Ch.10: Villain With Good Publicity
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Queen Hera walked down the streets of Olympus. Perfectly cut stones atop a flattened cloud. Each of her steps changed the colors under her. From transparent to purple.

Her assistant tried to keep up. For every three steps Queen Hera took, Iris had to take six. Their height difference was the same as Hera & Hermes.

Iris’ short rainbow hair bobbed with her. Her colorful steps clanked where Hera’s were subtle. Also, like Hermes, she spoke as if she were on a time limit.

“Lady Persephone responded ‘no comment’ when offered the 11th Olympian position. Lady Demeter’s response was filled with words I’d rather not repeat.”

“Understood. Continue with status reports,” Hera said.

Iris flipped the page on her clipboard, “Lord Ares is training Spartans. He also offered an apology for the ‘misunderstanding’. Stating, ‘She’ll know what I’m talking about’. Lady Athena is back in Athens to welcome her new followers. I was unable to speak with Lord Poseidon or Lord Hades. Lord Hades for the usual reason. Lord Poseidon instructed me to ‘come back later’.”

“Was he showing off?”

“Yes ma’am. He was chariot racing with his assistant, Nerites,” Iris explained.

Exasperated, “Ladies Artemis, Aphrodite, & Lord Apollo?”

“Aphrodite was,” Iris blushed, “preoccupied with company when I arrived. I apologize.”

Iris’ eyes were normally gray. Like two storm clouds. When the memory resurfaced, they briefly changed to bright pink. They matched her flushed cheeks.

Hera moved on, “The twins?”

Iris waved her hand. A shower of glitter revealed a bow and quiver. Every arrow was freshly made.

“Lady Artemis gifted me another bow. She implied I should leave your teachings for hers, again.”

Hera envisioned punching Artemis in the face. Multiple times. It helped calm her down.

She deeply inhaled, “Continue.”

Iris vanished the bow, “Lord Apollo left with a ‘Hermes’ to Hephaestus’ forge. Would you like me to check on them later?”

Hera didn’t answer. Not out in the open. Not with multiple gods & goddesses nearby.

This bit of information, Hera waited until they arrived at her home. A massive estate larger than Apollo’s temple. Perfectly symmetrical and gold-lined over marble.

Iris opened the door for her Queen. Only following in her after Hera gave the ok.

The door shut, and Hera explained Iris’ new role.

“Lord Apollo is to report to you if I’m not available once a week. King Zeus & I agreed to let Apollo train the boy in becoming a messenger God. If Apollo is reporting to you, you are to tell me about their progress or lack thereof.”

Iris felt a panic set in her chest. She tried to appear composed. But Hera could see the nervousness in her assistant's shifting yellow eyes.

“Queen Hera. I thought I was, b-but I’m,”

Hera instructed, “Speak clearly, young woman.”

“Am I being replaced?” Iris asked. Now gripping the clipboard tightly. “If I did something wrong, I apologize.”

“You are my messenger. Hermes will be King Zeus’. That is all.”

Iris exhaled softly. Her anxiety fell. Eyes returned to gray.

“Thank you, Queen Hera.”

“Don't thank me just yet.” Hera kept walking, “You accept another one of Artemis’ gifts, and I’ll let her take you.”

Iris kept up with her goddess, “Yes, ma’am.”

The house was occupied by servants cleaning everything. Not students or followers. Iris was the only pupil of Hera’s in the home.

The other God of the house carried Ram under his arm.

“Baa!”

“I’ll put you down when you stop chewing on things,” Zeus replied.

Hera & Iris squinted at the king. Pure confusion in both of their stares.

Iris bowed her head before long, “Good Morning, King Zeus.”

“Morning Iris! Morning my Queen~!” Zeus immediately saw the bags under Iris’ eyes. “And good night. Go get some sleep.”

Hera cleared her throat. She didn’t want to argue in front of her assistant. Or any of the help.

Nevertheless, “She has a full schedule today. We’re only wrapping up the morning report.”

Zeus took Iris’ list, “When was the last time you slept?”

“It’s okay, King Zeus. I can finish,”

Sternly, “I do not like repeating myself.”

“6 days ago,” Iris squeaked. Her eyes flashed yellow.

Zeus raised a brow at Hera. Hera said nothing.

“I need to spend time with my wife. You need a break.” Zeus waved her off toward one of the many guest rooms, “I’ll send for you tomorrow.”

Iris looked up to Hera. She still said nothing. Hera wasn’t even looking at Iris. Her brow was furrowed at Zeus.

Iris didn’t wait to stick around.
Once she was gone, the monarchs spoke.

“You’re too strict,” Zeus began.

“You’re carrying a wild animal,” Hera retorted.

“Actually, Hermes did a decent job training this,” Zeus lifted the ram to check, “boy.”

“Hermes shouldn’t exist in the first place.”

Hera stormed toward their chambers. Up the spiraling stairs with Zeus in pursuit. Every worker found something to look at as they passed.

“Well, he does. So the way I see it, we can mope and ignore it. Or we can raise him and make sure he turns into a good man.”

Hera walked faster. The workers' eyes weren’t on them. But Hera was smart enough to know their ears worked.

As they reached their bedroom, Hera called down the hall, “Forget you heard anything!” Then, she slammed the door.

Her & Zeus’ bedroom had a high ceiling. Purple drapes and sheets with yellow lined tiles and stitching on the furniture.

Zeus stood in the center. The skylight above him cast a spotlight.

He let Ram down, “Don’t eat my furniture.”

Ram made his way toward the bowl of fruit on the table.

Hera continued, “You still haven’t learned anything. This is no different from with the twins!”

“What are you talking about?” Zeus tried not to shout, “How does me trying to ease Hermes into our life the same as-

“That’s not what I meant, and you know it,” Hera interrupted.

“Well, what do you mean?” Zeus listed off, “Me making sure he’s got a good teacher? Because you and I both know I’m nowhere near as intelligent as Apollo. Keeping him on earth while his room gets constructed? Making sure a child has food and clothes? Trying to plan out instead of winging it? I know I wasn’t great with Eris. Or Ares, or the twins. But cut me some slack for not wanting a fifth strike.”

“There shouldn’t be a fifth strike!” Hera stopped herself from yelling further. Her deep breath was filled with rage. Like the act of breathing was upsetting to her.

“Apollo & Artemis should’ve been MY kids. You swore that this would never happen again. Hermes should be MY son.”

Zeus pinched the bridge of his nose, “I said I was sorry. Me saying it again isn’t going to fix anything.”

“No, you didn’t!” Hera’s blood was starting to boil. “You couldn’t even apologize to me for being unfaithful. Again!”

Zeus crossed his arms. He spoke calmly and diligently. As if his words were rehearsed.

“Fine. I apologize. I assure you, this won’t happen again. The next child I have will come from you.”

Hera scoffed. The whites of her eyes had gone red. She couldn’t even look at Zeus.

It was the exact same pose. The exact same tone of voice. The exact same words he spoke when she discovered a young Apollo & Artemis.

“You’re a good king,” Hera admitted. “And that’s the only reason I’ll stay here. In private, our marriage is over.”

Zeus acted aloof. Shrugging and narrowing his brows.

“W-what does that mean?”

Hera turned and left. Before her foot passed the doorway, she snapped her fingers. The echo rumbled the room.

Iris’ clipboard was back in Hera’s possession. The drapes and furniture lost their violet colors. Every piece of Hera’s wardrobe vanished.

“It means, I’ll be commissioning another room after they’re done with Hermes’.”

She let the door slam. Shut off, Hera checked the halls to see if she was alone. One man was carrying lumber to the new room. Another with a box of golden apples and a metal bucket.

The only woman in the hall just happened to be waiting outside her parent’s room.

“Trouble in paradise?” Eris asked.

“Not now, Eris.” Hera left for anywhere other than there.

“Story of my life.” Eris floated behind her mother. “Couldn’t find your little rainbow, but I’m happy to tell you the giant snake is gone. And if I’m not mistaken,”

Eris found herself trapped in a bubble. Again, Hera couldn’t hear a word from her least favorite child.

Hera could find a guest room. Unoccupied by anyone. Out of sight from everyone.

No one saw the queen crying.

End

0