Chapter 93 – Safe Zone
346 3 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Amidst the chaos, groups of local guilds members and the army of aegis had united together to create safe zones, protecting civilians and facing the relentless beast invasion. These zones had become refuges in the storm, where the injured could receive care and terrified citizens could find some semblance of safety.

In one such area, a group of the Iron Shields Guild stood, their bodies covered in heavy armor and shields as large as themselves, standing as a barrier against the relentless attacks of the crystal beasts. They were determined to defend their position, to protect the vulnerable civilians who had taken refuge in this survival enclave.

The sound of numerous abilities flying from behind them, falling in the wave of crystal beasts reaping their lives, as well as the sound of blades clashing against the claws of the beasts and their roars, echoed through the area.

Reclusive in the area and traveling from injured to injured was the familiar figure of a woman with short green hair, eyes resembling two emeralds, and a scepter made entirely of wood with a small green crystal on top.

The Whisper of Life guild was known for its support type cultivators, but even among them, Sheyla's presence was on another level. Since the last time Kieran had seen her on the expedition, her cultivation had progressed rapidly, reaching the Silver rank.

The scepter in her hands emitted a soft green glow that fell on the wounded, healing them at a speed visible to the naked eye.

A seriously injured young man lay on a crude stretcher in a corner of the safe zone. His face was livid and covered in blood. His eyes closed in a state of semi-consciousness. Beside him, his sister, a teenage girl with tousled hair, held his hand anxiously.

Sheyla knelt next to the young man and gently put her hands on his wounds. The wood elemental particles gathered around her scepter focused, enveloping the bruised body in a healing green aura. The young man's breath became more regular, and the pallor of his face attenuated little by little.

The sister watched with admiration the healing power of Sheyla. Her eyes were filled with gratitude and hope as she silently whispered a prayer for her beloved brother's recovery.

Suddenly, a silhouette surrounded by shadow snuck among the guilds members, deftly avoiding the defense lines. The silhouette looked like a fox with a black sheath that seemed to absorb light, blending with darkness.

The mutterings of anxiety spread among the members of the Iron Shields Guild, who held the front line while their eyes anxiously scrutinized the wounded area. Several cultivators began to chase it, but they could not follow the speed of the fox, who had quickly managed to reach this vulnerable area, putting in danger the already weakened civilians.

Sheyla didn't hesitate, even though combat wasn't her strong point. She moved before the wounded, ready to protect them as the fox approached her with its mouth open, revealing its sharp fangs.

The injured, realizing the imminent danger, began to worry for Sheyla's safety. In a weak but concerned voice, one of them managed to articulate, "Sheyla, back off. Get to safety."

However, Sheyla didn't budge. The scepter in her hands was placed in front of her as her crystal essence circulated rapidly through her body. She tightened her grip, ready to use all her strength to push the fox away, when she saw a figure appear in the sky.

A cold glow shone in the dark sky, capturing Sheyla's attention. It plunged down in an instant, revealing a double-bladed sword, shimmering like a shooting star, that sliced through the air with devastating power.

The fox didn't have time to understand the situation when the sword went through its head before sinking into the ground, causing a slight tremor in the ground.

The silhouette of Kieran landed next to his double-bladed sword. The cultivators running after the fox stopped in their step. Kieran's appearance made them tremble in fear as their eyes fell on him. They raised their weapons instinctively in front of them.

"Wait!" Sheyla shouted in a clear voice.

The cultivators lowered their weapons. It was only then that they noticed the mother and daughter held in his arms. Kieran lowered them to the ground while resuming a human form.

Sheyla slowly approached the mother and daughter, her gaze filled with compassion. She gently placed her hands on their shoulders, transmitting soothing healing energy through her touch.

The green aura enveloped the two, dissipating the pain and distress that invaded them. The superficial wounds began to heal, and a sigh of relief escaped the mother's lips.

"It'll be fine now, don't worry," Sheyla whispered softly, her green eyes shining with a reassuring glow, "You are safe here."

The daughter, with her eyes still watery with tears, looked at Sheyla with admiration and gratitude. She whispered a shy "thank you" that was almost lost in the surrounding tumult.

Sheyla smiled warmly. She stayed close to them for a few more moments, making sure they were improving before turning to Kieran.

"It's been a long time since we've seen Kieran. Thank you for helping me to protect the injured."

"I was just bringing those two here to be safe. Do you know anything about the general situation in the city?" Kieran asked with a glint of urgency in his voice.

"I'm sorry. I haven't had much information about what's going on beyond this area. Communications are down, and we're completely isolated here."

Kieran's face darkened, but he forced a grateful smile, "Thank you nonetheless, Sheyla."

He turned around, starting to leave, when the mother's voice caught up with him as he fled.

"Wait, please!"

Kieran stopped short, turning slowly to the mother, who approached him cautiously, supported by Sheyla. Her gaze was filled with sincere gratitude mixed with a glimmer of anguish.

"I... I don't know how to thank you for saving my daughter and me," she stammered, tears in her eyes, "Without you, we would be... We would be dead. I cannot express how much this means to us."

Kieran didn't know what to say. He only helped the mother and daughter because he felt guilty for not being able to save Elora. He only nodded in their direction before changing back into his lycan form and quickly running away from the place.

Sheyla didn't know that Kieran was going to leave the safe zone. She didn't try to stop him when she saw him leave, even though his body was covered with numerous wounds.

Back when the horde of beasts had attacked them when they had reached the island, she had already tried to stop Kieran from joining the front line again, but without any success. She knew there was no point in trying to stop him.

 

'He would eventually return to the injured area when he couldn't fight anymore. I would heal him at that time. For now, I must focus on healing those in dire need,' she thought as she saw him leaving.

As Kieran quickly ran away from the safe zone, a group of cultivators from the Thundershields guild watched his departure with cautious eyes.

"Have you seen it?" one of them whispered.

"Yeah, that was Kieran Arvost, wasn't it?" replied another.

"Should we follow him?"

"To do what?"

"If we kill him, the Guild Master will surely reward us."

"The Guild Master? We haven't heard from him since the beginning of the crystal beast invasion. As far as we know, he may be dead or fled away. I don't care what the Guild Master wants. I currently have other issues to deal with than dealing with an order given by someone who doesn't care about my fate."

The Thundershields guild member watched Kieran leave, hesitating whether to run after him or not. Eventually, his gaze fell on the wave of crystal beasts attacking the safe zone, giving up all thought of pursuing him.

9