Chapter 34 – Dual Cultivation?!
249 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
This mass post has been sponsored by none other than myself. Haha. I'll appreciate it greatly if any of you drop a follow and rating on my new story! Of course, after reading! I'm betting a lot on that as well as this one, and it wouldn't be possible to stay writing without you guys' support. And it wouldn't really take a lot for me to stay writing (I'm fro!m a third-world country so... shrug easy to stay afloat and do what I love with small support.) And no I'm not asking you to go sub to my patreon. Just getting your support through follows/ratings would be enough!

- A week later -

I stood in front of the cupboard, biting the inner side of my mouth. I licked my lip and moved my hand up to open the cupboard, but stopped, considering if this was really what I wanted to do. However, I just shook my head and moved my hand, opening the cupboard and shuffling through my clothes. They’d been moved here by the servants when I’d been moved to Bleak Town.

While shuffling through the clothes, I opened my system window to check the description of what I’d gotten, once more.

[Dual Cultivation]
You have been given the ability to dual cultivate. You can cultivate Gu and Qi simultaneously. However, it has some complications—ones you will not only need to figure out yourself but also come up with solutions.

I sighed yet again. I still couldn’t believe it. I’d freaked out the first time I read the name of this new Perk, afraid that it would turn out to be that. I did not wish to whore myself away even for the sake of power. I mean… I’d do it, but not preferably.

I’d calmed after reading the description and had had thoughts of showing my ire to the system for nearly giving me a heart attack. The name alone had been enough.

Anyhow.

This perk wasn’t just good, it was fantastic.

I wouldn’t be facing some heavenly soul-shattering bullshit just because I “dared” diving headfirst into Gu and Qi.

I waved the screen away and put my attention back inside the cupboard, finally finding what I’d been looking for.

They were the clothes that I saw fit for the latest goal I had in mind.

The past week had made it clear to me that I wasn’t used to my cultivation, nor was it stable in the slightest. Lastly, I lacked experience.

Ryujin had it, but I didn’t. Although we were fundamentally the same person now, it still didn’t mean I could use his experiences whenever I deemed necessary, and I was too… afraid to just let him roam free in my head. He was there, I knew it. If not his soul or whatever, his memories as well as experiences, they were all there—in the locked-away sections of my mind. I’d instinctively pushed them away. I had no desire to associate with them whatsoever, and that remained the same. Sure, I used them often—shuffling through as if they were a book—but I preferred to not touch them.

So, with that in mind, I was determined to go ahead and join an expedition into the mists under disguise.

Not only for experience but to make myself home in this body that had suddenly recovered its strength. Well, somewhat recovered.

The reason for the clothing in my hand aside, I closed the cupboard and walked to my bed.

I had Ryujin’s old robe in hand—from the time he had been a disciple.

Cradled in my palms, its fabric caressed my hand. A deep, rich red, woven with threads as fine as spider silk. The surface had intricate, golden embroidery that appeared quite peculiar and mysterious to me, but I also knew that this “design” might hold secrets of its own—the sect was quite old.

I unfurled the robe and observed the collar, it was adorned with symbols as well. The edges of the robe were trimmed with golden rune-like embroidery. I had a stupid question after seeing all this.

How do they afford all this shit? Likedon’t students fuck their robes up every now and then?

I shook my head and put it on, the material fell around me, fitting perfectly. Kicking my leg and tensing my muscles and arms around, I made sure that it was comfortable. Using the newest Gu technique I’d been working on for the past week, I would be ready to go out.

The technique was simply put, a program made to utilize Gu in such a way that my face would appear different. No major changes, just different enough that I wouldn’t be recognized.

Only then did I take a step outside.

A breath. A long, slow breath. Apparently, that was more than enough—it had a similar effect to coffee.

Is it because of the Gu-rich environment? Or cultivation in general

The question was rather interesting, however, I had no way of answering as of now, and no interest in doing so, either. The plan was simple.

Walk and try to join some expedition as a disciple.

***

With my hands tucked inside the sleeves of my robe, I strolled the premises of all the teams and groups—this was where the disciples and the senior disciples that were handling them were all stying

The sun cast dappled shadows through the trees, casting patches of light and shade on the ground. The air smelled of flowers and herbs, fresh and sweet. Birds darted among the branches, chirping and singing. I walked along the path, feeling the breeze on my face and the grass under my feet.

I found Master Shin sitting on a weathered stone bench, his eyes closed in deep concentration. His long white beard flowed gracefully down his chest, and his robes swayed gently in the breeze.

Master Shin, the senior disciple and one of the most respected figures in the sect. Approaching quietly, I cleared my throat, and his eyes opened.

“Master Shin,” I said, “may I have a word?”

He regarded me with a hint of curiosity. “You are one of the new disciple batches, aren’t you?" he asked, his voice gentle.

For now, I nodded. “Yes, Master Shin. I wanted to speak with you about something.”

He gestured for me to sit beside him, and I complied, folding my legs beneath me.

“I am not just an ordinary disciple, Master Shin,” I began. “I am Ryujin.”

Master Shin’s eyes widened slightly, and he studied my face. “Ryujin? Should’ve figured by now…” he sighed. “You never change, do you?”

“Believed so easily?” I raised an eyebrow.

He glanced at me. “Hasty attempt at hiding your face, honestly. Some scrutiny now and I saw what’s behind.”

I nodded.

My “technique” which I worked so hard on, was trash. Got it.

“Well, I guess you know why I’m here.”

Master Shin remained silent for a moment, his gaze steady. Then, he spoke, his voice soft. “I understand your desire for anonymity, Elder Wu. If you wish to keep your true identity hidden, I will respect your decision.”

I stood up and bowed my head. “Thank you, Master Shin. Your understanding means a lot to me.”

He smiled kindly.

I walked towards the disciples.

“ Look at him, stumbling around like a blindfolded child. I don’t get why Master Shin assigned him to our squad.”

“Maybe Master Shin sees potential where we can’t. Or perhaps he’s just feeling charitable.”

“Heh. Or maybe he’s just too kind-hearted for his own good. Either way, I don’t want his incompetence dragging us down.”

The voices reached me as I walked by them, and I couldn’t stop my eyes from rolling. Wow, just wowthe cliches don’t leave me, do they?

I shook my head, ignoring their banter, kids were kids after all. It didn’t matter that these buffoons were way older to be considered kids, but this was the cultivation world where age is very different. They might be older than any adult for a human, but they lacked mental age and maturity.

“I heard he comes from a prestigious lineage—” A third kid said to the other two, and that made me stop.

Hmm, that’s new.

I wanted to laugh, of course, but I refrained myself.

“—Maybe that’s why they’re keeping him around, despite his lack of skills.”

I glanced at them. Quite brazen to assume my lack of skills. But, oh well.

Just as I was about to continue walking, a deep voice cut through the air, commanding attention from every corner of the place.

“Enough idle chatter,” the voice said, resonating with authority. I turned to see Master Shin approaching.

“Youngsters,” he said, his eyes sweeping over everyone. “Do not underestimate the crimson mists. They are not to be taken lightly”

The disciples fell silent under his stern gaze.

“The reason I’ve gathered you here,” Master Shin continued, “is to inform you that you are ready to head into the crimson mists.”

Excitement rippled through the group, and some even started whispering.

“Finally!” someone standing close to me whispered. “I was getting tired of waiting!”

“I know right…” another one sighed, “so much waiting and shit.”

“Hey, stop it guys, don’t test Master Shin’s patience.”Another one whispered.

The disciples fell silent.

I glanced at a few of the others, their fists clenched, eyes focused. This was what they’d had been training for, the chance to explore the mysterious and dangerous crimson mists, rumored to be filled with treasures and dangers alike.

“But remember,” Master Shin said, his voice hardening, “you are not entering the crimson mists for mere adventure. There are treasures hidden within, ancient artifacts, and powerful relics left behind by those who came before us. These treasures are essential for the sect’s growth and strength—especially now.”

He paused, letting his words sink in before he continued, his tone serious. “Retrieve these treasures, and you will not only be contributing to the sect’s prosperity but you will also be rewarded handsomely. However, do not underestimate the challenges you will face. The crimson mists are teeming with monsters and unique, dangerous—for the lack of a better word—-places, each more perilous than the last.”

His eyes pierced through everyone.

“Your survival depends on your wit, your skill, and your ability to work together as a team. Those who return with treasures will be richly rewarded, but those who underestimate the dangers and fall prey to the crimson mists will not be mourned.

“And those who dare hide a treasure in hopes of making it big after… I hope you try. Easy way of removing those who aren’t loyal.

“Now go, prepare yourselves. Gather your supplies, check your weapons, and be ready at the eastern gate in ten minutes,” Master Shin commanded. “And remember, do not underestimate the crimson mists. May luck be on your side, disciples.”

With that, he turned and walked away, his robes billowing behind him. The disciples buzzed with anticipation and nervousness. Soon, those who needed anything dispersed hastily and others already made their way to the eastern gate.

I stood there, my hand on the hilt of the sword at my side, feeling excited for once.

I wanted to try new things—which, of course, weren’t new per se, but they were to me.

The crimson mists awaited, and soon we dove into it.

3