Chapter 110 – Martial Arts Hall
245 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*ding*

*ding*

*ding*

Kieran woke up slowly several hours later, relaxed. The sound of notifications repeating on his Aurora Collar had woken him from his deep sleep.

Looking around blankly, his eyes fell on Elseria, who was staring back at him.

His body suddenly stiffened, an incredulous expression appearing on his face as he realized the situation he was in.

'Did I actually fall asleep?'

He quickly stood up from his position against the tree.

"I'm sorry, I didn't think I'd fall asleep like that. Thanks for staying with me," he said quickly.

"It’s nothing, you looked tired," replied Elseria.

Kieran didn't know what to answer, and while he remained silent, Elseria stood up with her book in her hand.

"Farewell, Kieran," she said before walking away.

Kieran watched her leave until she disappeared from his sight.

"How could I fall asleep like that?" Kieran, who was still wondering how this happened, hadn't noticed that for the first time in one year, he hadn't had any nightmares.

*ding*

The sound of a new notification caught his attention.

Several messages came from the academy, telling him the class to which he had been assigned as well as the room where the courses he would have to take during the coming months would take place.

Going back through the list of messages, he saw several from Ryan asking him what he was doing and to join him in the Martial Arts Hall when he was finished.

Looking at the time on his Aurora Collar, he realized that he had spent more than four hours in this place.

Walking towards the Martial Arts Hall, he noticed several elves glaring at him, but he ignored them and went inside.

The interior of the Martial Arts Hall was as splendid as the exterior.

Dozens of students moved through rows of shelves containing old books.

Near the entrance of the Martial Arts Hall stood an old man behind a desk with many books on it. A holographic screen was in front of him. The old man seemed interested in what was displayed on his screen, but Kieran couldn't see what appeared on it.

When Kieran looked away from the screen to look at the old man, he felt a cold sweat running down his back while an invisible pressure seemed to weigh down his entire body.

Quickly moving away from the old man, he soon found Ryan in one of the sections of the Martial Arts Hall.

"What are you doing?" Kieran asked.

"You've finally arrived. I've been waiting here for four hours," Ryan replied.

"Sorry, sorry. I dozed off," Kieran said, laughing.

Ryan looked at his brother, and he didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Since leaving Kieran alone, he had been wandering around the Martial Arts Hall to keep himself busy, but when he looked into his brother's eyes, he saw that they seemed a bit different from earlier.

Ryan sighed before changing the subject, "Are you interested in any particular technique?"

"Hmm. Movement techniques?"

"Follow me."

Following Ryan, the two soon arrived in a section dedicated to movement technique. Kieran brought his hand closer to a book to try to inspect it when a transparent barrier appeared between him and the book.

"You can’t touch the books directly," Ryan said before continuing, "Connect to the academy website with your account. You should be able to access the information about the book as well as the price to pay to be able to study the technique."

Following Ryan's instructions, Kieran accessed his Aurora Collar, and shortly after, a window opened in front of him with the technique's information.

[Flickering Steps:

Introductory movement technique often practiced by young cultivators in the Mortal realm. The technique focuses on quick, short movements, similar to flickering candle flames. Practitioners use these quick steps to cover short distances quickly and avoid minor obstacles.

Details of the technique:

Short Step: The technique involves a series of short, rapid steps where the cultivator propels himself forward with puffs of crystal essence.
Energy Expenditure: Each burst of movement requires a small but notable amount of crystal essence, which, if overused, can lead to fatigue relatively quickly.

Acceleration and Deceleration: The technique excels at accelerating to high speeds in an instant. However, sudden stops or changes in direction can be difficult, often leading to tripping or loss of balance.

Precision and Control: Maintaining precise control during rapid bursts can be difficult, making it less effective for complex movements or navigating in tight spaces.

Price: 1,000 academic merit points.]

'I don't know if this price is high or not, but with the few points Ryan got in a month, the price for a technique of this quality seems to be high. My fighting style is focused on rapid movements and changes of direction, thanks to my earth platforms. This technique does not really suit me since changing direction is not its strong point. Maybe I should come back when I get more academic merit points,' Kieran thought.

The two continued to inspect several techniques before Kieran finally stopped after finding none that interested him.

"Is there a ranking for techniques within the Martial Arts Hall?" he asked.

"No, students discuss it on the academy forums, but it's not an official ranking. Why don't you buy one outside the academy? With the money you made in the rifts, you should be able to afford one," Ryan replied.

"I have enough nova credit to buy one, but I don't know how much a good movement technique would cost me. I need to save up to be able to buy the crystallized fire essence at the auction. I don't know yet how much I need to get it. I can't spend my money like that. If I can't find one, I'll wait until after the auction to buy one."

"In that case, you can try asking the Master of the Martial Arts Hall."

"The Master?"

"The old man at the entrance. He manages the security of the Martial Arts Hall and is also one of the professors of the academy. All the students call him the Master of the Martial Arts Hall. You can ask him for advice on a technique in exchange for some academic merit points."

"This old man? Let's do this."

The two headed towards the entrance. When Kieran saw the old man again, he felt the same invisible pressure, but when he looked at his brother next to him, he seemed to feel nothing.

'How strong is this old man's cultivation that I feel so much pressure just looking at him?'

"Excuse me, elder," Kieran said.

The old man looked up from his screen to look at Kieran before switching his gaze between him and his screen several times.

On its screen, played the video of a lycan confronting a young woman in a white room with headphones on her head.

"Greetings, how can I help you, young man?" replied the old man with a slight smile.

"I would like to know if you could help me find a movement technique."

The old man glanced quickly at his screen before looking back at Kieran.

"Of course, my services will cost you 20 academic merit points."

"Ok."

20 academic merit points were deducted from Kieran's account. The next moment, the old man gestured with his hand, and an information window appeared in front of Kieran.

[Earthbound Stride Technique (Incomplete):

The Earthbound Stride Technique is a movement technique found within the secret realm of the Transcendental Academy of Ostrion. Only half of the technique could be discovered, resulting in a technique whose strength is limited once beyond the Mortal realm.

The Earthbound Stride Technique is a fundamental movement technique deeply linked to the essence of the earth element. Practitioners exploit the ground stability of the earth to fuel their agile maneuvers. The technique emphasizes rapid changes of direction, allowing the user to quickly change course during combat or evade opponents.

Details of the technique:

Grounded Foundation: The technique roots the practitioner firmly to the earth, providing a stable foundation. This foundation is crucial for the rapid changes in the direction for which the technique is known.

Rapid Directional Changes: Using the essence of the earth element, practitioners can alter their course seamlessly, making unpredictable movements. It's like a dance where each step is precisely calculated, allowing for rapid changes of direction and confusing opponents.

Adaptability: The technique can be adapted to different terrains, from solid ground to rugged landscapes. Practitioners can maintain agility even in challenging environments, showcasing the technique's versatility.

Practitioners of the Earthbound Stride Technique learn to merge with the earth, harmonizing their movements with the regular rhythm of the earth itself. This elemental connection gives them a unique advantage, allowing them to navigate quickly and decisively across the battlefield.

Price: 10,000 academic merit points.]

Kieran smiled when he saw the details of the technique and how the earth element was used in this technique to help the cultivator, but his face darkened when he saw the price of the technique.

'10,000 for an incomplete technique? Is this old man trying to scam me?' he thought as he looked at the old man.

Seeing his look, the old man smiled, "Don’t you like this technique?"

*sigh*

"Thanks for the help, elder, but I can't afford to buy this technique yet."

"Don't worry, it's not going to disappear. You can come back whenever you want to buy it."

Kieran waved to Ryan before leaving the Martial Arts Hall together.

The old man watched them leave. His eyes moved over the video on his screen. The name Kieran Arvost could be seen written.

"Kieran Arvost. He seems quite promising," murmured the old man.

When Kieran and Ryan left the Martial Arts Hall, the sky was already turning dark.

"Why didn’t you look for another technique?" Ryan asked.

"This old man is a demon. I don't know how he knew that I had an affinity with the earth element. The technique he showed me suits my fighting style. I'm going to try to gain some points to be able to purchase it," replied Kieran.

"Let's go to the cafeteria before it's too late."

"Okay."

Following Ryan, the two walked through the academy as the sun disappeared, giving way to the light of the academy.

"By the way, have you received your class affiliation?" Ryan asked.

"Yes, I'm in second-year class 2-3. How about you?"

"Class 2-4. It's a shame we're not in the same class."

"We'll see each other in the afternoons. Don't tell me you miss me already?"

"Who misses you?" replied Ryan, looking away.

"Ahaha."

Kieran let out a happy laugh before putting his right arm around his brother's shoulders.

"Come on, I’ll treat you to a meal," he said.

"Meals are free!"

“All the more reason for me to treat you.”

"You...Are you stupid?"

"How dare you call your big brother stupid!"

"I’m just stating a fact!"

"You..."

Kieran suddenly tightened his arm around Ryan's neck, but before he could lock him, Ryan slipped out of his grip.

"You've done this to me too many times. Do you really think you can still get me with this?" Ryan said.

"Come back here!"

Kieran began chasing his brother, and as the two bickered along the way, several students looked at them with confused expressions as if they didn't understand how these two had gotten into the academy.

After several minutes of fierce struggle, the two reached the cafeteria before entering inside, regaining a correct attitude as if nothing had happened.

***

In another part of the academy, Elseria walked slowly towards the girls' dormitories, her thoughts fixed on the sight of Kieran sleeping under a tree.

"He's weird, but it was nice to be able to talk to someone. He was also able to see me too. Did the inscriptions no longer work, or did I not transfer enough crystal essence to active them?" she whispered to herself, looking at the bracelet on her wrist.

A figure suddenly appeared in front of her, forcing her to stop in her tracks.

"What do you want, Vaelin?" asked Elseria, taking a step back while staring at her brother, who was looking at her with cold eyes.

"Nothing. I came to congratulate you for making friends with a human," replied Vaelin.

"I don't know him," Elseria said quickly, but as she spoke, a slight, barely perceptible quiver crossed her eyelids.

"Eh, really? You must like being among the humans. You were able to escape your cage since we were here, and a human dared to approach you and even talk to you despite all our warnings. You must be really happy right now, but you shouldn't get used to it. Remember, once we return from this secret realm, we will come back home, where everyone knows about your sin and your abomination."

"I have committed no sin!" Elseria replied, raising her voice, both of her hands clenching into a fist.

"Can you really say that after killing our mother?" Vaelin's eyes suddenly grew colder.

Elseria bit her lip as she stared into his eyes, and while she stayed silent, Vaelin gave her one last look before leaving.

"Enjoy your time among the humans," he said, leaving the place.

Tears fell from Elseria's eyes, which she quickly wiped away before heading towards her room.

As Vaelin walked away, his eyes moved toward a direction.

"You need to stop following me everywhere, Talleon," he uttered in a low tone, yet his voice carried an undeniable air of authority.

An elf appeared behind him, bowing slightly for a moment, showing no fear of the Prince’s authority. The elf had short silver hair and piercing silver eyes. A little smile adorned his face.

"I'm just following the elder's orders, Vaelin."

"It's not because he is your grandfather that I can't do anything to you if you disobey me."

"I'm sure you can do anything to me, Prince, but I still need to follow you to protect you in all circumstances," as he replied, the smile on Talleon's face grew slightly.

"Don't cross the line."

"Instead of talking about this subject, shouldn't we do something about Elseria?"

"She can do whatever she wants here. I don't care. She will stay in her cage once we return to our kingdom."

The two of them slowly walked away, disappearing in the night.

7