Ch.12: Rich Kid Sidekick meets Street Urchin Kid Sidekick
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Iris didn’t always agree with King Zeus. Thanks to Queen Hera. But the break did wonders.

No bags under her eyes. No stiff joints. No pinch in her spine.

She approached the Olympus main gate. A quick inhale. A confident exhale. Iris was ready for the job her Queen had for her.

The guards stood firm. The golden gates stayed shut. Iris hid her groan.

She showed the emblem on the back of her tunic. Hera’s seal shimmered. A purple lily safe inside a violet ball.

“Good Morning. Official exit on behalf of Queen Hera.”

Iris faced them. The gates slowly parted. The guards moved aside without a word. Neither looked Iris in the eye.

She didn’t care. Iris walked forward to the edge of Olympus. Standing on the last stone embedded in the cloud.

Beyond her was the sky. Below her was all of Greece. Miles below her.

If she were like Zeus or Hera, she could just zap down. Or as she’d seen Ares or Poseidon do, leap off. It would hurt immensely, but it wouldn’t kill her.

Unfortunately, Iris wasn’t that tough. Or that foolhardy. Luckily, little Iris had her own path down.

She clapped her hands. A sudden glow burst from her colorful hair. Each color of the rainbow revealed itself as her hands parted.

Her eyes flashed through the spectrum as the rainbow road stretched down. A thin path meant for one. A slide Iris never got tired of going down.

Her destination: a mile from Apollo’s temple. Right at the end of a line. The man at the end was very confused until Iris stuck her landing.

He greeted, “Oh! Uh, good morning, Lady Iris.”

“Not quite a ‘lady’ yet,” Iris said. “But good morning. What’s this for?”

The man could see the line stretching out toward the temple. No other break-offs. Not one person without an offering.

He knew better than to insult a goddess. Or, anyone with Queen Hera’s seal. Same difference.

“It’s for Lord Apollo’s temple.”

The line moved up by 5 people.

“I can see that,” Iris moved with the line. “Why are there so many people?”

“Lord Apollo’s new assistant. Prayers that take hours are done in minutes.”

The line moved up again by 3 people.

Iris checked the people. From old to young. From clean clothes to patched rags. From perfectly fit to coughing fits. The only time she’d seen a line like this was before a storm or during a drought.

7 people moved forward. Iris didn’t see a point in cutting ahead. So she began a census.

-Apollo’s Temple-

“Next please,” Hermes called.

A couple bowed and left the hall. In hand was their new childcare book and freshly picked medicine. The next person to enter was a woman with her arm in a sling.

“Need a new sling?” Hermes guessed.

“Sorry, but no. My arm has been like this for a month now. I’ve been to doctors and none of them can tell me why.”

Hermes wasn’t a doctor. So he called one.

“Yo, sunny-boy!”

“Lord Apollo!” He emerged from the temple, “How many times do I have to tell you it’s,” his burning eyes met the lovely face of the latest guest, “Beautiful.”

“I’m not calling you that,” Hermes replied.

Apollo moved his assistant out of the way and got really close to his patient.

“Where does it hurt the most?” Apollo asked.

She pointed to her elbow. Barely able to lift her arm. Grunting as she tried.

Apollo gently placed his fingertips on her joint. She braced for a sharp pain. A pain that never came.

He drew back, “You live near some bad doctors. It’s a torn tendon. And that sling is insufficient.”

Apollo wrote down a list of items. Then a routine list. He handed one to Hermes. One to the patient.

He ordered Hermes to, “Go get these.” Then he politely asked the woman to, “Follow this schedule. In a few months, your arm will be better than before.”

The woman graciously took her list, “Thank you, Lord Apollo. Uhm, do I begin today or-”

Hermes appeared behind her. A basket with the items requested. The child could fairly guess what the cloth and garden herbs were for. Everything else, he couldn’t be bothered.

“Got the sticks and herbs and stuff.”

The woman jolted. Checking between where Hermes was before and where he currently stood.

Apollo didn't waste any time bandaging her arm with the items. Using the crushed plants as a healing gel. And then putting her new cast in a better sling.

“Feel free to come back for a private check-up.”

She delightfully said, “Thank you, Lord Apollo. My wife is going to be so happy!”

The woman bowed to Apollo. She tussled Hermes’ hair. And made her way home.

The two boys stood annoyed.

“What’re you mad about?” Apollo asked.

“I hate random people touching my hair.”

Apollo poked at Hermes’ curls.

“God of clowns, I see,” Hermes said.

Facetiously, “Yeah, and you’re under my payroll. Now go dance.”

Hermes swiped at Apollo’s hands. Like a cat being bothered by a fly. Grumbling as he walked off.

The next person in line snapped Hermes out of his bad mood. She was his height. Light olive skin and no scars. Contrasting his darker honey skin. Her fancy robe of purple matched the clipboard under her arm.

Her white hair at the roots turned to a rainbow as it reached her shoulders.

“Hello, I’m looking for a,” Iris checked her clipboard, “Hermes. Have you seen him?”

His wings flapped. He stood with his hands on his ram belt buckle. Apollo’s symbol shined on his bracelet.

Plainly, “Yeah, I’ve heard of him.”

“Great!” Iris replied, “I just need him to answer a few questions. It’s a standard interview.”

“Interview?” He repeated. “How much are you offering?”

Arrogantly, “It’s not for a job. Also, a mortal like you should be delighted to work for the great and mighty, Lord Apollo.”

Hermes raised a brow. He could gather she was a demigoddess. But he didn’t care. Not after that comment.

“Yeah, all this unpaid labor sure is great. None of your business by the way,” he answered back.

“I’ll make sure to pass that along to Lord Apollo when I see him,” she noted.

Hermes chuckled, “I think he’s a bit old for you. Don’t ya think?”

Groaning, “Look, I waited in line. Just take me to see Hermes.”

“Of course.”

Hermes stood still and said nothing. His wings stretched out. His smug grin slowly turned Iris’ eyes red. Her eye change did throw Hermes for a moment.

Iris softly asked, “Do you know who you’re toying with?”

Not caring, “Do you?”

Apollo intervened. He lifted Hermes by his belt, like always.

“Afternoon, Iris,” Apollo greeted. “Was this reprehensible rascal bothering you?”

Iris was suddenly chipper. From a sizzling red to a happy sun orange.

“Afternoon Lord Apollo! Yes, he was.”

Hermes argued, “She started it.”

“No, I didn’t!” Iris argued, “How dare you lie to a God! Not just a God, but the great and knowledgeable, Lord Apollo!”

Hermes couldn’t help himself, “Oh I get it! You want to interview Hermes about your little crush on the clown god!”

Apollo tossed Hermes toward the line, “Go do your job!”

Iris’ eyes snapped to a fiery red. Her cheeks flushed. Her teeth ground behind closed lips.

Hermes had to ask, “What’s with the rage meter? Are you the half goddess of mood swings?”

Iris looked at Apollo. Mouth agape. Her eyes were now a confused dark gray.

“She’s Iris. Slotted to be the goddess of rainbows. And Queen Hera’s messenger,” Apollo answered. “Now go do something about the line.”

“S-She’s what?” He stuttered.

Iris stuck her tongue out. Victorious, she turned her back. Confirming Apollo wasn’t just blowing smoke.

It was at that moment Hermes realized, he screwed up. The fear of a literal goddess was in him. All from a purple flower.

“So,” Hermes attempted, “About that interview.”

“Goodbye,” Apollo said calmly.

Hermes sped off to assist the other workers. Apollo could just make out the frustrated grumbling. Iris was just thinking about the report she’d have about Apollo’s disrespectful staff.

Either way, the gust of wind that followed Hermes almost knocked Iris to the ground. Apollo caught her by the wrist.

Setting her straight, “I apologize for Hermes’ behavior. I’ll come up with a punishment later.”

Iris’ blue eyes widened, “That was Hermes?!”

“Did you think mortal children normally had winged sandals and super speed?”

Flabbergasted, “I assumed he was a Demi-god. But, I mean, How can the son of King Zeus be so,” she stopped before saying anything that could get back to King Zeus. “Anyway, Queen Hera wants weekly reports on Hermes’ progress while he’s on Earth.”

Scoffing, “I assumed as much.”

Apollo snapped his fingers. A multipage report fell into Iris’ hands. Right at the top was Apollo’s seal. Right next to the title.

‘Hermes’ Week 1 Report’.

“This makes my job easier,” Iris said. “Thank you, Lord Apollo.”

“Anything else I can do for you, Iris? Water? A snack?”

Iris waved her hand and teleported the report away.

“That will be all. I’ve got a few minor gods to check in with. Thank you, Lord Apollo. I look forward to meeting with you again.”

Iris bowed and Apollo let her leave.

On her way out, the 3 adults who had been in line behind her were already heading off the temple property. One elderly man was being helped down the stairs. It was the slowest Hermes had gone in a long time.

The gentleman patted Hermes' head. Then he walked off with his bag of medicine. Happy as can be with his new cane.

Iris didn’t think much of Hermes before all of this. She didn’t think much of what she just saw. At first.

It was the last image of Hermes before she went to see about the other gods. Him helping a mortal beyond his required task. Him showing more respect for a human than a god or a Demi-goddess.

She wanted to strike him down then and there.

End

0