them."

"That was probably for the best... If I wasn't there, things probably wouldn't have gone the way they did that next morning..."

=== 13 years ago. ===

"The Huntsman's kid is gone!"

The villagers, Star [13] and Shelly [16] among them, gathered in the village's center. The Mayor was there to oversee it.

"We have to find her!" shouted Star.

"You mean him," the Mayor said with some venom.

"But..."

"It was one thing when Avor and Emilia gave into the child's delusions, but Martin was born a boy."

"But she-"

"HE."

"I don't care! SHE was always so happy when she was treated like a girl! She glowed and smiled all the time when people treated her that way!"

"What do you know?!" said the cantankerous Mayor. "You are just the mongrel offspring of a magic being and a normal man who wasn't even cut out for life here."

Star was taken aback. "I... Umm..." she muttered, slowly shrinking away. She suddenly felt aware of what made her different. She didn't know what to do...

"Mayor, that was uncalled for!" yelled the redheaded, bespeckled Shelly. "Star has been trying her hardest to protect this village since the genies left us!"

"And a witch's daughter comes to her aid. How unsurprising."

"That's enough! How about instead of insulting everybody, why don't you actually DO something about things?"

"Why do you think I sent the Huntsmans after Cold Death? That solved a problem."

Stunned silence.

"But the Huntsmans were good people..." Star said, trying to defend the deceased.

"And what do you know? You're a child."

"That child has more sense and more heart than you, Mayor," growled Shelly.

"Both of you children, stop talking! You don't know how the world works. Why should any of us listen to you?"

The villagers looked away. That is, before one stepped forward.

"Star was there when I lost my dog to the wilderness. She actually went out there and brought him back to me. I didn't give her the time of day before, and yet she went out into the monster-infested wilds to save him for me. I won't forget it."

"Shelly didn't get her mom's talents, but she works hard every day to make life better in the village, taking on our chores or making new games to keep the other kids occupied," another chimed in.

Yet another stepped forward. "Shelly has been good at planning all sorts of events for the village, even when you can't be bothered. And Star, in spite of missing her mother, continues to fight for her cause of keeping us safe."

"All of you! You would stand by these CHILDREN?"

One villager put his hand on Star's shoulder. "I would."

Another stood beside Shelly. "I would too," she said, looking at the teen, who despite her defiance to the Mayor had clearly been crying too.

Yet another chimed in, "It seems these children you have so dismissed understand things a lot better than you. You sit there and lord over everyone with the power we give you, and yet you're not doing anything but blaming everyone else for our problems. These two go out of their way to make life better for us, taking on the burden of all of our problems without hesitation.

"The only one we shouldn't be listening to is you."

"Wha-WHAT?!"

The villagers stood side by side with the two teenage girls, who had both been crying silently under the assault and support alike.

"Fine. I doubt Northern Light will last under the care of these two. I will not be here for it!" the Mayor said as he stomped off into the wilderness.

"So... Mayor Shelly, what do we do now?" one of them asked.

"Wait, me?!"

"I think we all know you are the best planner out of all of us. So, what will you have us do?"

Shelly looked to Star. She looked back to the villagers. "We find the Hunstmans' daughter, if we can..."

=== Present Day. ===

"... But we never found your body, or any sign you left a body behind. We all had a feeling you had somehow survived. I just never figured out how..." Star finished.

"Well, to be fair, I didn't know until just now either..." Embra admitted. "But... I really appreciate that you stood up for me all those years ago, even if I wasn't around for it."

"That's the most important time to stand up for someone, but you're welcome!"

They entered the chamber. A metal pedestal was in its center, surrounded by 12 metal bars spreading out from the center. There were wires and tubes coming from the base, snaking over the floor, up the walls, and into holes into the ceiling, presumably connecting to the city's infrastructure above them.

"What is this place?"

"The plan. That pedestal in the middle is for a massive Genie Crystal, one that could provide the city with the power we need when we evacuate it."

"Wait... Are we taking the ENTIRE CITY with us?!"

"That's what the bars are for. They link to the towers of the walls, which when powered by Light Magic creates a barrier that shields the city and holds it together. After that..." Star moved over to a panel on the wall and opened it. "We hit the switch, and a warp gate - big enough to take this city and everyone in it to the Genie Realm - will open up and suck us in. Everyone will be safe there..."

"But trapped."

"We would be keeping an eye on things, but yes, most of us wouldn't be able to leave without the help of the genies... Except now possibly you."

"My shadow gate powers..."

"Exactly. Given the threat of Cliff Town, we wouldn't return unless they were dealt with... Or, if the worst comes to pass, and the world dies before we can come back, the genies would find a new world for us to live in..."

"It sounds like you have almost everything figured out..."

"We had years to plan this. It is the only thing that seems to upend Shelly's premonitions. It's the only thing we found to keep everyone safe."

"Then, I imagine Lumina is making the Genie Crystal?"

"Yes. We just meet her here and help her mount the crystal. Until then..."

Embra started feeling lightheaded again. She sat down. "Star... Another one's coming..."

"I got you..." Star said as she moved to keep her sister company.

=== 11 years ago. ===

Lumina picked out the bananas that Embra liked. She liked them when they were just starting to develop those spots. She liked the sweetness. "How much?" she asked.

"Eh, have them. They're about to spoil anyway."

"Why thank you, kind sir, but I must insist. My daughter loves these. Here's a few gems for you," she said as she dropped them in the man's basket.

"Oh, my, thank you! Have a nice day, kind lady!"

"And you as well, sir!"

Lumina had spent the past year and a half raising the Huntsman girl, who had finally settled on the name of "Embra" on her own. Meanwhile, Lumina had been posing as a human, not wanting to tip off anyone that there was a Guardian Genie still around. Even still, she made sure that other's problems just "miraculously" disappear, sneakily granting wishes and blessings to others.

If it hadn't been for what she could do for others with Light Magic, she might have considered giving up her powers entirely to live as a mortal. There was something about this life that appealed to her, although she couldn't quite explain it...

It was a bit of a trip to the house she and Embra lived in, but on the edge of the town, the local half-genie likely wouldn't detect her. She could live peacefully with Embra, who was a shining light in her life. Eventually, Embra would find that Hyper Crystal and become a half-genie. She really hoped she would be there, in person, for that moment. She wanted to be there to see Embra glow over her new body.

She opened the door to the humble abode they called home. "Embra, I'm back!"

The 7-and-a-half-year-old dashed into the room. "Mommy, you're back!"

"Indeed I am!" She handed Embra the bananas. "Here you go!"

"Thanks mommy!" she cheered as she began peeling the bananas and scarfing them down.

It brought a smile to Lumina's face to see this little girl glow like that. She missed her parents so much, and the dysphoria made some days hard. Sometimes, Lumina would just spend the day cradling her, keeping her calm over the trauma...

She could "see" Star over in Northern Light too. She sensed a sea change had occurred to the quaint village she once protected. The people were often cold and stubborn, but she felt that since Embra had left, something miraculous had happened... Maybe Embra might return and be welcomed one day for who she was?

She was planning for the future like a mortal. Not centuries down the line, but months or a few years. It was strange, letting things go, figuring out life on the fly. No cosmic order, no master plan. Just a little slice of everyday randomness. Honestly, this was probably less stressful than awaiting events decades in the future to plan for and ensure everything would go perfectly.

Unfortunately, she was who she was. She was not going to escape it forever.

There was a knock on the door. Lumina could already feel the significant Light Magic that stood behind it. They had come for her after all.

She sighed and opened the door. Three Guardian Genies walked in, in full genie attire.

"What are you wearing, Lumina?" asked one.

"A dress. You should try one sometime," she shot back with some snark.

"Lumina, please. You had to have known that we would call you back one day. You have a duty to this world. If you care about that child as much as you say..."

"You really don't get it, do you? Who else was going to protect her?"

"The people of her village. She would have turned back..."

"You didn't see the determination in her eyes. She was going to go as far as she could. Besides, that Mayor would have hurt her to make her a boy against her very soul..."

"Lumina, stop this foolishness and come back to us. The forces of darkness gather ever stronger. We need every last Guardian Genie to protect this world."

"Mommy, is something wrong?" Embra walked up and hugged Lumina's leg. "I will make it better for you, like you make it better for me!"

"Aww, thank you, Embra..." Lumina said as she rubbed the girl's head.

"Lumina, it is time to go home. Or else..."

"Or else?" An ultimatum from her sisters was new.

"We will strip you of your powers by force and give them to one who will listen for a change."

"No! Don't take mommy's magic away! She does nice things for people with it!"

"Child, if she stays, she could become a victim to the Magic Lamp, or she could become corrupted in some other way. We can't leave her power here for evil to take..."

Lumina was in an impossible position. She wasn't ready to give up her magic, nor did she want to leave Embra...

"What is it going to be, Lumina?"

Lumina clenched her fists and gritted her teeth. But... She was bound to her duty. She had no choice. She sighed as she looked up at the three. They knew her answer.

"Good. We will see you back in the Genie Realm where you belong, after we wipe her memories of you..."

Embra knew what that meant and clenched Lumina's leg tightly. "NO! Please don't let me forget you!" she cried.

"No, please, anything but that! We can't take these happy memories away from her! It's too cruel."

"Someone could use her to get to you if they figure out she knew you. It has to be done..."

Lumina looked at Embra, who was looking up at her, crying. "Then... Let me do it..."

"Mommy...?"

Lumina lifted Embra up and hugged her tightly. "You don't know how much you mean to me... I hate what I am about to do, but evil could use you to get to me. Then many people would be in danger. I want what's best for you... I hope you will remember at least that..." Lumina was crying as she held Embra tight.

"I love you, mommy Lumina..."

"I love you too, Embra. My dear daughter."

Lumina began to sing a sweet lullaby that lured Embra to sleep. She placed Embra in her bed, then began to construct the spell that would seal her memories away. Embra was sleeping so deeply now, she couldn't hear Lumina's words...

"Embra, I am ensuring you don't lose our time together," she whispered. "You may not remember it for many years, but I will ensure that one day, you will know what I did for you. You will know that someone had your back. You will know that you were... Are... Loved. One day, when you are safe, when you are happy and loved by others, that is when you will remember..."

She wiped away her tears. "Just remember, you are so strong, and you are so smart, you can make it through anything. One day, we will meet again. And when you remember our time together, I will be as happy as you will be."

She backed off, the deed done. She looked at the sleeping child one more time before she quietly closed the door, leaving Embra once more on her own.

She turned to face the other genies. "It's done."

"Do not forget to return to proper pronunciations, Lumina. Let us return to the Genie Realm at once."

=== The Genie Realm, Present Day ===

Lumina hadn't even realized she was crying. The crystal was nearly fully formed, but she had just remembered her time with Embra too. No doubt, she was being influenced by Embra's memories coming to the fore herself.

Another genie floated up to her. "Is something wrong, sister?"

She sighed. "Is it that obvious?"

"You have always struggled to contain your emotions. Is it because of Embra?"

"I am remembering, as she is, our time together..."

"Wait... You did not erase her memories as you were told to?"

"I blocked them. The block is coming undone because she has had the love of her family. As I designed it."

"Sister, you are bold. Defying the leadership in every way you can without doing so directly..."

"Next time, I am NOT going to go through with it. I have seen too many mistakes from our supposedly 'perfect' immortal people."

"Lumina..."

"Next time, I will accept the loss of my powers over making a vulnerable kid suffer like that again. Do you hear me?"

The other genie floated there silently for a moment. "I do. I will let you be." She floated away, leaving Lumina to her thoughts.

Never again. I am not abandoning that world or its people. Even if I have to stand alone.

=== Below Northern Light. ===

Even Star had some tears over the memory Embra just relayed to her. "Now I know why she disagrees with her fellow genies so much... That sounds like it was as painful for her as it was for you..."

"I can't blame her for letting me go over her powers. Who's to say her replacement would have cared for the world as much as she did?"

"No doubt, I would think all sorts of events that have happened since, from the Pirate Master's return to the temporary corruption of the Genie Realm, made her even more bitter over it. And now we have whatever is going on in Cliff Town. I imagine she's furious..."

"Do you think she would give up her status as a full genie if that decision came to that again?" Embra asked.

"I can answer that. Yes, I would next time."

The two spun around to see Lumina effortlessly holding a Genie Crystal easily her size. She had finished making the crystal. The time had come...

"Embra, think you can help her mount it? I can let Shelly know by the intercom at the panel here we're almost ready to go..."

Star cautiously backed off. She was certain that these two needed some time alone to discuss things...

Lumina had a down look on her face. "You know now what I did, and why. Do you... Hate me for it?" she asked Embra.

Embra grabbed her shoulder. "No. You did what you felt was right at the time, for everyone. And you didn't like it then. But, if any of the others did it, I wouldn't know what you did for me... Thank you..."

Lumina smiled, holding back her tears. "No, thank you... For forgiving me. Maybe now, I can forgive myself for a change..."

"Err, do you need any help with that?"

"No... But I would like it all the same," Lumina responded with a smile.

As Embra and Lumina guided the giant crystal into the pedestal, Star activated the intercom. "Shelly, the Genie Crystal is being mounted at this very moment. It's almost time."

"Understood," said Shelly on the other side.

=== Outside the gates. ===

Aurora was guiding the last of the straggler visitors leaving Northern Light onto her flying cargo ship. Another message came onto the intercom system as the last person she saw come out of the gate boarded her vessel.

"We will initiate departure in 5 minutes. All those staying, make final preparations. All those leaving, this is your last chance to leave."

She waited two. One more person came out, hauling a massive case of Northern Light soda cans.

"Are you kidding me?!" she snapped.

"Hey, this stuff is good! I don't know when they're coming back..."

She sighed. "Yeah, fair enough. Just be sure to share one or two of those with the other passengers, okay?"

She helped him load the case onto her aircraft, then proceeded to the cockpit. She activated the systems, then asked her passengers to hang on as she took to the air. As she flew south, she could see out the window just what was heading their way...

Hundreds of beings - humans, presumably - marching towards the city. She could make out advanced glowing armor and weapons, likely magic technology. Some carried rifles, others heavier equipment. They were there to level the place.

Aurora hoped this plan of theirs worked. They had hours... If that.

=== Under the city. ===

The glow of the massive Genie Crystal filled the chamber. Every tube, wire, and bar took a soft blue glow as they filled with Light Magic.

"Switching Northern Light's power supply..." Star said as she hit a switch. Power flickered for a moment in the chamber, then returned to normal.

"Alright, power seems to be okay. Genie Crystal is unfazed."

"That's what I'm getting on my end," said Shelly over the intercom.

"Next step, charging the magic barrier..." Star hit another switch. Waves emanated from the Genie Crystal through the bars on the floor.

On the surface, Shelly watched the twelve towers along the city's walls light up. They launched curved lines of light over the city, converging over the city's center. At this convergence, waves of bluish light expanded over the city, creating a dome. The magic shield had worked!

"Star, the barrier is up. Are we ready for the final phase?"

"I hope so..." She turned to Embra and Lumina. "Brace yourselves, we're about to rip Northern Light right out of the ground. This could get hectic..."

"Shelly?"

Shelly turned to the city-wide system. "All citizens, brace yourselves for the final phase!"

Star hit the final switch...

Aurora could see in her rear-view mirror as a massive beam of light shot up from the horizon. A massive hole in the sky opened up, leading to a world of light - the Genie Realm itself.

Below, Star held onto the wall as the city began to violently shake. Embra tripped over and fell into Lumina's waiting arms.

Avor and Emilia had just finished bracing the last of the furnishings as they felt the earth shake. They quickly got down to the floor and braced themselves.

Shelly could somewhat see what was happening from her view thanks to her office's skylight, as the gateway to the Genie Realm began to pull Northern Light from the earth. The hole in the sky appeared to grow ever larger as the city rose toward it...

Aurora had set her ship to hover, gazing in awe of the sight; a city rose further and further over the horizon. She saw that the city appeared intact, held by the barrier and the intricate latticework of glowing metal that was now in perfect view, originally hidden under the city.

As the city rose, the tremors weakened, allowing everyone to stand on their feet again. Lumina followed Star and Embra up the ladder so they could get outside and see what was happening for themselves. They got to the clocktower's top just as the city began passing the event horizon, watching as the Genie Realm overtook the city.

Aurora watched this from afar, seeing the city being swallowed up as it rose into the hole in the sky until it was no longer visible. It was here that the gateway began to quickly close behind it, ensuring none would be able to follow.

Embra, Star, and Lumina were in the best place to watch as the gateway closed underneath the city, the Genie Realm quickly enveloping the city. It was now done.

Northern Light was saved. And isolated...

=======

Many citizens had gathered in the city square, along with Mayor Shelly, the half-genies and their zombie parents, and Lumina herself.

People were hugging and crying. They knew that they were now stuck in Northern Light for an unknown amount of time, as safe as the city now was in the realm of the Guardian Genies. Some had gathered to figure out what the next plan was, if there was any.

Lumina had spent some time talking with the citizens, assuring them the genies would help take care of their needs while they were here. She had just got back with her daughters, their family, and the Mayor.

"So, I guess the big question is, what now?" Embra asked.

"My thought originally was to have Lumina drop Star off somewhere in the mortal realm so she could fight in our stead..." Shelly explained.

"I could still make that work," Lumina suggested.

"You could, but I think the people need their half-genie guardian for the moment, and more reassurances from you, Lumina." She turned to Embra. "I hate to ask you to go again for our cause, but do you think your shadow gates can get you out of here? You, slipping back into the mortal world, would be the quickest way to get the ball rolling..."

Embra felt out her powers, to make sure they would work. She could feel some connections she could make to places she remembered. "I think, as long as I can find a dark place somewhere around here, I can make a shadow gate back. I can try to figure some things out from there."

"Shelly, can I see Embra off myself? I would imagine it would be quick..."

"I would hope you eventually would go with her, but I understand. We don't know what she might face. Go with her. I will see you back here when it's done, okay?"

"Yes, mam!"

The Huntsmans and Lumina walked over to their home. It appeared the violent tremors from earlier had loosened a few things from the home, but now they had all the time in the world to repair it. Where else would they be going?

Inside, Embra changed into her classic genie outfit for the first time since the nightmares woke her up. She was planning to go back to Scuttle Town, as she had a home there that she used as a base for her Sequin Land operations. It should be a safe port of landing, so to speak.

She found her family waiting for her in the living room.

"I haven't seen you in that before. You look beautiful in it," said Lumina.

"Thank you... Mommy Lumina," Embra replied with a smile.

Everyone saw Lumina actually glow as she smiled, the name bringing back a very warm memory.

"I can't believe we are about to see you go again..." Avor said, trembling a bit.

"Dad, it's different this time. I know you're both alive, and I will know where to find you. As long as there's that, I will be able to find my way back to you guys. Still..." She walked up and hugged them both. They held onto her tightly before letting her go. "I love you both."

"Us too," Emilia responded.

She turned to Star. "Well, I should be seeing everyone again soon. After all, it sounds like I'm coming back for you?"

"That's right! After all, Northern Light doesn't need a half-genie sitting on her flat butt, doing nothing in the Genie Realm. They need her out there, fighting to make things safe for their return!"

They hugged each other. "I will see you again soon, sis," Star said to Embra.

"You too, sister!"

They let each other go, and Embra approached the closet she used for her shadow gates...

"One more thing, Embra..." Lumina started. "Be safe, be alert. We know Cliff Town is after you. I couldn't forgive myself if you got hurt..."

Embra nodded. She turned to the door and took a deep breath. She slowly opened the door, taking one last longing look at her strange and wonderful family before closing the door...

=== 13 years ago... ===

The former Mayor of Northern Light trudged his way through the snow, making it further and further south.

He couldn't believe they would choose to side with a delusional bunch of children over practicality and logic. The heart does not win in a world so dangerous as this.

He thought with the Huntsmans out of the way, they could get Martin straight. Instead, they side with the orphaned half-human and a witch's spawn.

Why is it so hard to acknowledge cold truths? They were the truth, and that was the most important thing. There must be something in the way...

All Victor Marin knew was, he would never be made a fool of again. He would show everyone the harsh truth of the world... One day...

=== Scuttle Town, Present Day. ===

Embra opened up the closet door on the other side. She heard rain pattering on the roof, and she could hear distant rumbles of thunder. She looked around. Seemingly, nothing was disturbed...

And yet, she could feel it. Something was off.

Shink.

She heard the sound of a sword unsheathing. Above her!

She jumped back as a gleaming sword blade dropped before her eyes, carried by a dead-eyed woman who tried to plunge it into her. She immediately manifested a shadow staff to knock her back.

A flash of lightning gleamed off of another blade in mid-swing. She threw herself back, but the blade grazed her, cutting off the length of hair that covered her left eye and cutting her above the brow. She recoiled from the pain.

There were two of them, a man and a woman.

She quickly moved out of the corner and got her footing back. She desperately defended herself from the assassins from Cliff Town, using every ounce of her capacity to keep them at bay.

One knocked the staff out of her hands, and it vaporized without her concentration. She saw a quick moment to grab one's sword arm and snatched it. She heard the other coming and leaped out of the way, straining the wrist of the other and causing her to let go. The charging man plunged his sword into the woman, and she dropped right there.

Embra quickly grabbed the free sword and plunged it into his back. She stammered backwards as she realized what she had done.

Two people just died at her hands.

She put her hands over her mouth, horrified at what she just did, even if it was self-defense. She felt sick. She needed to go outside and get some air. Quickly.

She darted over to the door and threw it open. She was gasping for air, hyperventilating. She trembled as she was about to start crying.

That is when she heard another sword unsheathe. Another - a lookout, perhaps - had just spotted her.

"No no no NO NO! Just leave me alone!" she yelled, but it was drowned out but the increasingly heavy rain, not that it could have ever reached one without a soul.

As the man moved towards her, she willed as much magic as she could to create a shadow bolt that she threw with all of her might. It blasted the man several yards away into a canal.

Embra quickly ran out of town, screaming and crying into her hands as she fled into the cold, stormy night...

TO BE CONTINUED IN ANOTHER STORY...

By CrystalSeaDragon44

2