Chapter 32: Paula Moretti
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

he next day was little different from the last. He went through his morning routine and commute, got to the office before 9:00 a.m. and went about the business of catching up with work long neglected by those before him. He found the time went quickly, with the highlight of his day lunch with Bob and working with Katie. Over the next few weeks, he would find himself asking Bob to go to lunch earlier, in no small part to be back in the office before or as soon after Katie arrived as possible. He was growing very fond of her and looked forward to their time together. But this week he and Bob went out sometime between noon and 1:00 p.m. for their usual hour-plus lunch at the local eateries. Dan loved his time with Bob, who quickly became not just a colleague but a trusted friend.

His feelings for Katie were different. He was spending a lot of time with her and wanting to spend even more. She was a great secretary, and a very special person. Unlike his time with Bob, though, he began to have some feelings of guilt about his time with her and how good it made him feel, especially when he was spending less and less time with Linda and not regretting it nearly as much as he should.

Five weeks to the day from Dan’s start date, Marvin burst into his office at 1:00 p.m. while Katie was entering data on the computer and Dan was busy reviewing the lesson plans of Ms. Hunter who had not only made good on submitting all late lesson plans by the end of the week when he had first evaluated her class but had kept current from then on with thoughtful and detailed lesson plans and had decided to keep her class rather than attempting a change. He was due to visit her again today and was preparing for that visit.

“We got it, Dan. We got it!” Marvin said excitedly.

“What did we get,” Dan asked puzzled.

“The approval from State Ed. It just came in. No requests for additional information, changes, clarifications . . . they accepted it as written in just over a month. Congratulations. We now have a new program for your new lab!”

“Well,” Dan said with a broad smile, “I did not expect an answer so soon. That’s terrific!”

“I haven’t even called the Melameds yet. They’re going to be over the moon over this. I’ve gotta run, but I wanted you to be the first to know.” And with that, he slapped Dan on the back and was gone as quickly as he had come.”

“Geesh,” said Dan. “I’ve never seen him so excited.”

Katie said nothing but went to him and put her arms around him, giving him a tight hug.” He hugged her back and they just stood there for some time holding each other in silence, until she whispered “Congratulations, Dan. This is really terrific,” and broke away from him.

“Thanks, Katie. I couldn’t have done it without you.”

“Bull feathers,” she said emphatically. “I had nothing to do with it, and neither did anyone else. This was all you.”

Just as he was about to argue the point, there was another knock at the door. This time it was Bob who heartily shook Dan’s hand and patted him on the back at the same time. “You son of a gun. I knew you’d get it done, but I thought they’d make it more of a challenge for you. Well done! I bet you the Melameds send you a $20 gift basket as thanks—if they’re in a particularly good mood,” Bob chortled, “Let’s go out and celebrate.”

I can’t now, I’ve got an evaluation coming up. “But what about tomorrow at noon?”

“Sounds great,” Bob said. Champagne lunch instead of beer!” Bob said.

“And it’s on me—no arguments. You’re invited too, Katie if you can get here around noon?” Dan said, turning to Katie, hoping she’d agree. “Told you I could not have done this without you.”

“Sure,” she said. “If you really want me to come.”

“You bet your Easter bonnet I do, kiddo. I’ll invite Marvin too.”

“He won’t be able to make it tomorrow. He’s been summoned to the mother ship, “Bob responded. We can let him take us out some other time. He definitely owes you lunch, and I’ll tag along to make sure he doesn’t take you to Burger King,” Bob quipped.

“I don’t want to exclude him. Let’s do it day after tomorrow, then. My treat. I want to go to a nice place and don’t want Marvin to pick up the tab. But for now, go away and let me get some work done,” Dan said, said laughing. “What good is it if we have a new program I can’t implement because I’m fired for neglect of office?”

“Your job is more secure than Marvin’s right now. I guarantee it—at least for the next week or two.” Bob said, chuckling as he went out the door.

As soon as he left, just as Dan was sitting down at his desk, there was another knock at the door. “Geesh, this is going to be a long day,” Dan thought, as Katie opened the door and a young woman came in, walked up to his desk, and sat down across from him, not waiting for an invitation to do so.

“Hello Dean Amor. I’m Paula Moretti, a student worker.”

“Hello Ms. Moretti” Dan said. “What can I do for you?”

“I’m actually here to see what I can do for you.” She replied, giving him a broad smile, and tossing her dirty-blonde curls over her shoulder. She was 18 or 19 years old, very well dressed in expensive tight-fitting designer jeans and a silk blouse. She was very pretty and nearly as petite as Katie herself. “I’m currently working for Ms. Smith and Ms. Washington as their work study student. I help them with their computer and typing labs. And I help out in reception too. But I’d much rather work for you, at least part of the time. Could you use my help a couple of days a week? I’m working to help pay for the tuition and student loans while attending the AOS program here.”

Dan smiled as it was very clear to him from her clothing, stylist, and jewelry that she did not need the money. But what he said was, “I appreciate your willingness to help, but I already have a secretary, as you can see.”

“Oh, I know. Katie and I know each other. We even live in the same neighborhood in Howard Beach. We ride to school together sometimes.” That was true, as Dan would later learn. “But she only works part time and I’d like to supplement what she does or do anything else you assign me to do. I am an excellent typist, I can file, work the copying machines, or just be an all-around gofer. I can work whenever you like—my schedule is very flexible—days, nights, evenings or even weekends if needed.”

“I really appreciate it, Ms. Moretti, but Ms. Ricci is very efficient, and my needs are modest. Also, I’m pretty much of a hands-on guy, preferring to do most of my correspondence and computer work myself.”

“I love working for a hands-on boss,” she said in a perfectly innocent tone through large green eyes that fluttered constantly left to right as she alternated focusing on Dan’s left and right eyes while she spoke.

“I’ll keep you in mind, though I’m good for now,” Dan said.

“All right. I just wanted to offer my services. I can work for Mr. Lantz too, but I’d much rather work for you if you’ll have me,” she said looking back over her shoulder at him as she walked towards the door and left.

0