Ch. 15: A magically binding contract.
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hermes had seen three parts of Mt. Olympus: The inside of the Olympians’ hall. Specific rooms in Hera & Zeus’ mansion. And a brief run through Apollo’s Olympus home. Abundant with skylights.

As he was escorted down the street, he couldn’t look straight. He didn’t know buildings could be so perfectly structured. Or so expertly painted. Not one home or shop had a flaw. All atop a cloud that reflected the color.

He could only guess who the blood-red cloud and its wide fortress of a home belonged to. The multi story pink home was obvious. The home with more plant life than decoration had a few contenders. But the mansion dripping with waterfalls out of every window wasn’t a mystery.

They continued to the mansion at the end. Zeus & Hera’s estate. Where a servant was waiting. Apollo saw her subtly knock on the door before addressing them.

“Good morning, Lord Apollo,” Iris greeted. Her voice and smile dropped, “Hello, Hermes.”

Hermes forced an insincere, “Hello, Iris.”

“Morning, Iris.” Apollo nudged Hermes, “Get it out of the way now.”

Hermes grumbled a little. Cheeks puffed and arms crossed. Iris now believed that he was Zeus’ son without a doubt.

Apathetic, “I’m sorry for how I talked to you when you were at Apollo’s temple. Please forgive me.”

“It’s ‘Lord Apollo’,” Iris corrected.

“I’m right here. I’ll defend myself.” Apollo asked, “Now Iris, do you forgive him?”

Iris hated her epithet sometimes. Apollo’s smooth voice. The elegant request. It turned her eyes as pink as Aphrodite’s house.

Swooning, “Yes, Lord Apollo.”

Hermes mimicked under his breath, “Yes, Lord Apollo.”

Apollo flicked the back of Hermes’ head. The pain was more from the heat than the impact.

“I assume Queen Hera is waiting?” Apollo asked.

Behind the door was a ‘Welcome’ banner. Servants all lined up. In the middle, was the King.

“Not just the queen, my boys!” Zeus greeted.

Between Zeus’ legs was Hermes’ favorite animal. Just as happy to see him.

“Ram!” Hermes zipped past Iris to Zeus.

To Hermes’ surprise, Zeus caught him. With ease. Zeus barely put any effort in intercepting his son.

The king held Hermes’ torso by his palm. Like a waiter holding a tray.

“No running in the house,” Zeus instructed. “We have a courtyard for that.”

“Yes sir. Father…King.” Hermes asked, “How do you want me to address you?”

“Father in private. King during business.”

“Yes Father.”

Zeus turned Hermes toward Hera.

“Morning Queen Hera.”

“Good morning,” Hera acknowledged.

Zeus set Hermes down. Two seconds later, Hermes was hugging his beloved pet. Scratching Ram’s neck and telling the animal how much he missed him.

Iris almost threw up in her mouth. Green eyes as Ram gave Hermes a loving nuzzle.

“Iris, back to your duties,” Hera ordered.

Iris bowed, “Yes, my Queen.”

Zeus moved things along, “Now, how’s about a tour of your new house!”

Hermes smiled from ear to ear. His sandal wings flapped. Levitating him just a little.

Apollo saw this as his chance to leave, “I’ll leave you two to your bonding. If I may, I’ll be heading back to my temple.”

Zeus, simultaneously keeping Hermes from flying up with one finger, waved his older son off with the other.

“Have fun with the mortals, son. Don’t forget, the meeting is in a few days.”

“Actually, Lord Apollo,” Hera said. “You & I need to have a quick conversation.”

The king & queen only glanced at each other. Without a word to Hera, Zeus placed Hermes before the staff. Keeping him still with a single finger.

“Alright! Let’s introduce you to the staff!”

Hermes was shown how to properly shake hands. Plenty of hands to practice. And he didn’t leave until he knew everyone by name.

Hera found a room during the hospitality lesson. Apollo had slipped a note to Zeus before following her in. Hera noticed, but didn’t quite care. Not yet.

In the room, Apollo spoke first,
“I already had Hermes apologize to Iris.”

“I heard,” Hera informed. “Eris is behind the boy stealing from you. And I suspect she’s been manipulating him beyond that.”

Apollo crossed his arms, “That explains everything. Why is she even a goddess?”

Hera stayed quiet long enough for them both to hear Zeus beyond the door. His loud laughter answered Apollo’s question.

“For the foreseeable future, I need that boy to remain with you when he’s on Earth. I recommend supplying your temple with better security.”

Apollo counted off, “Firstly: No amount of human guards can handle a god. Secondly: If she’s after Hermes, why not just restrict her?”

“I am. I’m covering all aspects of the situation.”

Apollo scoffed, “Finally: I held up my end of the deal. He’s all yours. Or rather, he’s Fathers.”

Hera clasped her hands and pulled out Ambrosia. A honey-like liquid inside a spiraled glass. Both in color and texture. Cool as ice in spite of its surroundings.

It emitted light from inside the container. When it swirled, so did the glow. The tiny white specs like perpetually falling snow stayed within the liquid no matter what. Never tracing the container.

Hera’s bargain was simple, “If you keep Hermes as your pupil, thus keeping him away from Eris’ influence, I’ll crown you, Lord Apollo, with another epithet.”

Apollo knew better than to reach for the ambrosia. His hand still tried. Like he wasn’t in control for a moment.

Hera put it away. Now confident she had Apollo’s answer.

“Do we have a deal?”

Apollo hated the smug grin Hera sported. Her outstretched hand was more like an offer to touch poison ivy. Beyond that itch, was delight.

“What’s the epithet?” He asked.

“Prophecy,” Hera explained, “This way you can see any future thieves coming.”

Apollo heard everything he needed, “Deal!”

They shook hands. Apollo’s lyre symbol and Hera’s lily flashed. The oath was sealed.

With that matter of business done, Hera was ready to be out of the room. Apollo didn’t want her to go just yet.

“If I may ask,” Apollo condescendingly stated, “Why are you so interested in helping Hermes?”

Hera opened the door, “I’m interested in preventing another Eris,” and let it slam behind her.

Apollo left a moment after. Fantasizing about power to come. All the possibilities had him star eyed.

If he had the epithet now, perhaps he could have foreseen the snake hidden in the drawer.

End

0