The Missing Half-Genie – Part 2
23 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*This story is based on characters and concepts from the Shantae video game series. Those characters and concepts belong to WayForward and creators Matt and Erin Bozon. Some characters featured in this story are LGBTQ. There is an affirming transgender transformation in this piece.

The Missing Half-Genie - Part 2
Star

The Bandit Town tavern was filled with all sorts of monster people and criminals from all over. From big name villains to monsters that were a cut above their wild kin, this was not the place for the faint of heart.

The doors flung open, and all could see a half-genie woman, with her dirtied white and gold genie outfit and disheveled golden blonde hair, with a wild look of determination in her orange eyes. She brushed her hands through her hair, straightening it back out.

A Scorpman wearing a matching black vest and eye patch was the first to confront her. "Well, look at this pretty little thing that just walked through the door. You lost, little lady?"

He was lucky her glare didn't fire actual lasers (something Star was more than capable of). Instead, she miraculously picked the monster man 3 times her size off the ground with her glowing arms and threw him into the opposite wall, leaving a massive dent in the wall. He was on the ground, out cold.

"Don't test me. It's been a rough week," she growled.

The rest of the patrons shrugged and went back to their business. Star walked throughout the bar, looking for one patron in particular. Find her, she did.

She sat down at the table with the self-proclaimed Queen of the Seven Seas herself: Risky Boots.

She noticed her visitor. "Did I give you permission to sit with me?" She asked condescendingly.

"I'm not asking for it," Star growled as she plopped down in the chair.

"Well, I had heard stories about Northern Light's guardian, but I didn't imagine one so... Feisty."

"Don't let the soft innkeeper vibe I usually have fool you; I can make people hurt if they hurt those I care about."

"Heh, so I see," she said with a mischievous grin, glancing at the still knocked out Scorpman. "He do something I should know about?"

"He got in my way."

"My, my. Now, I see something has brought you to me..."

"I hear you keep your ears to the ground. You know things. I might be interested in those things."

"What are you willing to pay? I'm pretty sure I'm out of your price range..." Risky said dismissively.

Before she knew it, Star had leapt over the table and put Risky's arms behind her. Risky could feel the warm glow of the light surrounding Star's arms.

"How about I pay you with your own arms? Do. Not. Test. Me."

Risky knew what she was dealing with now. "Very well." Star let go and was back into her chair in a flash, as if nothing just happened.

"Clearly, someone is in a bad mood... But, I hear your city rose into the sky and was swallowed up by another world."

"So you heard, but do you know why? It's been a few days, so everyone should know the disappearing city stuff by now. Or am I looking at the wrong one for the job?"

"Rumor has it that the Mayor of the north was a witch's daughter that most thought was powerless, until she had premonitions of the end of her city."

"Better. I know that was kept closer to the chest."

"Cliff Town had amassed an invasion force and was already moving towards the city, from what I understand. Perhaps because of a certain half-genie they once had in their midst..."

"Much better. Even most in Northern Light don't know that. You’re the real deal."

"Oh? But do I sense there's more to the story than meets the eye?" Risky asked, leaning forward with a grin.

"It's only fair. But first... Do you know the inner workings of Cliff Town? Or are you as blind as the genies themselves?"

"So, not even the Guardian Genies themselves know what's going on... I knew they were secretive, but to hide from those watching from another world is no small feat."

"Like you managed with the Magic Dynamo? I hear that the genies caught wind of the plan, and yet you still managed to completely blindside them."

"I do admit that was one of my finer moments..." Risky said with a grin. "But even I don't know what those recluses are up to in that mountain..."

"How about I fill you in?"

"Oh? Do tell..." Risky leaned in ever closer. Star had to look up into Risky's eyes so as to not get distracted.

"It's a den of horrors. A cult of pain worship. Soul theft. Demonic deals. A weapon so powerful, it could reshape - or destroy - reality, and they're aiming to fill their empty husk bodies with Primordial Magic to make all, themselves included, suffer for all eternity. They're modifying this ancient weapon to disperse the magic they want to have."

Risky perked up on the mention of a powerful weapon. "A weapon, you say? It sounds like the Hades Cannon..."

"Know something?"

"Rumors for decades suggested the original still existed somewhere, but no one could find it. And given it was designed to reach into the stars and dig deep into the earth, most figured it was long gone. No one could hide something that big."

"Well, we have visual proof of it; it's in their mountain."

"As much as I would love to own power that great, it is said to possess a mind of its own with all of that magic running through it. You never control it; it controls you. Better off leaving something like that to the trash bin of history."

"And yet, Cliff Town is trying to recreate it."

"Indeed. And yet, I haven't heard of the genies or demons trying to make a move."

"I can give you an insider tip; you're not going to see the genies any time soon. My mother has reached the end of her rope trying to convince them to intervene even after showing them the evidence. She feels they're too afraid of the lamp and the magic-swapping advances that have been made."

"Which leaves the demons, and those bunch are clueless from my own dealings with them. Even if they made a move, they'd take too long to get through whatever it is they do down there."

"Which leaves the people of this world to fight them."

"I assume you're not just here to ask for what I know... You're after a little more..." Risky insinuated.

"Perceptive as I hear. Yes, my mom told me the same veils that blocked the genies from even noticing Cliff Town are now popping up in other places, like Scuttle Town. Shantae is trying to find what's causing it, but after a few days, she hasn't found it..."

"Finding something like that isn't my style..."

"Then, how about causing chaos and disorder?"

Risky sat up at the notion. "Oh?"

"That's right, I'm asking you to raid Scuttle Town. I will take the blame for it if it ever came to light."

"You must be truly desperate... But how does that help you find what you're looking for?"

"Remember 'soul-sucking pain cult?' We know it's being guarded, and that person is likely soulless. They won't panic even if the city is falling apart around them."

"That is clever indeed. Are you sure you're a half-genie?"

"My sister is missing. She's being hunted by soulless husks who want to end the world, and the place I call home and protect is stuck in another world until they're defeated. I'm going as far as I can to get them back."

"Very well. I think the pillaging will be enough to pay for services..."

"What's the plan? Are you going to use your new Tinkersub MK4, by chance?"

"Wait... How did you know about that?!" Risky exclaimed.

"Heh, I might have insider knowledge on what happened to one, two, and three..." Star said with a grin.

Risky started piecing it together. She finally figured out what has been going on all of these months. "As much as I would like to be mad, I must say, your sister is a master of sabotage. Well played..."

=== Scuttle Town, a few minutes later. ===

Shantae was in a dark alley. She had made sure she wasn't followed and no one was watching. In the blink of an eye, Star appeared before her.

"So, did you get Risky to agree to something?" she asked Star.

"You are probably not going to like it..."

Shantae sighed. "So, we're going through with the plan you came up with after all..."

"Unless you want to keep looking? I see the bags starting to form under your eyes. Have you even been sleeping?"

"I have!"

Star didn't look convinced.

"... For a few minutes at a time."

"Face it, we're not going to find the needle in this haystack. So, let's blow away the haystack."

"Yeah, and half the town. Seriously, it's a bad idea."

"Says the sleep-deprived half-genie who's spent days searching the town for a person near something we can't identify. But, you're still right."

"And you haven't found Embra either, I take it..."

Star closed her eyes and gritted her teeth. She could feel Embra was out there somewhere, but she had no idea where to look.

Shantae noticed this was a sore spot for Star. "I'm sorry..."

"No, you're okay. I know she's still out there, but I worry about her..."

"Me too... I just wish we could find her without letting Risky attack the town."

"There's way too many places to look. If we can get the veil lifted, we can get the genies to help."

"If they will..."

"Lumina will, and that should be more than enough."

"I suppose you're right."

"I will let Risky know the plan is going forward. However, I doubt she will give me any warning, so be ready at all times. I will hide out in the city to start looking when the chaos starts. You just do your thing, Shantae!"

=======

"That is a terrible idea. It shocks me that a half-genie such as yourself would even think of such a plan."

"I'm sorry, your Highness," Star said with a bow, "but I am trying to find Embra AND make sure the genies can continue to watch over us. Neither can happen with this veil up."

Star decided to confess directly to the Sultana of Sequin Land about the planned attack. She still had a conscience.

"Be that as it may, this is a risky plan, and a lot can go wrong... But, I admire your honesty. And you must care deeply for Embra to go this far for her..."

"I do."

"As it stands, my hands are tied. As much as I condemn this plan, I also know it may be the only thing we can do."

"I honestly don't know if I should say 'thank you' or 'I'm sorry...'"

"If you lift the veil and work to keep the damage to a minimum, I may thank you later... For now, please, go."

"I understand, your Highness..."

=== The next morning... ===

Shantae awoke to the sounds of cannonfire. Risky was attacking the city again! (... Even if this time, she knew it was coming, and it was part of a larger plan.)

"Ack!" she yelped as she fell out of bed, scrambling to get her stuff around. "Risky, why do you always attack while I'm sleeping?!"

With everything mostly in order (she was wearing her shoes on the wrong feet, and her ponytail was a mess), she raced into the city to confront Risky. She leaped from roof to roof, racing her way over to her nemesis...

Star watched Shantae leap over her position in an alley. "Time for me to move," she said to herself, quietly.

Cannonballs struck nearby buildings. Smoke was filling the air. People were running around, panicking. Once or twice, she had to knock out a Tinkerbat attacking her for being in the same place.

She weaved through alleys, searching every dark corner she could as fast as she could - which, given her affinity for light, was considerable.

And yet, she searched the city 3 times already. She was running out of time: eventually, Shantae would drive Risky out. "What am I missing?" she asked herself, but a glance over her shoulder gave her something she hadn't seen before; it looked like a dock, but it was covered by the oddball construction of the city, buildings on top of buildings, and it looked like there was no easy way to reach it. There was only a narrow ledge leading to this shaded dock in the middle of nowhere.

She shuffled slowly along the ledge so she wouldn't fall in the water. That's when she saw a hooded figure simply sitting there, next to what looked like a trash can. He was trying to pass himself off as a homeless man, but his inconspicuous position and seeming superhuman calm was giving it away.

"Found you!" Star exclaimed.

The man turned. Unblinking dead eyes. "The Cloak must be protected," he muttered.

The top of the can began to glow. Before Star's eyes, the can unfolded itself into a bigger and bigger thing. The former top of the can had become a glowing red eye for a massive machine, one with a wild array of clawed tentacle arms.

"[HALFLING ABOMINATION HAS DISCOVERED THE CLOAK,]" it said in a deep, mechanical voice. "[PREPARING CLEANSING PROTOCOL.]"

"Oh crud..." Star muttered.

It fired a beam from its eye. Star hopped out of the way to dodge it. She ran back, moving so fast as to race across the water. The machine pursued her, using its myriad of 18 arms to guide itself without going into the water.

When it had free arms, it grabbed everything it could reach for and threw it at Star. Star leaped out of the way of rocks and wood beams to the occasional Tinkerbat unlucky enough to get near. She tried firing back, but its pursuit was relentless.

Shantae was locked in combat with Risky when they both heard Star run by in the streets below, screaming. She was being chased by a mechanical kraken, throwing everything at her and firing lasers.

"Well, I see someone found what she was looking for," Risky responded. "With that, my job here is done."

She jumped away before Shantae could even ask for her help. She knew Star wasn't going to be able to take the thing on alone...

Star took a wrong turn. She arrived at a dead end. She considered going up, but as soon as she thought to try, several wood beams were driven into the walls above her. She created a shield of light to protect her from the onslaught of the automation. She could feel her powers strain under the pressure. This thing was going to kill her...

That's when an elephant dropped from the air on top of it! The elephant bounced off the machine and fell to the ground, changing back into Shantae. They both looked up to see the sorry state of the murderous machination, now busted up in several places, and as many as 10 arms severed from the sheer force of the impact.

Most importantly, Star could see a strange device, giving off a black aura, that had become exposed from the broken armor. She readied a javelin of light and threw it with her light-enhanced strength. It sailed through, catching the device and tearing it from the robot, where it stuck into a nearby building.

"[ERROR. CLOAK DISABLED. ELIMINATE WITNESSES,]" it bellowed.

However, it was now moving sluggishly, heavily damaged from Shantae's elephant transformation. This was their chance!

Shantae summoned fire and threw it at the machine. Its plate armor grew red hot under the heat.

Star created a large, spiked club of pure solid light. This was personal.

She ruthlessly bashed it again and again, ripping pieces of armor away and severing more of its mechanical arms with well-placed hits. Eventually, it had no more to give.

"[CRITICAL FAILURE. SHUTTING DOWN. REPAIRS RECOMMENDED.]"

"I don't think so!" yelled Star as she tripled the size of her club and brought it down on top of the robot. This caused the robot to start detonating as it glowed brighter and brighter until it disappeared in an enormous flash. All that was left were a couple of its tentacle arms, twitching from what little power they had left in them.

Shantae turned to Star. "You're actually kind of scary sometimes."

"Sorry, but that thing was standing between me and my sister. Also, it WAS trying to kill me."

Shantae and Star looked around. "You know, it seems like Risky was holding back this time..." Shantae remarked.

"Umm, I see a lot of buildings with holes in them, and debris everywhere. Are you sure about that?"

"Better than fully demolishing a chunk of the town. Trust me, this is light repair compared to the usual."

Huh, maybe Risky isn't as bad as she makes herself out to be... Star thought. Well, she still attacked the city, seemed to enjoy it, and had her men steal things, but she didn't go full bore. Interesting.

They were walking through the rubble, but people were still nervous. "Shantae, something's still wrong..." Star suggested.

Shantae walked up to one of the citizens. "Hey, what's going on? Risky ended her attack..."

"There's a force of some really scary-looking people at the gates..."

Star and Shantae looked at each other. They needed to investigate. This didn't sound right... The heroines raced to the city gates to see that there was a massive force of robed people at the gates...

And Star immediately recognized their leader.

"Victor Marin..." she said, slowly.

"It has been many years. I am surprised you still recognize me."

"I can't forget that resting disapproval look on your face, but the lifeless eyes thing is a new look for you. It works; it completes the package that is Victor Marin."

"Say what you will, but I have seen the truth of the world."

"Oh, I know about that... And all the horrors going on in that bunker of yours."

"And I know how you cut a deal with Risky Boots to have her attack the town, Star."

Star was taken aback, but she was not about to waver here, even if the townsfolk were now starting to whisper. "Fine, I fully admit it, but it was to find a machine that was enveloping Sequin Land in a veil the Guardian Genies couldn't see through - one you had planted in Scuttle Town."

"Do you really trust the word of this half-genie?" Victor said to the crowd. "She just admitted to asking someone to attack your city. Never mind all the failed efforts of your regular guardian to get rid of her. Who's to say she isn't working with her too?"

Star moved to block Shantae. "That's uncalled for! Smear my name all you want, but she fights hard for the people here. She is doing her absolute best." Her stare at Victor was unwavering, but if she turned around, she would have seen a smile and a tear from Shantae.

"What is the proof of your claims, then?"

"Right here!"

Everyone turned around to see the source of the new voice. They were in awe of the dark-skinned woman with a mane of hair glowing in white light. It was clear: this was a Guardian Genie in the flesh! She was holding the core from the robot that Star managed to remove earlier (before beating it to pieces).

She stood in front of the crowd, locking eyes with Victor. "A Cosmic Cloak Projector. I haven't seen this in many years. Demonic knowledge, is it not?"

The whispers intensified.

"Lumina, it has been some time..."

"I know why you're here, Victor, thanks to Star and Shantae lifting the Cosmic Cloak. You came here to eliminate Shantae, didn't you?"

A number of gasps came from the crowd. Shantae and Star looked pale.

"What makes you think that?"

Lumina looked unamused as she gestured to the large attack force that Victor had assembled. "We may not have been able to see your tricks. But we know what you're up to, and what you think. And as much as the rest of my kind have been hesitant to fight back so far... Do you honestly think you could get away with killing the savior of the Genie Realm? That would be such a personal offense that I would imagine my sisters would HAVE to act on it."

Victor gave this considerable thought.

"Are you willing to risk war with the Guardian Genies just to retaliate against one half-genie? I know your plans have not reached their fruition yet. We would erase you with a single thought!"

Victor realized she wasn't bluffing. He knew Lumina personally. She gave it her all, and without the lamp, even one Guardian Genie would ruin them.

"Leave. NOW."

"Have it your way," Victor muttered. "We will leave Scuttle Town alone. For now. But, one day, Lumina, you and your kind will not stop us." Victor waved to send his forces away. He looked at Shantae specifically. "Take this time you have been given to make peace with your sins." He turned and walked away with the rest of his forces.

"I REALLY hate that guy now..." Shantae muttered.

Star raced up to her and hugged Lumina. "Thankyousomuchforthatmom!" she said at her incomprehensible speeds.

But Lumina understood it. "I will always be there for you, my daughter."

"Did you come here to defend us?" Shantae asked.

"A lot more than that, actually. Star, Shantae, I know where Embra is now. She's in Tangle Forest."

"Wait, Tangle...?" Shantae began. "I got it!" She slapped her forehead. "Why didn't I think of that before?!" She grabbed Star's hand, causing her to turn a pink color as Shantae dragged her along. "I know where Embra is now! Come on! I know where she is!" Shantae pulled Star away with her, heading towards the forest.

The Mayor of Scuttle Town took this opportunity to try to "upgrade."

"Miss Lumina? Scuttle Town could use a better guardian. I was wondering if you would be interested in taking the guardianship job in place of Shantae?"

"Opportunistic, aren't you? I'm sorry, but I cannot stay forever... But, what if you had more guardians, caring just as deeply about this town as Shantae herself?"

"Wait, what do you mean?" he asked.

"I need you to find a couple of people for me..."

=== Tangle Forest. ===

"Where is it? Where is it?" Shantae was muttering, looking around.

"What are you-" Star began.

"Found it!" she said, pointing to a large boulder.

"A rock?"

Shantae walked over to it and around it. She disappeared around the rock, and then her arm popped out to beckon Star over. Star walked over to see the sight she had been sorely missing, cradled in a hard to notice nook in the boulder...

It was Embra!

"Embra!" Star yelled, sliding into the hole and grabbing her. She was still warm and breathing. "Embra! Please! Wake up! It's me, Star!" She could see a scar over Embra's left eyebrow, and the hair that had once covered that eye was gone.

Embra's eye's started to open. "S-Star...?" she said in a raspy, weak voice. "Is that you?" Her lips were cracked, and she was severely dehydrated.

"It's me!" Star said, crying. "We were so worried about you!" Star manifested a glowing cup. She used her magic to allow the cup to filter some nearby water to make it safe to drink. "Here. Drink."

As Embra grabbed the cup and started to slowly drink from it, Star turned to Shantae. "How did you know where to look?"

"This is where I found her hiding all those months ago. She had just been kicked out of Cliff Town... She had a venomous monster bite, and I brought her back to Scuttle Town. Mimic told me about how a Genie Crystal could help..."

"But instead, you found a Hyper Crystal, Embra's Hyper Crystal..." Star looked at Embra, whose lips were already looking a little better after the drink. "How do you feel, sis?"

"S-still kinda weak..."

"Shantae, help me, will you?"

The pair hoisted Embra out of the hole. They held her upright, but it was clear she was too weak to walk on her own. She hadn't eaten in days, it seemed.

"We made sure Scuttle Town is a safe place again," Shantae assured Embra. "None of those Cliff Town husks are going to bother you."

"Th-thank you..."

"It was amazing, Embra, Lumina came to our defense and scared away Mayor Victor himself! She told us you were in Tangle Forest after we destroyed something called a Cosmic Cloak that was keeping the genies from seeing the area. I am SO sorry we couldn't find you sooner. Can you forgive us?"

"It's not you who needs..." Embra caught her breath. "... To ask. You're okay."

Star was probably a minute away from becoming a blubbering wreck. On top of having her sister back, that made her feel good.

"Embra, I just got to say, the stuff Star did for you... She's a scary person, but only if you're hurting people she cares about. She will fight with everything she's got for those she loves. You're lucky to have someone like her..."

"Thank you..."

"I just have to ask; why go back to that hole?"

"I just... I don't know. I freaked out. I ran... and I... ran..." Embra stopped for a moment to catch her breath. "I wound up in the forest... And I saw the rock... It felt safe... So I crawled in there and cried myself to sleep..."

Star at this point was crying silently. She would start bawling if she even tried to apologize for sending Embra out alone.

"You've got good people behind you, Embra, remember that. And next time, if you can remember in the moment: please come to my place next time! I will take care of you if you need it!"

"Thank you... Thank you both so much..." Embra said, shedding a few tears.

=== Scuttle Town. ===

It had been a slow walk back to town. Embra was still very weak and needed help the whole way. However, when they got into town, they noticed people were really excited.

"What's going on?" Shantae asked one of them.

"That Guardian Genie apparently transformed a girl into a half-genie, and she said there's another one in town who will have that honor!"

"What?!" Shantae exclaimed.

"THAT'S what she meant by more..." Star realized. "Embra recovered a trove of Hyper Crystals from Cliff Town. Lumina must have found some of them go to people in Scuttle Town!"

The trio moved as quickly as they could to the square, where this was taking place. Embra, even though she was still weak, was picking up the pace for excitement to see more like herself. When they got there, there was already a new half-genie, one playing with her new long, pointy ears.

"... Shine Magic..." they heard Lumina finish. "How original..." she muttered somewhat sarcastically. "Still, a worthy defender for Scuttle Town!"

There were cheers. Star herself cheered, "Another one like me!"

Lumina turned to look at her daughter, and saw she was with Embra. She walked up to Embra, but Embra knew what she was going to say and held up her hand as much as she could. "No... Lumina... You don't need to apologize..."

Lumina smiled and nodded. She turned to look at the other recipient, a boy about Embra's age, then turned back to her. "I'm glad you're here to see this, my precious daughter... For it seems there is another just like you..."

Embra's eyes widened when she realized what she meant by that. Lumina walked up to the young "man" and kneeled down to "him."

"It seems I wasn't the only one to recognize someone in true need of this gift..." she said to "him."

"Wha, what do you mean?"

Lumina pointed to Embra. "I saw into that girl's heart before she was a girl. I saw the life she was to live and the struggle she would face. But I also saw her amazing heart. You have that too, the heart for the powers of a half-genie!"

"But... I'm a boy..."

Embra let go of Shantae and Star, stumbling a bit. She caught herself with a walking cane manifested with her powers. She made her way up to "him" slowly. She put her free hand on "his" shoulder.

"That's what others tried to tell me... But I knew in my heart who I was... You... Feel the same way... Don't you?"

Lumina quietly pleaded for Embra to not overexert herself. She was still in a fragile state...

"Y-yes, I do..." admitted the trans girl.

"See? You're a great candidate for this power! You want to be a girl, and you have the heart to help others, too! You deserve this gift, child..." Lumina pulled out the other Hyper Crystal that belonged to the trans girl. "Now, unlike Elaina over there, this Hyper Crystal was made by a genie who is no longer with us... As such, the choice of what magic you receive is up to me... Or... Up to you!" Lumina leaned towards the trans girl. "Is there a power or form you have always wished to have, by chance?"

"Well..." She started blushing. "I kind of always liked the idea of becoming a mermaid..."

Lumina smiled. "There is an easy solution for that: Hydro Magic. You would gain the ability to move and manipulate water with your thoughts. All who have it gain the ability to transform into mermaids when they're in water. Do you think you'd like that?"

The girl-to-be smiled, her face turning red. She nodded.

The Hyper Crystal glowed slightly brighter for a moment in Lumina's hands, then she gave it to the trans girl. She held it tight, and all watched as she was enveloped by light and magic sparkles. No one could see what was going on through the lightshow, but the feeling of happiness she had was so palpable, everyone watching could feel it themselves.

The light faded, and everyone could see the profound transformation she had gone through: she now had a sleek, feminine form - one practically made for swimming - complete with the half-genie pointed ears and a mess of unkempt, wavy seafoam green hair on top of her head. Her eyes stayed the same shade of green they had been pre-transformation, and her clothes hung off her new body a bit awkwardly. She looked down at her own body, in awe of it.

Embra leaned close to her and whispered, "Is it everything you were hoping for?"

She was silently crying as she nodded, a big wide smile on her face.

"I know how you feel!" she said with a smile. "Now that you are a girl... Do you have a name you wanted?" she asked more openly.

"Maybe... I will stick to the water theme. Misty?" Her face turned red as she smiled. "Yeah, Misty! Call me Misty!"

Embra tried to bow, but she stumbled and Lumina caught her. "If you love it, then it's perfect for you!" Embra said, smiling, if a bit red herself, being embarrassed she fell like that in front of everyone.

"Elaina and Misty are Scuttle Town's newest half-genie guardians - not to replace Shantae, but to help her and her friends defend the city from harm!" Lumina declared. "Shantae, can you train these two?"

"Their powers are so different from mine, but I can try..." she answered.

Star turned to Shantae. "I think I can help with that..." She walked up to Elaina, and she gave her a great big passionate kiss.

"Star, what the heck?!" Embra shouted.

Star stepped back, a little red from the public display, but everyone could see Elaina's eyes were glazed over for a moment before she snapped to. She began putting on a dazzling display of Shine Magic, using all sorts of new powers she shouldn't be able to use yet.

"Woah, how do I know all of this all of a sudden?" the new half-genie asked.

"It's, umm, my half-magic quirk. I can transfer memories through kissing others. I just gave you everything I know about my own powers... Including the one my sister taught me..." Star explained, looking at Embra with a smile.

"That is a really strange power..." Embra muttered. "Although it does explain why I don't see you kissing people all that often..."

Star turned a deep crimson. "I may have knocked out one or two former girlfriends, kissing them without realizing I was giving them my whole life story..." she muttered lightly.

"Well, I guess then, I only need to worry about one to train now!"

"And I think I can help now. Thank you, Star! Just don't kiss me again - I'm not that kind of girl!"

"Sorry, but that's how it works!"

Shantae turned to Embra and Star, now next to each other and Lumina. "I heard about what happened to Northern Light. If you want, we could let you stay here. Five half-genies, working together to defend Scuttle Town..."

Embra shook her head. "No... We can't stay... Even with all of us... I'm realizing how much Cliff Town hates me... Even with the new half-genies... They may try to invade again... Just because of me..."

Star sighed. "She's right. Victor and her have bad blood all the way back from when Embra was a child in Northern Light..."

"Wait, I knew him then?" Embra muttered quietly.

"We need to go somewhere well out of his reach..."

Shantae thought about it for a moment. "I think I know where..."

=======

Star could see gleaming towers rising over the horizon. Siren Island wasn't far. They had been given a boat and provisions for the trip to the island. Embra had been eating and was finally regaining her strength. Even though Lumina could have teleported them in, Star realized tripping the security the island now had might be a better way in, giving them a less abrupt surprise.

They passed by a buoy that looked fairly new. A red light popped up from it. They stopped the boat here.

"So, you think the Sirens will help?" Embra asked.

"Shantae suggested that some of the Sirens really cared for us. She mentioned an 'Aurora' that seemed concerned for us, that told the Sultana of Sequin Land herself about what happened. She also said Rottytops told her the Sirens were furious over Cliff Town's intrusions, and they were creating this security system to keep them out."

"Let's hope..."

A small flying object approached them. It had a camera on it.

"YAWN... What are you doing here?" asked a semi-sleepy voice on the other end.

"We're Star and Embra of Northern Light. We're requesting refuge from Cliff Town... We believe you can provide that for us, given the relationship between our lands..."

They heard a scramble come from the drone's speakers. "Wait, Embra and the girl who nearly crushed Lobbi?!" they heard from a more livelier voice, belonging to Coral.

Star blushed again from embarrassment. "Is that really all I'm known for?"

"We heard from our cargo pilots what happened. Why are you here?"

"We're fighting for the safe return of Northern Light. Embra will not be safe staying on the mainland. We heard you are defending against Cliff Town here - we need your help!"

"You may pass..." said the sleepy one.

"You make a terrible security chief. I will send Aurora to pick you up. Stay where you are." The voice module clicked off, but the drone stayed hovering there.

After a few minutes, a cargo ship flew towards them. It hovered over them and opened up a hatch, with a claw arm lowering to grab their ship. The Siren was holding onto the line herself.

"I am so happy to see you both!" she squealed. "When I heard Embra was attacked, I worried about you..."

"Aurora, right?" Star asked.

"Hang on..." the claw gripped the boat gently but firmly. It started to pull them up into the ship's cargo bay. When they were fully inside, the hatch sealed shut, and the claw released its grip, giving the two half-genies a jolt as the boat dropped a centimeter or two.

The Siren walked up and shook their hands. "Yes, my name's Aurora. Siren cargo pilot and mechanic. I got people out of Northern Light when the evacuation happened."

"Thank you," Star said with a bow. "We needed that kind of help, or otherwise, we could have sent visitors to an early grave."

"Those Cliff Town monsters are no joke. But what happened to nearly get Embra killed?"

The two explained everything that happened in the past few days. Embra, about her infiltration into Cliff Town and the Cliff Town assassins waiting for her in her Scuttle Town home - during which, Star was trying to hold back tears over Embra's explanation of the events. Star explained being brought in later to find Embra and the veil projector over Scuttle Town and the surrounding areas. After it all, Aurora's skin - even the scaly, colorful parts - lost some of their color.

"From your last visit here, we knew they were bad. But..." Aurora held back some sickness that was trying to come up. "How does ANYONE get that bad?"

"It might be like your former Empress," Embra suggested. "You just need one really scary individual taking control and forcing their ideas on others."

"Yeah, but we still had our minds, our souls. Not all of us agreed with the Empress. I hated her insistence on feasting on mortals for their life force. You know what I did? I consumed the life force of things like crabs and fish, then I ate them. Sure, morbid, but I'm an aquatic being with a taste for seafood. It was easier to feel full on that than the life force of sentient beings. It doesn't even taste right... I let the only person I ever fed on go with most of it because it tasted horrible... I even helped them escape the island."

She saw the two half-genies looking at her with blank stares, processing what she just told them.

"Sorry, I got carried away there..."

"No, don't be. You got upset, and you explained who you are to us..." Embra said, putting a hand on the Siren's shoulder. "If anything, I trust you a lot more now."

"Thanks."

A cracking came over the ship's intercom system. "Aurora, I assume you have the guests on board?" asked Coral.

"I do."

"Star, Embra, we're working to make space for you. We will discuss more in detail when you arrive at the docks..." The system clicked off.

Star turned to Embra. "So, what now?"

"I don't know... I need some time to think... All I know is, we have to find some way to stop Victor..."

=== Sequin Land Palace. ===

The Sultana wasn't expecting a Guardian Genie to enter the throne room, nor did she expect the information that was just relayed to her.

"... I know your position is precarious, but I wanted you to know what was going on."

"This is some of the most frightening news I have heard. You even have proof. Where do you think this goes from here?"

"Victor's heart was always closed off to me in Northern Light, back when I was guardian of those lands. But I sensed a deep pain and anguish, even without his soul. It has turned into an anger, seeped into his very essence, that cannot ever be satiated. If he gets his wish, I don't think he will stop with destroying our worlds..."

The Sultana nodded. "I see. What are your plans?"

"I don't know if I can motivate the other genies to-"

"No. What is YOUR plan? I have heard of your reputation, and I know you lived in Sequin Land in secret for some time, taking care of a mortal child. That was Embra, wasn't it?"

Lumina nodded. "I see I didn’t hide as well as I thought. But yes, I was taking care of Embra at that time. She’s the reason I am going to stand by my daughters. I am going to find the other recipients of the Hyper Crystals, as I can. I am not going to let a lamp or the Dynamo incident scare me away from helping this world... Even if I must give up my immortality or even all of my magic to do so. If I cannot convince another genie to join me, I will fight alone."

"Thank you. It gives me some comfort knowing there are those fighting so hard for this world..."

"Don't thank me... Thank Embra. Without her, I don't know if I would fight so hard..." Lumina began.

"And I know Embra will fight as hard as she can for this world."

THE FIGHT FOR THE WORLD SHALL BEGIN IN ANOTHER STORY...

By CrystalSeaDragon44

2