~ Chapter 3 ~ Lyra
37 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

~ Chapter 3 ~

~ Lyra POV~


 

Team Noir was my family, a close-knit group of four facing challenges together. Composed of Caelum, Orion, Draco, and myself, we first met during our mech runner initiation. Those early days feel vivid in my memory, a time of youth and adventure.

I still remember our first missions, the thrill as we navigated urban landscapes. Caelum was our anchor, guiding us with wisdom and calm. Orion's smart thinking and technical skills kept us safe, and his mischievous spirit added a touch of fun. Draco's fiery determination inspired us, and his loyalty bound us. As for me, Lyra, my passion for tech helped us navigate challenges, blending with our collective brilliance.

In our youth, at about 19 or 20, brimming with dreams and optimism. The world stretched before us, a canvas for our bravery and resolve. Our connection fortified us, it was our source of strength, showing we were never alone.

 

Then, the attack on HQ shattered our sanctuary, plunging us into chaos. Not just our team but the rest of humanity.

The Enlightened aimed at our communication hub, cutting us off from command. This let them break through the main gate, using our lost connection to their advantage. Our unity was shattered, leaving us disconnected and vulnerable. Vital supplies dwindled, strategies crumbled, and the delicate balance between unity and chaos was disrupted. The chaos that had unfolded within our ranks mirrored the chaos that had consumed the world, a bleak reflection of the dire circumstances we faced.

This disaster rippled far beyond the battlefield. Humanity's struggle for survival became even harder as we lost ground to the Enlightened. The attack hit us hard, making our world even more dangerous.

 

Still, we fought back. Fueled by determination and solidarity, we managed to repel the encroaching threat. Through sheer will and tactical ingenuity, we persevered, regaining a stable connection to central command. Our unity was restored, and humanity's strength returned.

The people up top vowed to prevent this disaster from happening again. HQ’s plan: five huge communication ships called Mobile Headquarters. These ships would keep us connected and strong, even if another attack came. The largest one, Main HQ, would lead the way. It was humanity’s last bastion, holding the very last pieces of society. While Main HQ stays as far as possible, the remaining 4 would retake major parts of the world.

 

These Mobile Headquarters ignited hope within us, yet they were just a portion of HQ's comprehensive strategy. To further safeguard against a repeat of such an incident, a new role emerged within the mech squads: the 'Techlink'.

A member of a mech squad who specializes in technical support, handling comms, area scans, analysis, and long-range assistance, This pilot acts as a crucial link between the team's communication and strategic operations, enhancing the team’s  effectiveness in various aspects of the mission.

These pilots, with specialized equipment, were quickly distributed across all active squads, including ours.

 


 

"Hey, ease up a bit, alright? That face might scare away our new member." Lyra's voice chimed from where she sat.

"Lyra, you're not feeling a bit nervous yourself?" Draco inquired, his movements tense as he paced around the room.

"They mentioned that it was a new pilot, I doubt they're here to spar with you," Orion chimed in, his attention absorbed by his holodeck.

Draco halted abruptly. "Look, if we start off on the wrong foot, it's gonna mess up our teamwork. Sigh." He let out a deep breath.

Standing up, Lyra reached out and placed her hand on Draco's shoulder. "Relax, seriously. You're fierce in combat, right? Just channel that same confidence here."

 

Within her heart, a blend of jitters and anticipation swirled. A fresh teammate, a new addition to the family. She glanced around, finding herself in the team's shared lounge—a space that linked all their individual chambers. Although they had been assigned here not too long ago, the room already held a touch of their team's personality, adorned with trinkets and decorations.

The lounge boasted a comfortable size, its center adorned with couches and a kitchen tucked away in a corner. A hallway stretched to the left, leading to the pilot rooms. When they had first arrived, the purpose of the extra room had been a mystery. However, that question was swiftly resolved.

The door creaked open, unveiling Caelum with a young woman following closely. The newcomer bore a resemblance to their past selves when they first began. Stepping into the room, a mix of curiosity and uncertainty played across her face.

With wide, observant eyes, she took in the surroundings cautiously. The girl's shoulder-length, layered black hair framed her face, accentuating her features beneath the standard mech runner uniform she wore. Moving forward, her posture showed a mix of determination and nervous curiosity.

 

"..." The girl's gaze locked onto them.

"..." The team in the lounge returned the gaze.

 

Caelum gently tapped her shoulder and offered a reassuring nod.

 

"Ah, um, HELLO! I'm Aurora, a Techlink Specialist. N-NICE TO MEET YOU!" She exclaimed with a nervous volume, punctuating her words with a slight bow and an uncertain salute.

 


 

‘This was a mistake.’ Lyra thought.

 

The monstrous entity charged at Aurora’s mech head-on, its incredible speed carrying it forward with unstoppable momentum. The collision between the two unleashed a catastrophic burst of energy, shrouding the mech in a blinding explosion.

 

“Damn it! Aurora!” Draco yelled in the comms.

"Aurora, respond! Are you alright? We're coming to get you!" Lyra exclaimed.

 

What was intended as a straightforward reconnaissance mission alongside Enigma VII has turned into an encounter with a higher number of Enlightened forces than friendly ones, that being none since we haven’t even seen any Enigma VII members.

 

At that moment, "Orion, come with me! We'll divert the T4's attention. Draco, Lyra, get Aurora to safety!" Commanded Caelum.

 

In sync, Team Noir sprang into action. Orion and Caelum fired at the formidable Enlightened threat, while Draco and Lyra rushed toward the collided mech, The Eclipse. Quickly once the T4 was distracted Draco and Lyra both got out and approached the downed mech. Their movements were swift yet careful, a balance between urgency and caution.

 

"Lyra, be ready to stabilize her once we get her out," Draco instructed, his voice laced with a sense of urgency.

 

Lyra nodded, her focus shifting to the task at hand. As they reached the entrance of the mech's cockpit, they assessed the situation. Aurora was unconscious, her body slumped in the pilot's seat. The impact had caused some of the controls to malfunction, adding to the challenge.

Draco's experienced hands worked swiftly, manipulating the control panels to release the safety restraints that held Aurora in place. As the restraints gave way, he gently cradled her, carefully lifting her limp form from the cockpit seat.

 

"Steady, Lyra," he said, his voice a mix of encouragement and concentration.

 

Lyra positioned herself to provide support, ensuring Aurora's head and body were properly aligned as Draco eased her out of the cockpit.

With synchronized effort, they managed to extricate Aurora from The Eclipse. As they carried her away from the damaged mech, Lyra's eyes darted around, her mind already calculating the best route to safety.

 

"Let's get her to cover," Lyra said, her voice determined.

 

Draco nodded in agreement, his gaze never leaving Aurora's pale face. Together, they navigated the chaotic battleground, carefully avoiding the crossfire as they moved towards a safer location.

Their movements were precise and swift, a testament to the trust and camaraderie that had been forged through countless missions. As they reached a relatively sheltered area, Draco gently laid Aurora down, ensuring her comfort even in the midst of chaos.

 

"Lyra, do what you can for her," Draco urged, his eyes filled with a mix of concern and resolve.

 

Lyra nodded, her hands already in motion as she began to assess Aurora's condition. The sounds of battle continued to rage around them, but in this moment, their focus remained solely on their fallen teammate.

Lyra quickly assessed Aurora's condition, her trained eyes scanning for any immediate signs of injury or distress. As she examined Aurora's vitals, she noted a shallow but steady breath, indicating that she was still breathing, albeit unconscious. 

Carefully, Lyra checked for any visible injuries, her hands moving deftly over Aurora's body. While there were no obvious external wounds, Lyra couldn't rule out the possibility of internal injuries or concussions due to the impact.

 

"Draco, I don't see any major external injuries, but we need to get her back to the MHQ for a more thorough examination," Lyra reported, her voice steady despite the urgency of the situation.

Draco nodded in agreement, his concern mirrored in his eyes. "Let's get her stabilized and then move out. Caelum and Orion have our backs for now."

 

Lyra worked quickly, administering a small dose of a stabilizing agent to help maintain Aurora's vitals. She adjusted a small medical device on Aurora's wrist, which would monitor her condition and record the data.

 

"There, that should help stabilize her for now," Lyra said, her tone a mix of relief and determination. "We need to get her to safety and proper medical attention as soon as possible."

 

Draco nodded again, his focus unwavering. Together, they carefully lifted Aurora, supporting her weight between them. 

Lyra and Draco carefully maneuvered, their steps deliberate and synchronized as they carried Aurora's unconscious form. As they approached Lyra's mech, Lyra quickly accessed the cockpit’s rear compartment, a small space that had been designed for cargo but would now serve as a makeshift stretcher.

 

"Help me lay her down here," Lyra instructed, her voice focused yet gentle. Together, they eased Aurora onto the padded surface, making sure she was positioned comfortably.

 

With careful precision, Lyra and Draco positioned Aurora on the padded surface within the rear compartment of Lyra's mech. The restraints were secured, ensuring that she would remain stable during the journey.

 

"Alright, she's secured," Lyra confirmed, her voice a steady reassurance as she glanced at Draco.

Draco nodded, his concern evident in his eyes. "Keep her safe, Lyra."

"I will," Lyra replied, her gaze lingering on Aurora for a moment longer before she climbed into the pilot's seat.

 

Draco quickly exited and ran to his mech. Lyra watched as her mech's systems hummed to life under her command, and with a sense of determination, she began to guide the mech back toward the Mobile Headquarters.

The battle raged on around them, but Lyra's focus remained unwavering. Ensuring the well-being of their teammate took precedence, and Lyra skillfully navigated through the chaos and quickly approached the large door they entered from.

 

As they approached the door, a sudden and thunderous crash shattered the air. Without warning, another T4 burst through a nearby wall, its massive form barreling forward with reckless force. Lyra and Draco's mechs were caught off guard, the impact sending tremors through their frames and causing them to stagger.

Lyra's hands moved swiftly over the controls, her heart racing as she regained control of her mech. She fought to stabilize its balance, her focus shifting between the damaged wall, the new threat, and the safety of her team.

Draco's mech, too, jolted from the impact, but he swiftly recovered, his reflexes honed by countless battles. His fingers danced across the controls, his movements fluid as he reoriented his mech to face the unexpected adversary.

 

Immediately the T4 tore chunks of wall from its surroundings with raw power, and with a forceful heave, hurled the debris toward Lyra and Draco's mechs. The pieces of shattered wall hurtled through the air, propelled by the T4's immense strength, aiming to strike its targets with blunt and jagged force.

Lyra expertly weaved through the onslaught, her instincts guiding her as she navigated the battlefield's treacherous dance, avoiding most but still taking a hit. The mech shook as alarms sounded with sparks flying inside the cockpit.

 

Comm Sys - Warning - Damage sustained

 

The onslaught of the T4's attacks intensified, Lyra's mech deftly evading a barrage of incoming projectiles. The air crackled with tension as Draco's swift maneuvers kept him just out of harm's reach, narrowly avoiding a devastating swipe.

 

Lyra's determination blazed brighter, her fingers dancing over the controls as she retaliated with a volley of precision shots. Draco's firepower joined hers, the synchronized assault creating a chaotic ballet of destruction. Despite their best efforts, a powerful strike landed against Lyra's mech, sending it reeling back.

Draco's instincts kicked in, his mech intercepting another attack meant for Lyra. The impact rocked his mech, but he maintained his stance, his resolve unwavering. Lyra surged forward, unleashing a barrage of bullets that temporarily staggered the T4, creating an opening for Draco to launch a counterattack.

 

However, their advantage was short-lived. The T4 swiftly retaliated, launching a powerful strike that connected with Draco's mech. The force of the impact sent Draco's mech skidding backward.

At the same time, as Lyra focused on her offensive assault, a split second of vulnerability emerged. The T4 capitalized on the opening, unleashing a devastating attack aimed directly at Lyra's mech.

 

The looming danger was palpable, and Lyra's heart raced—suddenly another hand grabbed onto the joystick, “MOVE!” A voice yelled as the hand jerked the controls.

 

Lyra's mech deftly sidestepped the onslaught, swerving gracefully to the side. The air crackled with tension as her swift and calculated movement allowed her to narrowly evade the lethal trajectory of the T4's attack.

 

“Hah, that was close wasn’t it?” A voice called out.

Lyra immediately looked back at the voice, ”Aurora! You shouldn’t be up!”

“I'm alright, we have bigger problems to worry about right now,” She paused, ”And guess what, now I have a plan. We just stand here and wait. We don’t need to do anything.” The younger pilot said.

Lyra looked confused, ”What?”

“Look,” Aurora pointed at the T4.

 

Gazing towards the T4, Lyra spotted a flurry of white blurs in the air, swiftly realizing they were drones. Their sudden appearance left her puzzled – where had they originated? Before she could voice her question, a loud crash interrupted the moment.

Suddenly a giant silver mech burst through a nearby wall, its powerful frame hurtling forward like a silver comet. In a display of sheer brute force and unrelenting determination, the mech barreled towards the T4 with unwavering resolve.

The collision was an explosion of kinetic energy, a thunderous impact that reverberated through the air. The silver mech's body slammed into the T4 with unyielding force, the combined momentum sending shockwaves through the battlefield.


Hi :P

I actually wrote a different chapter for chapter 3 but, I was like, man it would be cool if we had this instead, and my little pantser brain is like hehehoha, so here it is.

Man being a pantser is stressful, I finished this chapter like 4 hours before my upload schedule and that's only after finding a free steam game that I played for like 3 hours straight, Smh. Fortunately I have the original chapter to upload tomorrow, so I have time to actually plan farther ahead. Soon, Am Pantser I No Longer.

Once again your comments, give me serotonin and dopamine, Many Thanks. Also if there are any mistakes tell me, I'll fix it.

3