5. A Second Chance
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Under the scorched sun and the crowded traffic, there can be seen a man with his instrument doing a street performance. He wore a black hat, looked down all the time didn't want to show his face. His voice is not that beautiful either, but his talent with that guitar can't be taken lightly.

Even though the man's routine was quite impressive and pleasing to the ear, the pedestrians passing by never offered a tip or even stopped to admire it. There was nothing he could do but continue to play the musical instrument with all his skill. He doesn't even care anymore if he hasn't got any money for that grease man.

Day by day, his life revolved solely around being a busker. Relinquishing to the competition of hundreds of thousands of job seekers, he found solace in playing the guitar – a hobby he had embraced since his days at an orphanage.

As the hours passed and the sun dipped below the western horizon, the sky offered some respite from its heat. On the floor, he noticed a handful of coins scattered around a newspaper. Though not much, they served as a meager reward for his efforts, eliciting Elan to let out a deep sigh.

"I hope this will get me through the day," he muttered, stowing away the glimmering coins in his black shoulder bag. "Perhaps a cup of instant noodles will suffice for dinner."

Carefully packing his belongings and securing his guitar in its case, he was about to depart when a sudden shout called him from behind. "Elan!"

Turning towards the source of the voice, Elan spotted a man much younger with dreadlocks rushing towards him. "How did it go?"

Elan made a wry smile, replying, "Nothing unusual. Why do you ask?"

"Hey, are you okay yesterday?" The scruffily dressed man replied, falling into step beside Elan. "I heard Mr. Ryan gave you a hard time."

"Only punches, that's what he usually does," Elan tried to change the subject. "You don't need to worry about me, Brent."

"No, I don't want that to happen to me!" replied the young man named Brent, his pale face reflecting his scared.

"What?" Elan furrowed his brow.

"My earnings from busking were meager today," Brent trembled, lowering his head. "I don't think I'll return to the boarding house."

"And where will you sleep tonight?" Elan raised his voice slightly, concerned about Brent's well-being. "Under the bridge, accompanied by those rats?"

"I don't have many options, do I?" Brent responded with a hint to flee. 

"I talk to him later." Elan insisted, turning his head ahead to the sidewalk.

Brent was shocked and hurriedly stated, "Are you gone mad? He can never be convinced!" 

After careful consideration, what the kid said appears to be true. Elan had recently let him down, and negotiating with him now might only make things worse, especially since he couldn't bear to let his sibling suffer.

Brent is from the same orphanage as Elan. However, before Elan came into his life, Brent had no friends and was even bullied by other kids at the orphanage. That's why, when he got to know Elan, he stuck by his side, treating him like a brother.

"How much did you get?" Elan suddenly asked, breaking the silence amidst the echoing sounds of vehicle horns around them.

As evening approached, the streets grew busier, with the glittering city lights illuminating the place. Elan and Brent decided to muster the courage to return to their boarding house, knowing they had nowhere else to go, even if it meant facing Ryan's wrath.

As expected, the long corridor echoed with loud shouts, drawing other occupants from their rooms who tried to intervene but were powerless to stop the situation. This time, Elan wasn't just hit; he was kicked repeatedly, nearly losing consciousness. Witnessed this, Brent couldn't accept it and attempted to stop the stout man's actions.

"Stop!" Brent pleaded, tears streaming down his face. "Please forgive Elan!"

"Given a chance, and you still act like this!" Ryan thundered, halting his aggressive behavior, and taking a heavy breath. "Ungrateful kids!"

"Be thankful you weren't thrown out of the orphanage because of me bringing you all here!" Ryan stormed into his room, slamming the door shut, the noise reverberating throughout the boarding house.

Brent continued to cry uncontrollably and struggled to speak, "I-I'm sorry, brother!"

Despite spitting out blood, Elan managed to force a smile, leaning against the wall. "It's okay... I'm used to this."

"No, I can't forgive myself!" Brent fumed, hitting the floor. "You're in this condition because of me!"

"I've already told you not to worry," said Elan, occasionally coughing, as he tried to stand while holding his distressed stomach. "Go back to your room. I'll rest for a while."

Brent kneel, frozen, unable to do anything but watch as Elan took shaky steps toward his own room, using the wall for aid. When that door closed, the other roommates re-entered without questioning Elan's condition.

Meanwhile, Elan hurried to the bathroom, rinsing his mouth to clear away the blood. In the mirror, he saw his bruised and pitiful face, feeling a deep sense of sadness for himself. Life had been filled with suffering, to the point where he longed to escape somewhere, anywhere.

However, discovering the world of Axian had given him a newfound sense of purpose. It was the second chance he had yearned for. Despite the chaos around him, he walked over to the computer, switched it on, and opened the Realm of Axian application. His excitement surged as he fastened the gadget around his neck and lay back on the bed.

This was his true world, where he could freely embark on adventures and enjoy things that were impossible in the real world. A world that allowed him to escape from all his pain. But, like a sudden electric shock, he was reminded of Ha Suan's words, shattering his beautiful daydream.

One thing was certain, whether in the real world or the Realm of Axian, Elan couldn't escape from his sorrow. 

As Elan presses the power button on his devices, a sudden chill creeps down his neck, gradually numbing his mind with each passing second. Drifting off to sleep, he finds his consciousness transmigrated into the world of the game. Familiar music fills his ears, causing his heart to race with excitement. Before he knows it, he's gazing down from above at the breathtaking scenery of the Realm of Axian.

[You are about to enter the Realm of Axian.]

[Checking Character's Data.]

[Welcome back to the world full of wonders, Liu Han!]

[Teleported to the last checkpoint.]

[You are unable to enter the Sidetown Tailor right now.]

[You are moved to the Velina Inn.]

[Loading Completed.]

He found himself standing in an ancient room, a combination of red brick and wood that appeared both simple and antique. In front of a mirror adorned with abstract carvings in the corners, it didn't reflect the injured Elan but instead, Liu Han, who had a radiant expression.

Liu Han's hazel eyes glowed with intense ambition, firming his determination to work hard and change his weak self into one of formidable strength. He convinced himself that the name Zuiro would instill fear across the entire land of Axian with its power. However, for now, he needed to concentrate on his task, gradually tempering himself bit by bit.

With swift movements, he exited the room and descended the stairs, where he was greeted by a bustling scene of people enjoying their coffee or attending various activities. However, he knew that all these individuals were merely NPCs, as he was currently in a special channel for new users who had just logged in. Before he could interact with other real players, he had to venture out of this area and synchronize with the rest of the virtual world.

Baturia City exuded a timeless beauty that captivated Liu Han as he stood in the courtyard. His gaze wandered across the diverse players passing by—some in a hurry, while others leisurely strolled through the picturesque streets.

Intrigued by the possibilities, he made his way to a corner beside the inn, where an eye-catching Bounty Mission board awaited him. These limited missions could be undertaken thrice daily, and Liu Han had to make a mindful choice among the available tasks. Squinting his eyes, he meticulously evaluated the options displayed before him.

Among the choices, he spotted one that piqued his interest:

[Save the Marietta Farm from Deadly Boars!

Experience: 350 (-50% for 7 days)

Reputation: +50 Baturia

Coins: None

Food: Tomatoes & Corn

Gears: None

Others: Corn Seed

Accept: Yes/No?]

Liu Han's brow furrowed slightly as he noticed the deduction in experience, a significant consequence that humbled his life in Axian. Nevertheless, he started shifting his mindset, endeavoring to accept it gracefully and keep moving forward.

[Yes]

After confirming his choice, Liu Han opened a map and searched for Marietta Farm, marking its location. Instantly, a transparent blue navigation appeared in front of him, eliciting a broad smile as he hurriedly set off toward his destination.

This wasn't the moment to submit; there were still numerous goals he needed to accomplish in the Realm of Axian.

To be continued...

0